Mehdi Benatia | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
We ''stick by'' players far beyond any other top club and it just doesn't pay off.
Absolutely. Can anyone actually imagine Ashley Young, Valencia and Nani being being tolerated at Madrid for so long at the level they've shown for us? They'd be out the door in one season.

Absolutely. Can anyone actually imagine Ashley Young, Valencia and Nani being being tolerated at Madrid for so long at the level they've shown for us? They'd be out the door in one season.

Real is the other extreme to be honest. Players are sold even when they do a great job at the club (Sneijder, Owen, Ozil)

Real is the other extreme to be honest. Players are sold even when they do a great job at the club (Sneijder, Owen, Ozil)
Absolutely. I'm not advocating us becoming madrid. But the standards should not be allowed for slip.

So this is basically only reported by SKY. It's odd that nobody else has any info.

Jim White seems to have a flawless record when it comes to calling transfers on twitter so far, but knowing our luck, this will probably be the first time he is wrong. :nervous:

Absolutely. I'm not advocating us becoming madrid. But the standards should not be allowed for slip.

As said we went to the other extreme. If a player is doing well then he should be encouraged and played irrespective on whether there's a big name player ahead of him in the pecking order. After all that's exactly what we did with the class of 92 (Scholes, Giggs, Gaz and Beckham went on replacing internationals Ince, Sharpe, Parker and Kanchelskis). However once a player cant produce the goods on a regular basis then we should let him go irrespective on what he thinks or what he did for the club etc. What many sentimentalists forget is

a) that for those players to actually make it, others had to be sacrificed. Back in mid/early 90s the likes of Sharpe, Ince, Kanchelskis and Parker had sweated blood for the club and yet they were still shown the door to give space to the new generation. If SAF showed the same kind of sentimentalism with the other guys then we would probably never heard of the class of 92 in the first place (or Paul Scholes would have ended up a Juventus legend)

b) the club had made this guys MILLIONAIRES.

We owe them nothing

Benatia would be an absolute beast at whatever price we have to pay. Even if it's well in the 30s or 40 million we should go for it. He would be that consistent figure at the back leading a very inexperienced back line.

We ''stick by'' players far beyond any other top club and it just doesn't pay off.

This is why I'm quite angry at how Fergie overemphasized the concept of "family spirit" in the team without any regard of how lacking or, in the opposite, talented a player is. It looks like he completely forgot how to cut ties with players who don't cut it.

Someone once said that with Ferrari, Formula 1 drivers who are with the Scuderia should know this: You are family and friend to the commendatore (i.e. the commander, the chief) as long as you win. The minute you don't, ciao, ciao. That is something United should and must have of a mindset in order to make this a very competitive team.

As said we went to the other extreme. If a player is doing well then he should be encouraged and played irrespective on whether there's a big name player ahead of him in the pecking order. After all that's exactly what we did with the class of 92 (Scholes, Giggs, Gaz and Beckham went on replacing internationals Ince, Sharpe, Parker and Kanchelskis). However once a player cant produce the goods on a regular basis then we should let him go irrespective on what he thinks or what he did for the club etc. What many sentimentalists forget is

a) that for those players to actually make it, others had to be sacrificed. Back in mid/early 90s the likes of Sharpe, Ince, Kanchelskis and Parker had sweated blood for the club and yet they were still shown the door to give space to the new generation

b) the club had made this guys MILLIONAIRES.

We owe them nothing
Agree.

And also, if you allow mediocre performing players to stick around for ages, can you expect immaculate standards from your top players?

Just so sad reading the OP. :(

MOROCCO ace Mehdi Benatia has issued a 'come and get me' call to Manchester United.

by Michael Morgan

The tough Udinese centre-back is being monitored by Old Trafford boss Alex Ferguson — and he has made it clear he would love to link up with the Premier League champions.

Benatia, 24, has a £9.7million price tag on his head, and is under contract with the Serie A side for another three years.

But he admitted last night: "To be linked with Manchester United is a dream come true.

"They are the biggest club in the world, and to have an opportunity to play at Old Trafford would be amazing, believe me.

"But I have a contract with Udinese, and they have to be happy before I can move."

Benatia joined Udinese from French Second Division side Clermont two years ago after failing to make the grade with Marseille. He was a target for Chelsea before they signed £7m Gary Cahill from Bolton last month.

Manchester United news: Mehdi Benatia dreams of United news | The Sun |Sport|Football

Why don't we target quality players when they're cheaper/ more likely to come and on the verge of exploding into prominence ? It used to be one of our strengths - Schmeichel, Cantona, VDS, Evra, Vidic...

Agree.

And also, if you allow mediocre performing players to stick around for ages, can you expect immaculate standards from your top players?

that was exactly my fear throughout the past few years. If the club keep mediocre performing players to remain at the club then many will start question the club's ambition. Some will become complacent while others would simply ask to leave and join clubs were players actually give a damn.

We've been stressing on how big the club is. Its time we act like a big club. We need some nasty quality players who are hungry for success. Benatia, Vidal etc would never settle for second best.

