Memphis Depay | Corinthians player

He looks reborn as a number 9. A real handful with his strength, speed and skill and his hold up play for the team. Work rate was immense.

Playing well but still not the right fit for us. He's excelling because he's playing as a forward, rather than a wide player who's expected to dribble. Only way he'd play for us if we'd bench Lukaku.

Solid player but he was playing as a striker not a winger and as a striker he wont ever be United quality. The same way Lukaku most likely wont. Probably wont fix the position for a long time seeing as we have areas like CB, RW and DM to improve at the moment. And the fact our manager needs a player over 6'2 to play football limits options even more. Really believed Icardi is the guy we need.

As I said before, he seems too heavy and cumbersome to be a winger. Good with his back to goal, though, which means putting him up top makes sense, and we're starting to see that now.

Didn't watch the game, but judging on the comments, he had a good game.

Good player having a positive form at the moment, learning his trade at probably perfect place for him at the moment. Always thought he looks like a striker to me when I first saw him, and perhaps Martial as front two against Norwich away (I think?).

I remember when he first came to United, I thought we'd rely on him too heavily, he wouldn't manage with it and end up leaving which was pretty much the case.
I'm glad to see him doing well now, hopefully he either keeps it going with Lyon and they win things or he moves to a bigger club and has success.
Ps he seems miles better as a forward, he can beat a man but he's just too slow to play on the wing.

I'm glad he had a good game but he's got 1 goal in 11 games for Lyon this season. Call me a skeptic.

He looks reborn as a number 9. A real handful with his strength, speed and skill and his hold up play for the team. Work rate was immense.

He's in France. His problem here was that every centre back in the Premier League was as fast as him and as strong as him. Take those attributes away and you're not left with much.

He's in France. His problem here was that every centre back in the Premier League was as fast as him and as strong as him. Take those attributes away and you're not left with much.
I doubt it's about Speed or Strength. The French defenders aren't snails and can easily match the Premier league ones in terms of pace. It is just that the EPL quality is overall higher and he struggled to adjust - to a new environment and much bigger expectations too.

It wasn't anything to do with PL defenders being stronger than him. It was just the environment and pressure was a big step in that moment of his career. The team was struggling a lot and it was a very difficult season all round.

I don’t think people should be as final as they are being as to his potential. He seems to be learning a new role and taking it on with the right attitude. He’s still young, so let’s see how he goes next couple of years.

He’s got enough of a challenge on his hands with Lyon also signing Moussa Dembele to establish himself. If that’s a battle he wins, then there could be something there.

It wasn't anything to do with PL defenders being stronger than him. It was just the environment and pressure was a big step in that moment of his career. The team was struggling a lot and it was a very difficult season all round.

Seems to be some revisionism here. He wasn't simply struggling with the pressure. He just wasn't good enough, nowhere near, when he went up against a proper defence.

When he left plenty of people said he would be fine in France with the extra space he would get.

Isn't he a bit shit this year at France?

Caught him against PSG as well, one good movement when he hit the post from a lob, but otherwise fairly anonymous.

Oooh,a new bandwagon.
Plays against a Germany team absolutely bereft of confidence,and with a ageing backline to boot,and now people want billy-big-balls Depay back.
Love this place.

Isn't he a bit shit this year at France?

Caught him against PSG as well, one good movement when he hit the post from a lob, but otherwise fairly anonymous.
He blows hot and cold. Many people watch his highlights or stats and think he is tearing things up. I would say he is developping normally, nothing extraordinary

After 1 match so much excitement :lol:
He's still the same Memphis when he left ffs some of you are so fickle :rolleyes:

He admitted himself that the defenders being higher quality made it difficult for him to adjust

Where is he playing for Lyon and Netherlands regularly ? Centrally or on width ?

Depay has always been better in a central role. That said, advocating to buy him back to play him there is silly when we already have Sanchez who is similar but even better and is not being played there

Where is he playing for Lyon and Netherlands regularly ? Centrally or on width ?
Centrally.

Honestly, he had a good game, but I still dont really rate him. His decision making is still mostly shite.

Centrally.

Honestly, he had a good game, but I still dont really rate him. His decision making is still mostly shite.

Then it's not even worth the discussion of bringing him back. Last we need is another guy who operates centrally, and in congested league as Premier League he won't find much space to play in central position either anyway.

If he could have just learned how to play as a right winger. Shame.

His few good games were against shittest teams we faced. Next decent team he faced he turned into shit, even in those moments when his form was good he would turn to shit against decent opponents. It was obvious he is not good enough at that moment, and I doubt he'll ever be a player for a top club.

I doubt it's about Speed or Strength. The French defenders aren't snails and can easily match the Premier league ones in terms of pace. It is just that the EPL quality is overall higher and he struggled to adjust - to a new environment and much bigger expectations too.
Exactly. He was also much younger, less experienced and the jump (and expectations) at Utd was too much.
Not everyone develops at the same pace