NBA 2015-2016

If Spurs win all remaining games (5) they will have 70 wins and a 3-1 season advantage over the Dubs. If the Warriors only beat Memphis once that gives them 70 wins also but an inferior head to head against the Spurs.

Playoff Tie-Break Procedures (from NBA.com)

The following outlines the NBA's playoff tie-break rules and procedures based on the final regular season standings:

Tiebreaker Basis
(-) Tie breaker not needed (better overall winning percentage) Both 70
(1) Division leader wins tie from team not leading a division Both Division Winners
(2) Head-to-head won-lost percentage Spurs 3-1
(3) Division won-lost percentage
(4) Conference won-lost percentage
(5) W-L Percentage vs. Playoff teams, own conference
(6) W-L Percentage vs. Playoff teams, other conference
(7) Net Points, all games

For some reason I thought Spurs had 13 losses. They have 12.

Should have known this was coming when Colangelo was hired(D'Antoni's hiring might mean Brett Brown might be next). It shows how well Hinkie was able to sell his vision that is sort of surprising a GM of a team that might win less than 10 games is losing his job. 76ers are in a weird place. They have two talented young bigs one struggles defensively and the other struggles offensively who do not mesh well with each on the court. They have another talented big who has missed two seasons of basketball(and he has only been playing basketball since 2011) and they have a European Point Forward type who will probably spend another season in Europe. With all the high draft picks they have in their future with the right moves they can possibly turn it into something but, it is far from a guarantee.

Should have known this was coming when Colangelo was hired(D'Antoni's hiring might mean Brett Brown might be next). It shows how well Hinkie was able to sell his vision that is sort of surprising a GM of a team that might win less than 10 games is losing his job. 76ers are in a weird place. They have two talented young bigs one struggles defensively and the other struggles offensively who do not mesh well with each on the court. They have another talented big who has missed two seasons of basketball(and he has only been playing basketball since 2011) and they have a European Point Forward type who will probably spend another season in Europe. With all the high draft picks they have in their future with the right moves they can possibly turn it into something but, it is far from a guarantee.

The way I see it Okafor, Noel and Embiid will be trade assets in the near future. Personally if I were them I'd trade Okafor as he should have high value and he's poor defensively, they could possibly get a good backcourt player for him (McCollum? Wouldn't want Blazers to make that trade but it has been rumoured).

And if the 76ers continue to suck people will say it is because they did not give Hinkie time to enact his vision. If he they turn it around in the next few years Hinkie will be credited for giving them a platform.

Warriors make it to 70-9.

They actually played well for the 1st time in ages...good game and the Spurs didn't simply give it to them. Pop started everyone...

So...the math is easy. Only thing standing between the Spurs and a perfect home record? Warriors.

Potentially the only thing standing between the Warriors and history? Spurs.

Good thing they both play each other on Sunday!

Personally, I think 72-10 would suit Steve Kerr right down to the ground. He would be the only person who could say that he had the record with two teams. He already was part of a 72-10 team with the Bulls. If the Warriors were to beat the record, he would be part of a 73-9 team with the Warriors. If the Warriors were to tie the record it would actually make him unique.

Last edited:
Warriors make it to 70-9.

They actually played well for the 1st time in ages...good game and the Spurs didn't simply give it to them. Pop started everyone...

So...the math is easy. Only thing standing between the Spurs and a perfect home record? Warriors.

Potentially the only thing standing between the Warriors and history? Spurs.

Good thing they both play each other on Sunday!

Should be a cracking game on Sunday. I think Spurs will win but could really go either way.

Well you're not. Was a foul on Stephenson though. 71-9 so a crucial one tomorrow night.

Well you're not. Was a foul on Stephenson though. 71-9 so a crucial one tomorrow night.
Will be really interesting to see if Pop puts his money where his mouth is tomorrow night. For years he's always said records don't matter, just championships. Tomorrow the game is essentially meaningless to the Spurs except for their unbeaten home record. Will Pop rest his starters? Hmm.

Will be really interesting to see if Pop puts his money where his mouth is tomorrow night. For years he's always said records don't matter, just championships. Tomorrow the game is essentially meaningless to the Spurs except for their unbeaten home record. Will Pop rest his starters? Hmm.

