Nba 2011-2012

It will be interesting to see if the Knicks agree to match the offer to Lin, under the new CBA it could end up costing double or triple it's face value in luxury tax.

With Lin's popularity that might still be worth it, but he seems such a poor match with Carmelo, who likes to initiate the offense himself. The Knicks surely must feel they have to back Melo, so I'm thinking they'll let Lin go, and regret it later.

I wonder how a trade for Howard will impact on Pau?

I was certain he'd be traded but with Nash now on the roster, I think Pau can improve on a disappointing season and be a vital member of the team again. On the other hand, if we trade him we could get more depth which is equally important since our bench offers feck all in terms of offense.

Could work out a three team deal like this...

Bynum (16.473m) and Gasol (19m) to Orlando (35.473m)
Howard (19.261m), Richardson (5.8m), and Turkoglu (11.4m) to LAL (36.461m)

Orlando then ship Gasol to Houston for Scola and whatever, if they want to rid Gasol's salary, and if Houston still covet Gasol (and his 38m owed next two years). Lakers can amnesty Artest and sign Jamison on a veteran deal.

Or...

Bynum (16.473m), Scola (9.41m) and Houston 1st rd pick to Orlando (25.883m)
Gasol (19m), Anderson (3.235m), and LAL trade exception (8.2m) to Houston (30.435m)
Howard (19.261m) and Turkoglu (11.4m) to LAL (30.661m)

It will be interesting to see if the Knicks agree to match the offer to Lin, under the new CBA it could end up costing double or triple it's face value in luxury tax.

With Lin's popularity that might still be worth it, but he seems such a poor match with Carmelo, who likes to initiate the offense himself. The Knicks surely must feel they have to back Melo, so I'm thinking they'll let Lin go, and regret it later.

If the Knicks every truly want to win/contend they need to move either Anthony or Stoudemire.

Interesting post at the bottom of the page...

Alex Smith6 hours ago
<So let me get this straight. You have a Russian owner that broke NBA rules by meeting with Howard in Miami prior to the allowed time. You have Howards sponsor Adidas with a new publicity store in the new Blarclay arena. You have agent Fagen trying to compliment the Adidas marketing at the Barclay by moving Dwight to Brooklyn. Now you have the Russian overbidding the other NBA owners to buy a championship. And now you have Teletovic oddly willing to take millions less "on paper" to sign more monopoly deals. This whole story stinks of the ugly side of the NBA and it's backroom deals. Just stinks.>

The teeth! He's scary. No doubt he's had people eliminated - permanently.

image.jpg

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...st-a-certainty-not-to-go-to-the-brooklyn-nets

Dwight Howard Is Almost Certainly Not Going to the Brooklyn Nets

The Nets needed to keep Deron Williams; they could not afford to lose him to the Mavericks and be left with a roster devoid of major talent.

That explains why they agreed to trade for the worst contract in the NBA (ESPN). Well done, Brooklyn. You kept your superstar (ESPN), and it appears that the acquisition of Joe Johnson pushed Williams to sign with Brooklyn (Yahoo).

This gives the Nets two max contracts. In addition to Gerald Wallace's deal (ESPN), the Nets have over $46 million tied up in those three players for the 2012-2013 season. That number will only go up. This means the Nets will not have the money to give Dwight a max contract. Even if they clear the rest of their roster, the ghost cap holds (cap holds for open roster spots when a team has less than 12 players) would take up about $3.8 million (ghost cap hold = rookie minimum = $474K and there would be 8). This leaves the Nets with less than $10 million in cap room.

With a salary cap around $60 million, the Nets must acquire nine 2nd round picks (2nd round picks eliminate the ghost cap hold), or they must hope for a surge in BRI (basketball-related income) to increase the salary cap.

The Magic could trade Howard to the Nets, but why would they do that? Howard cannot force a trade to the Nets because of the unlikelihood that he would sign with Brooklyn for a starting salary of under $10 million. Unless Howard shows a willingness to take a large pay cut, the Nets lack leverage in their trade negotiations with the Magic. Without that, the Magic can go out and make the best trade for them.

Compare the Nets potential offer with some other teams

Let us ignore draft picks over the next five years (unless they come from a third party) because any team that gets Howard will guarantee themselves 45 wins

Nets: Brook Lopez, Marshon Brooks, Kris Humphries for Hedo Turkoglu and Howard.

