Memphis Depay | Corinthians player

He has 10 goals and 5 assists in all competitions. A goal or assist every 88 mins

Basically another Zaha or adnan. A highly Talented young player who could still play at the highest level but it didn't work out for them here for a number of reasons. Young players need to play every week and make mistakes. Look at sane and sterling last year. This year with their managers trust they've been excellent.

Basically another Zaha or adnan. A highly Talented young player who could still play at the highest level but it didn't work out for them here for a number of reasons. Young players need to play every week and make mistakes. Look at sane and sterling last year. This year with their managers trust they've been excellent.

I agree.

I think Depay didn't work out for one reason or another, but the talent was always there. Case of right player wrong time imo.

You're still harbouring hopes of januzaj playing for a top club? It won't happen. Same goes for Zaha imo.

Relied way too much on his physical attributes imo which is rarely enough in the PL. Think he'll do well in leagues which let him exploit that but will struggle in the like so PL unless his all round game improves a lot.

2 goals in 33 Premier League games
13 goals in 30 Ligue Un games.

Levels.
Surely the level is lower in ligue 1 but is has a lot to do in with a functioning team with a cohesive functioning attack that suits his game (counter football). His runs have Always been his best attribute, and dribbling one of his weakest. Playing in a possesion based style really brings the worst out of him. He doesnt have that ability.

You're still harbouring hopes of januzaj playing for a top club? It won't happen. Same goes for Zaha imo.

Ya I actually am. Look at salah. Looked a very good prospect before he signed for Chelsea. Got swallowed up by the amount of talent they already had there and didn't get enough game time. Went to an 'inferior' league, developed some more and now is well able for the premier league. People expecting young players to just magically turn into a world beater while being limited to cup games and sub appearances and sitting on the bench and getting slated for not winning a game by themselves while their much more experienced colleagues also fail but somehow get away with it? This win at all costs mentality means anyone but the most exceptional youth players will have to eventually drop down a level to come back up. It's something we are going to see lots more of as the top clubs farm the best prospects and very few can actually play enough

Ya I actually am. Look at salah. Looked a very good prospect before he signed for Chelsea. Got swallowed up by the amount of talent they already had there and didn't get enough game time. Went to an 'inferior' league, developed some more and now is well able for the premier league. People expecting young players to just magically turn into a world beater while being limited to cup games and sub appearances and sitting on the bench and getting slated for not winning a game by themselves while their much more experienced colleagues also fail but somehow get away with it? This win at all costs mentality means anyone but the most exceptional youth players will have to eventually drop down a level to come back up. It's something we are going to see lots more of as the top clubs farm the best prospects and very few can actually play enough

Salah is exceptionally quick though. Memphis is neither quick or strong. I don't see how he comes back to be a top player in the Prem.

Surely the level is lower in ligue 1 but is has a lot to do in with a functioning team with a cohesive functioning attack that suits his game (counter football). His runs have Always been his best attribute, and dribbling one of his weakest. Playing in a possesion based style really brings the worst out of him. He doesnt have that ability.

Memphis looked pretty good for us too, when we were playing weak European opposition.

Look at Ericsson. Great player. Looked great in a bad league. Had some good moments in the PL for a few seasons and now has become really good after being given plenty of time to get experience from the manager. Would bale have developed like he did at spurs here with his injury and form problems?probably not.

Players can't afford to waste their early 20s sitting on our bench anymore. That's why we always pay through the nose. I wish we'd go back to actually trying to develop some players. I'd say even lingard, as much as he frustrates me, has a higher level than we've seen if he got to play week in week out.

I feel like even though we are competitive our club is still a bit of a mess at the minute but that's why these people get paid very handsomely - To sort the mess out or to stop it before it gets out of control. Winning, entertainment, romance and escapism is what football means to your average fan. Money is what drives it but the money isn't ours and never will be. We all just want a well run club that plays some good stuff and gives us something to get excited about. Hypothetically the big wigs provide that and get rich and the fans are kept happy. Simple eh? Hahaha

But back to my point. We would have a much better team in a few years if we went out and signed 4 or 5 of the absolute best young players in the world and gave them enough game time to gel and get used to each other while phasing the older players out. The other thing I want to see is us having players with a strong will to win. I hate all this nice guy stuff and happy with finishing second and we will do better next season soundbytes. We need to improve and we need to be ruthless and admit we've dropped the ball and I think that's how we do it.

Last edited:
He has 10 goals and 5 assists in all competitions. A goal or assist every 88 mins

To be fair he was smashing it in against the poor European teams when he was here too. It was premier league opposition that did not suit him well.

Look at Ericsson. Great player. Looked great in a bad league. Had good moments in the PL for a few seasons and now has come good after being given plenty of time to get experience from the manager. Would bale have developed like he did at spurs here with his injury and form problems?probably not. Players can't afford to waste their early 20s sitting on our bench anymore. That's why we always pay through the nose. I wish we'd go back to actually trying to develop some players. I'd say even lingard, as much as he frustrates me, has a higher level than we've seen if he got to play week in week out. I feel like even though we are competitive our club is still a bit of a mess at the minute.
Rashford Martial Bailly all get games. Memphis not good enough. even Van Gaal "mr youth development" used him sparingly. Lingard is 25. Theres probably a reason he hasn't played week in week out

Rashford Martial Bailly all get games. Memphis not good enough. even Van Gaal "mr youth development" used him sparingly. Lingard is 25. Theres probably a reason he hasn't played week in week out

LVGS signings were horrible. Here's a man who just managed depay for the NT and crushes his form and confidence for his club team after paying big money for him and sticking him on a big wage. Horrible manager. Mr Youth indeed.

LVGS signings were horrible. Here's a man who just managed depay for the NT and crushes his form and confidence for his club team after paying big money for him and sticking him on a big wage. Horrible manager. Mr Youth indeed.
kind of missed the point. He has a track record of playing young players IF good enough. Shaw, martial, Rashford were all looking to become regular features in his side, as they played well and were earning their place. they are all younger than Depay and 2 of them cost more than him. The difference was the talent. Memphis has lots of belief but in the real world that's not enough, especially when one of your rivals, also similar age, produces much better

I hope we keep continuing his progress. Mourinho did say we inserted a buy-back clause when he was sold and I'm happy to see him playing with confidence again. If he carries this form I'm sure we'll see him the PL again a bit like what Salah is doing at the moment.

Has he lost any weight? Always seemed far too big in his time at United.

I remember an interview where he said he put on about 10kg of muscle in the summer he signed for us (or something ridiculous like that) and I just didn't understand what he hoped to achieve with that mass. He wasn't even particularly strong and it must have contributed to him being hopeless at beating his man.

Salah was more of a talent than Januzaj, and actually did decent enough for Chelsea despite the talent around him. He also showed a better attitude towards fighting for his place than Januzaj did, who didn't really show much fight in his loan spell at Dortmund and had his attitude questioned.

Also, Januzaj hasn't proved a fraction of what Salah did after his Chelsea stint and doesn't look likely to either.

Salah was more of a talent than Januzaj, and actually did decent enough for Chelsea despite the talent around him. He also showed a better attitude towards fighting for his place than Januzaj did, who didn't really show much fight in his loan spell at Dortmund and had his attitude questioned.

Also, Januzaj hasn't proved a fraction of what Salah did after his Chelsea stint and doesn't look likely to either.

Januzaj is in great form currently.

So is depay. Zaha has been in good form in a terrible team since he left us... you have to give these players chances to make mistakes or else just don't sign them in the first place

Depay just wasn’t good enough. He was very good for PSV, very good for United against weak European sides and is good for Lyon.

Zaha was great for Palace, crap for United and then great for Palace.

There is a theme.

Januzaj is the most talented of the bunch but his problem is application and attitude. If he sorts that then he could be great. The others were just not cut out for life at a big club IMO.

I've never understood the "not good enough for a bigger club" kind of argument. when your surrounded by better players you will improve and play better than if your surrounded by dross, or your the best player.

Its like when your playing sport as a kid, its allways better to be the worst player in a good team, than the best player in a shit team for your self improvement.

Depay just wasn’t good enough. He was very good for PSV, very good for United against weak European sides and is good for Lyon.

Zaha was great for Palace, crap for United and then great for Palace.

There is a theme.

Januzaj is the most talented of the bunch but his problem is application and attitude. If he sorts that then he could be great. The others were just not cut out for life at a big club IMO.
Zaha never got enough of a chance at United to even claim he played crap. Januzaj's problem was being too physically weak. Not enough muscle/upper body strength

Seems like there is no right answer. given that we've been going through a rough rebuilding spell I wish we'd put a little more of our faith in the best youth out there. I think we would have a lot more to show for it by now than by buying di Maria falcao miki etc. I really like the pogba signing. He will be here for his best years and will grow to love playing for the club when it starts to click again and he's a major player. I wish he hadn't had to leave in the first place. If we can't play our best young players into top form then we need to start loaning season after season like Chelsea do.
That's all I'm getting at really.

Last edited:
I've never understood the "not good enough for a bigger club" kind of argument. when your surrounded by better players you will improve and play better than if your surrounded by dross, or your the best player.

Its like when your playing sport as a kid, its allways better to be the worst player in a good team, than the best player in a shit team for your self improvement.

For your self improvement it’s better, maybe, but you’ll look like a far worse player in that scenario.

Scored more than Neymar and Mbappé in the league.

Still don't rate him though, flat track bully.

Just scored a last minute belter to beat PSG 2-1.

Delighted for him. :drool::devil:

Still not good enough for a top team. Goal threat when cutting in and shooting but just not rounded enough. Medicore one v one, lacks top end pace or true dribbling ability.

The problem Depay has, is that his game was predicated on being a better athlete than the defenders facing him. Which he wasn't in the premier league. So against lower league clubs in the CL/Euros he looked like a monster, because the guys defending him were not fast enough. In the premier league pretty much all the defenders were at his level athletically. So he simply couldn't bully them/out run them.

really nice shot but he's horrible just like all of our other recent rejects. Mhki, Falcao, DiMaria, Keane, Rooney. I guess you can't keep everyone.

The lad's a show pony, a flash Harry primadonna. He's not got half the skills a United winger/forward should have. What killed it for me was seeing on Instagram with a purple hat on and shades. He's got too much going on outside of football to be any good. Fergie would have roasted him to death.

I always liked Memphis. He is clearly a big talent but 1 season under LVG wasn't enough to get rid. A lot of players were devoid of confidence with him in charge and I'm not surprised to see him doing well. Very happy for him. People are quick to write this guy off for some reason but I see a lot of potential in him. The club wouldn't have inserted a buyback clause when he was sold if they didn't see potential. He just wasn't guaranteed the game time here. I won't be surprised if he turns out like Salah who left the league, went away for 2/3 seasons and is now tearing it up with Liverpool.

Last edited:
The lad's a show pony, a flash Harry primadonna. He's not got half the skills a United winger/forward should have. What killed it for me was seeing on Instagram with a purple hat on and shades. He's got too much going on outside of football to be any good. Fergie would have roasted him to death.

Haha tbf Pogba is not much better in that regard

Scored more than Neymar and Mbappé in the league.

Still don't rate him though, flat track bully.

Where are you getting that stat from?! Neymar has 15, mbappe and Memphis both have 9.