Moussa Dembele

Far too many people are reading too much into that one game against us.

It's a fecking bizarre way to judge a player. Yes he showed great qualities and gave us problems, doesn't mean that's how he plays week in week out, or that he's what we need.

Yes but that is currently his main role for both Belgium and Fulham. He played the same role during Belgium friendly with England before the euros.

The doctor gets called out of the room where he's assessing Dembele and in walks - in full hospital scrubs and stethoscope - Fergie. Dembele starts crying, the nurses start clapping and someone makes an awkward joke about a prostate exam which rather kills the mood.*

Oh, it's on. Big time.

Yeah, and spurs ended up with ...

The word you're struggling to find is "progress".

We've finished in 4th place twice in the last 3 years, have just finished building a world-class training centre and our plans for the new stadium complex are moving on (construction work starts on the first element this September).

Some of this is funded by occasionally selling players like Carrick and Berbatov for big money. But we usually find new players that are just as good in some position(s) or other - Modric, Walker, Bale etc - and maybe Dembele will become that also.

You apparently think this is all bad business (Carrick etc) for Spurs. But the record shows otherwise.

Very disappointed. Looks the perfect player for us. Strange signing for Spurs as he is a completely different player to Modric but should still be a fantastic signing.

We've finished in 4th place twice in the last 3 years, have just finished building a world-class training centre and our plans for the new stadium complex are moving on (construction work starts on the first element this September).

Some of this is funded by occasionally selling players like Carrick and Berbatov for big money. But we usually find new players that are just as good in some position(s) or other - Modric, Walker, Bale etc - and maybe Dembele will become that also.

You apparently think this is all bad business (Carrick etc) for Spurs. But the record shows otherwise.

Yeah, yeah, keep chasing that rainbow. One day you'll be as good as Arsenal.

Carrick was a great deal for both clubs. Spurs dry bummed us over Berbatov.

Very disappointed. Looks the perfect player for us. Strange signing for Spurs as he is a completely different player to Modric but should still be a fantastic signing.

I disagree emphatically. He looks a very good player and he'd do well for us. But we already have Cleverley and Anderson that operate in that midfield position. Unless we were to offload one of them 2 then we're well stocked in that area.

Carrick was a great deal for both clubs. Spurs dry bummed us over Berbatov.

Wouldn't have won the league without Berba though. That's the difference. And you get a lot more cash that way.

I disagree emphatically. He looks a very good player and he'd do well for us. But we already have Cleverley and Anderson that operate in that midfield position. Unless we were to offload one of them 2 then we're well stocked in that area.

Ah, they'll all be looking for the next flavor of the week. Probably whoever plays well for Southampton.

Christ, do you ever just laugh-off an obviously light-hearted remark about Spurs?

Christ, do you ever just laugh-off an obviously light-hearted remark about Spurs?

There is no laughing. There is fun. There is only rushing around the Internet to put straight anyone who doubts that Spurs' ultimate domination of football is just around the corner.

Wouldn't have won the league without Berba though. That's the difference. And you get a lot more cash that way.

Debatable. Chances are we'd have signed someone else who may have done better or worse. Who knows.

Ah, they'll all be looking for the next flavor of the week. Probably whoever plays well for Southampton.

The hysteria since the weekend has been a bit bizarre. He looks flashy on the ball which is obviously what catches the eye but our midfield dominated their midfield for the majority of the game.

Bloody hell, you are so uptight about Spurs

Dembele is good business, well done. Now go crack one off in your Daniel Levy shrine and come back with a bit of banter you miserable bugger.

Debatable. Chances are we'd have signed someone else who may have done better or worse. Who knows.

Yeah probably would of played Tevez more which then may have led to him staying at the club and then who knows....

(yes Tevez is a Cnut but still he's a great player)

The hysteria since the weekend has been a bit bizarre. He looks flashy on the ball which is obviously what catches the eye but our midfield dominated their midfield for the majority of the game.

Well, there's a longstanding British desire to see a big bastard who will get stuck in, or at least just run around fast a lot.

Cleverley is a completely different type of player, albeit playing in central midfield, but I think he'd be excellent alongside Dembele. Carrick, Dembele and Cleverley would be a great range of options. Anderson is much more similar to Dembele and I'd agree that his place at the club would be in doubt if Dembele's ever came here.

