Naby Keita

Re: the bolded. No, that's not why he was signed. He's not a creative attacking midfielder. He's an "all rounder", a box to box midfielder, who literally can do it all. Personally, I don't think he's been played in his best position very often this year and he certainly wasn't against Utd. As Klopp said, he played in the "left half-space" which is usually the position that Mane plays in, although Keita didn't play as high as Mane usually does.

Basically this.

He's been used in CM like twice. Once being the game against Burnley away a couple weeks back where he was arguably the best player on the pitch. It's clear he has lots of quality - just a matter of time before he starts to put it together (injury hasn't helped). Similar story to Fabinho.

Is he though? I'm yet to see this in the English game, and plenty of players have arrived from other leagues and simply not been a good fit.

He hasn't scored or assisted once, in an attacking side where he often is playing pretty high up the pitch and he was signed to add a creative drive to your midfield. That's pretty awful, I get that he's been in and out of the team but he's had a few starts and a number of sub appearances where you'd have expected him to make a crucial contribution at least once. I get that he's a central midfielder and that isn't his primary job, but he did it pretty well at Leipzig and it's not like he's anything like a Kante type, he's very much an attack minded midfielder.

So far I haven't seen anything to impress me. Certainly I see him as the worst of your summer signings, and I expected him to be the best to be honest, since the hype around him was pretty significant. Of course he should be given time to settle and can't be rationally judged so quickly, but thus far I can't see how he's been anything less than a disappointment.

2 games in which he’s played in his correct position starting with his 1st app in our 1st game of the season against W Ham, arguably our best player on the pitch

And somewhat recently a few ago weeks against Burnley, same thing.

He was owning them matches and initially when against W Ham I was quite amazed, then a few lull’s

He’s got it imo and we’ve seen it, just needs settling and consistency imo

Re: the bolded. No, that's not why he was signed. He's not a creative attacking midfielder. He's an "all rounder", a box to box midfielder, who literally can do it all. Personally, I don't think he's been played in his best position very often this year and he certainly wasn't against Utd. As Klopp said, he played in the "left half-space" which is usually the position that Mane plays in, although Keita didn't play as high as Mane usually does.

He's not an all rounder. He can't defend or tackle for shit and he's not good positionally, all his best attributes lie in his ability to bring the ball forward.

It seems to me he often tries too hard to impress when he’s on the pitch. I think it’s obvious that he’s got a lot of potential, but he needs to be patient and not always look for the most difficult pass. He’ll get there.

He's not an all rounder. He can't defend or tackle for shit and he's not good positionally, all his best attributes lie in his ability to bring the ball forward.

Think you are being very premature here.

Think you are being very premature here.

Nah, I'm basing that off watching him at Leipzig a load too.

He's rubbish defensively, I was so confused as to why people were calling him an all round midfielder when he joined Liverpool. Every single time I've watched him play the most impressive elements of his game have been his technical quality and sharpness on the ball. He's fantastic at transitioning between midfield & attack and offers loads of energy and creativity at his best, but he's not going to be able to provide an all round role because that just isn't his game. Maybe Klopp can change that with coaching, but right now he's more an attacking midfielder than he is a defensive one.

He's rubbish defensively, I was so confused as to why people were calling him an all round midfielder when he joined Liverpool. Every single time I've watched him play the most impressive elements of his game have been his technical quality and sharpness on the ball. He's fantastic at transitioning between midfield & attack and offers loads of energy and creativity at his best, but he's not going to be able to provide an all round role because that just isn't his game. Maybe Klopp can change that with coaching, but right now he's more an attacking midfielder than he is a defensive one.
You are so FOS. I think I haven’t read a post from you that isn’t out of line. You sound like a guy, who thinks he knows it all. Saying that Nabi Keita can’t tackle is the biggest BS I’ve read here for a while and that’s coming from a Bundesliga fan. There’s no chance he will be a fail at Liverpool and I can’t wait for him to prove you wrong.

You make some fair points but you’re basing this heavily on the here and now. He’s clearly a work in progress and you might be right - he might never turn talent into both offensive and defensive effectiveness but when a player is as gifted as he is - it is best just to give it time before jumping in with rash conclusions as to ‘he is definitely not good at a or b’.

Fabinho is already beginning to make some people eat their words and Keita may do the same - perhaps not this season but maybe the next. As we saw with Ox he turned from flop to key asset to their midfield after much ridicule. It takes time.

Sorry mate but your opinion of Keita being rubbish defensively is bollocks.

You are so FOS. I think I haven’t read a post from you that isn’t out of line. You sound like a guy, who thinks he knows it all. Saying that Nabi Keita can’t tackle is the biggest BS I’ve read here for a while and that’s coming from a Bundesliga fan. There’s no chance he will be a fail at Liverpool and I can’t wait for him to prove you wrong.

Agree. Keita was even a little infamous vor his overhard tackles both in games and even in trainings. His ball carrying is definitely his most notable skill but he has the toolset for an allrounder although I also think that he still has a lot to learn in terms of positioning and risk taking in a system in which not every ball should be played forward.

But Klopp will get him there. Even if he won't learn anything, Naby Keita in Leipzig form would be great for Liverpool's midfield.

