Memphis Depay | Corinthians player

Thats the goals he scored for PSV but never worked here due to having decent GKs in goal

Indeed.
Basically, his level did not dip when he was at MUFC. The problem was that the level of opposition increased.
So, when he went up against the likes of Midgyland or Brugge, he was actually very good. The moment he faced EPL opposition, his skills did not work.
In any case, I'm glad that it's working out for him in France. The EPL was a step too far.

Indeed.
Basically, his level did not dip when he was at MUFC. The problem was that the level of opposition increased.
So, when he went up against the likes of Midgyland or Brugge, he was actually very good. The moment he faced EPL opposition, his skills did not work.
In any case, I'm glad that it's working out for him in France. The EPL was a step too far.
Pretty much this. The funny thing is he's had some great games for holland against big sides like Spain or Italy, in friendlies, but in official games he sucks for them

United should have bought Kasper Dollberg instead of Memphis. Memphis always seemed to me like some sort of dutch Robinho. Has good skills and tricks but cannot play well when the lights shine the brightest. Dollberg looks like world class stuff...

He was actually Lyon's best player against Angers. Certainly the best I've seen him play in a while. I know it's Lyon fans but Lyon were hard done by with the result as the red card royally screwed them.

United should have bought Kasper Dollberg instead of Memphis. Memphis always seemed to me like some sort of dutch Robinho. Has good skills and tricks but cannot play well when the lights shine the brightest. Dollberg looks like world class stuff...

Wasn't Dolberg like 16/17 when we brought Depay in?

Hope Depay does well, he came across well in interviews and spoke of his desire to improve and be the best he can be.

Shame for him, I think he was set back by Van Gaal (who basically set every player back in his time here by his style/tactics) and lack of belief from managers. He could have made it here, but wasn't to be.

Hope Depay does well, he came across well in interviews and spoke of his desire to improve and be the best he can be.

Shame for him, I think he was set back by Van Gaal (who basically set every player back in his time here by his style/tactics) and lack of belief from managers. He could have made it here, but wasn't to be.
He didnt fit that van Gaal team at all and now his confidence is completely shot, Mou would have made a better player out of him and he'd fit this counter attacking team better. But Rashford and Martial are far better players so no loss really.

Well LVG didn't exactly set back Martial or Rashford in all fairness.

Depay to me comes across too much like a knob. Isn't he widely reported to be quite disrespectful? (eg.the van persie bust up with the Dutch team?)

His attitude has also come under much scrutiny and criticism. I never rated him and didn't think much of his work rate either. It's little surprise he's struggling out with Lyon.

I dont believe V Gaal set him back at all, both Martial and Rashford looked a million times better than Memphis whenever they got a game. He just wasn’t good enough it’s that simple really, he had plenty of chances and completely blew the lot baring his first couple of games. He was fecking useless if I’m being honest.

That game where he came off the bench and attempted a diving header back pass and completely fecked it up leading to a conceded goal...Jesus Christ I’m still cringing now.

It didn’t help with him liking the ‘high life’ wank performances on the pitch then he walks around town as if he’s Ronaldo#2 he just comes across as unlikable.

I dont believe V Gaal set him back at all, both Martial and Rashford looked a million times better than Memphis whenever they got a game. He just wasn’t good enough it’s that simple really, he had plenty of chances and completely blew the lot baring his first couple of games. He was fecking useless if I’m being honest.

That game where he came off the bench and attempted a diving header back pass and completely fecked it up leading to a conceded goal...Jesus Christ I’m still cringing now.

It didn’t help with him liking the ‘high life’ wank performances on the pitch then he walks around town as if he’s Ronaldo#2 he just comes across as unlikable.

This has affected people opinion of him massively. He earns the money so why shouldn't he spend it? If he likes to spend his money on fast cars and designer clothes that's his prerogative. That doesn't mean he thinks he's Ronaldo mk 2, in fact that's almost the opposite of how Ronaldo comes across.

This has affected people opinion of him massively. He earns the money so why shouldn't he spend it? If he likes to spend his money on fast cars and designer clothes that's his prerogative. That doesn't mean he thinks he's Ronaldo mk 2, in fact that's almost the opposite of how Ronaldo comes across.

You're right that it's up to anybody how they spend their own money if they've earned it.

I disagree that Ronaldo isn't flashy though. It's hard to forget his Ferrari crash, modelling his own underwear line, the aftershave endorsements and the constant posing.

How was he set back ?

By Van Gaal's negative keep ball approach. Depay is an attacking flair player, something LVG restricted throughout the whole team. Our style of play was dreadful in this period, our attackers stood very little chance of being creative and affecting the game.

Depays failure to make it here isn't wholly down to this however, he could have done more to influence games etc, I just feel that his transition from being the main player in a team at PSV, to being rotation coupled with LVG;s tactics and a much harder league in the premiership set him back.

He came, he tried, he's moved on. I wish him well, he's a talent. Maybe a level below UTD on reflection but a good player nonetheless

By Van Gaal's negative keep ball approach. Depay is an attacking flair player, something LVG restricted throughout the whole team. Our style of play was dreadful in this period, our attackers stood very little chance of being creative and affecting the game.

Depays failure to make it here isn't wholly down to this however, he could have done more to influence games etc, I just feel that his transition from being the main player in a team at PSV, to being rotation coupled with LVG;s tactics and a much harder league in the premiership set him back.

He came, he tried, he's moved on. I wish him well, he's a talent. Maybe a level below UTD on reflection but a good player nonetheless

For someone restricted, he sure as hell attempted a surprisingly high amount of shots from poor positions, not to mention how much he roamed around.

