Moussa Dembele

I've never rated Dembele. Didn't watch him last night but he's never looked all that at Fulham. Can beat a man with ease but so wasteful.

Reminds me of Valencia. Not in terms of style but career progress - impressive but not spectacular at a lesser Premier League club and capable of seeing his productivity soar at a top club.

Wasteful? I'd say the opposite. I don't think he wastes enough. Perhaps a little too safe with his passing, and doesn't shoot enough.

Wasteful in that sense then. Like I said he goes past players which means he doesn't lose the ball often but his end product stinks.

thought Gerrard handled him really quite well (Dembele)...and he predictably kept cutting in to his left.

we can do a lot better. he's just flavour of the month imho.

It's funny how Dembele is being judged on his first season to ever play as a midfielder.

All the talk of him moving is laughable. He still has loads to prove in the role.

To be fair I don't think that's a reasonable stance, I judged him on his first game playing central midfield. He simply looks quality in that position, all the criticisms of wastefulness can't be levelled at him there, as its not as big an issue. He's literally a bit of everything that one would want in an archetypal modern central midfielder.

Totally different to Carrick on the ball. He's a ball carrier, and dynamic. Can also pass it. Similar to Anderson actually who everything thought complemented Carrick pretty well season before this one mainly.

Same as Carrick as in he plays the safe side ways ball a lot. I think we could do with a player that offers something else to compliment Carrick, Anderson is much more forceful and explosive than Dembele looked in the game last night.

Yeah agree with Fiskey, he was a different player in centre mid, so should be judged on his performances there.

With another years experience in midfield he'll improve defensively as he can be caught out of position at times, but apart from that he's a good tackler already and has the physique to be very imposing in midfield which is something we lack at times, especially with Fletcher's future uncertain.

He keeps the ball very well, as Brwned said before if anything he plays it too simple at times considering his role is to create chances. So I don't see him as wasteful in possession at all, he gave the ball away the least for Fulham last season.

He has a tendency to go on runs at times, so inevitably loses it occasionally but that is to be expected. His dribbling has probably been the most eye catching element to his game for me, certainly wouldn't want to curb it at United because again it's something we lack bar Anderson.

Same as Carrick as in he plays the safe side ways ball a lot. I think we could do with a player that offers something else to compliment Carrick, Anderson is much more forceful and explosive than Dembele looked in the game last night.

Dembele definitely has that in his locker, no doubt about that.

It's funny how Dembele is being judged on his first season to ever play as a midfielder.

All the talk of him moving is laughable. He still has loads to prove in the role.

I see your point, on the other hand there is obviously advantages in buying a player that is unproven - for instance price. He can obviously improve on certain areas as position and "defensive awareness". On the other hand, beeing one of the best midfielders in the PL in his first season as a midfielder is impressive and a sign of great promise. His abilities on the ball, and physical presence, is without doubt rare, and qualities we miss.

If we wait, and let him improve his weaknesses in another club, hemight be a difficult player to get (and certainly expensive).

That beeing said, I like Witsel better. Remind me abit of a mixture of Gerrard and Hargreaves. Both, Witsel and Dembele, should be on Fergusons mind, in my opinion.

I see your point, on the other hand there is obviously advantages in buying a player that is unproven - for instance price. He can obviously improve on certain areas as position and "defensive awareness". On the other hand, beeing one of the best midfielders in the PL in his first season as a midfielder is impressive and a sign of great promise. His abilities on the ball, and physical presence, is without doubt rare, and qualities we miss.

If we wait, and let him improve his weaknesses in another club, hemight be a difficult player to get (and certainly expensive).

That beeing said, I like Witsel better. Remind me abit of a mixture of Gerrard and Hargreaves. Both should be on Fergusons mind, in my opinion.

Sorry, I'll read that again...

Some comments in this forum speak of Dembele as though he is the second coming. I don't know if United are genuine interested in him - if so, it just underlines the sheer fatuousness of Gill's attempt to assure fans that United are able to compete for top transfers. Time and again, it would appear United's interest falters when it comes to the concept of "value".

