Moussa Dembele

To be fair though if we could get him for a decent price and he was happy to be in rotation with Carrick and Clev then he'd be a good signing. Still wouldn't say he's the ideal sort of player we need but he's not a bad shout and better than not buying a midfielder at all. Like I said though if we were going to buy a midfielder I'd prefer someone who natural game is strong defensively. Pretty much be minimizing Ando's involvement though.

That is exactly what i have been saying to you Ash. If i had read this effort from you sooner, i wouldn't have bothered with the other reply!

We have waited long enough for Anderson imo. There is little value in waiting any longer. I'd swap him for Dembele right now, let fulham wait for him to fulfill his potential.

Well like I said if Fergie really won't buy an alternative to Carrick and Dembele is happy to be part of the squad then sure bring him in. But that depends on whether he would be happy to alternate with Clev and sometimes Carrick and as my main point has been, he wouldn't solve, at least not imediaely anyway the issue of the midfield when Carrick is injured. At best he'd be another project there or just competition for Clev. Personally I would imagine Fergie wants to give Clev as much game time as he can and I doubt Dembele would want to be just a squad player- that's not to say Clev is better right not, but that Fergie clearly wants Cleverley to develop and he needs as much games as possible to do that.

But like I said if Dembele would be happy to be part of the squad and potentially adapt him game to be more reserved then sure, but personally I think that if Fergie is going to spend cash on a midfielder it should be someone who naturally plays a more defensive game. That's all I'm really saying. No question Dembele is a good player and couldn't improve us but that if we are going to sign a midfielder then getting another attacking one, or another project if we try and make him play deeper, is not ideal imo.

That is exactly what i have been saying to you Ash. If i had read this effort from you sooner, i wouldn't have bothered with the other reply!

We have waited long enough for Anderson imo. There is little value in waiting any longer. I'd swap him for Dembele right now, let fulham wait for him to fulfill his potential.

Yeah sorry, I've probably not really explained my self very well.

Basically if we won't sign an alternative to Carrick then yeah I'd prefer Dembele to no one.

But that would depend on whether Dembele would be happy to be part of rotation, at 25 he might not want to be, I don't think we should bring him in over Clev as when Clev is the same age he might well be better.

Additionally I don't think Dembele is the ideal player for us as he isn't an alternative to Carrick. Maybe he could play there or adapt to it, but that's another project in midfield again. Personally I'd rather we sign someone who actually play the role.

On Ando well I sort of agree, if we could get someone like Dembele, who's happy to be part of the squad and for pretty cheap then I'd be tempted to reduce Ando to fourth choice as well. Bit off a waste though.

Dembele and Fellaini have both been spoken about on here before so it's only natural they're going to be discussed even more after playing a blinder against us. If a Southampton midfielder puts in as good a performance against us, we won't see a thread in the transfer forum.

Dembele and Fellaini have both been spoken about on here before so it's only natural they're going to be discussed even more after playing a blinder against us. If a Southampton midfielder puts in as good a performance against us, we won't see a thread in the transfer forum.
Too much sense in one paragraph, can you water it down with some bollox and muppetry next time please.

is that true?

how much weight do we give to all these press speculation.

But I have read over the summer we were interested in him after the whole Modric meltdown. And we had some less the 'reputable' sources saying we were going to sign Valencia..which eventually came true.

Its really all hit and miss.

We will know by Friday for sure if Dembele or anyone else is coming.

how much weight do we give to all these press speculation.

But I have read over the summer we were interested in him after the whole Modric meltdown. And we had some less the 'reputable' sources saying we were going to sign Valencia..which eventually came true.

Its really all hit and miss.

We will know by Friday for sure if Dembele or anyone else is coming.

I meant the bit I quoted.

That was some performance, we simply couldn't cope. He either highlighted our weakness in midfield or he's just that good. Not sure if we should get him though, Ando does a lot of the same things on the ball, if pre-season is anything to go by this could be a good season for him.

That was some performance, we simply couldn't cope. He either highlighted our weakness in midfield or he's just that good. Not sure if we should get him though, Ando does a lot of the same things on the ball, if pre-season is anything to go by this could be a good season for him.

I was thinking about that too.. but at least based on the admittedly small handful of performances that I've seen of him with Fulham in midfield, he seems to have a better engine, and somewhat more grit when trying to get the ball back. But yes, Anderson on his day would be almost on par.. but he doesn't do those frequently :rolleyes:

Albeit not regularly enough, when Ando wants he can he a real force in the centre of the park but he just doesn't seem to be able to sustain it. I know his injury record hasn't helped in his progression but I'm hoping your right and this is a big season for him, he needs to put in the kind of performance we saw agains arsenal on a regular enough basis or he could be goners come the end of the season. I wouldn't say fergie has much patience left for him, he's had a few seasons under his belt now and hasn't delivered.

It's similar to dembele really, Ando was considered to play further forward but we decided to develop him at centre mid. The transition for dembele has been He wasn't dangerous enough in front mod goal so they have shifted him back but his progression since being moved has been pretty remarkable compared to that of ando. He performed consistently through the second half of last season, didn't look one bit out of place playing there for Belgium against England and has now come out of the blocks this season playing there for Jol. he always seemed to want the ball when I watched him first at Fulham but now that he's n the centre of the park it suits him even more as he sees more than enough of the ball and he's actually very good at helping to orchestrate attacks.

I would be pretty certain if he came into the fold it would be between Dembele and TC to partner Carrick each week in the middle depending on what system we use. Ando would be pushed back to 3rd choice and if he didn't respond with some amazing performances when he gets his chance he would be off.

Hmm, heard that 'could be a good season for Anderson' or how about 'this could be the year where Anderson steps up'. how about the far more likely 'this is the year where Anderson does what he has done every other year, flatter to deceive'?

For me if you liken them to cars, Dembele is the sleeker, faster, more reliable, turbo charged version of what Anderson was bought to be. He has a bigger engine, more power, more speed, and better control in tight situations.

So do we want to continue with the unreliable sluggish version which is always in the garage, or the new improved version which looks turbo charged and ready to rock!!! :drool:

I'm actually happy with our midfield options :wenger: There's a lot of potential in Ando and Tom, for all his physical presence I don't see Dembele being a serious improvement to what we've got.

Obviously Ando's fitness is an issue, but there's not much you can do about that. He did well vs Fulham, and seems to have a real affinity with Tom.

Edit: I'm always up for some rock apotheosis, but I'd rather keep it old school. Believe :)

I agree there is potential in both Ando and clev but with clev he nly really came through properly last season and was hampered by some injuries along the way. Now this year he has a clean start and it's looking good so hopefully injuries don't get in the way for him again. Ando on the other hand has been here 4 years and injured regularly in that period, there's only so long you can keep saying he's got potential, the fact is he has to start turning that potential into consistent performances over a sustained period of time. I'm up for giving him another season but I don't think that means we should rest on our laurels whilst doing so. He's had a preseason under his belt which is a massive boost for him but he has a lot of work to do to stay at this club after this season.

Signing the likes of Kagawa may help in that respect as it is competition for him in the midfield this year but it's not really a direct challenge on his exact position. If we had Fletcher fully available he would already be behind Clev in the pecking order.

I would much rather have a player like Dembele, than boring defensive cm like de jong, mikael or lucas....

Just sign the fecker...

What's even keeping this thread going? Other than him playing well against us on Saturday.

I mean, there's no real pre-text to this, so not sure why people think we might do a deal. It's not exactly like United to move so late in the window.

It would be interesting having him in the side, simply for his ability to turn under pressure and push forward. The likes of Kagawa would thrive with that sort of service. We would be even more of a nightmare for opposing teams on the break.

Our current crop of midfielders seem more inclined to pass it sideways or back to a defender while under pressure.

Agreed his performance sat has re- fuelled all the talk, but it was the
Impact he had in the game in terms of power and drive box to box which highlighted what we clearly lack. we have the creativity now with kagawa but lack the power and drive previous utd team's have had( robson,Keane,ince)

What's even keeping this thread going? Other than him playing well against us on Saturday.

I mean, there's no real pre-text to this, so not sure why people think we might do a deal. It's not exactly like United to move so late in the window.

Agreed we are most likely not going to sign him.

But I've been really impressed with him when I've seen Fulham play, really the stand out player there. And one can always hope.

Bit surprised he only scored 7 goals in 73 games since joining Fulham.

Agreed his performance sat has re- fuelled all the talk, but it was the
Impact he had in the game in terms of power and drive box to box which highlighted what we clearly lack. we have the creativity now with kagawa but lack the power and drive previous utd team's have had( robson,Keane,ince)

Spot on.

Agreed we are most likely not going to sign him.

But I've been really impressed with him when I've seen Fulham play, really the stand out player there. And one can always hope.

Bit surprised he only scored 7 goals in 73 games since joining Fulham.

He was shit in front of goal when he was played further forward, he didn't seem to stick away enough of his chances but he was always seemed capable of creating something. Jol then had a bright idea and here we all are 8 months later wanking ourselves silly for him.

He really does look like a quality option for CM and he represents value to as he's young and in the last year of his contract.

whats all this talk of Fulham picking up an option on him until 2014? Is there any weight to it?

To be fair i dont think it makes much difference, if we want him, he will come. No proof as yet though that we are interested, and generally when a player is so good and available from a smaller club we generally miss out, and buy them later for double the price.

Has this been confrimed then? That we definately made a bid of 5mil? If we did we had better be coming back with a renewed one to see if we can twist some arms.

No, no conformation. Just a rubbish twitter rumour as usual. Nothing on sky sports / ESPN worth thinking about.

No, no conformation. Just a rubbish twitter rumour as usual. Nothing on sky sports / ESPN worth thinking about.

Not that they're any better than twitter the 5m bid was apparently reported by talkSport

Dembele, meanwhile, will not be allowed to leave Craven Cottage for less than £15 million - a price tag that is serving to deter Tottenham from making a move at present.

Manchester United attempted to sign the Belgium international earlier this summer, but their £5 million offer was viewed as derisory by the Cottagers.