Memphis Depay | Corinthians player

People have a really strange attitude towards rap & base lots of perceptions of people on it.

Strange comments in this thread.

exactly. the "yo yo yo" posts in here are so embarrassing. let the boy live his life
I doubt Depay has put his life on hold until he gets approval from redcafe to continue making rap videos. He is living his life, and people - as is their right in a world of free speech - are mocking his shit videos. No harm in it.

People have a really strange attitude towards rap & base lots of perceptions of people on it.

Do you think there would be less mockery of it if Michael Carrick released videos of himself recording a country and western album?

Black footballers are constantly the source of racial undertones, with tattoos, cars, music taste and gangsta' image being oft-parroted remarks in relation to how daft or immature they are.

The fecking state of comparing Carrick and country and western.

Do you think there would be less mockery of it if Michael Carrick released videos of himself recording a country and western album?

It's not so much the fact that there is mockery - that's to be expected, but I don't think people would make assumptions about Carrick's persona if he did make a country & western album.

Black footballers are constantly the source of racial undertones, with tattoos, cars, music taste and gangsta' image being oft-parroted remarks in relation to how daft or immature they are.

Yep, Pogba & Sterling being prime candidates for this to happen to.

They certainly are at times but that doesn't make any mockery inherently racist.

It's not so much the fact that there is mockery - that's to be expected, but I don't think people would make assumptions about Carrick's persona if he did make a country & western album.

Yep, Pogba & Sterling being prime candidates for this to happen to.
I'd say they definitely would. It would just be a different assumption. A lot comes down to the individual as well. I don't recall there being the same level of derision for Andy Cole for example. People just thought it was shit. I could be wrong given it was a long time ago though.

Not sure what I am supposed to be imagining. What would he do?

Andy Cole released the terrible 'Outstanding' whilst under Fergie's management. Rio had that 'Merked' TV show which was appalling, among other non-football ventures. The whole club did that godawful dance pop track, Move Move Move.

I don't remember Fergie ever laying the proverbial smackdown on young lads doing what young lads do outside of football.
I wasn't so much referring to him making a music video, I was referring to the excessive showing of wealth. Fergie banned personal cars at the training ground don't forget, he told everyone they had to drive the company sponsors instead. Plus, I would presume that the other guy in the video is actually a music artist? We all know how it ended for Beckham when Ferguson felt he was more interested in becoming famous than playing football. I'm not saying that's what Memphis is trying to do but he does a awful lot of this posturing on social media in an attempt to raise his profile.

I wasn't so much referring to him making a music video, I was referring to the excessive showing of wealth. Fergie banned personal cars at the training ground don't forget, he told everyone they had to drive the company sponsors instead. Plus, I would presume that the other guy in the video is actually a music artist? We all know how it ended for Beckham when Ferguson felt he was more interested in becoming famous than playing football. I'm not saying that's what Memphis is trying to do but he does a awful lot of this posturing on social media in an attempt to raise his profile.

I'm fairly sure that it was for marketing reasons and I'm fairly sure that United players went to training with their personal cars too. I distinctly remember Land Rovers.

My understanding of that was that Chevy gave the team company cars 2 years before they became the shirt sponsors, and Fergie banned the U21 from driving the Corvettes. He didn't ban personal cars, as far as I am aware.

Beckham was a bit of a rogue in that respect, as there weren't very many rockstar footballers like him then, but that was a different time. In the modern game, a huge amount of players put a focus on bolstering their own brand and profile. If Fergie managed the likes of Memphis, Pogba and whoever else, he would be the one who would have to adapt, rather than the players. Either that, or just ignore it.

If he was downing pints in the pub with his friends all these guys would be talking about what a top lad he is thats it. People have a different perspective on how he should behave because they never grew up a black man. People are just uncomfortable around/looking at black people because they are racist and/or scared and they dont know it.

Rio Ferdinand had his own tv show, his own record label, his own magazine, shot a documentary and was a movie producer when he was winning league titles with us. I wish it went better with Memphis when he was with us but, I will always root for him.

My favorite one is: "he(random black player)has a low (((football))) IQ".....

Or when people are analysing some big-afro midfielder/defender, in general they will say he lacks positioning sense, or is bad in decision making, even when they recognize barely saw the guy playing; then if is an athlete that you know very well, you can see why they assume some specific kind of players dont have "game-intelligence".

I'm not generalizing here, and in the majority of cases apparently is uncoscious.

