Moussa Dembele

Saturday was the first time I've seen him play well.

Granted, it was also the first time I'd bothered paying attention to him at all, but still, seems an awful lot of fuss for someone who was completely off the radar this time last week.

Been watching him for longer than eight months and since he's been put in midfield he's been a totally different kettle of fish. Looks more at ease than when he's played further up at the oppositions box. Pace, Power & Desire !!!

Have a watch of some time you might be surprised.

Oh come on gents, there's a bloody reason he's at Fulham and no big club has made a serious bid for him. He's not as good as you all make out and certainly not as a holding type player.

Oh come on gents, there's a bloody reason he's at Fulham and no big club has made a serious bid for him. He's not as good as you all make out and certainly not as a holding type player.

Bolded is a bit of a silly argument. He was brought in as a second striker / wide forward and was only converted to midfield last season. Since then he's put in a number of eye catching displays.

Only just turned 25 too.

The guy who ran Fulham's midfield for the past few seasons was Murphy and Dembele was shown in the highlights sporadically, usually having long range shots and having good feet. For me, he isn't consistent enough to warrant such a price tag (or the adulation he's had in here).

Its an easy mistake to make Badunk...

Dembele joined Fulham in 2010/2011 where Mark Hughes was manager of the club. He was used as a striker/winger in the same position as Welbeck is currently with United. Last season however around November Martin Jol tried him out in CM, since then he's settled in that position and cemented himself as a first choice player. So you're right, everyone is basing their opinion on less than a years worth of football (more like 20 odd games). But the reason why so many people rave about him is because he's taken that position and really developed into a very, very good midfielder. He was imo motm for Fulham at Old Trafford last year when we were extremely fortunate to get a 1-0 win.

If he does indeed go to Spurs then frankly I think this will be one of the players we'll really regret not going for, especially at the figures being splashed about.

Bolded is a bit of a silly argument. He was brought in as a second striker / wide forward and was only converted to midfield last season. Since then he's put in a number of eye catching displays.

Only just turned 25 too.

He caught my eye last season too but other than his quick feet, I don't think I was ever impressed enough to get onto friendlytramp to have a word with Sir Alec about signing him.

Its an easy mistake to make Badunk...

Dembele joined Fulham in 2010/2011 where Mark Hughes was manager of the club. He was used as a striker/winger in the same position as Welbeck is currently with United. Last season however around November Martin Jol tried him out in CM, since then he's settled in that position and cemented himself as a first choice player. So you're right, everyone is basing their opinion on less than a years worth of football (more like 20 odd games). But the reason why so many people rave about him is because he's taken that position and really developed into a very, very good midfielder. He was imo motm for Fulham at Old Trafford last year when we were extremely fortunate to get a 1-0 win.

If he does indeed go to Spurs then frankly I think this will be one of the players we'll really regret not going for, especially at the figures being splashed about.

I don't think so*.

*Providing Anderson and Cleverley live up to their billing.

I don't think so*.

*Providing Anderson and Cleverley live up to their billing.

I'm sure Clev will do the business for us Carl, but Ando... I really want him to come good, my heart really wants him to do it. My head however says that we're chasing a lost cause.

Whatever happens, next Summer we'll be forced to buy a CM and their aren't many options left.

I'm sure Clev will do the business for us Carl, but Ando... I really want him to come good, my heart really wants him to do it. My head however says that we're chasing a lost cause.

I dunno. I'm still optimistic I guess because the talent is there. It's purely down to injuries IMO.

If he can stay fit (and I realise how big an "if" that is) then I think he could be a huge player for us and no, that was not a fat joke! ;)

Whatever happens, next Summer we'll be forced to buy a CM and their aren't many options left.

True, but that will be to replace/compete with Carrick. Signing Dembele wouldn't change that.

Hasn't everyone - Fergie included - been saying this for the past few seasons?

Would be an awesome replacement for Modric

I'd think so too. He's a different type of player but his effect on a game will be undeniable if he repeats those performances against us. His abilty to carry the ball and occupy numerous players will create space others to exploit. He may not have the range of Modric but he can also pick a decent pass. Good business all round from Spurs.

Not saying we are in for him - I am saying we should be

Obviously Fergie said we are done this transfer window. And I dont think we really need him anyway. We already have Carrick, Cleverley and Anderson in CM. Plus, we have Scholesy and Giggsy, and even Fletcher, as back up. You can argue that only Carrick is our 'defensive' midfielder but I dont think Dembele wants to come to us to play backup to him.

