Memphis Depay | Corinthians player

We have had 3-4 wingers in the last few years who have had a lot of potential and claims they could become top class but have left. Depay, Zaha, Januzaj and possibly Pereira in the future if he counts as a winger and maybe Martial if he leaves.

For me, these all would have been given a proper chance under Fergie and under different circumstances would have made it here. Zaha was signed by Fergie, was a raw talent with not much end products, thes sort of players need to be handled carefully and given minutes at the right time. He looks a different player at Palace now, even from his first stint there, he has added much more end product to his game, dribbles in the right areas, moves off the ball much better and can link the player. I feel he could definitely step up to a top club and succeed. Same with Depay, he looked very talented at PSV and in stints here, but his inconsistency cost him, when he was off his game he was very bad. Januzaj was the only highlight of the Moyes season, he looked terrific at times, could find good passes and his dribbling was excellent. LvG came in and didn't fancy him and a few poor loans and that was the end of his United career really.

You could say that about every failed player.

We have had 3-4 wingers in the last few years who have had a lot of potential and claims they could become top class but have left. Depay, Zaha, Januzaj and possibly Pereira in the future if he counts as a winger and maybe Martial if he leaves.

For me, these all would have been given a proper chance under Fergie and under different circumstances would have made it here. Zaha was signed by Fergie, was a raw talent with not much end products, thes sort of players need to be handled carefully and given minutes at the right time. He looks a different player at Palace now, even from his first stint there, he has added much more end product to his game, dribbles in the right areas, moves off the ball much better and can link the player. I feel he could definitely step up to a top club and succeed. Same with Depay, he looked very talented at PSV and in stints here, but his inconsistency cost him, when he was off his game he was very bad. Januzaj was the only highlight of the Moyes season, he looked terrific at times, could find good passes and his dribbling was excellent. LvG came in and didn't fancy him and a few poor loans and that was the end of his United career really.

I think Zaha would have been a very good player for SAF, but Depay, nah, SAF wouldn't have even though of him. He's just not suited for premier league that's all.

You could say that about every failed player.

You can yes. But these players are signed for a reason, and most likely scouted heavily and recommendations made from others. Circumstances and decisions can make or break a players' career. An extreme example but if Ronaldo had went Liverpool instead of United, his career trajectory might not have been the same. If De Gea had signed for United just as SAF was leaving, he probably would have been sold at the end of season and might not have had the career he has.

I just feel with these type of 'confidence' wingers who have massive potential, they need first team football and the right environment to succeed.

Good assist, moving to central role have helped Memphis

Last edited by a moderator:
This season he looks leaner, faster and he makes great off the ball movements, even scoring a few headers. He is playing with confidence.

There was always going to be an adjustment period moving to a new league and Memphis is not an creative midfielder at all but an attacker.

"At PSV, I first played as a centre-forward, then I was made to go out on the left when I got into the first team."
When Van Gaal signed him, Memphis said "I am a Striker" and yet still to this day i don't understand why he didn't play him there apart from Watford.

This was after binning all our strikers bar Rooney who was more effective in the hole playing off the main striker as he liked to drop deep to get on the ball more.

Memphis would have had much more chances of playing as a striker here in LVG's third year than he would have before since we ended the season in a 433 with Rashford & Lingard just breaking through. The most logical step for LVG would have been to change back to 352 and get Rashford, martial, Memphis as forwards playing in partnerships with Lingard playing behind them :

Lingard - Rashford - martial/Memphis
Season 2
To
Season 3
Lingard
Martial/Rashford - Martial/memphis

Defensively we also ended up with wingbacks instead of fullbacks & a deep lying CDM/CB next to smalling which would all have worked better in a back 5.

Still to this day though Jose's best game for me is the 352 vs Chelsea; I wish we get to see that more.

His positioning and off the ball movement seems quite good honestly. Perhaps there is some hope for Memphis in a central role. He’s no RVN or RVP, but hell we currently have Wout Weghorst and Luuk de Jong :lol:

5th or 6th MotM in the last 7 games playing central, not had a bad game yet in that role.

He has developed better than Martial and Rashford since he left. And Martial was the much better player in that 1st season. And now he can't get a look in. Amazing how things quickly change.

He has developed better than Martial and Rashford since he left. And Martial was the much better player in that 1st season. And now he can't get a look in. Amazing how things quickly change.

