Memphis Depay | Corinthians player

He scored 2 PL goals :)

Also he wasn’t ready for the PL then, just like Salah.

Not saying he could come back to the PL and do what Salah has done, but players sometimes need to have a failure before they go to another club and get success. He could end up back in the PL and be brilliant. As long as he learns from his mistakes and he improves, just like Salah did.
Salah had about 800 minutes for Chelsea few of them starts. That's less than 9 games worth of minutes spread over 19 games.

Depay didn't get many minutes but he did get a much bigger chance albeit under LvG. Not sure if players can be correctly judged for their time here when LvG was in charge.

Salah had about 800 minutes for Chelsea few of them starts. That's less than 9 games worth of minutes spread over 19 games.

Depay didn't get many minutes but he did get a much bigger chance albeit under LvG. Not sure if players can be correctly judged for their time here when LvG was in charge.

Any player bar Messi would probably look rubbish under LVG.

With Rashford, Martial, Sanchez? Can any resident Ligue 1 watcher tell me if he has been playing on the left or centrally?

With Rashford, Martial, Sanchez? Can any resident Ligue 1 watcher tell me if he has been playing on the left or centrally?

He´s been played centrally the last 6 games: got 7 goals and 5 assists in those games. and 4 or 5 motm

He’s not world class, but a step (or two) below he’s a good player.

Can’t stand him though. Epitomizes what’s wrong with his generation.

And now I feel old.

Whilst I'm not sure his game is suited to prem, we should have at least put a buyback in place to give us the option.

He’s not world class, but a step (or two) below he’s a good player.

Can’t stand him though. Epitomizes what’s wrong with his generation.

And now I feel old.
Why? Afaik he's got a pretty good work ethic and is a good professional?

Can you elaborate on that?
His public image and the way he dresses are the two most important things in his life. He comes across shallow and can varely string two sentences together.

Something about him just irks me. He has this no one tells me what to do gangsta image. Ofcourse he spends a lot of time in the gym, but he’s so buff it’s almost a burden, again, just to look bad ass if you ask me.

Im just not a fan :)

Thats ridiculous. I imagine you cant stand Pogba then
Pogba seems very likable. It’s not just his hair or whatever. It’s hard to explain. Im not basing it on his performance at United or anything, he was like that since his early psv days.

I saw too much of this guy in a MUFC shirt, before realising that he was not suited to defenders who are supreme athletes (as is the case in the EPL).
There are many things you can criticize L1 for and makes it weaker than PL, but athleticism is not one of them. L1 is full of supreme athletes.

Considering how he wasn't particularly rated in France until recently, i guess this is either a purple patch, or he's coming into his own. His biggest problem was always poor decision-making, but that can improve with experience and maturity

His public image and the way he dresses are the two most important things in his life. He comes across shallow and can varely string two sentences together.

Something about him just irks me. He has this no one tells me what to do gangsta image. Ofcourse he spends a lot of time in the gym, but he’s so buff it’s almost a burden, again, just to look bad ass if you ask me.

He has worked hard to get to where he is. The way he dresses and his public image is important for his brand. I don't like it but it is his choice and doesn't speak to anything wrong with this generation. This generation is just more open and accepting.
His going to the gym must be regulated by his fitness advisors. If he is becoming overly buff then that is a legitimate beef you can have about him.

Pogba seems very likable. It’s not just his hair or whatever. It’s hard to explain. Im not basing it on his performance at United or anything, he was like that since his early psv days.

I understand what are you implying. Lately since he is producing for Lyon, he showed us his bling-bling watch, shoes, whatever shiny and private jets. Pogba is far from that self appreciation though.

What even more cringier is how he made it seems like he made it, like he is a global star with a godlike status. #m4mphis, ftw. I'm not a fan anymore, trying to hard to flex like Ronaldo.

That isn't a generation thing. If anything, your willingness to judge him based on his image says more about your generation, than his.

That isn't a generation thing. If anything, your willingness to judge him based on his image says more about your generation, than his.
I couldnt care less about his actual image, it’s the fact that his image is so important to him that irks me. And Im basing this on him saying exactly this in interviews.

That isnt the only thing however, it’s also this the world owes me something attitude. All critics are haters who dont understand. He’s a gift to hs and we should only ever applaud him.

We lost an entire generation of talented players to this shit attitude, so perhaps that makes me bitter.

How is this not a generation thing by the way? Are you saying instagram and other social media havent influenced his generation to act differently and put more emphasis on appearence, image, etc? And if his image is not something we are allowed to judge him by, why the feck does he even care about it.

I couldnt care less about his actual image, it’s the fact that his image is so important to him that irks me. And Im basing this on him saying exactly this in interviews.

That isnt the only thing however, it’s also this the world owes me something attitude. All critics are haters who dont understand. He’s a gift to hs and we should only ever applaud him.

We lost an entire generation of talented players to this shit attitude, so perhaps that makes me bitter.

