Naby Keita

I've seen enough of him to know that he will be a key player at Liverpool. He's too talented to fail.
I hope your joking?

Veron had more talent in his left nut than Naby and he failed in England. So any player can be a failure no matter what talent they have.

Few times I've seen him play for Liverpool and Klopp seems to be using him like we use Pogba in the LCM and I don't see him fitting in that role as he is less creative/technical to influence games from there, I think he is more of a box to box player and I also think wijnaldum is blocking his shine.

Given the hype surrounding this below, he's been really disappointing.

Few ill timed passes against Arsenal yes but other than that he completely dominated midfield over the last few games. Definitely not "made it" or a smashing success from now on, but it just shows you how fickle football fans are - it was only last month when he was made out to be a flop.
Because he did look a flop. And still may end up being one btw. It's not really fickleness. Players are judged based on performances. Unless it changes every other game, it is the logical way for the narrative to be drawn out.

feck me, should I be concerned about why/how you found that post from October?

I stand by it though.

It was literally two pages behind this.
What you should be concerned is your definition of "matter of time".

It is too early to judge him but one thing is pretty clear he is nowhere near Pogba in term of natural talent as the hype surrounding him indicated.

It is too early to judge him but one thing is pretty clear he is nowhere near Pogba in term of natural talent as the hype surrounding him indicated.
He may go on to be a good player but I agree. He seems to be a country mile behind Pogba in terms of his natural ability. From the hype, he was made to sound like a special player. Doesn't seem so to me. I suppose next season is the one where we can really tell.

I stand by it though.
You made it sound like he retrieved it from a broken hard drive at a garbage dump.

It was just in the previous page! :lol:

He may go on to be a good player but I agree. He seems to be a country mile behind Pogba in terms of his natural ability. From the hype, he was made to sound like a special player. Doesn't seem so to me. I suppose next season is the one where we can really tell.
Well hype was unreal and he was made out to be mix of Viera and Keane, a better and more consistent version of Pogba Dare I say .He is relatively young and adjusting to new league so too early to write him off but wouldn't surprise me if he fails Pool are due a big money flop so fingers crossed.

Lets compare with Pogba after Naby has been with the club for Circa 2.5 years. Far too early to make that comparison now, though I did expect Keita to acclimatise to our way of playing much faster than Fabinho, given the relatively similar high tempo football Leipzig plays - given this expectation he has been something of a disappointment to date.

I'm curious to know if you think Pogba has lived up to his 90 million pound valuation so far? Certainly, I've seen sparks of incredible talent from him, but since he has joined, he has flattered to deceive. His numbers are poor for such a highly rated midfielder and he's been a talking point more often than not for the wrong reasons (hair, dances, falling out with the club and manager, etc).

Not like Liverpool fans and hipsters to hype one of their players way beyond their actual level... I’m shocked.

Lets compare with Pogba after Naby has been with the club for Circa 2.5 years. Far too early to make that comparison now, though I did expect Keita to acclimatise to our way of playing much faster than Fabinho, given the relatively similar high tempo football Leipzig plays - given this expectation he has been something of a disappointment to date.

I'm curious to know if you think Pogba has lived up to his 90 million pound valuation so far? Certainly, I've seen sparks of incredible talent from him, but since he has joined, he has flattered to deceive. His numbers are poor for such a highly rated midfielder and he's been a talking point more often than not for the wrong reasons (hair, dances, falling out with the club and manager, etc).

His numbers aren't poor though are they! They are excellent. They actually don't tell the whole story, and paint a better picture than reality, and he has been inconsistent, but it's not been sparks it's been games, and runs of games. It's futile to look at numbers without context, but as you haven't looked at the numbers, it's 9 goals and 7 assists so far.

If you want to be someone who criticises a player for a hair cut or a dance, then you need to get back in your time machine. He didn't fall out with the club, but clearly has issues with the manager, and is not blameless by any stretch of the imagination.

Classic case of scouse delusion. I remember all the tall that he was better than Pogba.

Well he has the occasionally flashes of skill, but the game seems to pass him by in the Liverpool games I've seen him in. Suppose it does not help that Klopp goes for a long ball game and primarily uses his midfielders as overworked pack horses to win the ball back

Classic case of scouse delusion. I remember all the tall that he was better than Pogba.

Well he has the occasionally flashes of skill, but the game seems to pass him by in the Liverpool games I've seen him in. Suppose it does not help that Klopp goes for a long ball game and primarily uses his midfielders as overworked pack horses to win the ball back

How dare you! It’s beautiful bum-rush football, don’t you know?

In PL, Pogba has scored 18 goals and 20 assists, before this season he didn't take any penalties and he doesn't even take our set pieces. So for a CM, he has 38 goals + assists in 6259 mins (equivalent of 69 full games). 164 mins per G+A is excellent for a midfielder, even more so when it's under Jose.

Dude you don't need to wait any longer to see the gulf in class between him and Pogba. It's possible Pogba might still have consistency issues in a few years while Keita has none at all, and over the course of the season that might make him the better performer in something like 1 out of 4 seasons, but you can't not see the difference in talent.