Martial would only look second to Mbappe and Neymar in the French League.

Memphis Depay is a brilliant player - and if we let Martial leave, the same thing will happen to him

Martial would only look second to Mbappe and Neymar in the French League.
Memphis Depay is a brilliant player - and if we let Martial leave, the same thing will happen to him
Of course. Martial is an amazing talent that we must keep hold of however Memphis is having a much better time of it atm and right now looks the player with more confidence. In the 1st season Martial was out of this world and Memphis looked a pub player but his move to Lyon has really reignited his career again and he looks like the player we thought we were buying. Martial hasn't developed like we expected but we can't afford to lose him. He is also capable of being one of the best in the world and showed his level in the 1st season.

I just saw this. some nice skills for sure, but if I saw this as the coach I would have subbed him off and then sell him for a bag of peanuts to first bidder.

www(dot)instagram.com/p/BfQU92gDq85/?hl=sv&taken-by=memphisdepay

Surprised, people not starting to liken him to when Mourinho let go of Salah, Lukaku, KDB yet :wenger:

On serious note, seem to find his level. Always maintained he has better instinct to get into good scoring position and more variety of finishing techniques than Martial. He lacks that agility, balance, strength, acceleration for PL. His style make it hard to utilize him as we have to make plenty of sacrifice in other positions to support him with him lack the cutting edge in those attributes described in last sentence.

Of course. Martial is an amazing talent that we must keep hold of however Memphis is having a much better time of it atm and right now looks the player with more confidence. In the 1st season Martial was out of this world and Memphis looked a pub player but his move to Lyon has really reignited his career again and he looks like the player we thought we were buying. Martial hasn't developed like we expected but we can't afford to lose him. He is also capable of being one of the best in the world and showed his level in the 1st season.

Martial had a great season in EPL which is x10 much tougher than French league. Depay is a good player and he had several good matches for us but they were all against crap oppositions as PSV, Brugge, That team from Denmark, it's his own level. He failed in doing anything in all his premier league games. Good player but not suited for this league. All fullbacks were containing him easily, not the same with Martial.

Martial had a great season in EPL which is x10 much tougher than French league. Depay is a good player and he had several good matches for us but they were all against crap oppositions as PSV, Brugge, That team from Denmark, it's his own level. He failed in doing anything in all his premier league games. Good player but not suited for this league. All fullbacks were containing him easily, not the same with Martial.
That's not the point I made. I know Memphis didn't perform like we expected and he was not ready to move to the PL at that stage. He was both phyiscally and mentally not ready to cope with the demands of the PL and the pressure that comes with playing for United. That's why I said Martial initially had the easier adaptation and was so good that he was basically carrying our attack. The point I made was their respective form since Memphis left to France. I know we all laugh at the French league but his numbers this season are still very impressive. Martial is still the better player IMO but you can't deny that right now Memphis is developing a lot quicker and is actually getting game time. Players progress at different rates and he seems to have found his place as a striker and keeps banging the goals in. If he keeps this up then he will definitely be back at a big club. Martial has unfortunately been frozen out since Sanchez arrived and his form has stagnated. I hope that he regains his form quickly and doesn't leave because his potential his huge.

Last edited:
His positioning and off the ball movement seems quite good honestly. Perhaps there is some hope for Memphis in a central role. He’s no RVN or RVP, but hell we currently have Wout Weghorst and Luuk de Jong :lol:

His runs have always been fantastic even when with us. Just let himself down when he had the ball in wide areas. Not surprised to see him excel centrally.

That's not the point I made. I know Memphis didn't perform like we expected and he was not ready to move to the PL at that stage. He was both phyiscally and mentally not ready to cope with the demands of the PL and the pressure that comes with playing for United. That's why I said Martial initially had the easier adaptation and was so good that he was basically carrying our attack. The point I made was their respective form since Memphis left to France. I know we all laugh at the French league but his numbers this season are still very impressive. Martial is still the better player IMO but you can't deny that right now Memphis is developing a lot quicker and is actually getting game time. Players progress at different rates and he seems to have found his place as a striker and keeps banging the goals in. Martial has unfortunately been frozen out since Sanchez arrived and his form has stagnated. I hope that he regains his form quickly and doesn't leave because his potential his huge.

