Moyes: "January not an easy month to purchase in. We have a good squad."

I think we have very few threads on similar topic. So, this thread should in fact be split in two.
1) "January is not an easy month to purchase" 2) "we have a good squad"

And both those statements are true. 7 pages. Mental.

I haven't said anything about this season?

You said someone else could struggle even more, given how this season has gone so far it's hardly possible.

We could have less points etc. Truth is no one knows what difference, positive or negative, an alternative manager would have made.

I don't think any decent manager would get us more than 34 points in 20 games, it's appalingly low points tally for a team that won the league at a canter last season. We've lost 4 games at Old Trafford, more than in any of the last million seasons or so.

If UEFA agreed to release players from cup-tied status for the window, January could be manic.

If UEFA agreed to release players from cup-tied status for the window, January could be manic.
I don't think it's as big an issue as people make it out. Most teams don't really aim at winning Champions League, the main issue with January is teams simply don't want to lose their best players.

I still think we'll sign someone. Not world class, but a player who will at least help us at least.

I don't think it's as big an issue as people make it out. Most teams don't really aim at winning Champions League, the main issue with January is teams simply don't want to lose their best players.

I disagree, I think it is a big deal. If you think of clubs who have serious funds to spend the vast majority will be in the CL already and those looking to improve are likely to be those who have advanced beyond the group stages. Now most of the top players around play for top clubs (i.e those in the CL) so the market place for clubs looking to recruit is restricted to those clubs who didn't qualify for the CL and the number of true quality, proven players at clubs not good enough to achieve European qualification - is quite restrictive.

So essentially clubs are looking for proven quality players who play for clubs not good enough to play for a CL qualifying club - which is a much, much smaller market than what we'd have if restrictions were lifted.

That's why I think January is so slow for the top-tier teams a lot of the time; because the only options to strengthen the squad is to look at teams who weren't good enough to qualify for a competition you want additional reinforcements to try and win. There are obviously a few diamonds in the rough but even still it is inherently quite restrictive.

I do think half the CAF are in denial about how much 'trouble' (relatively speaking) we're actually in. Before the Tottenham defeat we still had morons thinking we were in a title race despite only having beaten a bunch of relegation contenders and the numbers suggesting we'd need to win 17/19 games. Now we have yet more delusion, about our ability to attract players without Champions League football. We couldn't attract our main targets with Champions League football so how the feck people think we're going to be able to this summer is a mystery to me. Moyes has already come out and said Rooney might not sign a new deal if we don't finish top four, I'm certain RVP won't be sticking around, add Vidic, Evra and Ferdinand to that list and suddenly things look quite bleak. Carrick also looks a shadow of his former self, so that's Rooney, RVP, Vidic, Evra, Ferdinand and Carrick who need replacing, our most important players, all without Champions League football. How do we think that's going to work out? We can't compete for the best players, and we certainly don't have the best manager, that doesn't really sound like a recipe for success to me.

Now we come to getting back into the top four, which will be very difficult. Let's presume Liverpool finish fourth as expected, Suarez stays, they become more attractive to prospective players and they actually have money to buy some top quality to go with Suarez. They will only get stronger, whilst it looks like we're only going to get weaker in the short term. We're already miles behind City so we won't be catching them, if Arsenal sign a top striker we're miles behind them too (they also have the best manager in the league) and Chelsea will only improve under Mourinho. Not only does it look unlikely that we'll finish top four this year, it looks bloody difficult next year too, and the longer you're out of it the harder it gets to get back in, Liverpool signed Suarez who has become one of the best players in the world, we'd need to do something similar, but signing top players is difficult, as we've seen with our transfer record in recent years.

Some clever person will probably say we're turning into Rawk with posts like this, this is the total opposite of Rawk, they're a deluded bunch who think they're winning titles when they have no chance, like some on here, this is just realism with a pessimistic slant. As funny as the Neviller insulting anyone who dares to criticise Dave is, we need to be honest and admit he's done an absolutely tumescent job thus far (him picking the right team when we lose yet another home game doesn't really cut it for me, I'm quite old fashioned and think managers do more than just pick sides and make subs), and this was the easy part, finishing top four with this squad, because if he doesn't finish top four he's got a tough job just getting us back into the top four, let alone competing for titles. Hopefully he is the manager Sir Alex and co thought he was, because if he isn't we're definitely in danger of doing a Liverpool.