:lol:

Case, meet rested.

Sorry mate but your opinion of Keita being rubbish defensively is bollocks.

OK, you're free to think that.

I'm basing this purely off watching him play plenty at Leipzig, and in those games I didn't see a player who was good defensively, at all. Maybe he was different in the games I haven't watched.

Whenever I've seen him his best abilities have been on the ball.

Yeah but don't forget he did a good Cruyff turn v Palace in his own half.

Real lack of ambition from Keita here. Trying to secure his move now whilst his stock is somewhat high. He obviously doesn't fancy progressing even further with Leipzig this season and attracting the attention of the top clubs next summer. I'd genuinely be worried with his mentality if I was a Liverpool fan. He knew Liverpool would be in for him again next season if he maintained his form, but he's taking the safe option now.

Still standing by this. If he was put up for sale in the morning, he’d struggle to get a decent team after him.

He plays in a midfield with 2 powerhouses in Wijnaldum and Fabinho, I honestly don't think tackling or defending is something we should be nitpicking at. He's not a luxury player like Ozil. He presses aggressively and works extremely hard off the ball. Personally, I think he is the perfect fit for them. Matter of time before he turns into a key player.

He plays in a midfield with 2 powerhouses in Wijnaldum and Fabinho, I honestly don't think tackling or defending is something we should be nitpicking at. He's not a luxury player like Ozil. He presses aggressively and works extremely hard off the ball. Personally, I think he is the perfect fit for them. Matter of time before he turns into a key player.

He doesn't play though, he's spent most of the season on the bench

Don’t see the player people were comparing to Pogba with him.

Fabinho, Wijnaldum and Shaqiri as a midfield possess everything Keita can bring to the table.

It's been a stop-start season for him but the signs of quality have been there throughout. Matter of time before he starts putting it together I think.

I remember the Wijnaldum thread. :D

I remember the Fabinho thread. :D

I will remember the Keita thread. :cool:

Has Fabinho made it all of a sudden? He was giving the ball away a fair bit in the last few games.
Few ill timed passes against Arsenal yes but other than that he completely dominated midfield over the last few games. Definitely not "made it" or a smashing success from now on, but it just shows you how fickle football fans are - it was only last month when he was made out to be a flop.

:lol:

After half a season in which he was injured for a month or so. The mind boggles.

I wasn't saying I have been proven right. There's every chance I could be wrong about him, that is just my opinion on the player.

I just found it amusing that somebody would say that another person seems like they think they know it all, before claiming there is 'no chance at all' a player will fail despite him having had a poor start.

This guy will come good.
Apart from VVD, he's the only Liverpool player id want at Utd. Would be perfect with Pogba and Matic.

This guy will come good.
Apart from VVD, he's the only Liverpool player id want at Utd. Would be perfect with Pogba and Matic.

You wouldn't want Salah or Mané? Even Robertson?

You wouldn't want Salah or Mané? Even Robertson?
If i could only have two players. I would choose VVD and Keita.
Salah, Mane and Robertson are good players, but I don't think they would make much difference to Utd, just because the way we play. We have Martial, Rashford and Shaw who are just as good for Utd as those 3 would be.

If i could only have two players. I would choose VVD and Keita.
Salah, Mane and Robertson are good players, but I don't think they would make much difference to Utd, just because the way we play. We have Martial, Rashford and Shaw who are just as good for Utd as those 3 would be.

:wenger: Salah was up for the Ballon D'Or last year. I'm all for hating on Liverpool but if you don't think he'd be an upgrade over Martial or Rashford then you're mad. And I thought it was almost universally held that we're short a top right winger?

:wenger: Salah was up for the Ballon D'Or last year. I'm all for hating on Liverpool but if you don't think he'd be an upgrade over Martial or Rashford then you're mad. And I thought it was almost universally held that we're short a top right winger?
Your missing my point.
I will repeat what I'm saying. If I could have only two (2) players from Liverpool to improve Utd, I would take VVD and Keita.
Our defence is shit. And out midfield is crying out for a box to box, high pressing ball player. Keita ticks the box.
If i could have a 3rd one , then Salah for sure.
Trust me, Salah alone would not make much difference to this current Utd team.

Your missing my point.
I will repeat what I'm saying. If I could have only two (2) players from Liverpool to improve Utd, I would take VVD and Keita.
Our defence is shit. And out midfield is crying out for a box to box, high pressing ball player. Keita ticks the box.
If i could have a 3rd one , then Salah for sure.
Trust me, Salah alone would not make much difference to this current Utd team.

But we have a box to box high pressing ball player. 3 actually, Pereira, Herrera and Fred. If you don't think Salah would make a difference to every team in the league then you must be Mourinho.

But we have a box to box high pressing ball player. 3 actually, Pereira, Herrera and Fred. If you don't think Salah would make a difference to every team in the league then you must be Mourinho.
How many teams in the top 4 would take Pereira, Herrera and Fred ?
This is getting boring.
Just to end this thread. Salah is the best ever player in the premier league. Happy ?

He'll get there. Had some good games in December before another injury.

Like Fabinho, the good games he's had are a level above what our other midfielders have in their locker

I've seen enough of him to know that he will be a key player at Liverpool. He's too talented to fail.