How is this not a generation thing by the way? Are you saying instagram and other social media havent influenced his generation to act differently and put more emphasis on appearence, image, etc? And if his image is not something we are allowed to judge him by, why the feck does he even care about it.

Huh most of the Dutch players of Memphis's generation seem pretty boring?

Why does it irk you?

Is that his attitude? As far I can see, he's worked extremely hard to get where he has got.

It's simply another tool thats given younger people more exposure. Look at every single generation and you'll see the same thing. Hell, you've got Mods and Rockers beating the living shit out of each other just because they dressed differently.

He's been playing more centrally isn't he? Mertens' stats exploded when Sarri moved him to a central position at Napoli.

How is this not a generation thing by the way? Are you saying instagram and other social media havent influenced his generation to act differently and put more emphasis on appearence, image, etc?
Huh most of the Dutch players of Memphis's generation seem pretty boring?
Bazoer, Riedewald, Locadia, Tete, Kishna, El Ghazi etc where all quite talented but demanded more play time, more recognition a bigger contract etc and forced moves to different leagues at a young age. All of then failed quite spectacularly. Now im not saying they wouldve been world class, but they all share this attitude of everyone being against them and everyone being haters who just don’t appreciate them.

Posting your entire life on instagram is your choice, but you can’t expect to only be praised over it and get sulky whenever people criticize you.

Meh, it’s hard to explain, I don’t mean to come across like a backwords old cnut, which Im doing probably, but something about Memphis irks me.

Bazoer, Riedewald, Locadia, Tete, Kishna, El Ghazi etc where all quite talented but demanded more play time, more recognition a bigger contract etc and forced moves to different leagues at a young age. All of then failed quite spectacularly. Now im not saying they wouldve been world class, but they all share this attitude of everyone being against them and everyone being haters who just don’t appreciate them.

Posting your entire life on instagram is your choice, but you can’t expect to only be praised over it and get sulky whenever people criticize you.

Meh, it’s hard to explain, I don’t mean to come across like a backwords old cnut, which Im doing probably, but something about Memphis irks me.

I follow Ajax enough to know that almost of the Ajax's guys listed there left after losing their spots. Regardless of a player's nationality, age or even maturity they are going to get disgruntled if they are not getting consistent playing time. And you make more money riding the bench in the PL, Bundesliga and Ligue 1 than you do riding the bench in the Eredivisie. Tete has been doing ok and might play CL next season with Lyon.

I follow Ajax enough to know that almost of the Ajax's guys listed there left after losing their spots. Regardless of a player's nationality, age or even maturity they are going to get disgruntled if they are not getting consistent playing time. And you make more money riding the bench in the PL, Bundesliga and Ligue 1 than you do riding the bench in the Eredivisie. Tete has been doing ok and might play CL next season with Lyon.
Tete refused to extend his contract at Ajax after which he was benched, not the other way around. And a 19 year old demanding playtime is silly imo. If you’re good enough Ajax will give you a chance, that’s what made them who they are. Part of the fault is probably Raiola making their heads spin I guess.

Kishna and El Ghazi werent very well liked by the fans I admit. Part of their fanbase and players from Arabic decent don’t seem to get on. Same is now happening with Hakim Ziyech. Which is a disgrace honestly.

Anywho, Dutch people and Menphis dont really get along which results in a lot of negativity around him which I buy into more than i should.

Doe maar normaal, dan doe je al gek genoeg, is a Dutch saying. We like our players grounded and well behaved, like Dirk Kuyt. In the end we’re just a bunch of simple farmers I suppose.

Tete refused to extend his contract at Ajax after which he was benched, not the other way around. And a 19 year old demanding playtime is silly imo. If you’re good enough Ajax will give you a chance, that’s what made them who they are. Part of the fault is probably Raiola making their heads spin I guess.

Kishna and El Ghazi werent very well liked by the fans I admit. Part of their fanbase and players from Arabic decent don’t seem to get on. Same is now happening with Hakim Ziyech. Which is a disgrace honestly.

Anywho, Dutch people and Menphis dont really get along which results in a lot of negativity around him which I buy into more than i should.

Doe maar normaal, dan doe je al gek genoeg, is a Dutch saying. We like our players grounded and well behaved, like Dirk Kuyt. In the end we’re just a bunch of simple farmers I suppose.

But, don't you think the current Dutch generation is lacking in terms of flair and creativity?

But, don't you think the current Dutch generation is lacking in terms of flair and creativity?
Yeah ofcourse, some flair on the field would be great, outside it not so much.

Bergkamp for instance is boring as hell unless he’s on the pitch. I think rvp has shown that maturing as a person can help you greatly as a player.