He's played Aldridge, Duncan etc. since they secured playoff and 2nd spot anyway. He will play starters tomorrow I believe.

With Lillard's great form and McCollum's emergence I wonder how far Blazers could go with Aldridge and Batum still on board. Portland's current frontcourt is certainly not good enough to take them far but with those two they could even make conference finals.

fecking Spurs I was hoping they would win so the Warriors wont get the record.
Why? They're a fine team and quite likeable. I like the fact that they'll likely get the record now.

Huge win. Spurs went for it but came short, huge confidence boost for Warriors ahead of playoffs.

BTW they're getting moved to San Francisco in 3 years - will that include change of the name back to San Francisco Warriors?

BTW they're getting moved to San Francisco in 3 years - will that include change of the name back to San Francisco Warriors?
I think they'll take into account what the fans want. There will be a poll or something like that.

I think they'll take into account what the fans want. There will be a poll or something like that.

It won't be that far from the current arena, will it? They've been Golden State for a while and technically they will still remain in Golden State so probably good to keep the name. All their current records have been recorded as Golden State. Never been to San Francisco so I don't know what the exact location of Oakland and San Francisco is.

I'm growing to like Warriors more and more. I have adopted Trail Blazers as my team and this won't change but as a team with possible championship aspirations in the near future Warriors are very likeable. Definitely prefer them over Spurs, Thunder and Cavaliers. Helps that they've virtually built the entire team around draft picks (Green, Thompson, Curry and Barnes all developed at Golden State) and their style is fun to watch when it clicks. Seem to have great team spirit and ability to come back from the dead in games.

As for playoff situation I am hoping that Blazers win remaining games and pip Memphis to 5th. They'd stand a chance against current Clippers team IMO, Clippers would be huge favourites but Blazers have the team to beat them over 7 games though they'll immediately go out to Warriors in the next round. Shame about Saturday loss to Timberwolves, was really close to a win. Wolves have really picked up form in recent months, they'll be in playoff conversation next month.

Jazz are the ultimate bottlers of the Western conference. Lost against Clippers 2nd squad, lost at home to Mavericks and they'll miss out on playoffs by 1 game.

Jazz are the ultimate bottlers of the Western conference. Lost against Clippers 2nd squad, lost at home to Mavericks and they'll miss out on playoffs by 1 game.
They'll probably win against the Lakers but so will Houston against Sacramento so yeah... Season series tied at 2-2, they've got the same divisional record but a lesser conference record unfortunately.

I'd much rather have a Rockets-Warriors series in the first round than a Jazz-Warriors one though.

They'll probably win against the Lakers but so will Houston against Sacramento so yeah... Season series tied at 2-2, they've got the same divisional record but a lesser conference record unfortunately.

I'd much rather have a Rockets-Warriors series in the first round than a Jazz-Warriors one though.

I think the Rockets would give the Warriors more trouble than the Jazz would. Even if it is just stealing a game or 2.

It's a shame though because they went on a couple of great runs this season and ruined this by bottling some games in extra-ordinary fashion. There's no excuse for losing to second/third string disinterested Clippers team. They'll miss out by the tightest margin here really.

Rockets are a weird, unpredictable team but I reckon against Warriors they won't stand much of a chance. Harden would have to have absolutely tremendous game for them to not get completely battered. Howard hasn't been that great this season and the rest of that team is just meh. Not that Jazz are great but they're solid defensively so could maybe steal 1 game from them.

Likely playoffs in West:

Warriors v Rockets - should be one sided

Mavericks v Spurs - should be straightforward win for Spurs too

Grizzlies v Thunder - maybe with full team Grizzlies would steal a couple here but not now

Blazers v Clippers - Clippers are big favourites and have been resting players for a while now but I wouldn't say Portland are without a chance here.

The Mavs put up a real fight as the 8th seed against the Spurs in the first round of the Playoffs two years ago, taking the series all the way to a Game 7. That was a great series.

I reckon it'll be more one sided this year though yes, unfortunately.

