Moyes: "January not an easy month to purchase in. We have a good squad."

Is January really a bad time to do business in, do we think? There's been some great January signings in the past, although not all were immediate impacts. From memory I can think of Ivanovic, Vidic, Evra, Mascherano, Sturridge and Suarez...

To a certain extent, I think. Clubs will obviously be more reluctant to sell as it would disrupt their team in mid-season. Players will sometimes be reluctant to leave (as with Koke, for example). Plus even if you do make a signing it'll be difficult for them to have an impact straight away (as we saw with Vidoc and Evra). This is a particular problem as the teams that are under the most pressure to buy in January are the ones who have weaknesses that need addressing straight away.

Still, it's certainly possible to make good signings if you go about your business well.

We have the best goal keeper in the prem, one of the best rbs in rafael,our cbs as a group is superior to all other teams as well. Evra has been a bit of a liability but our defense as a whole has to be amongst the best as long as we stop making moronic decisions like playing centrebacks at fullbacks. Again, our collection of strikers is the best in the premier league with city alone challenging us on that. Its everything in the middle thats the problem, with only janujaz and carrick giving some hope for the future.

We have the best goal keeper in the prem, one of the best rbs in rafael,our cbs as a group is superior to all other teams as well. Evra has been a bit of a liability but our defense as a whole has to be amongst the best as long as we stop making moronic decisions like playing centrebacks at fullbacks. Again, our collection of strikers is the best in the premier league with city alone challenging us on that. Its everything in the middle thats the problem, with only janujaz and carrick giving some hope for the future.

IF health, which they haven't been. RB and striker.

It's nigh on impossible to get a top quality player to move though. I wouldn't say any of those were truly top class at the time of transfer. Timescale is not an issue, we know how quickly a move can happen if clubs want it to. I just hope we don't leave it late again, it used to be that the later you leave it the better the price. Well for a start we can't afford to let 4 more games drift by without anyone coming in, but now it seems the later you leave it the dearer it is if you are dealing with a strong club.

I do agree that none of the players I mentioned were established stars on signing but all have had massive impacts at their clubs now. I also don't see us purchasing any top class players, even in the summer, so it might be no harm for Moyes to bring in a few players in January that the club can hopefully progress to a great level.

IF health, which they haven't been. RB and striker.

Yup, but no point in buying for those positions as you will count on the players staying fit in the long term and if they dont then you should get a replacement. Still think the loss of rafael could have been minimized by playing fabio there rather than smalling.

a) That's only a part of it, like I said back in the summer, with Sir Alex, we'd have gone into this season expecting another title, with Moyes I'd have been happy with top 3, but all the signs are there that's he's failing to achieve that.

b) How so? We've a stable base and hence whoever takes over will struggle badly? What kind of logic is that?

c) Mourinho's home record alone will see us much closer to the top of the league.

d) Well, getting Rooney to play well isn't really a major plus when we're languishing midtable. Sir Alex would probably have sold Rooney, but we'd be much much better off.

A) Don't disagree with that, just pointing out that it explains part of our decline at least.

B) We're a stable club, true. We're also the club that's least prepared for this kind of transition though. A huge percentage of our fan base (and players) probably can't remember a time when SAF wasn't in charge here. The new manager also has to deal with constantly being compared to arguably the greatest manager of all time. That's quite to different to Chelsea who have actually become more stable under their new manager and where Mourinho is already the greatest manager in their history. There are pressures involved with the United job that are totally unique and may never occur again. That can't be discounted.

C) Agree, I think Mourinho would be doing better than Moyes. Just not winning the league.

D) There's no guarantee we'd have been better off, especially if our three best players from last season (RvP, Carrick, Rafael) were suffering from injuries as they are this year. Even SAF would have struggled I think, as many said he would last season. The nightmare scenario we all feared last year has actually come true this season. That can't be discounted either.

Sigh. Moyes need to just stay quiet.

Arsenal and Chelsea will make a signing - and this quote from Moyes will just look ridiculous.

Ps. Not even taking into account he couldn't sign his own name in the summer. Seems all transfer windows are a problem

Arsenal and Chelsea will make a signing - and this quote from Moyes will just look ridiculous.

Why will it look ridiculous? January isn't an easy month to purchase players - especially in this world cup year. Players will be reluctant to move from certain clubs. Only players likely to move are those like Berbatov. Mourinho said something along the lines of Chelsea not signing a striker this window - also acknowledging it isn't a good time to sign players.

A) Don't disagree with that, just pointing out that it explains part of our decline at least.