Keita's looked quite promising on a few occasions, and I agree with @B20 that he's shown he's got a level or two above Wijnaldum in his locker. Does seem strange that he's found it so difficult to integrate though, the conditions seem almost perfect. Similar style of play, happy dressing room, a need for an upgrade in his position. The only thing that seems to be going against him is Klopp has moved him around a bit, but then that's at least in part down to Keita being poor in his best position every other game.

He’s a work in progress, and while he hasn’t exactly pulled up any trees so far, I’m still very confident that he’ll get there eventually.

I stand by it though.
I'd be more concerned that after nearly 7 years on this forum, you still haven't got to grips with the search function.

I'd put money on you being the type who judged Pogba after less than a season at the club so people in glass houses....

Dude you don't need to wait any longer to see the gulf in class between him and Pogba. It's possible Pogba might still have consistency issues in a few years while Keita has none at all, and over the course of the season that might make him the better performer in something like 1 out of 4 seasons, but you can't not see the difference in talent.

Keita's looked quite promising on a few occasions, and I agree with @B20 that he's shown he's got a level or two above Wijnaldum in his locker. Does seem strange that he's found it so difficult to integrate though, the conditions seem almost perfect. Similar style of play, happy dressing room, a need for an upgrade in his position. The only thing that seems to be going against him is Klopp has moved him around a bit, but then that's at least in part down to Keita being poor in his best position every other game.

You maybe do, he looked a special player at Leipzig and has been in this country two months, it’s too early to judge because we haven’t seen Keira’s best yet.

You maybe do, he looked a special player at Leipzig and has been in this country two months, it’s too early to judge because we haven’t seen Keira’s best yet.

6 months, not 2 - and he knew he was playing at Liverpool last season. Of course he needs time to settle in, but don't adjust the facts to suit your argument.

Last edited:

We haven't seen Pogba's best yet either but we've seen them both have their moments. 6 months in Pogba was still settling in here, sometimes playing as badly as Keita. The glimpses we saw of both are pretty clear indicators.

Not like Liverpool fans and hipsters to hype one of their players way beyond their actual level... I’m shocked.

Happens all the time even some of the best managers can get carried away. S.A.F "Jones could become one of Uniteds best all time players" wasn't it

Happens all the time even some of the best managers can get carried away. S.A.F "Jones could become one of Uniteds best all time players" wasn't it

Yep. Compared him to Duncan Edwards at the time, I think. Still hard to understand how he got that one so wrong...

Keita has been dissapointing, no doubt about that. Of all Klopps purchases he was the one I expected the most from before he came, and I certainly expected him to be an impacting player by now, especially with the rather unimpressive midfield we've got.

He's 23 though and has only been here 6 months. He has also been out with an injury, so I will be patient and see where he will be next season before I start worrying.

Called it a long time ago that he was nothing special, would struggle in the PL and at the moment wijnaldum is the better player in every aspect. Think a lot of the scouse mob made the mistake of judging him off his YouTube highlights and didn’t actually watch a full game.

Called it a long time ago that he was nothing special, would struggle in the PL and at the moment wijnaldum is the better player in every aspect. Think a lot of the scouse mob made the mistake of judging him off his YouTube highlights and didn’t actually watch a full game.

Saw him in a few games for Leipzig, and he was quality. Also all the Bayern cnuts on here were raving about him.

Saw him in a few games for Leipzig, and he was quality. Also all the Bayern cnuts on here were raving about him.

Bayern fans are notorious for that. He had a few great games but was just the standout player on an okay side. If he goes on to make any kind of tangible impact at any big side I’ll be surprised.

The German league is the best thing ever to those guys though. PL is a different animal no matter what they say.

Bayern fans are notorious for that. He had a few great games but was just the standout player on an okay side. If he goes on to make any kind of tangible impact at any big side I’ll be surprised.

Hope not, but considering that Klopp manages to get a song out of players like Wijnaldaum, Hendo la and ancient Miller, sadly I think he will manage it with Keita as well.

Hope not, but considering that Klopp manages to get a song out of players like Wijnaldaum, Hendo la and ancient Miller, sadly I think he will manage it with Keita as well.

I think wijnaldum is the third best player in their team after Salah and Van Dijk. Don’t think Klopp has to tell him much, he was expected to do big things when he was a teenager (albeit in a different position) and he stood out a mile at Newcastle. He might just be the most underrated player in the prem.

23 year old with loads of potential, playing under Klopp, in his first year in a new league, with two injuries in his first 6 months.

Yeah I'm gonna take a bet here and say he will 100% make any kind of tangible impact for us.

I think wijnaldum is the third best player in their team after Salah and Van Dijk. Don’t think Klopp has to tell him much, he was expected to do big things when he was a teenager (albeit in a different position) and he stood out a mile at Newcastle. He might just be the most underrated player in the prem.

Wijnaldum is indeed extremely underrated. Against City, before Fabinho came on, he was our only midfielder able to retain the ball in tight positions and move it forwards despite being under pressure by 2-3 players. I love that when Silva does this, he is a god amongst men, but when other players do it (without scoring a goal or assist); they're unproductive.

I think if Wijnaldum could add goals and assists to his game, he would be a magnificent player. However that would probably also make him one of the best midfielders in the league. I don't think he fits that bracket but he is extremely important for our side in retaining possession, especially in big games.

I think he's just a little limited in a few areas which ultimately means he will need replacing in the next 24-36 months with a player who can retain and produce.