Memphis Depay | Corinthians player

He wasn't ready when he came to United, Van Gaal said himself he mainly signed him so early Liverpool and PSG were after him.
We'll probably never know how he'd have done if he signed for us a couple of years later.

Don't want to poop on anyones party parade, but Guincamp. I could score against Guincamp.

Still, chuffed for him. Go Memphis.

Indeed.
Even when we played against lesser teams, he would easily dominate them.
This problem came when he was up against EPL defenders. He just couldn't handle them.
I think Holland/France is the kind of level that he should play at. He can be a superstar in those types of leagues, earn a great wage and perhaps even win a few trophies.

i don't know about you... but rather have Mbappe and Neymar
Mbappe: yes, definitely. Neymar: not really. He's a too much of a diva for my liking, has an inflated ego, tends to go into hiding when things get harder - and I would loathe to have to cheer for someone with the pathetic behaviour he has showcased time and time again (with the rolling and whatnot).

Memphis Depay has been involved in 28 goals in Ligue 1 in 2018 (16 goals, 12 assists), more than any other player.

Why not Buy him back in January to play at the central role as Sanchez ( rumours ) set to go out of the club? People will say French league standard is low but this is the same league where people says Neymar, Mbappe etc are great. The same league from Lacazette came to Arsenal. None of them had these type of numbers. Depay played brilliantly against City in the UCL.

Neymar: not really. He's a too much of a diva for my liking, has an inflated ego, tends to go into hiding when things get harder - and I would loathe to have to cheer for someone with the pathetic behaviour he has showcased time and time again (with the rolling and whatnot).
You would rather have Memphis Depay (most of the criticism mentioned also apply to him) over Neymar?

Apparently playing well but with an appalling attitude (according to the article on The Guardian today.) The guy just doesn't seem to get it - seems like the last thing this club needs.

I really admire him as a footballer but I can't spend more than 2 minutes looking at his social media without cringing. He's extremely narcissistic with an insanely huge ego and it doesn't come across like Ronaldo's. I don't think he will ever reach his 100% potential.

Memphis Depay has been involved in 28 goals in Ligue 1 in 2018 (16 goals, 12 assists), more than any other player.

Why not Buy him back in January to play at the central role as Sanchez ( rumours ) set to go out of the club? People will say French league standard is low but this is the same league where people says Neymar, Mbappe etc are great. The same league from Lacazette came to Arsenal. None of them had these type of numbers. Depay played brilliantly against City in the UCL.

I think it's a good idea in principle and we do have some sort of buy back / first option clause if I recall correctly.

But United have had major issues integrating quality attackers into the side for years now - I can't think of one unqualified success since Ferguson retired.

Edit: Probably only Zlatan.

That free kick is crazy.

I remember watching his free kick compilation from PSV and they were great. Then he took a few here and it looked like Premier League footballs were filled with sand in comparison.

Does he play centrally for Lyon? If he still plays wide left, then there'd be little point bringing him back, since we already have 3 players who all seem to want to play there. That said, I doubt we're even looking to bring him back.

We need

Depay Back

Someone really needs to photoshop Memphis onto the James Brown album here.

He hasnt really shows that he is top tier player yet. Based on stats, probably yes but rumours of lack of commitment in training is not welcomed to already regressing state of the club at the moment.

You would rather have Memphis Depay (most of the criticism mentioned also apply to him) over Neymar?
I didn't say that I'd want either. And to say that most of my criticism towards Neymar also applies to Memphis is a bit daft, to be honest, like for instance:
- I don't see Memphis rolling around multiple times per game like bambi on ice (I don't even recall a single dive from him?);
- He isn't under scrutiny for tax evasion and dodgy transfer deals;
- Memphis doesn't have a pattern of "injuries" every year for four years in a row, around a relative's birthday;

So basically, we are supposed to dislike Memphis for his cowboy hat, his big car and his confidence? I'm not saying he's a world beater, but he's the most productive player this calender year (after Ronaldo, Messi and Suarez), for a "smaller" team, where's not even playing every game. That's not a bad basis.

As a french fan who watches him often, the first thing I want to say is : Don't be fooled by his statistics and his highlights.

He is still the same player when he first came to United. He's a player with great moments where he looks top draw (against lesser opposition) but 80% of the time, he can barely make a 5 yards pass. His body langage is very negative and his attitude towards his team mates is also criticized a lot.

To his credit, when he's on, he's on. He won Olympique Lyonnais a lot of points on his own last season. But the best player on the team is by far Nabil Fekir.

His stats aren't even that great though are they?

Nah his stats are pretty good, so far he has 6 goals and 5 assists in all comps. But he doesn't play on the left wing anymore. His best position is as a striker. His coach realised that he's just not that good as a winger.

If we were to bring him back, there would be no point imo. Martial is better than him in almost every category except the set pieces.

He's like a new player compared to the one we saw at United. Quicker feet, smarter, winning more duels.

Nah his stats are pretty good, so far he has 6 goals and 5 assists in all comps. But he doesn't play on the left wing anymore. His best position is as a striker. His coach realised that he's just not that good as a winger.

If we were to bring him back, there would be no point imo. Martial is better than him in almost every category except the set pieces.

Thing is: We would bring him back as a striker to compete with Lukaku. He's better at everything pretty much.. Lukaku might be big but he is absolute crap at both holding the ball and heading of which both Memphis is better at along with being a better allround player.

Yeah the more and more I watch him recently the more I think he’d be worth taking back if we really do have a clause. Sure I read 36mil. I wouldn’t be surprised if you could sell him for more than that in today’s market.

Jesus as I type this he has just scored a ballsy penalty. Panaca or whatever it’s called.

Play him as a striker, his link up and picking of passes has looked good this evening.

He’s been outstanding tonight. He really seems to have found his feet since he left United. I’m happy for him, he’s a very likeable player.

Confidence is everything. He had no confidence before but he got his swagger back now. When you're riding that wave everything you touch turns to gold.
He would do well for club like Liverpool I think.

Starting to get more open to rebuying him as a striker instead of our useless lump. He won't be any worse.

Very impressive performance from Depay again tonight. He oozes class and he is nigh-on unplayable when he has that air of arrogance about him. I can’t see him staying at Lyon for too much longer. His attitude appears to have turned a total 180° and he is blossoming into an excellent central attacker.

Very impressive performance from Depay again tonight. He oozes class and he is nigh-on unplayable when he has that air of arrogance about him. I can’t see him staying at Lyon for too much longer. His attitude appears to have turned a total 180° and he is blossoming into an excellent central attacker.
But is this true though? A short while ago Lyon's coach apparently blasted him in the dressing room for his 'unprofessional' behaviour.

I am not trying to do an "I told you so".... but from the moment he put on a United shirt I said he isn't a winger (for United anyway) and needs to be played centrally to get anything out of him. He has a strikers instinct and a hell of a shot, just not the all round dribbling and tracking ability to play out wide.

Not surprised he is looking a good player when played through the middle.

Saying that though he still has a face I want to punch and was a useless prima donna when he was here. And for those reasons only I am glad we got rid.