Memphis Depay | Corinthians player

Memphis was always phenomenal against lower quality opposition.
He was fantastic in Holland. Dutch player of year.
When we played Midgetland, Shrewsbury, Brugge - fantastic. He terrorised their defenders.
So the fact that he did well against Toulouse comes as not surprise.
Put him up against an EPL team, and you'll see him immediately turn to crap.

So, he scores 1 goal from the half way line and you are now thinking about buying him back. :wenger:
I wouldn't buy him if he was offered to us for £1.
He isn't good enough to play in the EPL and if he moved to a club in the EPL, he'd be crap...just as he was for us.

Exactly. He's able to use his physical prowess in lower leagues to dominate opponents and get more time on the ball. In the PL teams deal easily with that approach.

He had flair but his control and technique weren't there. Even in that rabona video above he's not exactly doing it with finesse.

Just because he failed here means he is a rubbish player? And all that criticism after him scoring an outrageous goal? I mean, there is even a post criticizing him for scoring from the halfway line. This place is awful, so much bitterness going around in every thread.

He is a good player that simply didn't work out with us. That doesn't mean we are wrong to sell him or he is a shit player. Sometimes things just never work out.

That goal was outrageous :eek:

Always knew he was a great player. Shame it didn't work out here. I still think we'll buy him back as long as keeps performing like this.

Glad he's doing well at Lyon, great second goal. Maybe shows people his struggles here weren't an attitude problem but just not being good enough through no fault of his own. Still don't want him back here though, he hasn't got the pace or trickery to succeed as a winger nor the intelligence to play a more central role.

Exactly. He's able to use his physical prowess in lower leagues to dominate opponents and get more time on the ball. In the PL teams deal easily with that approach.

He had flair but his control and technique weren't there. Even in that rabona video above he's not exactly doing it with finesse.
But you guys are basing your entire opinion on +- 30 matches, how come he did so well in Europe for PSV or even at the World Cup for Holland? Not everyone acclamatices like Martial and plays his own game regardless (even he is struggling). He was poor but to be honest, the conditions were even worse last season than they are now with LvG football which doesnt suit an opportunistic player like him at all. You may be right that he'll never be good enough to play in the EPL but it's a bit premature. He wasnt good enough last season yes, but who knows how he will develop. Still very young.

But you guys are basing your entire opinion on +- 30 matches, how come he did so well in Europe for PSV or even at the World Cup for Holland? Not everyone acclamatices like Martial and plays his own game regardless (even he is struggling). He was poor but to be honest, the conditions were even worse last season than they are now with LvG football which doesnt suit an opportunistic player like him at all. You may be right that he'll never be good enough to play in the EPL but it's a bit premature. He wasnt good enough last season yes, but who knows how he will develop. Still very young.
He played more than 50 matches for United had more than enough games to prove his worth

He played more than 50 matches for United had more than enough games to prove his worth
And how many were full? I'll be the first to admit he was poor for us but it seems premature for me to say he can never play in the EPL.

He played in 50 matches over 2 seasons in general, but he was quite good in Europe so purely talking about his PL performances he had exactly 16 starts. And thats enough for a young player with potential to say he can never play in the PL and when he comes back he's shit guaranteed. For me if he can work on his handling speed and improve his quickness, in a well-machined team I think he could do a job. But those are big ifs and depends on his development.

Last edited:
And how many were full? I'll be the first to admit he was poor for us but it seems premature for me to say he can never play in the EPL.

He played in 50 matches over 2 seasons in general, but he was quite good in Europe so purely talking about his PL performances he had exactly 16 starts. And thats enough for a young player with potential to say he can never play in the PL and when he comes back he's shit guaranteed. For me if he can work on his handling speed and improve his quickness, in a well-machined team I think he could do a job. But those are big ifs and depends on his development.
Really? Did u only watch the UCL 4th round KO vs Brugge and the EL match vs Midtjylland? Overall he was average

He was playing in Europe against the likes of Estoril and Soligorsk. They're all the FC Midjtyllands of that respective year.

In the WC he scored against Australia and Chile. When they met real opponents in Argentina and Brazil he was on the bench.

Everything points to that being his level, which is fine, he will make a good career out of it. He seems like he prefers that. I don't see him accepting a spot at a lower Prem team and he's not good enough for a top team.

Memphis is a confidence player. Simple as that. The ability is definitely there but you have to question his mental strength

That being said, we dont really help at OT. Ive seen posts on the negative impact of our fans before at home and I agree. We have become lazy and spoilt and whenever a player tries something which doesnt come off the crowd are straight on at them

Shows what confidence can do for you.

Memphis has loads of talent it just never happened for him here.

He was playing in Europe against the likes of Estoril and Soligorsk. They're all the FC Midjtyllands of that respective year.

In the WC he scored against Australia and Chile. When they met real opponents in Argentina and Brazil he was on the bench.

Everything points to that being his level, which is fine, he will make a good career out of it. He seems like he prefers that. I don't see him accepting a spot at a lower Prem team and he's not good enough for a top team.
You talk about it so easily but it's the same teams we have barely impressed against, see Rostov. It's ridiculous you dont see Chile as a real opponent while they have won 2 Copa America's in a row, finished above Spain in that WC group, and furthermore I dont think you watched the matches. It's also about context, Memphis completely changed that match vs Australia, Holland was poor hut when he came in the threat and directness of him resulted in a great goal and good assists, he was like 19 at the time. So sad to see people downplaying history. As if Bayern, United, Liverpool, PSG were actively interested for no reason..