Hawks: Al Horford, Jeff Teague and a combination of expiring contracts (from Brooklyn and/or Devin Harris) for Howard and a combination of bad deals (say Turkoglu and Richardson).

Lakers: Bynum, Ron Artest and Josh McRoberts for Howard and Turkoglu

Clippers: Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan, Gomes for Howard and Ryan Anderson (depending on how his restricted free agency goes).

(If Ryan Anderson's contract is too big to make the deal work, then make it Griffin/Jordan for Howard.)

The Nets come in at a distant fourth. If I'm the Magic, I leap at the chance to get Griffin and have a marquee star to fill the arena and attract talent. Even a Lakers or Hawks trade yields the Magic a quality star (2nd or 3rd best player on a championship team) along with cap relief.

The Nets can offer the worst rebounding center in the NBA (in terms of TRB percent), a shooting guard who at best turns into Jamal Crawford (and I'm stretching...a lot) and a rebounding role player that is available in many free agent years. Now, this trade would make sense for the Magic if that poor rebounding center was Bob McAdoo. The Magic would have to want to fail as an organization to deal Howard for Lopez, Brooks, Humphries and a bunch of picks in the high 20s.

The Nets did what they had to do in order to keep Deron Williams in Brooklyn. Without him, the Nets would have stared at overpaying Brook Lopez and placing Gerald Wallace at the center of their brochures. However, in their attempt to keep Williams, they killed almost any chance of Dwight Howard becoming a Net.

Now they occupy the dreaded level of not being good enough to win a title and not being bad enough to get a high draft pick.

Allen to Miami looks to be a done deal. Great acquisition for them.

Still no update on the Howard situation, hopefully something happens over the weekend and he commits to the Lakers long term.

With all these deals that have happened and further deals that could happen, I am really looking forward to next season.

Don't see how Lopez, Brooks and Humphries (the latter an unrestricted free agent) for Howard and Turkoglu can work under CBA rules. The latter two combine for over 30m next season while the Nets trio amount to 5.4m plus whatever Humphries signs for, and legally Humphries can't be traded until resigned. Someone failed to do proper research.

No way the Clippers would even consider trading Griffin at the moment.

Hawks deals has significant cap issues too.

The Lakers deal mentioned is a good $4m short as well though that might fall within CBA rules.

Personally hope Howard ends up with the Lakers, Hawks, or rides out last year to FA and signs with Dallas (hehe), anything that fecks up Deron for bailing on Dallas because the Nets acquired Joe "8th Worst Contract in American Sports History" Johnson and gave Gerald Wallace $40m.

Allen to the Heat confirmed now. Chasing another ring instead of more money. I just feel the Celtics didn't push hard enough at the end of the season to sign him. Its only this last week they have really showed interest.

Allen could add a lot to the offense, I'm just worried about his defense a little bit..

Let's wait and see how that works out.. I think he'll be a good addition overall. The best the Heat can add for the minimum mid-level exception anyway..

So, who is the minimum-wage center this year?

I read some article about how it would be almost impossible for the Nets to get Howard at this point, as far as making the numbers work within trade limits. Taking Johnson seemed to be an acceptable of not signing Howard.

Cbs Sports said that the talk of the Lakers taking Howard without him signing an extension are nonsense as they feel they have a team right now, with Nash, that can compete for the title.

At this point I'm not sure what Orlando will want to do, though. The best offer for a one year rental of Howard, from a team like Houston, is likely to be even lower than whatever offer the Nets made. Surely Orlando won't just let him run out his deal, so it seems they'll be forced to take a mediocre offer from someone who will rent him for a year before he signs for Brooklyn.

From my perspective, the Lakers are at best a West Conference finals appearance at the moment. However, any move that brings Howard there would put them over OKC/Spurs IMO. Bynum is a very good player, arguably the second best big man in the league, but I don't see him ever maturing. Howard is a top five player in the league and a beast defensively, though his offensive game is very limited. If they could somehow keep Gasol and acquire Howard, they're a shoe-in for the NBA Finals barring a major injury to Bryant or Howard.

Even considering a trade that could see Bynum and Gasol go for Howard and Turkoglu still makes the Lakers the team to beat in the West. They could then sign a quality PF on a veteran exemption, perhaps a player chasing a championship like Jamison, Brand or Martin, or a role player like Bass.

