Memphis Depay | Corinthians player

Nani had been a non factor for at least 2 seasons before we sold him. Rafael was rarely fit. Zaha and maybe Evans could’ve still been useful
Urg, whatever you just described Rafael and Nani was applicable to Zaha (non factor) and Evans (injury prone) in the immediate period prior to them getting shipped out.

Last edited:
Great goal from him against PSG but when I remember his performances whilst playing for us I still think he is way too weak for our Club

Nani had been a non factor for at least 2 seasons before we sold him. Rafael was rarely fit. Zaha and maybe Evans could’ve still been useful

Nani was/is better than what we were left with, then and arguably now, he was hardly given a run in the last couple seasons here, yet still managed to be a key reason as to why/how Portugal won the Euros. Rafael was/is better than Darmian and could have been an useful understudy to Valencia, we stood by plenty of players with injury issues, Jones being an example, and not saying that's necessarily the right thing to do in call cases, but I feel Rafael was a good player and still had a lot he could contribute

We've just off-loaded deadwood (Miki). I hope we don't buy back some more deadwood.
Memphis's true level is PSV and Lyon.
He had his chance at MUFC and he was abysmal.
In fact, I am not sure who is worse: Miki or Memphis.
Not every wood that doesn't fit us turns into deadwood. Mkhi and Depay have been and are very good players who just did not fit the club's style of play. I would rather put the blame more on the club's management than the players, for not able to identify players who would suit our style. Our current deadwood would be Zlatan, Darmian, and maybe Carrick.

tbh Rashford Recent form has been worse than Memphis ever was at united.

To be fair alot of pressure was put on the lad. From the manager to the fans. I thought it was crazy when we gave him the nr7 shirt. He might have never become good for us but LVG and the pressure put him certainly didn't help him.
Yes I agree. Young had been great on the left in the last part of the previous season. It would have made sense to carry on with him as a starter there and introduce Memphis gradually. Instead Young was pushed out of the way and Memphis was instantly first choice.

As others have observed, bulking up over that summer did him no favours at all. He looked slow and cumbersome for us as a result.

He's been poor, granted, but Memphis was beyond dire! Rashford is struggling for some confidence but still has flashes. The only player/s that come close to how poor Memphis was are Mkhitaryan and Herrera on his really bad days. I think a lot have forgotten just how frustrating it was to watch Memphis on the left.

Happy for him. He's at the right level though. It's not like he's looking amazing, he's a solid player for them and that's it. In the premier league he'd be more at home in a midtable like what Shaqiri has been. Talented but ultimately not talented enough to be at a top team.

True but he has at least done something since leaving.

All it shows is he had maybe 5 good games in 3 or 4 years

He was one of Sportings outstanding players when he went out there on loan in the LVG era. Matter of fact he scored mostly worldies while there and he was one of their players with most assists. Nani has scored 42 goals in all comps since leaving United. Your criticisms over his contributions post United are way off.

Urg, whatever you just described Rafael and Nani was applicable to Zaha (non factor) and Evans (injury prone) in the immediate period prior to them getting shipped out.

Zaha barely got a run in though. Nani was not the same since that Carragher injury and should’ve probably been shippped out sooner. Rafaels injury woes speak for themselves

That’s just not true at all Memphis looked way out of his depth here. You can count the number of good games Memphis had with us on one hand

I'm still pleased we got shot of him. Never seemed particularly talented, chips in with goals but not much else beside. Nani on the other hand was excellent.

I really can't believe people who say we shouldn't have gotten rid. He was garbage here and some decent goals in the french league proves nothing. Martial is scoring goals every other week and questions are raised about him, yet people want Depay a guy who was crap against top opposition.
Memphis is just one of the many ex United players who will continue to show us "what we are missing" with every goal/assist. If I asked people, what parts of his game have improved, I would get few answers

Watching highlights like that shows why someone like Memphis used to play for us. Then you watch him over a few games, and then you know why he used to play for us.

He has glimpses of absolute geinius and that's about it. To be a number 7 he had to bring more. Lyon will hopefully get the best out of him and perhaps the late bloomer trait will reveal itself in his game after few more years.