But personally I'm growing a little tired of his constant revolving circle of form (gradually builds up form - has some brilliant games - gets injured - is utter shite on his return). I'm sure there are loads of examples of posts I've made on here that show I've always been one of Anderson's biggest defenders. But if his presence in the side is preventing purchases of the quality of Dembele then I really wonder whether it's worthwhile keeping him. All that promise he showed early on is something I've constantly clung on to, but at 24 with very little improvement having been made, it looks less and less likely.

Sure, but Berbatov played a big part in us winning a run of games after the World Club Cup in early 2009 when everyone expected the team to be tired and Liverpool streak. I'll always love him for that alone.

As a load of people on here have already pointed out, Dembele is far from 'flavour of the week'. Was fantastic as a forward but never something we really needed, but his conversion into a midfielder over the last year has really emphasised what a great addition he could be here.

Yeah probably would of played Tevez more which then may have led to him staying at the club and then who knows....

(yes Tevez is a Cnut but still he's a great player)

Ah of course. Forgot about Tevez.

Well, there's a longstanding British desire to see a big bastard who will get stuck in, or at least just run around fast a lot.

I think that's a little unfair to be honest. He's a good player.

Watching the game back I noticed where he had the ball - all over the pitch. He didn't really have a set position, he just drifted around. You're not going to dominate a midfield like that. Also, United's midfield is better than Fulham's (yes, honestly), so we should hope to dominate it, especially at home where we should dictate possession, but if we're excluding Kagawa, Dembele was quite possibly the best midfielder on the pitch on Saturday.

What's interesting is that Dembele would probably go for something around half of what Modric did, which would be fantastic value.

Cleverley is a completely different type of player, albeit playing in central midfield, but I think he'd be excellent alongside Dembele. Carrick, Dembele and Cleverley would be a great range of options. Anderson is much more similar to Dembele and I'd agree that his place at the club would be in doubt if Dembele's ever came here.

But personally I'm growing a little tired of his constant revolving circle of form (gradually builds up form - has some brilliant games - gets injured - is utter shite on his return). I'm sure there are loads of examples of posts I've made on here that show I've always been one of Anderson's biggest defenders. But if his presence in the side is preventing purchases of the quality of Dembele then I really wonder whether it's worthwhile keeping him. All that promise he showed early on is something I've constantly clung on to, but at 24 with very little improvement having been made, it looks less and less likely.

I agree with your Dembele/Cleverley/Anderson comparisons. I'm aware Dembele and Cleverley are different in their play but they operate in that same midfield spot IMO. All 3 are the sort of player you'd partner with someone like Carrick. Not with each other.

Although, Cleverley's development is intriguing too me as he's not going as I expected.

Sure, but Berbatov played a big part in us winning a run of games after the World Club Cup in early 2009 when everyone expected the team to be tired and Liverpool streak. I'll always love him for that alone.

Aye there's absolutely no doubting he's had his moments for the club.

Bloody hell, you are so uptight about Spurs

Maybe some Caftards should try looking in the mirror occasionally.

This forum often goes into over-drive - hunting in packs - whenever a non-United fan says anything critical of MUFC or any of it's players. There's not much of a "light-hearted" approach to be witnessed there.

I got banned for a while merely for suggesting that MUFC fans were obsessed with Liverpool.

So I doubt it would go down well if I started making some "light-hearted" cracks about "Dembele choosing Spurs over United" when it's pretty obvious that many of you wanted to see him at your club.

Imagine if Levy was at United. We'd have signed Mvila for 10m two years ago and sold Ronnie for 150m

A lot of people don't like him and try and find fault with him, but Levy really is the best in the business. The was he has built Spurs up over the years is very impressive. He's like a robot, in the way he doesn't seem to allow emotion to get in the way of anything. I so often see people asking where Spurs get all the money from, or if they have a sugar daddy, or speculating that they must be in debt. But the truth is Levy runs that club financially as well as a club can be run and therefore they are able to spend a fair but and still live within their means. The commercial deals he's done for them, considering their size, put everyone else to shame. The media, Spurs fans and pundits, complain about some of his transfer antics, but ultimately by sticking to his guns, he's been able to build a very impressive squad of players.

Saturday was the first time I've seen him play well.

Granted, it was also the first time I'd bothered paying attention to him at all, but still, seems an awful lot of fuss for someone who was completely off the radar this time last week.

