Mehdi Benatia | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man I was expecting to come on to RedCafe and see 'Mehdi Benatia - Man Utd player' in the title.

I should really stop having this thing called hope that keeps cropping up.

Man I was expecting to come on to RedCafe and see 'Mehdi Benatia - Man Utd player' in the title.

I should really stop having this thing called hope that keeps cropping up.

Give up all hope! Accept the inevitable!

Prepare for mediocrity

If he does end up at Bayern, then I hope we're in for Manolas.

feck sport1 benatia is ours.
In their Transfer Centre, Sky Sports are still saying United are closing in on Benatia, no mention of Bayern going for him or providing competition.
Maybe they just don't want to admit they're wrong, or perhaps Sport1 is wrong? Who knows.

Where are people getting all this information from that he's going to Bayern? Can't find anything about it anywhere apart from a few things on twitter which isn't reliable. Are you sure it's not this "Sport 1" that have got it wrong? I've never even heard of them.
Sport 1 is one of the two big free TV sports channels in Germany. Not sure how reliable their transfer chatter is, but they are based in Munich and the report seems very specific.

Possibly. But we are also so scarred from recent windows you can see the panic as soon as another name gets mentioned.

In their Transfer Centre, Sky Sports are still saying United are closing in on Benatia, no mention of Bayern going for him or providing competition.
Maybe they just don't want to admit they're wrong, or perhaps Sport1 is wrong? Who knows.

Sport 1 is one of the two big free TV sports channels in Germany. Not sure how reliable their transfer chatter is, but they are based in Munich and the report seems very specific.

After the position we were in yesterday I find it hard to believe that Bayern can derail us at this point.
I think I'd believe the Jim white tweet over sport1.

Fingers crossed but I ain't very hopful

..or maybe they are using it or have done it keeping SkyBet in mind. Maybe Daniel Taylor was right that United aren't in for him. Who knows.

After the position we were in yesterday I find it hard to believe that Bayern can derail us at this point.
I think I'd believe the Jim white tweet over sport1.
Sky must have some solid proof that we're close to getting him, or they wouldn't have said it. I know they've been mislead before, but surely they wouldn't have said "He's on his way to Manchester" if they didn't have solid evidence of it?

He is exactly what we need... Somebody who can lead a defence
He is a good age to join us - experienced but we would still get a good number of years out of him
The fee sounds reasonable and I doubt his wage demands would cause us any problems.
I will be so annoyed when we find a way to mess it up on deadline day

He is a good age to join us - experienced but we would still get a good number of years out of him
The fee sounds reasonable and I doubt his wage demands would cause us any problems.
I hope we have him signed before deadline day! I hope we have him before next weeks game!

Sky must have some solid proof that we're close to getting him, or they wouldn't have said it. I know they've been mislead before, but surely they wouldn't have said "He's on his way to Manchester" if they didn't have solid evidence of it?
Yeah especially during the middle of their highlights show (When it was broke) so it is not like they were at a loose end for a story during mid-June. However, it's not really the validity of Sky. I believe that he did fly to us for talks, but it's possible Bayern have come in and taken him now, with these Tweets going round that is possible. Wouldn't be the first time.

I hope we have him signed before deadline day! I hope we have him before next weeks game!

This is one I am confident we have wrapped up.

I wish we had stumped up the cash a couple of weeks ago and he had been eligible to play yesterday... But I have horrible images of us sending "our lawyers" on a plane to Rome on deadline day before we end up paying over the odds for Ron vlaar (see last season has scared me)

He'd be a great signing for Bayern. Boateng and Dante are good but nothing more than that for me, I think they lack a top quality option, especially if they plan to play 3 at the back with more regularity after the super cup.

Jerome has won nearly everything as a starting CB and is only 25. He bossed in the WC final. He is one of the best around.
Dante at his best is also very good(perhaps not world class). Dont understand people talking down a Bayern defense who worked crazy good for years now.

Yeah especially during the middle of their highlights show (When it was broke) so it is not like they were at a loose end for a story during mid-June. However, it's not really the validity of Sky. I believe that he did fly to us for talks, but it's possible Bayern have come in and taken him now, with these Tweets going round that is possible. Wouldn't be the first time.
But the problem is where will he play when Martinez is fit?
He's going to be bought as a replacement for Martinez i assume, due to the timing of Bayern reportedly wanting him. He'd have the choice of being a squad rotation player at Bayern (Given their defensive options) or be a mainstay in the Manchester United defence? He'll miss out on Champions League football, sure, but if we DO manage to get in some quality players then i'd say it'd be for one season at the most.