Dolberg really doesn't look like world class - I have no idea how he has earned this reputation to be honest. He is still very young at 19, but he has failed to take the next needed step and I fail to see what he is really exceptional at. There is a reason why no top club took a punt at him this summer, he hasn't established himself at that level where you think he is going to be a sure bet. 19 is young, but remember that Rashford is younger by a couple of weeks and he is light-years ahead. Gabriel Jesus is six months older, cannot be compared. Dolberg is over a year older than Kylian Mbappe (!) - so I would bare careful with the world class-stuff. Dolberg was great last year given his age, but now that his team is a bit weaker you see that he cannot carry them by himself in a very poor league. 0 goals in 5 league games, although I cannot bother to check if he has played a lot of minutes. Also goalless in four games in Europe.

You're right that it's up to anybody how they spend their own money if they've earned it.

I disagree that Ronaldo isn't flashy though. It's hard to forget his Ferrari crash, modelling his own underwear line, the aftershave endorsements and the constant posing.

Ronnie wasn't the diva now when he started out at United, no way. Compared to Memphis, it's night and day. Ronnie earned his endorsements ny being the best player on the planet with Messi for years and years.

We should have Mane instead of Depay..

Dolberg really doesn't look like world class - I have no idea how he has earned this reputation to be honest. He is still very young at 19, but he has failed to take the next needed step and I fail to see what he is really exceptional at. There is a reason why no top club took a punt at him this summer, he hasn't established himself at that level where you think he is going to be a sure bet. 19 is young, but remember that Rashford is younger by a couple of weeks and he is light-years ahead. Gabriel Jesus is six months older, cannot be compared. Dolberg is over a year older than Kylian Mbappe (!) - so I would bare careful with the world class-stuff. Dolberg was great last year given his age, but now that his team is a bit weaker you see that he cannot carry them by himself in a very poor league. 0 goals in 5 league games, although I cannot bother to check if he has played a lot of minutes. Also goalless in four games in Europe.

Have you seen much of his play, or are you just basing this on one feckless match against United?

Here's a compilation that shows how well rounded his ability-set is for a number 9:

[I apparently can't post links to youtube videos yet, so search for "Kasper Dolberg 2017 ● Goals/Skills & Assists ● The Next Big Thing || HD" on youtube, or if someone else could post it if they find my comment interesting enough, that would be of course be great, the youtube url is TL3kuYsL1o8]

As an Ajax fan he's the first-team talent I've had the most faith in in years. He always does something at least useful when he receives the ball (as in he's often great, but always makes at least a decent decision and executes it well), but this season the team set-up has changed significantly in a way that completely isolates him, instead of trying to get the most out of our most talented player. He has a quiet character, which works in his favour when he gets in good positions, but it also means he goes missing when the team isn't getting to him.

He is out of form a bit this season, but tactically we've harmed his performance with Bosz leaving because our defensive line has moved backwards, which in buildup means the balls he gets from the back are over a greater distance, so less accurate and take longer, thereby making it easier for the defenders. Sanchez went to Spurs, and he had a very good low hard pass into Dolberg (though this pass wasn't on in the EL final and Sanchez struggled with that). Further we've moved from Bosz systems of the fullbacks coming inside as extra midfielders in possession, to Keizer's more traditional approach of wide fullbacks overlapping the wingers (though Veltman doesn't seem to get this on the right side). On the left however, our fullback so far has been Dijks, who can't give an accurate cross to save his life. This system means that Dolberg in the centre is now competing for space with the wingers who roam inwards to make space for the fullbacks, and the defenders they drag with them, and doesn't have the fullbacks in the half-zones behind/between the wingers and himself. So what you see is wingers and their defenders near him in the centre, fullbacks wide and high on the outsides, and then only two midfield halves in the space behind. So there's a lack of players near him with the ball at their feet that he could get it from, and a lack of space for him to move into to receive it.

Edit: your point about no top club taking a punt, Ajax reportedly turned down a €50m bid from Monaco in the last week or so of the transfer window

Last edited:
Reactions: KM
United should have bought Kasper Dollberg instead of Memphis.
This makes no sense. Dolberg was an unproven 17-year-old, who had, at the time we signed Memphis, already agreed to join Ajax that summer. Memphis was an established starter coming off an impressive season.

Even if Dolberg had been available, it wouldn't have been a case of either-or. Memphis was meant for the first-team squad, Dolberg would be signed as a prospect.

But Renaldo has more talent in his little toe than Depay has in his whole body.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...Liverpool-win-Monday-night-clash-Anfield.html

Apparently not, I remember at the time him being interviewed about it.

Semi true..

Ronald Koeman was not happy with all the rumours because he wanted me to stay, but it was not too complicated because for me, also, it was not time to go. When I spoke to him I told him, 'No problem, I will stay'. It was my decision. I wanted to stay at Southampton.

'I was patient because I remember after the first year [in England] I knew it was better to focus on Southampton. In my head I thought I would be there a couple more years and prove something. I was convinced I still had to prove something, improve more and learn more before I moved to a bigger club. But then I knew when the right time was for me. The extra year helped me get better, and it is important for every player to go step by step.

'It was only when Liverpool came in [in June] that I never had a second thought and knew I wanted to join.

'It was different because then was the right moment for me. I finally came to Liverpool and I was happy with that, and now I'm happy I am playing against Manchester United.'

United didn't come in for him again as they signed Depay.

He just didn't feel ready to leave Southampton at that particular point. If united had waited who knows.

It's made out he didn't want to sign for the club and picked Liverpool which is false.