Read into this and he does make valid points.
Steve Nash doesn't fill defensive hole

Houston Rockets pushing hard to sign Howard. They have the least chance among all his suitors in my opinion. All they can offer is draft picks. All the other teams can offer trade exchange of players. With the picks the Magic have to wait a certain year to get their player but with the other teams, they readily get a player to replace Howard.

Rockets could move Scola and possibly Martin for Howard as well but that practically leaves them with only Howard, and I'm fairly certain the big man is aware of that.

Rockets could move Scola and possibly Martin for Howard as well but that practically leaves them with only Howard, and I'm fairly certain the big man is aware of that.

Magic are looking for a Center to replace Howard. They don't need another PF.

If we don't win the gold medal, it will be a travesty. We'll play "small" but in terms of quickness, athleticism, and skill we should cruise through most games.

Team USA:

Center -- Tyson Chandler.

Forwards -- LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Durant, Kevin Love, Blake Griffin.

Guards -- Kobe Bryant, Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Russell Westbrook, Andre Iguodala and James Harden.

Alternates: Anthony Davis, Rudy Gay, Eric Gordon

I hope Lithuania and the UK do well. I know a guy on the Lithuanian team so it'll be good to see him play.

Are there absolutely no centers to pick from other than Howard and Chandler?

Here are the top 7 American scoring centers in the NBA from the list I made a few pages back.

There are plenty of scorers on the team, I suspect the USA coaches found these guys defensively inadequate and too young or too old in Duncan's case.

Love and Griffin aren't fantastic defenders but they can cover the center position well enough as needed.

Jefferson: 6'10", 290 lbs, 27 yrs, 19.2 pts, 8.9 re, 1.7 blk, 2.2 ast
Cousins: 6'11", 270 lbs, 21 yrs, 18.1 pts, 10.9 re, 1.6 ast, 1.2 blk
Duncan: 6'11", 255 lbs, 36 yrs, 15.4 pts, 9.0 re, 1.5 blk, 2.3 ast
Monroe: 6'11", 250 lbs, 22 yrs, 15.4 pts, 9.6 re, 0.7 blk, 2.3 ast
McGee: 7'0", 252 lbs, 24 yrs, 11.9 pts, 8.8 re, 2.5 blk, 0.6 ast [Washington only]
Chandler: 7'1" 240 lbs, 29 yrs, 11.3 pts, 9.9 re, 1.4 blk, 0.9 ast
Frye: 6'11", 245 lbs, 29 yrs, 10.5 pts, 5.9 re, 1.1 blk, 1.4 ast

Will it be Paul-Kobe-Durant-James-Chandler starting?

My bastard cousin claims he has got company court-side tickets to see some basketball games at the Olympics. Despite having no knowledge or interest in basketball (he thinks Shaq and Kobe are still playing together), the cnut refuses to give me his ticket :mad:

Will it be Paul-Kobe-Durant-James-Chandler starting?

My bastard cousin claims he has got company court-side tickets to see some basketball games at the Olympics. Despite having no knowledge or interest in basketball (he thinks Shaq and Kobe are still playing together), the cnut refuses to give me his ticket :mad:

I think that lineup looks about right. Although they will want to have someone play the role Wade did last time around, a sixth man who can spark them off the bench if the starting 5 aren't playing with energy.

I hope that person will be Russell Westbrook because he was absolutely electrifying in the NBA finals.

The one weakness that team USA does have though, is a lack of size. This is something that a team like Spain can exploit if team USA is not careful.

A lot of pretty big contracts going out so far to players that aren't exactly stars. Batum is reportedly signing for 4 years at 45 mil in Minnesota, Jeff Green is reportedly getting 4 years and 40 mil from the Celtics, and the Bucks are reportedly offering Illyasova 5 years of 45 mil, which comes to 11m, 10m and 9m per season respectively.

The new CBA doesn't seem to be effecting spending.

Looks like nothing has changed since the strike. Players are still getting $7m per year for a month's worth of good games (Lin) and $9m per year plus for some average stats over a season or two (above examples in post 1909). The NBA as a whole has the most overpaid athletes on the planet.

The incremental luxury tax doesn't take effect until the season after the coming season, and same with the repeat offender tax. We're seeing the effect on the way the money is being spread in some of the deals that have been signed.

For example Lin's agreement with the Rockets is backloaded, which pays most of the money during the years where his team would be hardest hit by the luxury tax if they are paying it. That's strategically done to try to get the Knicks to second-guess themselves when they think about matching the contract or act as a poison pill if they choose not to back down on matching.