B) We're a stable club, true. We're also the club that's least prepared for this kind of transition though. A huge percentage of our fan base (and players) probably can't remember a time when SAF wasn't in charge here. The new manager also has to deal with constantly being compared to arguably the greatest manager of all time. That's quite to different to Chelsea who have actually become more stable under their new manager and where Mourinho is already the greatest manager in their history. There are pressures involved with the United job that are totally unique and may never occur again. That can't be discounted.

C) Agree, I think Mourinho would be doing better than Moyes. Just not winning the league.

D) There's no guarantee we'd have been better off, especially if our three best players from last season (RvP, Carrick, Rafael) were suffering from injuries as they are this year. Even SAF would have struggled I think, as many said he would last season. The nightmare scenario we all feared last year has actually come true this season. That can't be discounted either.

b) still think Mourinho would have thrived under the pressure of being compared to the greatest ever rather than wilted like Moyes. :(

c) really that far fetched to think he'd have won those 4 home games?

d) Sir Alex would not have gone into this season with this squad... :(

Why will it look ridiculous? January isn't an easy month to purchase players - especially in this world cup year. Players will be reluctant to move from certain clubs. Only players likely to move are those like Berbatov. Mourinho said something along the lines of Chelsea not signing a striker this window - also acknowledging it isn't a good time to sign players.

Precisely, he says something most people were saying a before the window opened, now it's used to criticise him. There are some strange posters on here.

Precisely, he says something most people were saying a before the window opened, now it's used to criticise him. There are some strange posters on here.

Yeah. It's funny looking back at this post in 2009:

Afternoon guys - just some thoughts after last nights game. I was impressed with Obertan, and thought Macheda did very well - got high hopes for both of them.

So, not on the back of last nights game, but more on the season so far - what do you think Utd are missing? I still dont think we are right. Not far away at all, but there does seem to be something lacking.

Lots of names linked - at ridiculous prices which we will not pay in my opinion - who do you think we will make a move for? I really dont see anything happening in the January market, the bigger purchases are always likely to be in the summer (particularly in a World Cup year).

So, in what positions and what players do you see incoming?

I think you can always spot a Utd type player/signing. For example, i see Rodwell as a stick on Utd signing but David Villa just is not. Thoughts?

Basically what he's saying is " no funds have been made available for transfers. That £27 million we spent on Fellaini was our allocation for this season".

Basically what he's saying is " no funds have been made available for transfers. That £27 million we spent on Fellaini was our allocation for this season".

Obviously. There's no other explanation.

And the year before that we had no trophies. Then we added one player who banged in goals like he was playing against five year olds. Then that player came in this year out of form and has spend most of the year injured.

We had 89 points though (despite not winning a trophy) which means that we were as strong as last year.

You may as well tie a blindfold over your eyes, stick your fingers in your ears, and start screaming, "I don't want to hear it" if you're going to pull out the "we finished 15 points up" last year. You play your hand in the most foolish of ways.

That is a fact. Regardless that in your support of the new manager you are belittling the squad of players who won us so much, you can't deny that we managed to get 89 points with the same group of players in last 2 years (bar the 27.5m signing Moyes made). If they were so shit, we wouldn't have managed to get that much points (or being a better team than Madrid)

Yeah, good point about Pep. Definitely bring up managers who weren't ever going to manage us. Makes your argument sound. And you're right, we can't know for sure, so you're only bringing it up because you hate Moyes.

I brought the name of two best managers in the world. I think that we would have done better with many other managers too but it is something more difficult to say. With Pep/Mourinho it is pretty much guaranteed that we would have done much better.

Delusion.

Okay then. We have finished way above them in last 3 years and the squad of players is pretty much the same. There isn't anything delusion to say that we have a squad as good as Chelsea (in fact I think that our squad is better, and so thought 90% of Caf a few months ago, but now is the time to change our opinions in order to make Moyes looks a bit better).

I am done with you in this thread though. We are going into circles now so it's pointless to continue. You think that Chelsea has a superior squad than us, I think that we have a slightly better squad. You think that a manager - who is already considered one of the best ever and has won multiple trophies in every club he has been in charge - wouldn't have done better than a manager who hasn't won anything and biggest accomplishment was taking a club who was fighting relegation to become a stable midtable club, I think that he would have done much better. We obviously aren't going to change each others mind so let's leave it here.

It's lucky that's exactly what Fellaini cost then, otherwise we'd have been fecked. :wenger:

Wasn't some of the Fellaini fee add on's based on trophies won? Surely there's £5 million there to sign that Everton chap.