I understand your point, but mine is Depay's form has improved a lot because he's now playing at his own level, seems harsh but I think he's not made to play against compact defenses. He needs space to perform his skills and shots and Premier league is the most congested one when it comes to tight spaces especially while you're playing in a big team Martial succeeded in England because he has great close control and can dribble in tight spaces, unlike Depay.

Depay's current form is similar to his form when he was playing with PSV and was the reason why he bought him. He's suited for these leagues more imo. No shame in that anyway.

It's just the fact that Memphis now plays where he feels comfortable. He has been good throughout the season from what I have seen but his game has no doubt improved when moved centrally - let's see if he can keep it up.

Be it Martial or Rashford - they will struggle no matter what team they play for if they play out on the wings. Rashford broke in to the first team & was pretty clinical for such a young striker- is now a winger 80% of the time for no other reason that the fact that we play with one striker. His lack of improvement should not be surprising.
Martial is also a striker who started centrally but has dug himself a hole at United by actually being quite decent at LW when originally asked to fill in; however this has stopped him playing in his comfort zone & it shows. Moving him to LW is seen by many as a way of making his game easier - but all it does is make his game predictable; it's easy to see by the way he dribbles that he is a CF. He simply doesn't have the ability to beat fullbacks out wide because he lacks the acceleration of a winger; instead what he usually has is momentum from dribbling which is better suited at targeting central defenders than angled fullbacks.

Martial, Rashford & Memphis are forwards & it shows because the only one who is playing there is showing some decent form irrespective of the league.

hes looked fantastic over there, good luck to the lad, just wasn't meant to be at United for him, although thought when he 1st arrived him and shaw looked fantastic down the left, then when shaw got injured he never got as much space due to no runs from the LB and never really had a great time from then, also thought he bulked up to much for his 1st season here.

Wonder how long it will be until Jose gets blamed for offloading him. If he hits the big time then hindsight will no doubt suddenly appear and it'll be "his talent was obvious"

Wonder how long it will be until Jose gets blamed for offloading him. If he hits the big time then hindsight will no doubt suddenly appear and it'll be "his talent was obvious"

His talent was obvious. The move in hindsifhtprobably just came too soon for him.

Theres a reason a lot of top clubs were after Memphis.

He's doing really good, I think people are still making fun of him because it's in the French league. He should move back to the premier league and see if he make it this time.

Memphis is involved in 40 goals after 50 matches of L1 (21 goals and 19 assists). Best performance for a player at Lyon over the last 10 years in front of Lisandro (33) with 26 goals and 7 assists

Not saying we made a mistake selling him, but it's interesting he's looking more effective since leaving us. I expect it'll be the same with Martial. We ruin attacking players. Except for Lukaku and Fellaini obviously.

Should have sold Rashford instead. Depay with confidence is on a whole other level of Rashford who only can run fast.

Not saying we made a mistake selling him, but it's interesting he's looking more effective since leaving us. I expect it'll be the same with Martial. We ruin attacking players. Except for Lukaku and Fellaini obviously.

It's France. PL defenders nullified his pace and strength and he didn't have enough extra going for him. In France he can run at players all day.

It's France. PL defenders nullified his pace and strength and he didn't have enough extra going for him. In France he can run at players all day.

It's all about confidence and settling in the country. A lot of European players won't settle well in Manchester.

Just look at his freekick yesterday.

He's a very good player. Wouldn't work at Utd though imo.

Maybe for a London club, still a risk though. He needs to play every week.

His stats give me a hope that Fekir won't be a big hit at Liverpool.

9 goals and 7 assists in his last 8 league games since being moved more centrally.
I remember LvG playing him centrally with Rooney for a few games and he looked dangerous. I think if he'd have been great as a second striker or RW drifting inside like Mata does, he just didn't seem to have his head in the right place (more lack of focus) when playing for us.

I don't think Ligue one is poor in quality, and for that matter the Bundesliga and La Liga too. At these leagues a lot of teams play attacking football even the relegation contenders, take the premier league, apart from the top 6, everyone else will park the bus all day long and play for draw to hold onto the premier league status, in the continent IMO playing in the top league doesn't seem to be as important for smaller clubs, take for example Koln qualified for Europa this year, they are now relegated. We played Wolfsburg at Champions league under LvG, they are relegated too.

It's amazing how maybe whilst we are suggesting people aren't utd quality, anyone thought some of these players are too good for us? This place is turning out to be an attackers graveyard and before someone's says 'but Rom' I'd say in a more attacking side, he'd have been competing for golden boot....