Do we really expect a marque signing this summer, a player of proven world/international class? (btw, I think Hazard is unproven, even on the European stage). Do we really need a player like Dembele?

Why on gods green earth would we want Dembele?

Some comments in this forum speak of Dembele as though he is the second coming. I don't know if United are genuine interested in him - if so, it just underlines the sheer fatuousness of Gill's attempt to assure fans that United are able to compete for top transfers. Time and again, it would appear United's interest falters when it comes to the concept of "value".

Do we really expect a marque signing this summer, a player of proven world/international class? (btw, I think Hazard is unproven, even on the European stage). Do we really need a player like Dembele?

Such as?

To be fair I don't think that's a reasonable stance, I judged him on his first game playing central midfield. He simply looks quality in that position, all the criticisms of wastefulness can't be levelled at him there, as its not as big an issue. He's literally a bit of everything that one would want in an archetypal modern central midfielder.
My issue is some people expect him to be the finished article of some sort that is why the criticism is so harsh. Which is laughable! It's his first season in the role. He has shown he has the attributes to possibly become a star in the role. But is yet to show the consistent efficiency required over more than season to be judged fairly.

Not going away.

The Sunday Times yesterday reported that Manchester United have made a bid for Fulham attacker Moussa Dembele. According to the publication, Fulham have rejected United’s offer but are resigned to losing the player eventually and will let him leave should a bid reach their valuation.

There seems to be some weight to this story as it’s cropped up throughout the summer. Although Dembele is far from prolific in front of goal, his skill and flexibility seems to have piqued the interest of Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson. Fergie loves players who can easily adapt to various formations and Dembele fits well into that category. One of the ‘golden generation’ of young Belgian stars, he can play anywhere along the front line or as an attacking midfielder.

Dembele, 24, may not be top of most United fans’ wish list but Sir Alex has a great record of signing players from Fulham. Edwin Van Der Sar was a huge success at the club. Noone would question Louis Saha’s quality despite a terrible run of injuries at United. And Chris Smalling is going to be the best central defender in England in a few years – you heard it first at soccersweep.

This story isn’t going away and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Dembele arrived at Manchester United in the next month.

Dembele is quality and will only get better.

Sure his finishing isnt tops, but his dribbling and short passing ability is up there with the best.

I think fergie could make him magic.

He plays behind the striker, why exactly would that change?

He has just spent the best part of half a season + playing a deeper lying role in CM and has adopted the same position at international level for Belgium, he's been shifted into that position due to his good technical ability and good passing ability as well as decent work rate and tackling.

He also lacks a serious goal threat when played behind the striker or as a striker.

So in answer to your question it already has changed.

I've seen bugger all of him for Belgium but I don't recall him playing many games in a 'deeper' role for Fulham. He's always looked at his best higher up the pitch.

We bought a better player than him in Kagawa anyway, I wouldn't see the point.

He's played a little deeper under Jol to adjust to that formation but hardly slap bang in the middle of the park. Certainly not the sort of player to do the whole 'midfield two' thing

From what I've seen of him there's not a lot of threat in terms of goalscoring, but he keeps the ball extremely well and uses it intelligently. I reckon we could do worse, though I'm not sure he'd be the sort of player who dominates our midfield.

From what I've seen of him there's not a lot of threat in terms of goalscoring, but he keeps the ball extremely well and uses it intelligently. I reckon we could do worse, though I'm not sure he'd be the sort of player who dominates our midfield.

Our midfield was dominated more than enough last season as it is.

Dominated our midfield when we last played Fulham

He was good on the ball without ever really looking like hurting us, IMHO.

I'd have Dembele at Utd definitley. We are linked with every man and his dog though at the moment. Non of it seems concrete.

Nice to see you Werds

I agree. He is a pretty slick player and would be great in a three man midfield though I would prefer Moutinho as he seems more dynamic.