Memphis Depay | Corinthians player

Will be interesting to see his performance in CL and he is in very good group too. Shakhtar, Hoffenheim, City is very good group and one of toughest too.

His movement and finishing is good. Always thought that he would be better through the middle, closer to goal.

I dont like him... his interviews after the match and his whole personality make me cringe every time i see him. I could live with (read : ignore) if he was a top player but he is just a decent player who thinks he is a world class player. I became a United fan because of the Dutch players but i was happy when Memphis got booted out :lol:

He already stated he wants to leave Lyon for a bigger club and reach the top. He wont. He just isnt quick, strong and smart enough for that. Also i dont think he has the mental part to play for a big club. People/press say something he doesnt like and he goes crazy again. The whole thing with the fingers in his ears while cheering is also something ridiculous.. because the press once said something he didnt like.

PSV currently has the new Memphis with Bergwijn and i hope he will a much better player.

Rant over. :D

I think he has been written off a top player way too early. He didn't come to United as the finished article and certaintly didn't leave with his reputation enhanced but it may have benefitted him. He obviously tore the Dutch league up before moving to United and he was full of confidence. The United spell probably made him realise how tough it is to be at the top level and the attitude/mentality it takes. He has progressed at Lyon, there's no doubt about that, he's added more to his game and become more consistent.

If he didn't have that spell at United, most of the posters on here would be clamouring for United to sign him. I definitely think he can play and succeed at a top club, he's still young (22/23?) and he has shown an ability to score goals.

I've read somewhere that Lyons manager took him out of the team the first season because of his attitude on and off the pitch, and let him be on the bench. After a while his attitude got better and he got some more starts where he started playing better. This helped him a lot with his confidence but also with how he played.

He isn't as arrogant as he was when he was playing for United and I do think he has gotten better as a player. Wether he's at a United level I'm not sure, but he has certainly matured a lot more.
He might develop into a good striker, but not really the level United strive for.

I never really understood why we played him on the outside when all his best performances for the Dutch national team under LvG came centrally in a partnership up top in a 3-5-2. He seems much more comfortable playing through the middle.

Still not sure hed cut it at the top level but happy for him he's thriving in France.

I think he has been written off a top player way too early. He didn't come to United as the finished article and certaintly didn't leave with his reputation enhanced but it may have benefitted him. He obviously tore the Dutch league up before moving to United and he was full of confidence. The United spell probably made him realise how tough it is to be at the top level and the attitude/mentality it takes. He has progressed at Lyon, there's no doubt about that, he's added more to his game and become more consistent.

If he didn't have that spell at United, most of the posters on here would be clamouring for United to sign him. I definitely think he can play and succeed at a top club, he's still young (22/23?) and he has shown an ability to score goals.
But he did have that spell and it highlighted the difference playing for PSV in Holland, a big british club and in France for Lyon. Chalk and Cheese. Fekir didnt even look good when I saw him live (small sample size). If Depay became a top player it would be a miracle but obviously if he keeps hitting the back of the net and does it higher up, he'll get his accolades

But he did have that spell and it highlighted the difference playing for PSV in Holland, a big british club and in France for Lyon. Chalk and Cheese. Fekir didnt even look good when I saw him live (small sample size). If Depay became a top player it would be a miracle but obviously if he keeps hitting the back of the net and does it higher up, he'll get his accolades

It didn't highlight anything. He failed here once due to a mix of a bad personality & playing in a position that didn't get the best out of him it seems. He seems a different player playing as a striker than playing a LW - he struggled playing as a LW for lyon too just to bypass the question that it's purely an easy league - he struggled playing LW at lyon at United yet did decent as PSV - so the Netherlands league is your only true point

There's this Ronaldo fella that did pretty well, if my memory serves me well.

Other than that, not many spring to mind, no. Tevez perhaps? We didn't sell him, but he did perform well after he lef.t

OP said post Fergie, both of them left whilst he was still here.

Did anyone see the Holland game?
Frankie De Jong came on in the second half and completely changed the game. It was one on the most impressive intrnational debuts I have ever seen. This guy will be one if the best midfielders in the wo

I never really understood why we played him on the outside when all his best performances for the Dutch national team under LvG came centrally in a partnership up top in a 3-5-2. He seems much more comfortable playing through the middle.
Still not sure hed cut it at the top level but happy for him he's thriving in France.
He played on the left for Psv, but more as a Ronaldo type winger than one sticking on the side line. Even in our league hos dribbling wasnt that special honestly. He was simply strong enough to bully defenders, which he couldnt in the prem.

The role he had yesterday is a better fit since he can use his physique to shield the ball and get in a good position, but again, Peru is no France so sunday we will see where he's at when playing elite defenders.

There's this Ronaldo fella that did pretty well, if my memory serves me well.

Other than that, not many spring to mind, no. Tevez perhaps? We didn't sell him, but he did perform well after he lef.t
Those sales where during Fergie era. They performed really well here and left when they were still very good after having great seasons with us. I guess you misunderstood what I meant, look at the post I quoted.

Frankie De Jong came on in the second half and completely changed the game. It was one on the most impressive intrnational debuts I have ever seen. This guy will be one if the best midfielders in the wo
He's such a likable kid as well, really hope he wil fulfil his potential. He carries himself like Cruijff honestly. Majestic.

He's such a likable kid as well, really hope he wil fulfil his potential. He carries himself like Cruijff honestly. Majestic.
I just hope Koeman starts him against France. He is so much better than Strootman

It didn't highlight anything. He failed here once due to a mix of a bad personality & playing in a position that didn't get the best out of him it seems. He seems a different player playing as a striker than playing a LW - he struggled playing as a LW for lyon too just to bypass the question that it's purely an easy league - he struggled playing LW at lyon at United yet did decent as PSV - so the Netherlands league is your only true point
sure it did. His lack of pace, strength, dribbling ability, intelligence and that he is slow off the mark in his actions. He has scored most of his 74 career goals as a LW. He just isn't that good and certainly not for the EPL. other average players were lighting it up in Ligue 1 last season, players who I would not want anywhere nearUnited

Heard he's a special talent. Barcelona have been after him for awhile.

We should try to get him atleast.

Yep. We should seriously try to sign him to replace matic in a couple years, too good to not try for.

Missed a sitter in the second half. Can't remember who gave the pass. It was glorious.

He was always quite the talent and has all the attributes to be a top talents its clear to see. United just were not the right move for him he will be back in the EPL for sure. Lyon and him were a great match.

He was always quite the talent and has all the attributes to be a top talents its clear to see. United just were not the right move for him he will be back in the EPL for sure. Lyon and him were a great match.

He is too deep believing in his own hype and destiny to be the next great number 7. Moving to Lyon changed him a bit I guess.

He is too deep believing in his own hype and destiny to be the next great number 7. Moving to Lyon changed him a bit I guess.
Also improved him massively as a player, lost some of that bulk too. looks very quick now

Depay have sealed SS or Central role at Lyon and involved in all the attacking moves they create.

How many of you want see him at United to Challenge Lukaku central role as Martial and Rashford don't have able to satisfied Mourinho demands as a central striker?

His stats till now.

Games:59
Goals:25
Assist:24

Think the key is that he plays as a striker now. Would still struggle on the wing imo.