I do think half the CAF are in denial about how much 'trouble' (relatively speaking) we're actually in. Before the Tottenham defeat we still had morons thinking we were in a title race despite only having beaten a bunch of relegation contenders and the numbers suggesting we'd need to win 17/19 games. Now we have yet more delusion, about our ability to attract players without Champions League football. We couldn't attract our main targets with Champions League football so how the feck people think we're going to be able to this summer is a mystery to me. Moyes has already come out and said Rooney might not sign a new deal if we don't finish top four, I'm certain RVP won't be sticking around, add Vidic, Evra and Ferdinand to that list and suddenly things look quite bleak. Carrick also looks a shadow of his former self, so that's Rooney, RVP, Vidic, Evra, Ferdinand and Carrick who need replacing, our most important players, all without Champions League football. How do we think that's going to work out? We can't compete for the best players, and we certainly don't have the best manager, that doesn't really sound like a recipe for success to me.

Now we come to getting back into the top four, which will be very difficult. Let's presume Liverpool finish fourth as expected, Suarez stays, they become more attractive to prospective players and they actually have money to buy some top quality to go with Suarez. They will only get stronger, whilst it looks like we're only going to get weaker in the short term. We're already miles behind City so we won't be catching them, if Arsenal sign a top striker we're miles behind them too (they also have the best manager in the league) and Chelsea will only improve under Mourinho. Not only does it look unlikely that we'll finish top four this year, it looks bloody difficult next year too, and the longer you're out of it the harder it gets to get back in, Liverpool signed Suarez who has become one of the best players in the world, we'd need to do something similar, but signing top players is difficult, as we've seen with our transfer record in recent years.

Some clever person will probably say we're turning into Rawk with posts like this, this is the total opposite of Rawk, they're a deluded bunch who think they're winning titles when they have no chance, like some on here, this is just realism with a pessimistic slant. As funny as the Neviller insulting anyone who dares to criticise Dave is, we need to be honest and admit he's done an absolutely tumescent job thus far (him picking the right team when we lose yet another home game doesn't really cut it for me, I'm quite old fashioned and think managers do more than just pick sides and make subs), and this was the easy part, finishing top four with this squad, because if he doesn't finish top four he's got a tough job just getting us back into the top four, let alone competing for titles. Hopefully he is the manager Sir Alex and co thought he was, because if he isn't we're definitely in danger of doing a Liverpool.

People will likely criticise you for that but im not one - i agree with you. People don't realise how precarious things are just now. The decisions the club make over the next month or 2 will have long lasting effects on our football club.

Interesting watching Soccer Saturday there - Thommo is absolutely right. More or less said this is Man Utd, doesn't matter who theyre playing - Utd should be playing them off the park at OT. He went on to say that they have to make a statement in this window - not only to bring quality into the team but to put a stop to all the scaremongering about Utd. Remind everyone who this club is.

Fantastic post; you have it spot on.

Excellent post.

People will likely criticise you for that but im not one - i agree with you. People don't realise how precarious things are just now. The decisions the club make over the next month or 2 will have long lasting effects on our football club.

Interesting watching Soccer Saturday there - Thommo is absolutely right. More or less said this is Man Utd, doesn't matter who theyre playing - Utd should be playing them off the park at OT. He went on to say that they have to make a statement in this window - not only to bring quality into the team but to put a stop to all the scaremongering about Utd. Remind everyone who this club is.

The thing is nothing will change. We all know what needs to happen however this window will pass and we wont buy the player/s we need. Now you can say what ever you like about January being hard.. but unfortunately we put ourselves in this position and David Moyes is not SAF to get us out of this situation without throwing money at it.

We need a top four finish.

The thing is nothing will change. We all know what needs to happen however this window will pass and we wont buy the player/s we need. Now you can say what ever you like about January being hard.. but unfortunately we put ourselves in this position and David Moyes is not SAF to get us out of this situation without throwing money at it.

We're 5 points behind a resurgent Liverpool and we have to play Chelsea away soon. We're likely to be cut adrift, tbh. I don't think we're going to do it - hope I'm wrong.

Would the people complaining have preferred Moyes to say "Yeah, we're shit at the moment, going to need a whole new squad. Good thing it's January, at least we won't struggle to bring in players."

That'd be the dressing room gone in two sentences.

Wake the feck up.

