Memphis Depay | Corinthians player

Oooh,a new bandwagon.
Plays against a Germany team absolutely bereft of confidence,and with a ageing backline to boot,and now people want billy-big-balls Depay back.
Love this place.

You'd be right if it's the same people who wanted him gone, but there were a minority of United fans who didn't like how quickly we gave up on him. And United themselves must have doubted the move, given they added a buy-back clause. So this is far from a black-and-white situation.

Either he needs to focus on being a goal scorer or the best thing he can do is look at Firminho to forge a career as a no.9.

Zaha was probably the one we needed the buy-back clause with most. Memphis would be wonderful here if we didn't have Lukaku. Not sure where else he would thrive for us in the team.

Zaha was probably the one we needed the buy-back clause with most. Memphis would be wonderful here if we didn't have Lukaku. Not sure where else he would thrive for us in the team.
We've got 50% of the profit on Zaha which is better than the buy back clause that simply means we can match any bid made for Depay and the final decision is still rests on the player. On Zaha however, we can simply offer them 45-50 million and they'll accept it because it's better than accepting 80 million from any other team.

He was great last season. A shame that he hasnt been able to continue that form.

We've got 50% of the profit on Zaha which is better than the buy back clause that simply means we can match any bid made for Depay and the final decision is still rests on the player. On Zaha however, we can simply offer them 45-50 million and they'll accept it because it's better than accepting 80 million from any other team.
You mean first refusal?

He was always better as a 9, I remember LVG first tried him as a 9/10 with us but then got moved to the wing, where he struggled much more.

Good to see him playing well again.

GOAT. Always knew he had potential, we were too quick to sell him

He was always better as a 9, I remember LVG first tried him as a 9/10 with us but then got moved to the wing, where he struggled much more.

Good to see him playing well again.
1 goal in 12 games for Lyon this season. He'd have to have at least another 2 seasons of his last season form before we consider him for a club like United. Hazard had to be ligue 1 player of the year 2 years running and best young player/team of the season for 3 seasons straight. there are major doubts over Memphis and one needs to be certain he can make the adjustment like other players from ligue 1 has. Hopefully he actually has a productive season this year as opposed to this thread getting bumped every time he does something in a game.

I'm quite happy he's doing well for our Dutch national team, we lack any other decent strikers at the moment and he seems focussed and motivated when he's playing for the national team. But even then I don't see how the club is missing out on him in any way. After a good run last season he's struggling to make an impact again at club level. Even if in a few years he does turn out to be a consistent top striker or something, he would've never got there by staying at Man Utd.

You mean first refusal?
Yes first refusal simply means you can match the accepted bid by Lyon which means nothing because you can always match any bid for any player anyway. Can anyone else explain the first refusal clause to me because it makes no sense IMO.

Some people in here, want him back. Short memories, perhaps?

I'd take him on a loan, with an option to buy, because I am confident he will be just as bad for us now, as he was 2 years ago.
A player who does great against low quality defenders (he played very well for us against lower skilled opposition, Bruge, Mitjyland), but put him up against a seasoned EPL defence and he'll do nothing.

The rule of the caf seems to be:
1, if the player plays for another club, say, "he's great...we want him!"
2, if the player plays for our club, say, "he sucks, he is shite and should be sold as quickly as possible."
3, rules 1 and 2, may apply to exactly the same player.
4, rules 1 and 2 also apply to managers.

Yes first refusal simply means you can match the accepted bid by Lyon which means nothing because you can always match any bid for any player anyway. Can anyone else explain the first refusal clause to me because it makes no sense IMO.

I think you nailed it.
Though I think a buy back clause usually has some form of fee attached to it. Basically, it makes it easier for us to buy a player if such a clause in his contract.

I think someone needs to clear this up.

Normally there is no requirement whatsoever to inform other clubs if a bid has been accepted, or how high the accepted bid is. So how are they going to know to match it. Selling clubs want clubs to outbid each other, drive the price up and try get as much as they can. A first refusal clause wouldn't drive the price up, and would make sure a club wouldn't miss out. Also, it doesn't seem uncommon that players come to an agreement with clubs before the clubs do, usually clubs allow players to talk once negotations between clubs have started. And then once the selling club accepts the bid, it's a done deal. Don't want to come in too late.

Last edited:
Some people in here, want him back. Short memories, perhaps?

I'd take him on a loan, with an option to buy, because I am confident he will be just as bad for us now, as he was 2 years ago.
A player who does great against low quality defenders (he played very well for us against lower skilled opposition, Bruge, Mitjyland), but put him up against a seasoned EPL defence and he'll do nothing.

The rule of the caf seems to be:
1, if the player plays for another club, say, "he's great...we want him!"
2, if the player plays for our club, say, "he sucks, he is shite and should be sold as quickly as possible."
3, rules 1 and 2, may apply to exactly the same player.
4, rules 1 and 2 also apply to managers.

