Memphis Depay | Corinthians player

Depay isn't a bad player. He's just not suited for the Premier League that's all. He was getting owned by all EPL clubs full backs but he had some great games against teams as Brugge and PSV. I know that he'll do well with Lyon as he's suited for the league there and will find the atmosphere better to show his talent, but he never stroke me as a Premier League winger and he failed to show that here.

Yep. I wrote when he was about to leave United, that he should find a place where he can be part of a striker duo. His movement up front is one of his biggest assets, so naturally he will do more damage from a more advanced position, where he doesn't have to take players on all the time.
Agreed, I always thought he was best for us when he played as a 10. His work rate and movement is actually pretty good, but he lacked the acceleration required to beat a fullback most of the time. Once he's running though his pace is good enough to keep ahead, so his movement can make up for that.

Pleased he's doing well at Lyon.

I always thought he was a striker and not a winger. He can only beat players if he is stronger or faster. That's why he failed in England as fullbacks are all strong and fast.

He can shoot and is fast that was never in question. He played as striker once for us and scored but was never played there again. Would be interesting to see how he'd do in England again as a striker.

Happy to hear he's doing well.
He just isn't quick enough to play as a winger.
Incredibly slow over 10 yards.

He is replicating what he did in Holland. When he gets his next big move, and he will, he has to show that he has learned something from his time at Utd. I don't doubt his ability to put up numbers as the main man with the team built around him, especially against lower players. but playing a more disciplined role as part of a group is more of a challenge.

He should leave his winger life behind, today he was the number 10.
he's just been so much better since not playing as a winger.

Don't know if hes got it at the very top levwl, but he surely deserves another go at it. He is amazing for Lyon and has been a great buy and an absolute still for them.

Really liked the guy and was sad to see him go.

He should leave his winger life behind, today he was the number 10.
he's just been so much better since not playing as a winger.
Maybe LVG was onto something playing him at number 10 at the start of pre season 2015. I remember the first game in the tour he played number 10 with Young on the left, Mata on the right and Rooney upfront. Under these circumstances any young player would've struggled. He was judged too harshly. There's only so much you can do with a strikeforce like that. Since then our team has massively improved and he would actually improve our team in his current form. We hardly saw him playing centrally whether that's number 10 or as one of the two strikers in a 3-5-2 like the Watford game. He was atrocious as a winger but with a bit more patience I think he could've made it here playing through the middle like Lingard is doing now.

Last edited:
He has been great for Lyon. I always liked him and was disappointed that things didn’t work out at United.

This season he still had some pretty bad batches (playing as a winger) and was placed on the bench for awhile. otherwise, he would have probably been top scorer in the French league.

He has scored 14 goals and 11 assists in 2136 mins in league.
3 goals and 3 assists in 688 mins in Europa league.

That's a very good record.

Just to compare with other big players in the league

Mbappe - 21 goals + assists in 1830 mins
Lemar - 9 goals + assists in 1955 mins
Di Maria - 17 goals + assists in 1878 mins
Fekir - 22 G+A in 2066 mins
Cavani - 30 G+A i n2319 mins
Neymar - 32 G+A in 1788 mins
Thauvin - 27 G+A in 2568 mins

I have no idea how well he is playing but can't argue against his goals and assists.

4 goals and 5 assists in his last 3 games. That's pretty good.

He is flexing a lot lately. Not a fan anymore. I can understand Pogba's or Lingard's social media, but his flexing is on another level. Cringeworthy to the max.

He acts like he achieved that god tier level playing for Lyon.

Good to see him do well at Lyon but let's not pretend he was anything but a binman for us pretty much the whole time. He had some
absolutely dire games towards the end.

Good to see him do well at Lyon but let's not pretend he was anything but a binman for us pretty much the whole time. He had some
absolutely dire games towards the end.

