Memphis Depay | Corinthians player

There’s definitely a very good player in him. :drool:

Damn shame we only saw fleeting glimpses. :(

Depay has an immense talent no doubt about that, but talent isn't everything that's for sure. He'll probably end like Quaresma.

He performs well in lesser leagues/clubs against weaker defenders.
We already knew this because when we played EL teams, he used to be fantastic.
His problem was that the moment he came up against an EPL defender, he could do none of this. The defenders used to dominate him.
So the fact that he is doing very well against weak defences, comes as no surprise.

His problem was that the moment he came up against an EPL defender, he could do none of this. The defenders used to dominate him.
So the fact that he is doing very well against weak defences, comes as no surprise.

I don’t buy that tge French league is so far beneath the EPL, or Zlatan would have been useless for us. With Depay, I think LVG utterly destroyed his confidence by throwing him into the first team and expecting him to perform from the get-go. He should have been eased into the team. The other problem with Depay is that he was more worried about his clothing than about making it at United. He thought he already had it made. Both issues are mentality issues, not talent issues.

He was new to the PL and also young, I feel like he could have adapted, but he came to United in the wrong environment and time.
We didn't have time to wait for him to develop/adjust.

I feel like at some point in the future he can progress again, its a shame we got him when we were in flux.

The overrated tosser was abysmally, utterly & consistently shite with an iffy attitude.

Don't understand why people are still trying to defend him.

I feel he'd have looked good in the current counter attacking system but on a game to game basis he is still frustratingly inconsistent. He'd lose the ball doing something incredibly stupid and then bounce back with a screamer all within a 5 minute stretch.

I don’t buy that tge French league is so far beneath the EPL, or Zlatan would have been useless for us. With Depay, I think LVG utterly destroyed his confidence by throwing him into the first team and expecting him to perform from the get-go. He should have been eased into the team. The other problem with Depay is that he was more worried about his clothing than about making it at United. He thought he already had it made. Both issues are mentality issues, not talent issues.

The French league is a world away from the ELP defensively, its a good league to watch but you can't compare in to England at all.

He's one of those players you need to be reminded he ever played for United.

I get the feeling he'll be a big player in the Champions League in a couple of seasons. Coming to Utd wrecked his progress trajectory but at least he's financially secure for life now and can just concentrate on his game. He looks like he needs 2 more seasons of finding his rhythm before he is ready to become a big name player

The No. 7 didn’t help :rolleyes:

Plus he’d bulked up ridiculously over the summer before he started, which reduced his mobility.

Lots of excuses. I can’t help feeling that even if all these bad things hadn’t befallen him, he’d have still shat himself when up against your average PL defender.

I think you make some good points but we really need to get away from these kind of statements.
Footballers do many things outside of football, dressing a certain way doesn't mean you are no focused on the game, also having a haircut doesn't either.
We shouldn't alienate people who dress differently or have a differently hairstyle anymore than we do for players who are different for other reasons.

Dressing a certain way or getting your hair done doesn't stop you from training and being dedicated, its a very lazy criticism of certain players IMO

I'm happy that things are going better for him at Lyon. The French league isn't a pub league like many think. A lot of players who've performed there have got moves to the PL and are performing here. Hazard, Mahrez, Kante etc. He got a lot of unfair criticism in his time at United and I felt fans here went over the top in their criticism. He is a young player who found it difficult to cope the pressure and expectation in his first year and perhaps the PL move came too early for him. LVG ruined the guys confidence. Memphis is someone who needs an arm around the shoulder because is a confidence player and LVG's rigid approach was completely the opposite of that. In the second season he didn't really get a chance to play but I'm sure in 2 or 3 years he'll be back at a big club if he keeps improving. Just look at Salah at Chelsea. Similar situation. Struggled at first but went away for a few years and worked on his game. Now look at the difference. I can see Memphis going in that direction but only if he maintains his focus and doesn't become distracted.

Last edited:
OK, more politely, he hasn't got a single exceptional ability that will frighten any top level defender. Isn't quick enough to get away, doesn't pass well enough, doesn't have exceptional vision / awareness. Might be OK in the best team vs. average opposition because this creates time & space. Quick mobile intelligent defender will comfortably neutralise MD 98% of the time for me.