Would the people complaining have preferred Moyes to say "Yeah, we're shit at the moment, going to need a whole new squad. Good thing it's January, at least we won't struggle to bring in players."

Wake the feck up.

You're 100% right. It's just a frustrating time and unless Moyes comes out and says, "we've just signed Vidal, Shaw and Draxler", he's going to get hammered.

Wake the feck up.

We don't need Moyes to paint us a perfect f&*king picture... We know its not rosey so he can say what he likes, means nothing. At the end of the day his actions will speak louder than words and I assure you by the end of this window we will still have a gaping whole in our midfielder and wingers that can't assist.

Top 4 is gone pal. Whatever people think of moyes, it was a gamble appointing someone with no trophy winning experience. He may well come good given time, but i don't think the owners believed we would be outside top 4. So, unfortunately for moyes, he wont get that time.

So who do we think is realistic? Lots of names being thrown about, I wouldn't mind Morrison returning, especially if the contract rumours are true and we have a buy back... Other than that it would be a dream come true for one of Vidal/contraeo etc

We don't need Moyes to paint us a perfect f&*king picture... We know its not rosey so he can say what he likes, means nothing. At the end of the day his actions will speak louder than words and I assure you by the end of this window we will still have a gaping whole in our midfielder and wingers that can't assist.

I love your optimism.

The thing is he's right. But it's equally hard to buy at any time when you shop at second tier prices. If we're going to bring in top players it'll be at top prices, which is more likely in the summer when clubs can use the money and before clubs register their European squads.

So who do we think is realistic? Lots of names being thrown about, I wouldn't mind Morrison returning, especially if the contract rumours are true and we have a buy back... Other than that it would be a dream come true for one of Vidal/contraeo etc

Morrison, for all his talent, is not what we need. We need someone ready to do the job now I'm afraid. Morrison alongside someone to walk into first 11 would be sensible.

I'd try and tempt Madrid with 10m for Xabi Alonso

Morrison, for all his talent, is not what we need. We need someone ready to do the job now I'm afraid. Morrison alongside someone to walk into first 11 would be sensible.

I'd try and tempt Madrid with 10m for Xabi Alonso

We have too many players on the wrong side of 30 as it is.

Some good points there but i don't agree on how big a task it is. Vidic and Ferdinands replacements have already been integrated into the team. Carrick is no where near finished he's just not had the games to get into form yet. Replacing Evra is easy as there's a lot of players out there better than him.

We need a LB and a quality midfielder and we'd be in the title race next season. There's no chance we'll let RvP go, only Rooney is likely and if we got in some quality in midfield his loss wouldn't be offset.

Far too early for such doom and gloom

Some good points there but i don't agree on how big a task it is. Vidic and Ferdinands replacements have already been integrated into the team. Carrick is no where near finished he's just not had the games to get into form yet. Replacing Evra is easy as there's a lot of players out there better than him.

We need a LB and a quality midfielder and we'd be in the title race next season. There's no chance we'll let RvP go, only Rooney is likely and if we got in some quality in midfield his loss wouldn't be offset.

Far too early for such doom and gloom

Getting the desired quality in without CL football is not easy.

We have too many players on the wrong side of 30 as it is.

Given the type of player he is i don't see it as a huge risk. Not for the money anyway.

Ask Madrid fans how much they want to keep him and you'll see how good he is

Given the type of player he is i don't see it as a huge risk. Not for the money anyway.

I know he's really good but what's the point in getting another Carrick? He's better, yes, but very, very similar in style. If he was 26 I'd say fair enough but he's even the same age as Carrick.

You have no idea really though, we may sign no one, or we may sign a couple of players who will make a difference. There's no point in all this negativity when the window has hardly been open for 2 mins.
What negativity? I'm agreeing with him that it is hard to sign players that make a difference at this stage of the season.
Not impossible but far from straightforward.

I've talked to three Madrid fans and none of them wants him to stay. Apparently he went to shit last season. Perhaps those Madrid fans I've talked to are just typical tissue-waving cnuts you will find plenty of in their supporting base and not the sensible ones who were aggrieved at Ozil leaving.

Wake the feck up.

I'm not sure he have all of the dressing room on his side any longer.

The best thing he should do is to be quite until he deliver some results or new players. Right now he's chicken food because his words doesn't count, people still remember our last window and how that ended.

I agree with those who say he needs to make a strong statement of intention, buying a quality player is a good start.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk