Moussa Dembele

How is he not what we are after? It's been clear for a long time we need a 'box to box' player, if you want to use FM expressions, that's exactly what Dembele is. The people around me at the game were wincing every time Dembele got the ball, he was a machine today.

I think Carrick in there alongside clev or ando would have made a big difference. This game reinforced for me my belief that ando and clev are a great attacking combo but questionable defensively. But like I said if we got Dembele where would you play him? Drop Carrick or Clev from the first 11? Personally I think to get the best out of a Dembele as that box to box player then you want a more reserved player next to him, i.e. Toure has Barry/De Jong/ Rodwell. But then if you drop Clev you might well be leaving out a player who could be even better at 25 than Dembele is.

Definitely agree that we need a midfielder and that Dembele would be great to have but I think in terms of first choice Carrick and Clev could be very good and wouldn't get exposed by such physical force as Clev and Ando/Scholes would, due to Carrick's better defensive capabilities and clev's work rate.

Maybe Carrick and TC will be great, who knows? All i am saying is that if SAF does go for Dembele, looking at our current midfield pairings, it would be easy for me to see why, and even easier to see how we much we could benefit from what he regularly offers.

Buy him. Seriously, just fecking buy him.

He's everything Anderson should be, but isn't.

Put this to a mate on Twitter after the match today, he is basically the player we expected Anderson to be by now. Very impressive.

Maybe Carrick and TC will be great, who knows? All i am saying is that if SAF does go for Dembele, looking at our current midfield pairings, it would be easy for me to see why, and even easier to see how we much we could benefit from what he regularly offers.

Don't disagree but we could equally benefit from keeping clev in while he's fit, my point is more that if he were to come straight in to the team we'd have to drop Clev which would be a shame and if he does come as a squad player I dunno how happy he would be with that. Still if Fergie did it I'd be happy.

If Dembele is available for 12-15 mill then he would be the physical presence and ball carrying mid we need. SAF must have been impressed today, he stood out as the best player on the pitch for me.

Is there anything substantial to link us to him? Are we even interested? I was under the impression SAF was done spending (I've been off the radar for a week or so though)

He was a beast today, for the likely price it's hard to imagine why we wouldn't try to get him in.

He was excellent and although I would never say no to a good player coming to the club, I do wonder where he'd fit in (assuming we are to ever get a season when our midfield stay fit for the most part).

He was excellent and although I would never say no to a good player coming to the club, I do wonder where he'd fit in (assuming we are to ever get a season when our midfield stay fit for the most part).

Really? I think he'd cover the area that Carrick and Anderson currently fill, an area where we're comparatively thin on the ground. Carrick can't play every game, and Anderson has never quite provided the goods but is a handy squad player.

If he were one of ours, I think we'd see him in the middle regularly, partnering either Carrick or Cleverley depending on the opposition and how attack minded our approach was.

Don't see why you'd want him to be a replacement/back up for Carrick, he excelled today in a role where he helped out defensively but ultimately had Diarra as the defensive player in the middle. Could do a job there but against the better teams his lack of defensive knowledge would likely be shown up in a similar way to our midfield sans Carrick might be. If we got him I agree he'd be great to have in games where we need to be stronger and def would be a great option to have but I don't think he'd solve the issue we might have if Carrick is out. Though maybe he could grow in to that role.

Best player on the pitch for either team today, he's been a revelation since moving back to centre mid, it suits his game perfectly.

Physically he is just so dominant, glides past payers as if they aren't there just shrugging off challenges. Defensively he is getting better with every game, 7 tackles today is again testemant to his strength as he would barge Cleverley or Kagawa off the ball, happened so many times.

Positionally he even looks to have improved which last year was my only concern about him, Jol seems to have him sitting deeper than last season which suits him better and stops him getting caught out, whilst keeping his freedom to dribble forward.

Can't see us getting him as reckon it would be upwards of £20million, but whoever does will have a star in a few years. He hasn't even played centre mid for a season so with more experience he will only get better.

The commentators kept talking about his likely departure to Madrid. I haven't heard anything on that though, and there I'm really not sure where he'd fit in as their midfield is already very strong in both quality and depth.

Alternative to the Modric transfer.

He would suit them as people suspect Mourinho is looking to move back to a 4-5-1 with three in the middle that he has always preferred, instead of the current 4-2-3-1. At least in some games. So it would push Ozil wide and make space for another centre mid, which looks to be Modric but Dembele is touted as an alternative.

Hmm, you'd think we'd be silly not to at least seriously consider Dembele after that. That was absolutely quality. Problem is that it all gets a bit mental in the middle if we sign him.

Cleverley looks class, and we should be playing more often that not from now on if we want him to make it here. Then you've got Carrick who we need to play unless we want to run the risk of suffering an absolutely brainfart defensively in midfield without. Scholes, Anderson, Giggs....even Powell and some of the other younger players in the future. Dembele is pretty young himself, and will definitely harm the chances of these players.

Maybe a 3 man midfield would be the way to go if we were to sign him, but then we've got one less place to fit Van Persie, Welbeck, Hernandez, Kagawa, Nani, Valencia, Rooney and Young in. It's difficult.

See I don't really understand the thinking between moving Ozil wide. He's great in the am role and Di Maria is good for them out wide. Reckon they'd really end up too narrow if they went like that because Ronaldo isn't gonna stick wide and Benzema will play as the striker. Could understand if they wanted to do that for tough games like Barca I guess but that's only a handful of games a season.

He'd get plenty of games for us. He can play both the midfield roles we are currently employing, he can play in the hole and out wide. He has everything that we need. Physical, good in the tackle, fantastic on the ball and can carry it from end to end. He would be perfect for us.

The stupid thing about this thread now is Dembele was brilliant against us back in March when we last played Fulham at home and only now people are taking notice

He'd get plenty of games for us. He can play both the midfield roles we are currently employing, he can play in the hole and out wide. He has everything that we need. Physical, good in the tackle, fantastic on the ball and can carry it from end to end. He would be perfect for us.

No need for him out wide or in the hole, Kagawa and Rooney are infinitely better in the hole than Dembele, hence him being moved back to centre mid.

Agree he could play both our centre mid roles though, but were he to play the deeper lying Carrick one it would leave us more exposed, he's not in the same league defensively as Carrick.

No need for him out wide or in the hole, Kagawa and Rooney are infinitely better in the hole than Dembele, hence him being moved back to centre mid.

Agree he could play both our centre mid roles though, but were he to play the deeper lying Carrick one it would leave us more exposed, he's not in the same league defensively as Carrick.

Yeah, I know but there we some people thinking that he'd be on the bench for us a bit too often to be worth the money. I was just saying he is very capable across midfield and he would play. For the games against the more defensive teams he could play in Carrick's role as he ,may give something a bit special that might be required to break them down. Against the better teams, it would probably leave us open but he is better than Anderson and would definitely provide Cleverley/Scholes some competition and might even be a better option. With Scholes and Giggs retiring, and Anderson's injury problems he'd be worth every penny.

Indeed. You see him and you instantly think he would fit like a glove across the park. Even if people see Carrick+Cleverlay as their preferred starting combo, for 10-15M he could be our midfield/AM O'Shea for years to come.

Dembele-Carrick

Anderson-Cleverly

with Scholes and Giggs as our job-doers now and then. If we got him we'd seriously be a force in Europe not that we already aren't.

:(

He'd be amazing for us. Him and Carrick would give us great balance in the centre of the park.

Aye I'd presume this is actually the player fergie was referring to when he said "if a certain someone was available" he would make a move but I don't think there a hope in hell unless we meet the release clause which in my eyes actually isn't that bad when you think of what he could offer us long term that is of course if he manages to continue his progression and not regress.

Ah well let's just hope having him play like that makes Fergies think twice and say feck this let's try snatch em before the window shuts.

We supposedly threw in an offer of 5mil according to Jol I think it was. If that's the case I hope we are still in close touch with them. He's a must, thats value if ever I've seen it in this league. Just fecking offer the asking price and get em signed, sealed and delivered.