NBA 2015-2016

Yep, agreed.

They have a defensive beast in Rodman and both Pippen and Jordan are incredible on both ends (Jordan was defensive player of the year) , unlike Curry and Klay are. They can guard one of Jordan or Pippen but not both.
Leonard is one of the best defenders in the NBA today yet he's seemingly also unable to stop both Curry and Thompson, even alongside teammates who're pretty solid defensively as well. This Warriors team has so many weapons, and I feel like you're underestimating Curry's abilities as a defender as well - he's not one of the best at his position but he can surely hold his own in most matchups.

Leonard is one of the best defenders in the NBA today yet he's seemingly also unable to stop both Curry and Thompson, even alongside teammates who're pretty solid defensively as well. This Warriors team has so many weapons, and I feel like you're underestimating Curry's abilities as a defender as well - he's not one of the best at his position but he can surely hold his own in most matchups.
Yes, agreed in most matchups he's absolutely fine and not an issue for me. That Bulls team is an entirely different proposition though.

Being old enough to remember the 95-96 Bulls quite well my personal opinion is that 2016 Spurs are better defensively. In today's NBA there is just so much more that you are not allowed to do and yet the Spurs manage to excel. Just to emphasize how much things have progressively eased, the "bad boy" Pistons from the late 80s were basically glorified thugs - but were a fantastic basketball team under the then current rules.

As to the Warriors and the Bulls, if I had to pick a winner I've got to admit even though I love the Dubs, I would lean towards Chicago. Under the old rules I think the Bulls would win in a five or six game series. Under the current rules, I would give the Warriors the edge (just). Overall though, if they played a best of 7 under both regimes, it's the Bulls for me. On the undercard I would take Draymond Green by TKO over Dennis Rodman in the 4th.

As much as Curry's defense is underrated, MJ would still score 30 on him easily. MJ and Pippen are probably two of the greatest defenders of all time at their position and the Warriors have never faced a team which has the players to keep up with both Curry and Klay on the defensive end and at the same time be able to get their points on offense.

Leonard not being able to stop Curry shouldn't surprise anyone - while he has the length and strength, he simply doesn't have the quickness to stay in front of Curry. The duo of Jordan and Pippen in their prime would cause Curry and Thompson all kinds of fits. Jordan would have taken it as a personal challenge to slow down Steph.

On a separate note, I think Curry and the Warriors as a team have gone backwards on the defensive end this season - teams have scored on them at will at times...luckily for them, they are nearly impossible to stop at the other end. In fact, statistically - I think, they are the worst team in terms of team D in the playoffs.

Leonard not being able to stop Curry shouldn't surprise anyone - while he has the length and strength, he simply doesn't have the quickness to stay in front of Curry. The duo of Jordan and Pippen in their prime would cause Curry and Thompson all kinds of fits. Jordan would have taken it as a personal challenge to slow down Steph.

On a separate note, I think Curry and the Warriors as a team have gone backwards on the defensive end this season - teams have scored on them at will at times...luckily for them, they are nearly impossible to stop at the other end. In fact, statistically - I think, they are the worst team in terms of team D in the playoffs.
While this is true, it is largely irrelevant in the big scheme of things. The general consensus is that only 3 teams have any real chance of winning the title this year: Warriors, Spurs, and Cavs. In the 6 games against those teams the Warriors have given up less than 91 pts/game and much of that was when games were already over. There are times, it is true, where they can lose focus. When it matters, they lock it down.

While this is true, it is largely irrelevant in the big scheme of things. The general consensus is that only 3 teams have any real chance of winning the title this year: Warriors, Spurs, and Cavs. In the 6 games against those teams the Warriors have given up less than 91 pts/game and much of that was when games were already over. There are times, it is true, where they can lose focus. When it matters, they lock it down.

73-9 speaks for itself and that includes some of the beatings they've handed out to the challengers - OKC, Spurs, Clippers (lol), Cavs. But, I just think, if they aren't careful, the right combination of poor shooting and their propensity to turn the ball over, might catch them out at some stage. Will it happen 4 times in a 7 seven game series? Very, very unlikely....but, it could happen.

Think Curry sits tonight - no way should they risk him.

73-9 speaks for itself and that includes some of the beatings they've handed out to the challengers - OKC, Spurs, Clippers (lol), Cavs. But, I just think, if they aren't careful, the right combination of poor shooting and their propensity to turn the ball over, might catch them out at some stage. Will it happen 4 times in a 7 seven game series? Very, very unlikely....but, it could happen.

Think Curry sits tonight - no way should they risk him.
I agree.

Think the raps/indi game tomorow could decide the series, If raptors can get a convincing win, or at the very least good performances from kyle and demar, that confidence might be able to see them through.

Another loss and i think they capitulate based on previous first rounds.

Arguably Durant's worst game ever? Just couldn't make anything. Frustrating. Although it took that for the Mavs to win (and on a waved-off buzzer beater) so still pretty confident. While a lot of people disagree I think this season Westbrook has surpassed Durant and this Thunder team is 'his team'. Since the injury Durant just hasn't been the same. Settles for too many long 3s and isn't aggressive enough.

Durant obviously had an all time shit game...but, he has been incredible this season. The injury is no longer an issue.

Take away Curry, and the following are MVP numbers -

Rebounds: 8.2
Assists: 5.0
Steals: 1.0
Blocks: 1.2

Shooting percentages:
Overall: 50%
3PT: 39%
FT: 89.5%

Durant obviously had an all time shit game...but, he has been incredible this season. The injury is no longer an issue.

