Memphis Depay | Corinthians player

No Utd fan should ever miss Depay. Clearly among the most overrated players in history who could only do well in farmers leagues. No wonder the Dutch national team is in a bad state.

He's a funny player, Depay. His bottom level is atrocious - and I imagine he's still the same in France - but he has this inherent gift for great movement and goalscoring.

He'll score twenty plus goals again this season. All sorts of great strikes and finishes from positions he does really well to get into in the first place. It's a genuine skill that some players (looking at Martial, actually) really struggle with. His problem is that I imagine he'll do all of this while giving the ball away and playing like a bit of a duffer.

I can see him moving to a bigger league again, certainly. But his all round play will frustrate at another big club.

Depay's form is purely due to him playing in a position that he regards as his best position - a central forward.

Playing on the wide & as a winger he has to spend way too much on the ball - making him way to easy to tackle.

This is the same thing that happens with martial & rashfprd - both strikers who are played as winger due to a purely outdated view of football by managers - when they do get played as strikers; they are played as target men & not in formations such as partnerships that would get the best out of strikers like depay, martial & rashfprd.

Sure Memphis might be playing at a lower league - that does not mean we have managed him to the best of our capabilities.

If martial is likewise leaving as a winger from united - he will pull a happy, successful face later on as a striker that is for sure.

Scored today for Holland. Seems like another Mou misevaluation.

He was always great on playing shite teams. Did brilliantly against Brugge, PSV and that Denish team we met in Europe League but was always crap when it came to Premier League games. LVG lost hope in him as the season went on and he wasn't wrong.

Good player but not suited for English football.

He's a funny player, Depay. His bottom level is atrocious - and I imagine he's still the same in France - but he has this inherent gift for great movement and goalscoring.

He'll score twenty plus goals again this season. All sorts of great strikes and finishes from positions he does really well to get into in the first place. It's a genuine skill that some players (looking at Martial, actually) really struggle with. His problem is that I imagine he'll do all of this while giving the ball away and playing like a bit of a duffer.

I can see him moving to a bigger league again, certainly. But his all round play will frustrate at another big club.

He scored 15 last season and 10 before that but Im in agreement with your assessment

Last edited:
He's a good finisher, has good movement. But he's not on the level of someone like Mane or Sterling who are good with the ball at their feet too. He just doesn't have that dribbling ability they do.

The french league is his level, frankly. If he came to the PL, he'd struggle again out wide.

Reckon he'll go to Italy next at one of the teams trying to challenge Juve like Inter or Roma. Reckon he'd do well up front for them to be fair.

He is obviously talented but in my book he is not a United player. Plenty of players in our squad aren’t... Martial, Darmian and Herrera come to mind. Those 3 would all do well at the likes of Lyon, Inter and Sevilla. But to be a Manchester United player, you need more than just ability. You need the drive and mentality, the never say die attitude. Keane had it. Giggs and Scholes and Neville had it. And it’s not just exclusive to the British players either... guys like Evra, Vidic, VDS, Cantona, Ruud, Chicha... those guys were proper United players who bled for the crest. Look at their mentality and body language compared to the likes of Martial and Depay when he was here. It’s night and day.

Ultimately you always have a feeling when somebody doesn’t fit the club. I felt it with almost all of LVG’s signings... Mkhitaryan, Depay, Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger were obvious ones for me. I’m not convinced about Fred and Lindelöf either. But that’s another story.

My point is, he would be good for a team like Spurs or AC Milan. But like I said, you need to be a special kind of player to succeed at Manchester United.

He is obviously talented but in my book he is not a United player. Plenty of players in our squad aren’t... Martial, Darmian and Herrera come to mind. Those 3 would all do well at the likes of Lyon, Inter and Sevilla. But to be a Manchester United player, you need more than just ability. You need the drive and mentality, the never say die attitude. Keane had it. Giggs and Scholes and Neville had it. And it’s not just exclusive to the British players either... guys like Evra, Vidic, VDS, Cantona, Ruud, Chicha... those guys were proper United players who bled for the crest. Look at their mentality and body language compared to the likes of Martial and Depay when he was here. It’s night and day.

Ultimately you always have a feeling when somebody doesn’t fit the club. I felt it with almost all of LVG’s signings... Mkhitaryan, Depay, Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger were obvious ones for me. I’m not convinced about Fred and Lindelöf either. But that’s another story.

