Memphis Depay | Corinthians player

really nice shot but he's horrible just like all of our other recent rejects. Mhki, Falcao, DiMaria, Keane, Rooney. I guess you can't keep everyone.

Not being good enough for United doesn’t mean a player isn’t any good. Di Maria is great again since leaving, Falcao also.

Still think he’ll turn into a player and we got rid too quick.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he does a Salah.

Think we have first refusal.

A quick google says its a buy back option, one article says for £35m.

That'd be pretty decent if he actually realises his potential, although hard to see where he'd fit in now.

Thank God, we have installed buyback options in contracts. if he continues like this in long-term, he'd be easily 100m in today market, we can get him back for £35M :eek:

I didn't think he did that much up until the goal tbh. Great shot though.

He plays the same role as Martial, I think we sacrificed the right player.

Memphis only really had a year under LvG. He never really played under Jose.

He wasn’t given time. I think sometimes people forget footballers are humans. He was maybe struggling to adapt, but he was just a kid and the talent was there, everyone wanted to sign him. It hasn’t worked out for yet, but I think it will.

What I mean by that, is at 21 or however old he was when he made the move, I don’t think I personally could of coped with the pressure of playing for United in a big transfer (not that they’d want me anyway!)

Martial is better than him yes, but you can never have too many good players.

Last edited:
Agreed. One season in a dysfunctional team and a season where he made 8 appearances isn’t enough time for a young player attempting to bed in, particularly under two different managers.

That’s what I think too. Think he’d be a great signing for someone like Spurs in a year or two.

He wasn’t given time. I think sometimes people forget footballers are humans. He was maybe struggling to adapt, but he was just a kid and the talent was there, everyone wanted to sign him. It hasn’t worked out for yet, but I think it will.

What I mean by that, is at 21 or however old he was when he made the move, I don’t think I personally could of coped with the pressure of playing for United in a big transfer (not that they’d want me anyway!)

To be fair he didn't really help reduce the pressure. He kept putting it on himself asking for the whole number 7 shirt and stuff like that. I agree I think he could still be a great playing but I think he needed a middle club between PSV and United. Lyon is better for him now anyways. That said, even if we have a buyback clause and want him in the future, does he really want to come back to a club that legitimately gave up on him after a year (since his second year he didn't even get a shot)?

To be fair he didn't really help reduce the pressure. He kept putting it on himself asking for the whole number 7 shirt and stuff like that. I agree I think he could still be a great playing but I think he needed a middle club between PSV and United. Lyon is better for him now anyways. That said, even if we have a buyback clause and want him in the future, does he really want to come back to a club that legitimately gave up on him after a year (since his second year he didn't even get a shot)?

Yes. Biggest club in the biggest league in the world.

Thank God, we have installed buyback options in contracts. if he continues like this in long-term, he'd be easily 100m in today market, we can get him back for £35M :eek:
He barely even showed us glimpses of progressing into something special while he was here. He could only do it against teams like Midjtland for us. He had very poor dribbling skills and zero trickery. Just cos he can score the odd good goal doesn’t make him worth signing.

Why do we always seem to get rid of flair players, while we always seem to keep dross?. We should never of got rid imo, if he was like 28 then fair enough but a young player with potential, no.

He barely even showed us glimpses of progressing into something special while he was here. He could only do it against teams like Midjtland for us. He had very poor dribbling skills and zero trickery. Just cos he can score the odd good goal doesn’t make him worth signing.

You missed my points. £35 million couple of years ago could be worth £80m-100m in today market which probably made it more expensive for us if we want to get him back when in fantasy world, he suddenly become world class but theoretically getting him back for 35 million is a bargain with the likes of Real Madrid, PSG, City and Chelsea interested in him.

Under LVG he was one of the few players to have been given freedom. You can say he might come good because he is young, but he was given time and opportunity.

You can't keep players who may come good. You need those who most definitely will. Memphis wasn't worth it anymore when we had the likes of Martial, Rashford coming through.