I'm guessing about £30 million was supposed to get a midfielder ( Fabregas, Thiago, Herrera or Fellaini) and Baines but Woodward fecked up.

Tbf if 30m is supposed to secure Baines plus a midfielder then I don't blame Woody at all.

Well they won't be getting the trophy money anytime soon or ever.

Exactly, so I'd imagine the Fellaini fee is a bit closer to the £20 million mark than the £30 million. He's made feck all appearances too, if that was another clause.

Well to be fair he's right. It took him and Woodward 3 months to pay over the odds for Fellaini. Now he only has like 30 days...

Exactly, so I'd imagine the Fellaini fee is a bit closer to the £20 million mark than the £30 million. He's made feck all appearances too, if that was another clause.
Even at £20 million he's still overpriced by about £5 milllion.

The only established footballer that moyes has a chance of signing in the window is cabaye and he will go to psg if they want him...so he will have to settle for signing unheard of kids this window....his pulling power is not exactly world class in this moment....I hope for his sake that he can get 1 big name in as that might be the only thing that will save his job

The only established footballer that moyes has a chance of signing in the window is cabaye and he will go to psg if they want him...so he will have to settle for signing unheard of kids this window....his pulling power is not exactly world class in this moment....I hope for his sake that he can get 1 big name in as that might be the only thing that will save his job
The Glazer's won't back him financially to bring in a big name, so they can't exactly sack him for it.

How many winter signings has the club made during the Premiership era?

I recall the following and most went on to great success for the club.

95: Cole
96: Coton
02: Forlan
04: Saha (and management fecked up the Robben deal)
06: Evra and Vidic

Zaha was technically a winter signing.

EDIT: Looked up the last 10 years. Lindegaard, Veseli, De Laet, Tosic, Manucho and Dong were all signed in January.

Man, that's a lot of dross.

When he was openly talking about transfer targets in the summer people were going mental that he was being too open.

Now that he is trying to play down expectations, people are going mental that he is too cautious.

This, times a million. I'm sure he knows there is a serious issue with the squad (more-so than any forum dweller or the man who calls in on the radio), considering the amount of midfielders we were after in the summer. He is clearly aware of the situation, & unlike Ferguson, comes across as desperate (albeit too desperate last summer) to address it. Now he is trying to keep things under covers (whether he signs a player in January or not) the 'Manchester United way' (as many were criticizing him of not following) and he is getting abuse for it again.

I can only hope that i'm right, perhaps I read too much into this. If he did actually see no issue with the squad (not exactly what he said, to be fair), then we are in trouble.

Would you rather he came out and said "we're a bit rubbish and are desperate for signings"?

You don't have to say that. You can say something like "We'll be looking at adding one or two players for the run in if the right players are available."

January being a bad time to buy seems like one of the biggest myths in football. Three of our four best players are January purchases. A lot of other clubs have similar successes too.

You seem to speak fluent Moyes, which should come in handy.

Can we start a thread where you act as translator and tell us what Moyes actually means when he does a press conference or speaks after a match?

Ps. Not even taking into account he couldn't sign his own name in the summer. Seems all transfer windows are a problem
I'd rather you and those like you stayed quiet than Moyes, to be completely honest.

so hang on, now we're shifting from, we have money but just made a monumental balls up of the summer transfer window, to we only had £30m to spend anyway?

How does the rumoured, and slightly massively worrying last min desperate £100m bid for Bale come into this?

I'm very sorry to have put it this way and made you have a go at me. Yes, my fault, I shouldn't have written 'pretty sure'. I just think that most of users on here think United squad is the worst (I'm not saying it can't be true) out of all the title contenders. And I assumed that Cal is definitely one of them, it's just how I see him on the Caf. Sorry, sir, I have had a long break from the Caf, so I don't know more about his attitude. It will never happen again.

No, I don't think most users think that. They finished way behind us in all of the last 3 seasons.

If I was the Glazers I would have doubts about letting Moyes spend money too.

If you have doubts about your manager spending money than he shouldn't be the manager, simple as that. If the distrust is so big in Moyes his quality as a manager than he should never have gotten the job in the first place and we'd do well to get rid off him ASAP ! No point in chasing a lost case.

If we keep him on, he should be getting the full trust and support off the top management, if that is not the case than you can forget we'll ever come back to our former glory. If he gets the full support, he should be given the funds to spend if he wants, definitely given our dire situation in the league atm.

If Moyes is kept on as a trainer and the Glazzers have cut the spending, we'll turely become Liverpool 2.0. Enjoy thursday night EL matches and have sweet dreams about the top 4 !