Just so sad reading the OP. :(

Why don't we target quality players when they're cheaper/ more likely to come and on the verge of exploding into prominence ? It used to be one of our strengths - Schmeichel, Cantona, VDS, Evra, Vidic...
Well, its because 2 years ago we were counting on Jones and Smalling to come good. Also, I think Fergie wasn't a fan of having African players here anyway (ANC).

that was exactly my fear throughout the past few years. If the club keep mediocre performing players to remain at the club then many will start question the club's ambition. Some will become complacent while others would simply ask to leave and join clubs were players actually give a damn.

We've been stressing on how big the club is. Its time we act like a big club. We need some nasty quality players who are hungry for success. Benatia, Vidal etc would never settle for second best.
I just want to see us sign the two or three players LVG wants, and then just let him shake this team up to the core. I think he'll sort this lot right up. I think we've gotten the ideal man for this job. Just need to back him up so he can get the job done quicker.

Well, its because 2 years ago we were counting on Jones and Smalling to come good. Also, I think Fergie wasn't a fan of having African players here anyway (ANC).

Having issues with African players and Germans... Look where we are now by not even trying, Fergie.

So can this guy push up and start moves comfortably? Evans and a good ball playing defender as two of the three would be nice.

Sky Sports news on TV just said that we're close to adding another signing, Benatia and Sky sources understand we're very close to agreeing a fee with Roma. This is so confusing, mixed signals everywhere!

Sky Sports news on TV just said that we're close to adding another signing, Benatia and Sky sources understand we're very close to agreeing a fee with Roma. This is so confusing, mixed signals everywhere!

It is because Sky are the only ones going with it.

The last time they committed this much and failed when it comes to Manchester United was Hazard. I hope it's not a similar scenario. I remember they reported on TV that Hazard had chosen us. :(

Is he any good?

I can't ever recall ever watching him or having even heard his name until these rumours began.

Is he any good?

I can't ever recall ever watching him or having even heard his name until these rumours began.
He was a very hit and miss player most of his career until he turned 25 and magically became a very consistent top defender. He's got a very well rounded skill set and has showed his dominance throughout the season for Roma. I rate him very highly.

The last time they committed this much and failed when it comes to Manchester United was Hazard. I hope it's not a similar scenario. I remember they reported on TV that Hazard had chosen us. :(

He had chosen us over other options till Chelsea won the CL and came flashing more cash at him and his agent.

Except the quickly withdrawn Mccarthy story last time Sky were probably wrong regarding United was re the Pogba renewal.

It's odd nobody is backing this up. I think we are still negotiating probably.

This is why I'm quite angry at how Fergie overemphasized the concept of "family spirit" in the team without any regard of how lacking or, in the opposite, talented a player is. It looks like he completely forgot how to cut ties with players who don't cut it.

Someone once said that with Ferrari, Formula 1 drivers who are with the Scuderia should know this: You are family and friend to the commendatore (i.e. the commander, the chief) as long as you win. The minute you don't, ciao, ciao. That is something United should and must have of a mindset in order to make this a very competitive team.
Family spirit or not, fergie s methods worked and his record speaks for itself so please stop spouting shit.

So can this guy push up and start moves comfortably? Evans and a good ball playing defender as two of the three would be nice.

He's above average playing from the back but from what i've seen it's not his strongest point especially long passes or building attacks as such.

a) that for those players to actually make it, others had to be sacrificed. Back in mid/early 90s the likes of Sharpe, Ince, Kanchelskis and Parker had sweated blood for the club and yet they were still shown the door to give space to the new generation. If SAF showed the same kind of sentimentalism with the other guys then we would probably never heard of the class of 92 in the first place (or Paul Scholes would have ended up a Juventus legend)
But here's the problem: at the end pf his career Fergie lost that ruthlessness and showed a lot of sentimentalism. For instance by playing Giggs in midfield, even though we were always getting overun with him in it, and not giving opportunities to players like Pogba. We're now paying the price for it.

Family spirit or not, fergie s methods worked and his record speaks for itself so please stop spouting shit.

Go read the following instead of calling people ignorant. We are currently paying the price for Fergie's sentimentalism of the last few years.

But here's the problem: at the end pf his career Fergie lost that ruthlessness and showed a lot of sentimentalism. For instance by playing Giggs in midfield, even though we were always getting overun with him in it, and not giving opportunities to players like Pogba. We're now paying the price for it.

Exactly what some people seem to have a hard time understanding. The Fergie of old would have shunned players who didn't cut it anymore before long instead of being the big sentimental he is now. I keep wondering what he was thinking.

Last edited:
When asked about a possible transfer to City, Sabatini replied by saying if David Luiz is worth 50m, Benatia's weaker leg is worth 30m. This was at the time when David Luiz was sold.

Here, found the exact quote.

"I'd consider €30m to be the value of Benatia's weaker foot. If we are offered €61m, then we'll talk"

It's very strange that they would accept a similar fee only a few months later. Would the Glazers be ready to spend £48m? I think not.

Last edited:
Go read the following instead of calling people ignorant. We are currently paying the price for Fergie's sentimentalism of the last few years.

Exactly what some people seem to have a hard time understanding. The Fergie of old would have shunned players who didn't cut it anymore before long instead of being the big sentimental he is now. I keep wondering what he was thinking.

He didn't address the midfield in his last few years but he still won titles. All Moyes had to do and now all LVG has to do is address the midfield.

It shouldn't be that big a deal. Not sure what else we are currently paying the price of from that damn Fergie though. He can't be blamed for both Vidic and Evra leaving prematurely.

Status
Not open for further replies.