I'd still give Januzaj a greater chance of ascending to the very highest level just because he has more tricks & moves quicker to greater effect 1 vs. 1 - and that isn't gonna happen either.

There’s definitely a very good player in him. :drool:

Damn shame we only saw fleeting glimpses. :(

Some good goals aside, it's interesting how the vast majority of that video shows him doing little twists, Cryuff turns, and rabonas, and then immediately cuts away, so you don't actually see how these tricks resulted in a benefit to the team. This is probably because that clip where he did a twist then tried to do a rabona cross resulted in that cross going straight out of play.

If you have no end product, you can do all the tricks you want, but it does no one any good. Ronaldo learnt that early in his career at Utd, and this helped him to become the legend he now is. Depay just isn't learning that.

Some good goals aside, it's interesting how the vast majority of that video shows him doing little twists, Cryuff turns, and rabonas, and then immediately cuts away, so you don't actually see how these tricks resulted in a benefit to the team. This is probably because that clip where he did a twist then tried to do a rabona cross resulted in that cross going straight out of play.

If you have no end product, you can do all the tricks you want, but it does no one any good. Ronaldo learnt that early in his career at Utd, and this helped him to become the legend he now is. Depay just isn't learning that.
This is so true. I've seen so many scouting vids which show a very talented youngster doing a trick or bursting past players to get into space... then the clip stops. Which means they fecked up, otherwise the whole attack would have been shown. I'd rather see a failed pass/cross then just cutting off - at least it gives you a better idea of what the player tried to do. i.e. if they saw a run by a teammate.

Memphis Depay is equal 13th top scorer in Ligue 1 with 10 goals in 1865 mins. He has scored one pen in the league this season.

Martial is equal 14th in the PL with 9 goals in 1344 mins. He has scored one pen in the league this season.

Jesse Lingard is equal 18th with 8 goals in 1395 mins.

Marcus Rashford has 6 goals in 1441 mins.

Memphis Depay has 6 assists. Anthony Martial has 5 assists. Jesse Lingard has 4 assists. Marcus Rashford has 5 assists.

So adjusting for mins on the pitch and penalties, Memphis is performing at a similar level to Martial, Lingard and Rashford, but in a significantly weaker league. His expected goals + expected assists per 90 mins are actually worse than those of all 3 United players this season.

Pass completion Lingard 87.4%, Martial 82.5%, Memphis 79.7%, Rashford 76.1%

Memphis recently turned 24. Rashford is 20. Anthony Martial is 22. Jesse 25.

By the way, what on earth was the last 5 mins of that scouting highlights package ?

If only United's scouts had asked themselves if PL keepers would have conceded some of the goals he scored from long range for PSV, we might never have bought him.

Last edited:
The only player from Lyon we should consider bringing back is Rafael, not Memphis.

So overrated! I still remember seeing him at Old Trafford and I was just horrified by his off-the-ball lack of enthusiasm (tbf we were playing under LVG).

His confidence is back. He is another Mhikitaryan

Pretty much, his confidence was shot by LvG's restrictive tactics and the same is for Mhiki under Jose. Sometimes fans (and managers) disregard how mentally stressful it can be to be a player for such a big team and some are more sensitive to criticism than others.

Klopp said something similar regarding Mhiki, that he's talented but needs an arm around him. I guess some managers (Jose, LvG) are more stone cold and demand similar type of players, these players don't shine under those managers.

New country, new, tougher, league, I think managers should do more to help players adjust and fans should be less critical of their performances.

He is at the right level and I'm glad he is doing good for himself, always talks fondly about our club. I''ll never forget how Walker man handled him though.

Rafael like Herrera, is more high on passion than quality. Arguably a bigger crock than Jones as well, Ligue 1 suits him and we should be aiming for a better class of FB.

Rafael was quality for us. He'd be far more useful for us at right back right now than Valencia. That equaliser vs Pool at Anfield was top quality.

Rafael was quality for us. He'd be far more useful for us at right back right now than Valencia. That equaliser vs Pool at Anfield was top quality.

Or his belter at QPR :drool:

On topic, glad Memphis seems to be playing well and found his confidence back.

Stop overating him people, he just found his level.

He was doing the same thing in a shitty league before coming to us, came here, shit the bed, went to lyon in another shitty league, he's playing decently.