We also had world-class potential youth team in the early 2010s, the likes of Morrison, Pogba, Johnstone, Januzaj, Keane could easily have created another class of 92. Pogba was behind Morrison and Januzaj in talent but none of all the player I listed except Pogba made it so far. Pogba and Lingard have an obsession with social media but it doesn't affect them on the field. I can think of Beckham, probably first football superstars model but it didn't affect him on the field either as far as I can remember, SAF doesn't like his attitude even though he is one of the most hardworking on the field. No matter how bad is attitude they have but they will make it if they put more effort to work and work hard to get where they are. Lingard and Pogba made it, Jaunzaj and Morrison don't. Attitude or social media, never issue but lack of hard work is an issue that needs to be addressed if they want to become one of the best players in their own position.

I think the biggest change is that they don't let Memphis track back anymore to help the defense, he can pretty much stay at the half line.
They did the same thing at psv, he doesn't look tired anymore after 20 minutes.

Memphis is playing well in a lower quality league against lower quality players. What a surprise.

As an example, Radamel Falcao bangs goals in for fun in Ligue 1, in the Prem though...

We also had world-class potential youth team in the early 2010s, the likes of Morrison, Pogba, Johnstone, Januzaj, Keane could easily have created another class of 92. Pogba was behind Morrison and Januzaj in talent but none of all the player I listed except Pogba made it so far. Pogba and Lingard have an obsession with social media but it doesn't affect them on the field. I can think of Beckham, probably first football superstars model but it didn't affect him on the field either as far as I can remember, SAF doesn't like his attitude even though he is one of the most hardworking on the field. No matter how bad is attitude they have but they will make it if they put more effort to work and work hard to get where they are. Lingard and Pogba made it, Jaunzaj and Morrison don't. Attitude or social media, never issue but lack of hard work is an issue that needs to be addressed if they want to become one of the best players in their own position.
I'm pretty sure SAF had serious issues with Beckham following his wife's failure of a solo career around the world while injured. Iirc he flew coast to coast in the states four times in two weeks with a broken arm. No one can say Beckham didn't put in the effort on the pitch but everything else was absent towards the end.
A professional athlete like a footballer must commit everything to their sport and club for the duration of their contracts and if a manager thinks you're personal lifestyle or social media profile is getting in the way then you are obliged to conduct yourself accordingly. Not so obvious with social media because you're profile outside of your sport is managed from the palm of you're hand but Beckaham was borderline fecking rediculous. Front pages vastly outnumbered back pages and SAF was right. When a haircut gets more attention than a shit performance then we have a problem. He may also have been right on Pogba if he can't get his head in the game over the next season, we will see.

Memphis is playing well in a lower quality league against lower quality players. What a surprise.

As an example, Radamel Falcao bangs goals in for fun in Ligue 1, in the Prem though...

Falcao was clearly not near his best physically when he was in the PL.

Last 4 games were against Amiens, Toulouse, Metz and Dijon. None of them are top 10 in Ligue 1 at the moment. And before that, he scored against Portugal but that was just a friendly.

Just to put this form into perspective.

Last 4 games were against Amiens, Toulouse, Metz and Dijon. None of them are top 10 in Ligue 1 at the moment. And before that, he scored against Portugal but that was just a friendly.

Just to put this form into perspective.

He also scored against PSG and Nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
This season he looks leaner, faster and he makes great off the ball movements, even scoring a few headers. He is playing with confidence.

There was always going to be an adjustment period moving to a new league and Memphis is not an creative midfielder at all but an attacker.

"At PSV, I first played as a centre-forward, then I was made to go out on the left when I got into the first team."
When Van Gaal signed him, Memphis said "I am a Striker" and yet still to this day i don't understand why he didn't play him there apart from Watford.

This was after binning all our strikers bar Rooney who was more effective in the hole playing off the main striker as he liked to drop deep to get on the ball more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic goal from delay once again.

Give me 5 likes lol can't embed videos

w(dot)dailymotion.com/video/x6ikzn6#tab_embed

I think the biggest change is that they don't let Memphis track back anymore to help the defense, he can pretty much stay at the half line.
They did the same thing at psv, he doesn't look tired anymore after 20 minutes.
Not watched them but if that is true that explains a bit. He wouldn't get that luxury here.

We have had 3-4 wingers in the last few years who have had a lot of potential and claims they could become top class but have left. Depay, Zaha, Januzaj and possibly Pereira in the future if he counts as a winger and maybe Martial if he leaves.

For me, these all would have been given a proper chance under Fergie and under different circumstances would have made it here. Zaha was signed by Fergie, was a raw talent with not much end products, thes sort of players need to be handled carefully and given minutes at the right time. He looks a different player at Palace now, even from his first stint there, he has added much more end product to his game, dribbles in the right areas, moves off the ball much better and can link the player. I feel he could definitely step up to a top club and succeed. Same with Depay, he looked very talented at PSV and in stints here, but his inconsistency cost him, when he was off his game he was very bad. Januzaj was the only highlight of the Moyes season, he looked terrific at times, could find good passes and his dribbling was excellent. LvG came in and didn't fancy him and a few poor loans and that was the end of his United career really.