This springs to mind every time I hear his name. Probably the most brainless play by any United player in the last 5 years, which is quite the performance considering all the shambolic games and negative records we've broken in that period.

He lacked basic football understanding and was out of his depth every time he wasn't playing rubbish EL opposition. So good that we aren't putting up with mediocrity anymore.

This springs to mind every time I hear his name. Probably the most brainless play by any United player in the last 5 years, which is quite the performance considering all the shambolic games and negative records we've broken in that period.

He lacked basic football understanding and was out of his depth every time he wasn't playing rubbish EL opposition. So good that we aren't putting up with mediocrity anymore.

I forgot this even happened :lol:

I forgot all about that but my word it was dire :lol:

Seen him quite a bit in the French league this season and he is never a Manchester United player. Largely anonymous during matches. Loses the ball often. Yes he is capable of scoring a screamer, but nowhere near good enough for the top top clubs

Zaha barely got a run in though. Nani was not the same since that Carragher injury and should’ve probably been shippped out sooner. Rafaels injury woes speak for themselves
I remember watching Zaha on loan with OGS at Cardiff, definitely not performing at United level back then. Even lazy for Cardiff standard (relegation battler), let alone us. One thing Moyes I had to put my hand up and agreeing with him. Game time needs to be earned. It's not charity.

Rafael injury record ain't much worse than Evans. How a defender who is supposed to less physical reliant getting so much injury is mind boggling

I remember watching Zaha on loan with OGS at Cardiff, definitely not performing at United level back then. Even lazy for Cardiff standard (relegation battler), let alone us. One thing Moyes I had to put my hand up and agreeing with him. Game time needs to be earned. It's not charity.

Rafael injury record ain't much worse than Evans. How a defender who is supposed to less physical reliant getting so much injury is mind boggling

True can’t argue with much of what you said. I wasn’t much of an Evans fan but I’d have him over Lindelof now. Zaha did have some issues iirc but compared to Nani who just seemed to mentally shut down after Carraghers tackle I’d have him. Don’t know why anybody would’ve kept Nani as good as he was for a couple of seasons

True can’t argue with much of what you said. I wasn’t much of an Evans fan but I’d have him over Lindelof now. Zaha did have some issues iirc but compared to Nani who just seemed to mentally shut down after Carraghers tackle I’d have him. Don’t know why anybody would’ve kept Nani as good as he was for a couple of seasons
So in the end, it's opinion matter, so I can't say your opinion is wrong. Just different people have different perspective on the matter

IMO I think Nani still had more to offer than Zaha at that time despite no longer getting back to the level prior to that tackle. Evans - Lindelof is now reverse of Nani-Zaha situation. Evans is better right now, but arguably there is not much room to grow, and his fitness ain't much better than when he's with us, in context of WestBrom doesn't go far in domestic cup nor playing in Europe. Lindelof has potential to match Evans' peak. Evans wouldn't be that cheap either

Is this based on his clothes and the Rolls or is there more to it? I've never understood how an athletes taste in clothes or cars could affect their career? If they eat a snickers for lunch every day or party 4 nights/week then sure, but having flashy things can surely not be considered to be a career killer can it?

You've obviously never heard of George Best then?

People complaining don't watch Lyon's matches.
He's not pulling up any trees.

I refer to the comment posted by Zlaatan, 'but having flashy things cannot be considered a career killer can it?' I say it totally can. The George Best example is quite extreme but he's still someone who's game succumbed to flashy things. United fans were robbed of his talents due to his early retirement from the game and it was down to his lifestyle - I.E - flashy clothes, flashy hair, flashy bars, flashy clothes shops on Shude Hill. Do you get it?

Don't worry, I've taken some time to watch some Lyon games. He's still a average player who does just enough to make a decent youtube compilation.

I refer to the comment posted by Zlaatan, 'but having flashy things cannot be considered a career killer can it?' I say it totally can. The George Best example is quite extreme but he's still someone who's game succumbed to flashy things. United fans were robbed of his talents due to his early retirement from the game and it was down to his lifestyle - I.E - flashy clothes, flashy hair, flashy bars, flashy clothes shops on Shude Hill. Do you get it?
Best was an alcoholic, read his post again and pay attention.