My favorite one is: "he(random black player)has a low (((football))) IQ".....

Or when people are analysing some big-afro midfielder/defender, in general they will say he lacks positioning sense, or is bad in decision making, even when they recognize barely saw the guy playing; then if is an athlete that you know very well, you can see why they assume some specific kind of players dont have "game-intelligence".

I'm not generalizing here, and in the majority of cases apparently is unconscious.
And he (insert player) has a bad attitude

Agreed. It's ridiculous. Unless what they're doing is 'wrong' from a legal perspective or maybe moral and doesn't have an impact on their performance like say excessive drinking why do you care? It's not my cup of tea but there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Exactly. I doubt Lyon fans care at all either. Our fans are just hurt that we are still a bit crap and want to blame anyone they can. Pity it didn't work out for him here. He handled it well though. There's a buy back clause with him whereas adnan, who we a did a lot more for by training him for a few years and giving him his start, apparently wants no buy back clause etc. Depay actually seems like a decent sort. It's always rough watching players flop, especially young players that were majorly built up. Don't hate someone just because they like stuff you don't.

Nah that's Quincy Promes. He plays for PSV.

I doubt Depay has put his life on hold until he gets approval from redcafe to continue making rap videos. He is living his life, and people - as is their right in a world of free speech - are mocking his shit videos. No harm in it.

except, as its been mentioned in this thread, more often than not, especially when in relation to black players and/or hip-hop, said mockery has racial undertones. look at the depay video posted in this thread and there's no instance of "yo", yet that's what at least two posts in this thread translated it to. now you could choose to be obtuse and act like the "yo yo yo" is not a stereotype and crutch people resort to to make fun of the way some people supposedly talk. either way, its corny, and redcafe is hardly an authority on what a good music video is/should be like.

I'd say they definitely would. It would just be a different assumption. A lot comes down to the individual as well. I don't recall there being the same level of derision for Andy Cole for example. People just thought it was shit. I could be wrong given it was a long time ago though.

That's the thing - it should come down to the individual, but more often than not it doesn't.
Black players are usually lumped into the same stereotypical bubble that they are 'gangsta' just because they enjoy rap music, or have different hairstyles, clothing etc.

Plus Cole didn't grow up in the era with social media, so it's not a fair comparison considering none of us really had a glimpse into the lives of footballers back then until Beckham really.

It's not really about the music they produce - lets be honest, it's not gonna win any grammies. It's more so about the perception that gets immediately associated with them, and their skin colour plays a huge part in that.

That's the thing - it should come down to the individual, but more often than not it doesn't.
Black players are usually lumped into the same stereotypical bubble that they are 'gangsta' just because they enjoy rap music, or have different hairstyles, clothing etc.

Plus Cole didn't grow up in the era with social media, so it's not a fair comparison considering none of us really had a glimpse into the lives of footballers back then until Beckham really.

It's not really about the music they produce - lets be honest, it's not gonna win any grammies. It's more so about the perception that gets immediately associated with them, and their skin colour plays a huge part in that.
Is 'gangsta' not part of the culture of rap music though? There are definitely media outlets that unfairly target some black footballers. The Sun's obsession with the fact Raheem Sterling bought his mum a house being the most blatant example. In Depay's case I don't think the majority of criticism stems from him being black or liking rap music and more on the fact that they think he's a dick. Plenty of footballers regardless of race are considered dicks though.

Is 'gangsta' not part of the culture of rap music though? There are definitely media outlets that unfairly target some black footballers. The Sun's obsession with the fact Raheem Sterling bought his mum a house being the most blatant example. In Depay's case I don't think the majority of criticism stems from him being black or liking rap music and more on the fact that they think he's a dick. Plenty of footballers regardless of race are considered dicks though.

Of course it is. Snoop Dogg bizarrely claimed that 'Scarface was my bible growing up' and I had a 50 Cent video back in the day where him and Eminem greeted each other by saying 'how's it goin, keeping it gangsta'. Memphis has a Diamond encrusted Rolex and chain hanging of a Rollers emblem or something at the start of that video, playing up to the flaunting of wealth associated with the 'gangsta' lifestyle.

get a grip. The lads on holiday enjoying being fecking 22 years old. He's a footballer not a politicians son
I wasn't questioning his choices or what he does with his life, nor do I actually care. If he wants to make music videos and be a rapper, he's more than free to do so without my judgement. However, SAF wouldn't have been impressed with the exuberant flaunting of wealth in the video nor the 'I've made it, I'm a big shot' perception these things tend to give off. We all know he didn't like that kind of thing.