At Lyon he's been good as a winger, but still not consistent enough.
But since he's playing more central last 5 games as a striker/shadow striker/10 has been very good, 3 motm, 5 goals, and 5 assists.
Will see how he plays today, but have high hopes.

He is flexing a lot lately. Not a fan anymore. I can understand Pogba's or Lingard's social media, but his flexing is on another level. Cringeworthy to the max.

He acts like he achieved that god tier level playing for Lyon.

As long as he plays like he did the last games I don't care, if he returns to crap then it's irritating.

At Lyon he's been good as a winger, but still not consistent enough.
But since he's playing more central last 5 games as a striker/shadow striker/10 has been very good, 3 motm, 5 goals, and 5 assists.
Will see how he plays today, but have high hopes.

As long as he plays like he did the last games I don't care, if he returns to crap then it's irritating.

Same case as James I guess, not the physicality to be a top winger but very useful as a free player behind a striker, not the same level though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scene if Chelsea, City, Liverpool, Spurs or Arsenal interested in buying Depay and Depay become a world class at these club in the league. Luckily we have a refusal clause.

Lads, it's Ligue 1.

Seriously though, glad he's doing well but he was never the standard for the United unfortunately.

He has scored 14 goals and 11 assists in 2136 mins in league.
3 goals and 3 assists in 688 mins in Europa league.

That's a very good record.

Just to compare with other big players in the league

Mbappe - 21 goals + assists in 1830 mins
Lemar - 9 goals + assists in 1955 mins
Di Maria - 17 goals + assists in 1878 mins
Fekir - 22 G+A in 2066 mins
Cavani - 30 G+A i n2319 mins
Neymar - 32 G+A in 1788 mins
Thauvin - 27 G+A in 2568 mins

I have no idea how well he is playing but can't argue against his goals and assists.
Better goals and assists per minute in the league than Mbappe. Shows you that stats aren't everything.

Better goals and assists per minute in the league than Mbappe. Shows you that stats aren't everything.

Lacazette - 15 goals + assists (11 G / 4 A) in 1,959 mins at Arsenal

Lacazette - 31 goals + assists (28 G / 3 A) in 2,408 mins at Lyon last season

4 goals and 5 assists in his last 3 games. That's pretty good.

Put him up against an EPL defence and he'll get 0 assists and 0 goals.
I saw too much of this guy in a MUFC shirt, before realising that he was not suited to defenders who are supreme athletes (as is the case in the EPL).

He was great against Brugge and Midgyland. But when he went back to play against an EPL team, it was the same poor performance.

In summary: a player to use against League 1 or below sides (ie. FA Cup and League Cup or even EL teams), but put him up against a Championship side or better and he will struggle.

I saw too much of this guy in a MUFC shirt, before realising that he was not suited to defenders who are supreme athletes (as is the case in the EPL).

He scored 2 PL goals :)

Also he wasn’t ready for the PL then, just like Salah.

Not saying he could come back to the PL and do what Salah has done, but players sometimes need to have a failure before they go to another club and get success. He could end up back in the PL and be brilliant. As long as he learns from his mistakes and he improves, just like Salah did.

He scored 2 PL goals :)

Also he wasn’t ready for the PL then, just like Salah.

Not saying he could come back to the PL and do what Salah has done, but players sometimes need to have a failure before they go to another club and get success. He could end up back in the PL and be brilliant. As long as he learns from his mistakes and he improves, just like Salah did.

Nah he never look in control of the ball it's like watching an octopus run with the ball with legs flying everywhere! He was like that before he joined his close control is absolute gash!

If he has been playing a more central/SS role, where is Fekir playing?

If he has been playing a more central/SS role, where is Fekir playing?
Fekir is just coming back from injury, Mariano is now injured and Lyon sometimes plays in a diamond.

There's a bit of that although there's plenty of strong L1 defenders, a bit of Memphis doing better centrally, a bit of him gaining form and a bit of Lyon being a better attacking side than United.