The Mavs put up a real fight as the 8th seed against the Spurs in the first round of the Playoffs two years ago, taking the series all the way to a Game 7. That was a great series.

I reckon it'll be more one sided this year though yes, unfortunately.

They don't have much power now. Shame that Parsons is not available for the rest of season as he's a good scoring option. With his contract running out in the Summer and him having player option plus salary cap likely to be increased by $20m he'll probably at least entertain the idea of moving somewhere. Portland will probably make a move for him along with Ryan Anderson. Been rumoured that they might be going for Durant too but I don't think he'd go there.

Playoff Scenarios and Tiebreakers.

As things stand now.
Cavaliers (1) vs. Pistons (8)
Heat (4) vs. Celtics (5)

Raptors (2) vs. Pacers (7)
Hawks (3) vs. Hornets (6)

WEST
Warriors (1) vs. Rockets (8)
Clippers (4) vs. Blazers (5)

Spurs (2) vs. Mavericks (7)
Thunder (3) vs. Grizzlies (6)

EAST
Relevant tiebreakers
Atlanta over Boston, Charlotte

Boston over Charlotte, Miami

Indiana over Detroit

Miami over Atlanta, Charlotte

WEST
Relevant tiebreakers
Dallas over Memphis, Portland

Houston over Utah

Oklahoma City over L.A. Clippers

Portland over Memphis

East is a bit up in the air in the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th spots and then again in 7th and 8th and will probably go down to the last game. In the West, unless Memphis can win at the Clippers and/or the Dubs they will fall to 7th and the Mavs will be 6th. Houston and Utah will probably finish even but the Rockets have the tiebreaker.

Last edited:
What happens if three or more teams are tied? East 3-6 could all end up with the same coefficient today.

If they all end up 48-34 (which I don't think they will but still), Miami gets the 3th seed because they win the Southeast division ahead of Atlanta. Then 4th-6th is decided by:

- Better winning percentage against each other
- Better winning percentage in own division
- Better winning percentage in own conference

I think Atlanta will win in Washington while Boston wins at home against the Heat. This means Atlanta gets 3th seed and the other three are tied (assuming Charlotte wins as well). I don't know their respective H2H records though. Hoping for Boston-Miami or Boston-Atlanta.

If they all end up 48-34 (which I don't think they will but still), Miami gets the 3th seed because they win the Southeast division ahead of Atlanta. Then 4th-6th is decided by:

- Better winning percentage against each other
- Better winning percentage in own division
- Better winning percentage in own conference

I think Atlanta will win in Washington while Boston wins at home against the Heat. This means Atlanta gets 3th seed and the other three are tied (assuming Charlotte wins as well). I don't know their respective H2H records though. Hoping for Boston-Miami or Boston-Atlanta.
In the last scenario (which will happen) it will be Boston Charlotte Miami. Boston will meet Charlotte with home court advantage, and Miami get Atlanta.

Miami threw it away against the Lakers.

In the last scenario (which will happen) it will be Boston Charlotte Miami. Boston will meet Charlotte with home court advantage, and Miami get Atlanta.

Miami threw it away against the Lakers.
If Atlanta wins in Washington and Boston beats Miami (the scenario proposed above) Atlanta would have the 3rd seed and end up playing Charlotte. Boston would get Miami with home court. (see relevant tiebreakers in my post above).

They don't have much power now. Shame that Parsons is not available for the rest of season as he's a good scoring option. With his contract running out in the Summer and him having player option plus salary cap likely to be increased by $20m he'll probably at least entertain the idea of moving somewhere. Portland will probably make a move for him along with Ryan Anderson. Been rumoured that they might be going for Durant too but I don't think he'd go there.

Wait he's injured?

If Atlanta wins in Washington and Boston beats Miami (the scenario proposed above) Atlanta would have the 3rd seed and end up playing Charlotte. Boston would get Miami with home court. (see relevant tiebreakers in my post above).
In the suggested scenario where Charlotte also win Miami will finish 6th. Head to head between Boston, Charlotte and Miami are 5-1 for Boston, 3-4 for Charlotte and 2-5 for Miami. Atlanta will be 3rd as division winner and meet Miami in the first round.