I would be happy if we did sign him, but with Fletcher looking like he can actually come back from his illness I'm happy to give him a chance to come back and be one of our regular midfielders. Carrick, Scholes, Anderson, Cleverley, Fletcher, Giggs and Powell really should be enough.

I would be happy if we did sign him, but with Fletcher looking like he can actually come back from his illness I'm happy to give him a chance to come back and be one of our regular midfielders. Carrick, Scholes, Anderson, Cleverley, Fletcher, Giggs and Powell really should be enough.

Huh? Really? Wasn't Fergie already talking about coaching roles etc?

The caf likes a midfielder so he must be signed. Perhaps the fact that he is going to Spurs indicates his true level?

Perceptions of how good Dembélé is are so overinflated following his performance on Saturday it's untrue. Yes, he played well, and yes he's a talented player, but the way some have gone on, you'd think he and Fulham had played us off the park in a manner reminiscent of Barcelona.

The reality of the matter is that United dominated in general play, despite having only one fit centre back - who is nowhere near his best - and having to play the screening midfielder out of position. Sorry, but Dembélé didn't exactly excel while we were ploughing through them at will in the first half.

The only player in that list that can be relied upon to appear regularly is Carrick.

We all HOPE that Cleverly stays fit
We all HOPE that Scholes and Giggs can maintains their levels
We all HOPE that Fletcher comes back, and the biggest hope of all is that
Anderson actually comes good.

Too much dependency on a lot of variables for me. Dembele looks a quality player, 15m is value, and not only could he play with Carrick, but he could also replace Carrick when needed. Are people seriously suggesting that Carrick, being the main man in midfield, is going to play every match. Because I don't fancy many of the other combos.

The only player in that list that can be relied upon to appear regularly is Carrick.

We all HOPE that Cleverly stays fit
We all HOPE that Scholes and Giggs can maintains their levels
We all HOPE that Fletcher comes back, and the biggest hope of all is that
Anderson actually comes good.

Too much dependency on a lot of variables for me. Dembele looks a quality player, 15m is value, and not only could he play with Carrick, but he could also replace Carrick when needed. Are people seriously suggesting that Carrick, being the main man in midfield, is going to play every match. Because I don't fancy many of the other combos.

I we signed Dembélé, we'd be HOPING that he could make the step up.

I don't buy into your argument. There's a degree of doubt, irrespective of which player we look at.

Who's to say Dembélé, a player who's only been a midfielder for a season, would be good enough to excel in United's midfield?

Well he looks like he's got himself his platform to Madrid in a couple of years time anyway.

£15m is a decent chunk of money for someone who hasn't played all that much in a role I see comparable to Anderson. He was very good on Saturday but he's needed at Spurs more than here, who else do they have in midfield? Sandro, Livermore, Parker (injured) Jenas (permacrock), Huddlestone (leaving?). They needed someone badly, we need something different and Dembele isn't that special that he should be signed regardless, imo.

The thing is, lots of people rave about Dembele's speed and technique, but I would still wager that a fit Anderson is faster (see youtube videos of Anderson runs against Liverpool and Villa http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uG0yvWsPDg&feature=related ) and has more technical ability.

So, IF Anderson comes good and Cleverley stays fit I think we are well stacked. The other big if is IF Dembele is good enough...

The thing is, lots of people rave about Dembele's speed and technique, but I would still wager that a fit Anderson is faster (see youtube videos of Anderson runs against Liverpool and Villa http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uG0yvWsPDg&feature=related ) and has more technical ability.

So, IF Anderson comes good and Cleverley stays fit I think we are well stacked. The other big if is IF Dembele is good enough...

That Anderson is long gone im afraid..

The injuries and his body has changed.

I dunno. I'm still optimistic I guess because the talent is there. It's purely down to injuries IMO.

If he can stay fit (and I realise how big an "if" that is) then I think he could be a huge player for us and no, that was not a fat joke! ;)

Trouble is we can't defend for shit in midfield without Carrick. I dread a lengthy spell without him. Small, unimposing and defensively very suspect in midfield without the ball.

The stats don't make pretty reading im afraid. I think it's going to cost us in the end.

That Anderson is long gone im afraid..

The injuries and his body has changed.

He definitely hasn't lost pace. He's still bloody quick. He was just offered a ridiculous amount of space there. What he has to work on is his end product after the driving run.

Yeah agree with Randall, not a bad price at all. If he continues to improve at the current rate and gets another season of playing CM under him, his value will shoot up further.

For the way he's performed since being moved 15mil is a fair price in this market for someone who's 25 years of age.

I just hope we see this as something to try take advantage of rather than pay the 25 in a couple of years. Or seeing him being shipped off to Real for a similar fee as we are seeing here.