It's going to take a few years of luxury tax hell before we actually start seeing changes in overall spending patterns. Also the other provisions like limited mid-level exceptions and limited sign-and-trades for luxury tax teams haven't kicked in either.

Looks like nothing has changed since the strike. Players are still getting $7m per year for a month's worth of good games (Lin) and $9m per year plus for some average stats over a season or two (above examples in post 1909). The NBA as a whole has the most overpaid athletes on the planet.

Lin is marketing gold, you'd make money giving him a max deal, I think, not that you'd need to at this point.

Things used to be a lot worse, rookies used to often get that sort of money, like Glen Robinson's 100m rookie deal.

If the rest of us have to learn to use a budget, I think NBA teams should have to learn as well. I don't like these limits on salaries, teams should be able to gamble on getting better through high salaries, but they should also have to pay the consequences of those gambles not paying off. If I was Elton Brand I'd be very pissed my 20 mil final contract year was getting wiped off thanks to a rule made after the contract was signed.

With player movement now so restricted there are very few players for a bunch of teams to go after every summer, this seems to be driving prices up as teams fight over players like Batum, who will probably never do anything worth mentioning in the NBA.

I'm amazed that these CEOs who make millions a year can't stick to a simple budget.

A lot of pretty big contracts going out so far to players that aren't exactly stars. Batum is reportedly signing for 4 years at 45 mil in Minnesota, Jeff Green is reportedly getting 4 years and 40 mil from the Celtics, and the Bucks are reportedly offering Illyasova 5 years of 45 mil, which comes to 11m, 10m and 9m per season respectively.

The new CBA doesn't seem to be effecting spending.

The whole paid-by-numbers scenario gets forecast anytime any sporting league discusses a wage-cap - and like you guys (and pretty much everyone else) mentioned, it usually comes true. Even last summer some of the braver sportswriters mentioned it extensively.

The true culprit is the cult(ure) of winning. AKA the idea of not just pouring money into a franchise, but specifically buying players so you can 'win' a championship.

As soon as that kind of thing takes root (largely facilitated by free-agency - which, let's face it, the big owners love and the small owners not so much), you lose the idea of home-grown players, regional heritage/rivalries, all these unquantifiable factors that the bean-counters loathe but that give sport its spice. I mean, how many of us hear some athlete talk about the opportunity to play "_____land Basketball" and feel it really resonate within us the way it used to.

The only true solution is geographical restriction of player movement. That coupled with revenue-sharing schemes/techniques that weren't available in the past.

If true this would be a pretty good move for the Hornets, I believe Anderson led the NBA in 3s last season. Ayon is a ferocious rebounder, but a 27 year old NBA rookie who is unlikely to get a lot better.

If the Magic were to acquire Lopez from the Nets, you'd want to pair him with a rebounder like Ayon rather than a shooter like Anderson, as Lopez isn't the strongest rebounder.

Ryan Anderson is on the verge of being dealt to the New Orleans Hornets in sign-and-trade. The Magic, who are looking for cap room, will also get Gustavo Ayon in return.
Jimmy Smith, citing league sources, reported the deal.
Ayon, 27, is originally from Mexico. During his rookie year in the NBA, the 6’10, 250 lb. power forward, averaged 5.9 points, 4.9 rebounds and 0.9 blocks per game. Ayon had a PER of 16.7, a rebounding rate of 14.5% and shot 53.6% from the field. He’s certainly an intriguing prospect.

Hinrich back home? I'll allow it. He's a solid kid. Would be more help when Rose does return though, solid scoring option.

Rumours that Howard to the Nets could happen very soon and a 3rd team is likely to be involved in the deal.

Did Woj report it?

Bleacher Report is like accurate 0.4% of the time.

Jarrod Rudolph: Just spoke with a source that tells me that Billy King is "very close" to getting Dwight Howard. And deal could be completed "very soon." Twitter

Don't know who Jarrod Rudolph is but Billy King is the Nets' GM. Those SOB's actually are going to pull off the trade even though they signed the other three for so much money.

Howard deal could happen tomorrow.

I don't really get why he has completely ruled out the Lakers and instead he is so keen on the Nets. The Lakers would be championship contenders with him and he'd be playing in a big city, certainly big enough for his ego.

Also twitter reckons Bynum will look at Dallas, Houston and Cleveland when he becomes a free agent. Cleveland!

I hope LA looks at improving our bench and getting more shooters, imperative we get someone who can get us 10+ points regularly from the bench.