Imagine he was trying to play the advanced player through in on a chip with the second goal and he just bombed it?

I keep having that fear, but otherwise I'm happy for him. I think his ability was actually there but the over inflated ego was actually self defense for lack of
Confidence. It's possible he matures into a workhouse to be honest.

He just looks like someone who is happier being a big player in a smaller team, rather than being in a team where he has to compete with other big personalities. Which is fine. Good luck to him.

You talk about it so easily but it's the same teams we have barely impressed against, see Rostov. It's ridiculous you dont see Chile as a real opponent while they have won 2 Copa America's in a row, finished above Spain in that WC group, and furthermore I dont think you watched the matches. It's also about context, Memphis completely changed that match vs Australia, Holland was poor hut when he came in the threat and directness of him resulted in a great goal and good assists, he was like 19 at the time. So sad to see people downplaying history. As if Bayern, United, Liverpool, PSG were actively interested for no reason..

No-one is denying he had a great impact in all those games but any top PL or European club side would walk all over any of those opponents. Thats the level he needed to be at for us and when put in that environment it turns out he wasnt up to it.

He just looks like someone who is happier being a big player in a smaller team, rather than being in a team where he has to compete with other big personalities. Which is fine. Good luck to him.
Exactly. He's at his level now I think. United was too big for him and probably always will be. That said, players often peak mid to late twenties. Sometimes I think we'd be better off paying more money for proven players. Hello Antoine.

He has found his level again. That 2nd goal was gorgeous. Seems to be doing pretty well in a more physical league compared to the Dutch one and getting his confidence back would work well for him.

I don't see him making it back at United so that door should be closed as it was not working out for him. If he goes on and has a career like Forlan would be great for him.

No-one is denying he had a great impact in all those games but any top PL or European club side would walk all over any of those opponents. Thats the level he needed to be at for us and when put in that environment it turns out he wasnt up to it.
We arent on that level ourselves. I dont necessarily think it's only the level of competition but the speed of the game, his fairly limited basic technique makes it very difficult for him as it reduces his handling speed. Pogba has the same problem but to a less extent, his speed of thought is a bit too slow for the PL and it costs him. You dont get the time in the PL and he couldnt deal with that, maybe if he improves, gets leaner, smarter, more experienced he could handle that. The difference in tempo in Eredivisie and PL is gigantic.

The strange thing is that he was the same player when he arrived at Lyon, he wasn't confident and a little bit clumsy but it quickly changed when his teammates tried to find him and with more time on the pitch.

The strange thing is that he was the same player when he arrived at Lyon, he wasn't confident and a little bit clumsy but it quickly changed when his teammates tried to find him and with more time on the pitch.
Have you watched him? How is his general play? He'll never be a Hazard but is he less erratic now and does he influence the team positively in open play?

People really underestimate confidence

Have you watched him? How is his general play? He'll never be a Hazard but is he less erratic now and does he influence the team positively in open play?

He is involved in open play, he asks for the ball and tries to link up a lot with his teammates particularly Lacazette. He seems to be different from the player we had under LVG and I wonder if Mourinho is part of the reason why, he seems to play more like a midfielder than a forward.

Memphis is a confidence player. Simple as that. The ability is definitely there but you have to question his mental strength

That being said, we dont really help at OT. Ive seen posts on the negative impact of our fans before at home and I agree. We have become lazy and spoilt and whenever a player tries something which doesnt come off the crowd are straight on at them

This, and this is why seemingly only Zlatan (and players of his ilk) can really produce their best at OT these days.

Our players just cant relax and enjoy/express themselves, hence the plethora of missed chances at OT.

He is involved in open play, he asks for the ball and tries to link up a lot with his teammates particularly Lacazette. He seems to be different from the player we had under LVG and I wonder if Mourinho is part of the reason why, he seems to play more like a midfielder than a forward.
That's interesting, at PSV he was more a "Ronaldo", playing left wing but always looking to score, make runs, end of attacks, get in the box and get centrally. But he could also dribble himself and cut in a bit. It's unfortunate he's cup tied, I'd love to watch him play in Europe. However Lyon has a good squad too, Valbuena, Fekir, Cornet are worthy competitors, do you think he can keep his place? And how do you think he's played away from home vs better opposition?

That's interesting, at PSV he was more a "Ronaldo", playing left wing but always looking to score, make runs, end of attacks, get in the box and get centrally. But he could also dribble himself and cut in a bit. It's unfortunate he's cup tied, I'd love to watch him play in Europe. However Lyon has a good squad too, Valbuena, Fekir, Cornet are worthy competitors, do you think he can keep his place? And how do you think he's played away from home vs better opposition?

I think that I only saw him at Home, so I can't really tell but Lyon have been bad away from home. If Genesio is honest, Valbuena is the starter while Cornet and Memphis are used as deputies.

people underestimate footballing ability. Do you think if Memphis was transferred into the prem now, he would be tearing it up? hell no!
there are levels to this s***

Where did I even suggest that? What I can say is that whilst he was at United he clearly struggled and it wasn't just to do with his ability, confidence was also a major issue. A young player in a new league, playing in a struggling team.

There are plenty of players in the PL who do not have as much footballing ability as him and do well, mainly as they didn't have the pressure of playing for United whilst United were struggling and for a manager who didn't inspire confidence in them (LVG).