Gangsta is part of the culture (why its like that is part of a different discussion) but being described as a gangsta purely because you enjoy the hip hop culture is derogatory.

I wasn't questioning his choices or what he does with his life, nor do I actually care. If he wants to make music videos and be a rapper, he's more than free to do so without my judgement. However, SAF wouldn't have been impressed with the exuberant flaunting of wealth in the video nor the 'I've made it, I'm a big shot' perception these things tend to give off. We all know he didn't like that kind of thing.

Fergie retired 4 years ago, stop thinking about 'what would fergie do?!'
Let it go, let's move on.

Of course it is. Snoop Dogg bizarrely claimed that 'Scarface was my bible growing up' and I had a 50 Cent video back in the day where him and Eminem greeted each other by saying 'how's it goin, keeping it gangsta'. Memphis has a Diamond encrusted Rolex and chain hanging of a Rollers emblem or something at the start of that video, playing up to the flaunting of wealth associated with the 'gangsta' lifestyle.
Jesus Christ.

Flaunting wealth doesn't make one a "gangsta" and not all rappers or rap music is centered on being a "gangsta".

Jesus Christ.

Flaunting wealth doesn't make one a "gangsta" and not all rappers or rap music is centered on being a "gangsta".

You could argue that Drake, Kendrick Lamar, J Cole, Kanye West and Chance the Rapper are the most popular rappers currently in not one of them makes "Gangsta" rap.

Jesus Christ.

Are you really saying that flaunting wealth is not a part of bring 'gansta'? And I never said that rap music is all centred on being 'gangsta'. My point was more that implying that calling someone 'gangsta' is a derogatory or racist is nonsense, it is quite a fashionable part of popular culture.

Are you really saying that flaunting wealth is not a part of bring 'gansta'? And I never said that rap music is all centred on being 'gangsta'. My point was more that implying that calling someone 'gangsta' is a derogatory or racist is nonsense, it is quite a fashionable part of popular culture.

Would you have called Beckham or Ronaldo a "gangsta"? Flaunting wealth doesn't automatically qualify someone as such.

Would you have called Beckham or Ronaldo a "gangsta"? Flaunting wealth doesn't automatically qualify someone as such.

I don't recall Ronaldo or Beckham wrapping diamond encrusted watches and massive chains around roller emblems.

Personally don't care what Ronaldo or Memphis get up to but people are going to find some of the some of things they do cringey, just like they did with Jese's music video (I actually thought that one was fairly decent considering). Finding Memphis cringey and/or embarrassing isn't racist.

Lighten up dude. This is not a serious thread. We are just having a laugh at the expense of the footballer, turned rapper. ;)

My god. The things people say, and they actually believe it.

In all honesty, footballers actually making rap videos usually doesn't mean they'll set the world of football alight in the near future (going by other examples, like Jesé). That can be criticized, as in, maybe, footballers not putting their all in football itself.

Gangsta is part of the culture (why its like that is part of a different discussion) but being described as a gangsta purely because you enjoy the hip hop culture is derogatory.

Fergie retired 4 years ago, stop thinking about 'what would fergie do?!'
Let it go, let's move on.
Jesus Christ, you've had a nightmare here. At no point during that sentence did I long for Fergie to come back and give the lad a bollocking.

They would pretend it was good, hail him as one of the best in the modern era and blame his record label every time one of his songs tanks.

In all honesty, footballers actually making rap videos usually doesn't mean they'll set the world of football alight in the near future (going by other examples, like Jesé). That can be criticized, as in, maybe, footballers not putting their all in football itself.

Footballers making rap videos are just that. They're making rap videos.
In football there probably isn't a large pool to choose from but take the NBA - Shaquille O'Neal, Kobe, Damien Lillard, Charles Barkley, Tony Parker. Mayweather made a few rap videos, Roy Jones J etc I could go on.
And all of those examples have had, or still have fantastic careers.

People can make music & still be a professional athlete, and it doesn't mean their attention is shifting from whatever sport they're in.
And of course we can critcise the music they make if its crap, but I just don't get the stereotypes being brought in unnecessarily.

Jesus Christ, you've had a nightmare here. At no point during that sentence did I long for Fergie to come back and give the lad a bollocking.

I never said you wanted Fergie to give him a bollocking.
But you random brought Fergie in to the conversation which is why I said let it go.