But the problem is where will he play when Martinez is fit?
He's going to be bought as a replacement for Martinez i assume, due to the timing of Bayern reportedly wanting him. He'd have the choice of being a squad rotation player at Bayern (Given their defensive options) or be a mainstay in the Manchester United defence? He'll miss out on Champions League football, sure, but if we DO manage to get in some quality players then i'd say it'd be for one season at the most.
I think he would be their main centreback when fit and play in the vast majority of their big games

Jerome has won nearly everything as a starting CB and is only 25. He bossed in the WC final. He is one of the best around.
Dante at his best is also very good(perhaps not world class). Dont understand people talking down a Bayern defense who worked crazy good for years now.

This

I am not surprised that Bayern are interested in Benatia. Truly top clubs keep make keep on strengthening their team and are extra attentive not to leave any weak spots that can be exploited.

I referred to them both as good players. But in the context of one of the very best teams in Europe they're the weakest part of the side IMO and one of few positions that could be improved. Top class centre halves are few and far between at the moment but Benatia is one of them and would be well worth a 35m fee.

This is still on. But you have to hope tomorrow it moves on like ''Benatia set for United medical'' or something. Otherwise it'll probably go quiet for a few days, then ''Bayern agree Benatia deal'' with stories coming out that we were stalling over a couple of million.

Would hardly be surprising.

The trouble with the Bayern story is that it makes too much sense. They sold Kroos. They've got a couple of injuries. They've got money. They need someone. Benatia by big club standards isn't expensive and Roma seem willing to talk.

So, yes it's one tweet Vs another tweet but it's also about one club's reputation for acting decisively in the transfer market when they have to Vs another club that has got out of the habit.

This is still on. But you have to hope tomorrow it moves on like ''Benatia set for United medical'' or something. Otherwise it'll probably go quiet for a few days, then ''Bayern agree Benatia deal'' with stories coming out that we were stalling over a couple of million.

Would hardly be surprising.
Our penny pinching is becoming slightly embarrassing now. I wonder just how many deals we've failed at due to wanting to save a couple of million.
We starting to see the effects of lack of investment, and should really be working hard on correcting it, starting with Benatia. Got to hope that Woodward delivers on his "watch this space" rubbish he was spouting off a few weeks back!

The trouble with the Bayern story is that it makes too much sense. They sold Kroos. They've got a couple of injuries. They've got money. They need someone. Benatia by big club standards isn't expensive and Roma seem willing to talk.

So, yes it's one tweet Vs another tweet but it's also about one club's reputation for acting decisively in the transfer market when they have to Vs another club that has got out of the habit.
It's not just Jim White reporting it you know? Sky have it as a top story on their website saying he has flown in for talks etc. All Jim put was ''Hearing he will be joining Man United''

http://www.romanews.us/italo-zanzi-denies-mehdi-benatia-sale/

Benatia is one of our players. According to some media he had already been sold, instead he’s working with us with great professionalism. I feel sorry about these rumors, he’s a great person and he’s acting very fairly. We liked Yedlin, but he accepted another club’s offer and we wish him good luck,” he revealed.

Last edited:
It's just a single Tweet but the way things are going would you be surprised if we let him slip to Bayern? Same story every time.

No I wouldn't be at all surprised with the way things have gone for us so far.

If we feck this up I am well and truly sick of our unprofessional behaviour in the transfer market. Fans are getting sick of this now, we possess an average squad at the moment, it's as simple as that. Our midfield and defence is in an absolute dire state!

Yeah alright, we'll pay £24m for Rojo but not £4m more for Benatia.

I referred to them both as good players. But in the context of one of the very best teams in Europe they're the weakest part of the side IMO and one of few positions that could be improved. Top class centre halves are few and far between at the moment but Benatia is one of them and would be well worth a 35m fee.

Sorry, but Jerome is more then a good player. He is world class. You can argue where he stands among the best but he is one of them. We dont have the best CB talent pool overall, that right.
We need a top man for the defense and Benatia would be that.

It's not just Jim White reporting it you know? Sky have it as a top story on their website saying he has flown in for talks etc. All Jim put was ''Hearing he will be joining Man United''
Just looked on sky sports
It is not one of the headlines
Looked under the football section
And it is not one of the headlines
Then looked under the transfer section
It is still not one of the headlines
Nor is it breaking news

Didn't Bild say that Bayern were close to Garay also?

BILD never claimed to have own sources about the Garay transfer. All the rumours about Garay involved "reportedly" and "according to rumour", because the original sources came from South-America.

Just looked on sky sports
It is not one of the headlines
Looked under the football section
And it is not one of the headlines
Then looked under the transfer section
It is still not one of the headlines
Nor is it breaking news
Not sure where you're looking to be fair, but when i go on the Sky Sports website, it's the second story on the main page, under Latest.

Benatia to talk with United
Roma defender Mehdi Benatia is flying to England for talks over a move to Manchester United, Sky sources understand.

Thats what they have on the main page.

Status
Not open for further replies.