You've just about found a proper striker after Berbatov had left (Adebayor) and we'll see how this goes. If possessing no quality player up front since 2008 was in your plan then fair enough.

Maybe some Caftards should try looking in the mirror occasionally.

This forum often goes into over-drive - hunting in packs - whenever a non-United fan says anything critical of MUFC or any of it's players. There's not much of a "light-hearted" approach to be witnessed there.

I got banned for a while merely for suggesting that MUFC fans were obsessed with Liverpool.

So I doubt it would go down well if I started making some "light-hearted" cracks about "Dembele choosing Spurs over United" when it's pretty obvious that many of you wanted to see him at your club.

Seems like you didn't like the term "light-hearted". Never mind.

The observation being made is that many (all?) of your posts on this forum about Spurs come across as entirely out of sync with the tone of this forum - so straight, defensive and somewhat angry - which probably explains why some posters like to needle you as they'll always get a reaction when you're actually a knowledgeable poster.

You are of course able to post in whichever tone you wish (within the forum rules obviously) - it's just so peculiar to read such posts in contrast with the rest of the forum (not just United fans either, other rival fans seem to have a similarly easy-going approach, even when posting about their own clubs).

Congrats on the signing; I think he'll do well for you. If you sell him on at some stage then I'm sure you'll do good business, but I hope you can continue your progress and replace one of the sugar-daddy clubs currently blocking your deserved place in the Champions League with ourselves and Arsenal.

A lot of people don't like him and try and find fault with him, but Levy really is the best in the business. The was he has built Spurs up over the years is very impressive. He's like a robot, in the way he doesn't seem to allow emotion to get in the way of anything. I so often see people asking where Spurs get all the money from, or if they have a sugar daddy, or speculating that they must be in debt. But the truth is Levy runs that club financially as well as a club can be run and therefore they are able to spend a fair but and still live within their means. The commercial deals he's done for them, considering their size, put everyone else to shame. The media, Spurs fans and pundits, complain about some of his transfer antics, but ultimately by sticking to his guns, he's been able to build a very impressive squad of players.

I always facepalm at posts like these, since in reality nobody really knows unless they are involved directly in these things.

You've just about found a proper striker after Berbatov had left (Adebayor) and we'll see how this goes. If possessing no quality player up front since 2008 was in your plan then fair enough.

Yep, the striker department has been a definite weakness with us for a while now.

Adebayor on a permanent is good start, but we need one more. Maybe Levy will pull a rabbit out of the hat this time around ... who knows.

Why are people upset over this?

It doesn't even look like we were seriously interested in him.

Why are people upset over this?

It doesn't even look like we were seriously interested in him.

A lot of us want the central-midfield strengthened, and in many cases have done so since the first Barca final in '09. This has driven many of us slightly mad, to the stage that we're now eager to sign almost anyone that has played in that area at some stage :wenger: :lol:

What's it gonna be called, the chicken coop? Taking pride about getting more than market value from us is a measure of the inferiority of your club, ask Carrick or Berbatov if they regret moving, look what they have won compared to spurs in the same timeframe. But I guess it's all relative, yous are what yous are.

I think we offered what he was really worth (to us). Spurs just sold Modric for about £30 mill, so this has a touch of the Torres/Carroll about it. They needed someone pronto and got jibbed on the price.

I don't watch Fulham week in and week out, as is probably the case with most of this forum, and only see him on stuff like MOTD. The guy who ran Fulham's midfield for the past few seasons was Murphy and Dembele was shown in the highlights sporadically, usually having long range shots and having good feet. For me, he isn't consistent enough to warrant such a price tag (or the adulation he's had in here). Mind you, when bog-standard players like Fletcher are going for silly money, it's not surprising.

I think we offered what he was really worth (to us). Spurs just sold Modric for about £30 mill, so this has a touch of the Torres/Carroll about it. They needed someone pronto and got jibbed on the price.

I don't watch Fulham week in and week out, as is probably the case with most of this forum, and only see him on stuff like MOTD. The guy who ran Fulham's midfield for the past few seasons was Murphy and Dembele was shown in the highlights sporadically, usually having long range shots and having good feet. For me, he isn't consistent enough to warrant such a price tag (or the adulation he's had in here). Mind you, when bog-standard players like Fletcher are going for silly money, it's not surprising.

Huh? I don't recall us making an offer.