Memphis Depay | Corinthians player

Today will give a better indication of what his level really is (if he starts). He doesnt have to score a goal or assist per se but this is his biggest test so far away at PSG, probably the 2nd toughest match for a French team against Meunier/Aurier 2 good right backs. Will be interesting.

That is a fantastic attitude. Very rare you hear modern day young players with that level of self awareness.

He has unfinished business here, doesn't want to burn bridges in case he ever gets another chance to get back here

His overall play is still not that great but the defense makes him look good. The difference between him and Martial in terms of technique is so huge that it's surprising how people are still having regrets over selling Depay.

Is anybody having regrets over selling him? Based on what?
The guy has 1 good against terrible opposition. I expected this.
His problem was never against Brugge, Midgetland, Shrewsbury or a team like Toulouse. His problem was when he faced a good defence, he was useless. And I do mean, "useless".

I wouldn't take him back if Lyon offered him for free. He isn't a EPL class player. Championship maybe, but certainly not EPL.

There is a fair chunk of middle ground between being good enough to improve United, and being "Championship quality".

He's playing well for one of the top sides in a league much, much stronger than the Championship, a league that has vastly improved in the last few years, but yeah, he's Championship quality.

:wenger:

Based on this first half against PSG...nothing has changed, he still can't dribble.

He plays good game against fullbacks slower than him, problem is he isnt that quick at all. I think Lyon will be his max level.

Yeah, unimpressive first half. Lost his balance completely in a 1v1 with Kevin Trapp.

Typical Memphis vs good team performance

That's exactly how I will remember him in Manchester United shirt!

Hope he keeps improving at Lyon, even it sounds like he's had a setback tonight. I don't think he'll make an impact at the very highest level, but you never know.

Hes not championship level, hes clearly PL level, but not Man utd level, a team with league winning and european elite football aspirations. Stop the freaking ridiculous hyperboles.

He will do just fine at Lyon and if he can sort out his mentality he may have another try at an elite team but otherwise he has the talent to have a pretty decent career but not at the heights of a Hazard level.

Reactions: sizzling sausages
The kid has come out and said he wasn't good enough to make it at United. I mean that's some unheard of humility from a porfessional footballer. Especially one who has a reputation for being "flash". He's a good kid, and I hope he does really well. I think he's just a tier below elite level but can have an excellent career in any one of Europe's second tier leagues - France, Portugal, Netherlands, and perhaps Italy. Due to his lack of pace and the time and space he needs to thrive, I think he'll struggle to ever make a significant impact in England, Spain or Germany. But I could be wrong. He's still young.

And as always it goes a bit like this.

Player is shite - > player is fecked off from club - player is still shite - > has a good performance - fans starts moaning about why he was sold.

It's bizarre. He clearly has an issue performing in the big games against big teams, and even frequently against midtable clubs. It's like people believe their beliefs of him more than what they actually see with their eyes.

Something tells me he might turn out to be a striker. As a winger he is way too predictable with his movements.

Typical Memphis vs good team performance

That's exactly what did when he played for us and how I expect him to do against decent opposition.
He will destroy lower skilled defences, though....just as he did when he was at MUFC and when he played for PSV.

So predictable. Another glaring example of how it wasn't his confidence that was the issue but his quality. No doubt the next time he has a good game people will jump back on the he's a confidence player bandwagon.

In terms of his recent form in France, one bad half would seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

Yet the digs are flying in based on a gif. "I told you he was shite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Conversely, I bet half of you go to the ends of the earth to excuse away poor performances of Martial, Shaw or a few others this year.

Classic Redcafe.

In terms of his recent form in France, one bad half would seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

Yet the digs are flying in based on a gif. "I told you he was shite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Conversely, I bet half of you go to the ends of the earth to excuse away poor performances of Martial, Shaw or a few others this year.

Classic Redcafe.

Martial pretty much carried our attack on his own last year, Memphis was woeful pretty much every time he set foot on the pitch with a few exceptions against terrible teams

I'm not saying hes as shite as some here claimed, hes obviously better than championship level, but he was really bad as a Man Utd player and we were right to get rid of him. He's not the first and will not be the last player that has looked great in one club and completely failed at another

Martial pretty much carried our attack on his own last year, Memphis was woeful pretty much every time he set foot on the pitch with a few exceptions against terrible teams

I'm not saying hes as shite as some here claimed, hes obviously better than championship level, but he was really bad as a Man Utd player and we were right to get rid of him. He's not the first and will not be the last player that has looked great in one club and completely failed at another

All true and not my issue.

Players just don't work out at certain clubs and some go on to have great careers elsewhere, Forlan for example.

However people clamouring to detract from his good form in Ligue 1 after a poor game against the best team in the league, to vindicate an opinion that no one is really arguing is small time and lacks objectivity or reasonableness.

Is it that hard to wish the player well and be glad to see him doing well (broadly). Seemingly looking like king dick on Redcafe is more important.

That's exactly what did when he played for us and how I expect him to do against decent opposition.
He will destroy lower skilled defences, though....just as he did when he was at MUFC and when he played for PSV.
What does opposition have to do with touching the ball in the wrong way? The defence of PSG didn't do anything, they just stood there, and if Memphis touched it properly he had a shooting chance for his right foot.

Something tells me he might turn out to be a striker. As a winger he is way too predictable with his movements.
IMO he was always best down the middle. His movement off the ball is actually very good IMO, and he backs into players and holds the ball up well. It's just his initial acceleration with the ball that really lets him down.

As mentioned by others as soon as he comes up with somebody who matches him physically he runs out of ideas.

The fact is though at Lyon he can put in a bit of a stinker and the fans won't get on his back as much, it won't dent his confidence quite as badly.

He was poor vs. PSG yesterday. Arurier shut him down completely on the left. He looked heavy on his feet, squandered that awesome chance he had as well.

Good dribbles but then fecks it up. Basically the Dutch Zaha.

Anyone seen his idiotic tweet?

Why would you do that. Then they get turned over 4-1.

No wonder we moved him on.

Where was Rafa?

He'd have chinned the lot of 'em on his own.

rafsil.jpg