My point is, he would be good for a team like Spurs or AC Milan. But like I said, you need to be a special kind of player to succeed at Manchester United.
Most signings in the post Fergie era have failed to live up to expectations including those we thought are United players like Sanchez. For me there is one constant. Players are performing better away from us. Whether that's before they join us, after they leave us (not all players) or away with their national teams. Martial and Depay arrived at the same time. Depay only lasted one year and left. Martial was our best player probably. Yet 3 years later you could say it's Depay who's actually progressing and realising his potential slowly even if it wasn't as high as Martial's. Why is that?

Scored two goals while playing as no 9, very good movement and control.

Last edited by a moderator:
He was honestly great yesterday, not because of his goals, but his decision making was actually good yesterday. There might be hope for him yet. He's obviously bot a winger anymore, that's for sure

Most signings in the post Fergie era have failed to live up to expectations including those we thought are United players like Sanchez. For me there is one constant. Players are performing better away from us. Whether that's before they join us, after they leave us (not all players) or away with their national teams. Martial and Depay arrived at the same time. Depay only lasted one year and left. Martial was our best player probably. Yet 3 years later you could say it's Depay who's actually progressing and realising his potential slowly even if it wasn't as high as Martial's. Why is that?

Mental strength?

Depay does not have a Sanchez to compete with?

Which players have left us now and are thriving at their new clubs? And don't say Depay, I still think he's shite. Last ones I can think of is Pogba and Di Maria, and we both know why they left.

Name 1 player who’s left to join a similar level team and has actually improved? Dropping to a lesser league or team will obviously make a player look better, or as the slop we offloaded to Everton actually got worse or performed the same.

Name 1 player who’s left to join a similar level team and has actually improved? Dropping to a lesser league or team will obviously make a player look better, or as the slop we offloaded to Everton actually got worse or performed the same.

Or players who had great seasons before joining us failed to produce the same at ManUtd. We have to consider before joining ManUtd too and we are not talking about some 5-10 years ago, just a year before they joined ManUtd.

You have to name one player who's left to join a similar level team.

Because he moved to France where it us easier and the likes of Balotelli, Falcao and Thavin can shine. If Martial rejoined Monaco he would outscore Depay as he is far more talented. Depay is not good enough for elite EPL teams period.

You have to name one player who's left to join a similar level team.

There's this Ronaldo fella that did pretty well, if my memory serves me well.

Other than that, not many spring to mind, no. Tevez perhaps? We didn't sell him, but he did perform well after he lef.t

How many times did we play him in the hole? Rooney role is where he's most suited.

According to what? To having played as a left winger in for PSV or as a striker for Lyon?

It's always the same type of shite, Herrera can play and perform okay as a CB if needed, you move one of the underperforming attacking players to an opposite wing and they lose all of their ability, even if they've shown nothing or very little of it even in their previous 'preferred' position.

He was honestly great yesterday, not because of his goals, but his decision making was actually good yesterday. There might be hope for him yet. He's obviously bot a winger anymore, that's for sure

His short passing used to be horrendous I was pleasantly surprised to see he wasn't giving away balls like he used to

Improved in comparison to his time at United or the kinda player he was before United ?

Great Thanks - whilst some people are writing him off; I think he will become a great support striker.

He himself said that he is a striker so it is no surprise to me that he struggled at a LW - he looked lost at how to play as a winger spending too much time on the ball. Every time I see him for lyon he is merely in the right place at the right time & striking the ball.

Good to see.There are players that we currently use that are being played in a way that they are not used to & it ultimately makes their job harder.

I've read somewhere that Lyons manager took him out of the team the first season because of his attitude on and off the pitch, and let him be on the bench. After a while his attitude got better and he got some more starts where he started playing better. This helped him a lot with his confidence but also with how he played.

He isn't as arrogant as he was when he was playing for United and I do think he has gotten better as a player. Wether he's at a United level I'm not sure, but he has certainly matured a lot more.

I've read somewhere that Lyons manager took him out of the team the first season because of his attitude on and off the pitch, and let him be on the bench. After a while his attitude got better and he got some more starts where he started playing better. This helped him a lot with his confidence but also with how he played.
Sounds nice but he was more or less a starter right away.