I really can't believe people who say we shouldn't have gotten rid. He was garbage here and some decent goals in the french league proves nothing. Martial is scoring goals every other week and questions are raised about him, yet people want Depay a guy who was crap against top opposition.

I'm glad to see him doing well.

Always liked him as a lad - bit of a lost soul and tries to be a flash harry because of it, but a good lad at heart I think.

Hope he continues to do well - unless against Utd.
I have no reason to know this and it's pure speculation but he seemed like quite a sad player here. I think he'd thought he made it. And when it wasn't going right for him, he looked like he'd given up.

When his performances were poor, the effort was lacking too. When he was pretty much a sub and he did get his minutes he didn't try to come on and prove a point. He was a passenger even then.

I remember seeing/hearing an interview about how he didn't get picked for the FA cup final and how his mom/gran asked him if he was playing and it hurt him to say no. I did feel bad for him. He may be a big fish in a small pond over there, but I hope he's happy and glad he's doing well for himself.

I really can't believe people who say we shouldn't have gotten rid. He was garbage here and some decent goals in the french league proves nothing. Martial is scoring goals every other week and questions are raised about him, yet people want Depay a guy who was crap against top opposition.

Letting him go was definitely the correct decision for all parties concerned.

Still not good enough for a top team. Goal threat when cutting in and shooting but just not rounded enough. Medicore one v one, lacks top end pace or true dribbling ability.

Maybe it's some latent racism in me, but I expected him to be quick. His lack of speed really surprised me. Particularly for a winger/forward.

Why do we always seem to get rid of flair players, while we always seem to keep dross?. We should never of got rid imo, if he was like 28 then fair enough but a young player with potential, no.

Er he was generally dross for United. It wasn't working for him, he wanted to leave and he was surpassed by Martial in the role he plays. So yes we should have kept him and gotten rid of all the dross like Bastian, Rooney and Morgan that we still have in the squad.
Good lord some of our fans love the glass half empty perspective...

He’s potentially a really good player, like Zaha or Morrison. It depends if the desire is there... all three are already very rich people and definatly don’t care about you or me and probably don’t really care about any particular football club. It doesn’t stop them from having great attributes that could potentially make them superb footballers sooner or later

We have a buy back option on him dont we?

We've just off-loaded deadwood (Miki). I hope we don't buy back some more deadwood.
Memphis's true level is PSV and Lyon.
He had his chance at MUFC and he was abysmal.
In fact, I am not sure who is worse: Miki or Memphis.

Precisely.
Memphis was dreadful and I doubt he is much better now.
Even for MUFC, he was very good against poor teams. However, the moment we played a good team (ie. any team in the EPL), he turned to junk.
I think Midgetland was his best performance. He was also good against Brugge. Notice that both these teams are poor quality.

Not being good enough for United doesn’t mean a player isn’t any good. Di Maria is great again since leaving, Falcao also.
To be fair, Di Maria probably was good enough for us, he just didn't really want to be here.

Regarding Memphis, I agree. There's still clearly a good player in there, and I think he'll have a solid career. Not good enough for the highest level though.

The lad's a show pony, a flash Harry primadonna. He's not got half the skills a United winger/forward should have. What killed it for me was seeing on Instagram with a purple hat on and shades. He's got too much going on outside of football to be any good. Fergie would have roasted him to death.

Is this based on his clothes and the Rolls or is there more to it? I've never understood how an athletes taste in clothes or cars could affect their career? If they eat a snickers for lunch every day or party 4 nights/week then sure, but having flashy things can surely not be considered to be a career killer can it?

To be fair alot of pressure was put on the lad. From the manager to the fans. I thought it was crazy when we gave him the nr7 shirt. He might have never become good for us but LVG and the pressure put him certainly didn't help him.

Selling him was right. Just like selling Zaha Rafael Nani Evans Welbeck etc. no regrets whatsoever

He'll do the rounds at mid-table clubs around Europe before eventually moving back to Holland. A dumb player who think he is better than he is.

Rafael and Nani are the only ones I disagree with

Nani had been a non factor for at least 2 seasons before we sold him. Rafael was rarely fit. Zaha and maybe Evans could’ve still been useful