Take away Curry, and the following are MVP numbers -

Rebounds: 8.2
Assists: 5.0
Steals: 1.0
Blocks: 1.2

Shooting percentages:
Overall: 50%
3PT: 39%
FT: 89.5%

He's been good but I personally think the numbers are deceiving and the injury is still an issue. He has taken the lowest amount of free throws since his first season. Doesn't seem to have the willingness to drive to the basket and draw contact. I think there is still a small psychological barrier. He's become much more of a jump shooter.

Huge if lucky win for Mavericks giving them significant advantage from now on. Obviously it's still very early and 1-1 is nothing but from here they have homecourt advantage in the remainder of series which is never bad.

This is not true. They are tied for 5th in the entire league at 103.8 points allowed per 100 possessions.

And that does not even consider how many times they've been in a position where they were up by 15+ and did not care if they allow more points or not. When they need to step up in the D, they usually do it great.

Huge if lucky win for Mavericks giving them significant advantage from now on. Obviously it's still very early and 1-1 is nothing but from here they have homecourt advantage in the remainder of series which is never bad.
I don't think this win will matter much. OKC will win in 5 or 6 imo. They have too much talent and Dallas have too many injuries.

Crafword winning this award is a joke. Clippers are significantly worse when he is on the floor, he's crap on defense and just chucks on offense. He's got a usage rate at around 25%(?) and below average TS%.
He was fun to watch because of his streetball style but the best thing right now is his free throw percentage.

I just watched the first part of the documentary 'Iverson' which is recently added by Netflix. Although I've watched all the 2001 Finals games afterwards, I was too young to witness the hype surrounding him between 1996 and the early '00s. He was some player, really love his crossovers and explosiveness!

His maiming trial between highschool and college made me think of Making A Murderer though, seems crazy how the authorities handled that case.

Hawks cruising to victory in game 2, Celtics really miss Bradley I guess - especially in defense.

San Antonio v Memphis should be called over.

Last edited:
He's Asian, pretty obvious why.

Anyway, Wolves are turning a corner and just made a big decision in signing Tom Thibodeau as head coach and president. They also got Scott Layden from the Spurs as their GM. Heading in the right direction.

Thibs to Timberwolves excites me greatly. Can't wait to see what he can do with Wiggins (and Towns, for that matter!), he should really improve under him to become a great two-way player.

And Brooks is off to the Wizards on a five year deal. Really thought he would've preferred to work with Harden again in Houston.

Maybe this could be a factor in Durant going back to Washington this offseason. Path to the Finals is much easier in the East as well.

Houston take game 3 with late winner from Harden. I think it may be the only game they take in the series.

Thibs to Timberwolves excites me greatly. Can't wait to see what he can do with Wiggins (and Towns, for that matter!), he should really improve under him to become a great two-way player.

Must be exciting times to be a Twolves fan. In Towns and Wiggins you have two potential superstars, LaVine will be a good player too and it's likely Minnesota will have a top 6 draft pick this year so they can get a PG or PF they need. I think they'll be going for Murray or Dunn, either way they'll have a good player on their hands for guard position. Alternatively if he's available they could go for Buddy Hield and move LaVine to PG as I believe Hield is better utilized as SG.

Last edited:
I've been meaning to post these for a while but Zach Lowe had some great podcasts with Thibodeau and Brooks (also interesting were Darryl Morey and Bob Myers) but the best one was with Brett Brown where they talk about Brown's years in Australia and how the 76ers took a field trip to a planetarium to talk with Neil Degrasse Tyson.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/podcast/archive?id=10528553

Brooks and Thibs off the market while the Lakers stand around scratching their arses. Walton was always my first choice but that is a pipe dream IMO.

And Brooks is off to the Wizards on a five year deal. Really thought he would've preferred to work with Harden again in Houston.

Maybe this could be a factor in Durant going back to Washington this offseason. Path to the Finals is much easier in the East as well.

Unlikely. If Durant wanted to work with Brooks then he'd still be coaching the Thunder.

Durant might stay extra year at Oklahoma but it largely depends on how they do in the playoffs this year. Spurs v Thunder is setting up to be a huge semifinal.

If Durant goes then the best choices for him are Warriors or one of the East teams. At Warriors he's pretty much guaranteed to win at least 1 championship during the length of his contract, in the East the path to the final is much easier than in the West and pretty much any team that will have Durant will become immediate contenders (aside from Sixers but even they would probably comfortably make playoffs with Durant, Okafor, Noel and Simmons/Ingram).

Last edited:
Brooks and Thibs off the market while the Lakers stand around scratching their arses. Walton was always my first choice but that is a pipe dream IMO.

Jeanie is smart, she's not going to allow a top coach to come in now when Jim only has a year to deliver a conference championship before he is ousted and her fiance can be brought in. Word is Walton isn't going to take another job this year and will wait on Jackson to return as president of Basketball Ops and he will be HC.

Jeanie is smart, she's not going to allow a top coach to come in now when Jim only has a year to deliver a conference championship before he is ousted and her fiance can be brought in. Word is Walton isn't going to take another job this year and will wait on Jackson to return as president of Basketball Ops and he will be HC.
So another year of mediocrity? Well, shiteness. $60m cap space with Scott in charge.