He played well against City this season. Not saying he is good enough, but its clear with young players they shouldn't be judged so quickly.

His conversion to striker is interesting, but I don't see why people are talking about him coming back here, I don't think he's improved to that extent.

Zaha any day of the week for me and I love watching Memphis at his best. PL proven, knows the club better, imho also far more tactically adept.

Zaha is like a poor man's Nani. That's probably being kind still. We should be aiming higher than both Memphis and Zaha.

Oh I wasn't arguing we should get either - just responding to the man's question. I'd still take one of them back as an off the bench option tho.
Zaha would immediately become our best (and only really) winger.

Oh I wasn't arguing we should get either - just responding to the man's question. I'd still take one of them back as an off the bench option tho.

That's fair enough. We should've gone for F. Anderson in the summer.

Im starting to rate him slightly now. He was very good today against good opposition. Evenhis decision making was mostly good.

I refuse to believe he will be a topclass player, but well, I've been wrong before.

I bumped this thread after he played vs Peru saying that’s yet another bad talent evaluation by Jose Felix and I got laughed at.. its easy to praise him now

Zaha would immediately become our best (and only really) winger.
Except he's not excelling as a winger at CP, he's playing almost as a striker. And so is Memphis.
A lot of people like to rewrite the past, we've heard it about these 2, Rafael, Evans, Hernandez and Welbeck. Not saying we have a better set of players now but there's a reason these guys were sold or allowed to leave.

Im starting to rate him slightly now. He was very good today against good opposition. Evenhis decision making was mostly good.

I refuse to believe he will be a topclass player, but well, I've been wrong before.
His problem is still the same as the reason he got the boot from United, his attitude. A couple of times that match he was yelling at his team mates and he sometimes went for the complicated route instead of making a simple pass to a team mate.

He's obviously talented and could have become a good United player had he taken some advice from his elders.

His problem is still the same as the reason he got the boot from United, his attitude. A couple of times that match he was yelling at his team mates and he sometimes went for the complicated route instead of making a simple pass to a team mate.

He's obviously talented and could have become a good United player had he taken some advice from his elders.
It's a bit of a double edge for him. When he'splaying well you can see his confidence rice and his play improves, but at some point it goes overboard and he starts trying ridiculous things. Some of em work,but it's not always the right option. It kind of goes to his head.

I do think he is slightly improving mentally, but I doubt he'l ever be a tactically smart player. Just watch his interviews, he'ssimply not the sharpest tool in the shed. (Speaking of which, I have no idea if that's a saying in English)

It's a bit of a double edge for him. When he'splaying well you can see his confidence rice and his play improves, but at some point it goes overboard and he starts trying ridiculous things. Some of em work,but it's not always the right option. It kind of goes to his head.

I do think he is slightly improving mentally, but I doubt he'l ever be a tactically smart player. Just watch his interviews, he'ssimply not the sharpest tool in the shed. (Speaking of which, I have no idea if that's a saying in English)
Smash Mouth - All Star

Hate to be that guy but I said he should be a striker back in his year with us. LVG played him there once and he scored.

He can't beat players from wide but can shoot well and is quick and has good scoring instincts.

Tbh there's no point in bringing him back - we practically have 4 strikers already. More than we know what to do with.

We all agree we should aim higher so no we should not bring him back. But he's still a fun player to watch. There's always something happening when he's on the ball. He'll be looking for a clever throughball, a moment to show some piece of skill or a chance to strike from distance. He's a good dribbler since he's too strong to push off the ball. For a forward goals are life though, he can't go weeks without being productive.

Last edited:
Tbh there's no point in bringing him back - we practically have 4 strikers already. More than we know what to do with.

Although, he seems to be excelling at acting as the target man and bringing others into play, exactly where Lukaku fails for us currently.
Even saw some stats suggesting he's one of the most creative attackers in world football right now.

Don't know if it's enough for me to actually want him back just yet though. For such a successful footballer he seems to struggle with basic coordination and his balance is so strange at times. Don't know if he has the talent to perform consistantly at the level we require. I also think that Martial would make a better target man than Lukaku, but then we'd need to add another consistent goal-threat next to him.

We should have 8 strikers I think so if one is performing badly We can replace him with another one. If They're all performing badly then maybe add more strikers, 15 sounds good.

Memphis Depay against Angers:

55th minute - Comes off the bench
65th minute - Assists the first
87th minute - Scores the second

Man of the Match.
(from bet365 twitter)

He was unhappy at being on the bench and said he deserves to be starting every game. The manager gave an alternative view:

B.Genesio to the Lyon squad before training: "Memphis, I'm sorry for 3 things. I am sorry for all your late arrivals to training. I am sorry for you wearing shoes from your sponsor rather than the club, knowing it's forbidden. I'm sorry for your lack of involvement during warmup"

And to think people want this child back at our club.