Mehdi Benatia | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both. You think he's "maybe the best defender about" :lol:?

Considering him one of the best about isn't really outlandish, he was easily top 3 last season and was one of the best in Serie A while he was still at Udinese. Had a better season than the likes of Hummels & Thiago Silva.

He'd be a good signing for Utd seeing as what they currently have is utter gash. Not quite the world beater some would have you believe though. Roma are laughing all the way to the bank if they do manage to get £25m+ for him. Shoring up that defence should be a high priority for Utd though, and money no object to get it done.

Both. You think he's "maybe the best defender about" :lol:?
Players like Ramos are now considered as the best, but if you watch him closely defensively he isnt solid, Benatia is the best defender in the Serie A, and was chosen the best even when Thiago Silva was there, lots of people rate him, and Barcelona fans are crying for him, its because he plays at Roma, he is rated lower.. They had very few goals against last year I rememer. I admit that Im on full muppet mode, thought I wouldnt do it after Vidal but the muppet in me rises.

Bonus: Compared on Squawka, by far the best, not that Squawka says it all but its quite an indication.

Considering him one of the best about isn't really outlandish, he was easily top 3 last season and was one of the best in Serie A while he was still at Udinese. Had a better season than the likes of Hummels & Thiago Silva.
moving from serie a to pl won't be easy ..even for the best of defenders.

One of I can consider but saying he is maybe the best about is taking it too far in my opinion. Better than Hummels, Thiago Silva, Kompany, Subotic? He's good, but there's some major muppetry going on.

Players like Ramos are now considered as the best, but if you watch him closely defensively he isnt solid, Benatia is the best defender in the Serie A, and was chosen the best even when Thiago Silva was there, lots of people rate him, and Barcelona fans are crying for him, its because he plays at Roma, he is rated lower.. They had very few goals against last year I rememer. I admit that Im on full muppet mode, thought I wouldnt do it after Vidal but the muppet in me rises.

Bonus: Compared on Squawka, by far the best, not that Squawka says it all but its quite an indication.
I don't rate Ramos that much anyway but the few I named above are all better. Yeah Squawka isn't a great source :lol:

You muppet away, let it fly.

Call me a muppet but Jim White hasn't said a lot on his twitter this summer and most of it was right.I'm confidant.

One of I can consider but saying he is maybe the best about is taking it too far in my opinion. Better than Hummels, Thiago Silva, Kompany, Subotic? He's good, but there's some major muppetry going on.

He's definitely better than Subotic & is coming off a better season than the others I'd say. Thiago Silva wasn't even PSG's best defender last season.

From someone who feels like he hasn't been infected my muppetbola yet, I think Jim White is as good a source as any, he will have his own people at Sky, so I'd be pretty optimistic.

I don't rate Ramos that much anyway but the few I named above are all better. Yeah Squawka isn't a great source :lol:

You muppet away, let it fly.
I said maybe, we havent seen Benatia in the CL, nor the World Cup etc, so you couldnt give the perfect title to him, but I do think he is better than Subotic tbf. No, the muppet in me refuses. All those players above havent been consistent also, Hummels was injured a lot, Thiago Silva lost his form end of the season, and didnt have a very good WC, Kompany was also often injured.

Jim White doesn't go around tweeting random things, so we can say his tweet is more reliable than twitter accounts who tweet 100 times a day, covering all bases. But then, it still can't be 100% certain that transfer is happening. Depends how 'on the money' his source is on this.

When he tweeted about Balotelli he quoted his "man in AC milan". So hopefully he has a man in Roma too.

Another few hours and he can post that his phone was stolen and his account's been hacked.

Michael Cox from zonalmarking.net had Benatia in his European team of the season 13/14 this is what he had to say about him:

"The defensive signing of the season. Benatia always looked promising at Udinese, often in a back three, but his true quality has become even more obvious since his move to Roma last summer. He’s simply a superb all-round centre-back – happy challenging in the air, comfortable moving out to the channels to close down opponents, and good at bringing the ball forward and starting attacks. His displays went a bit under the radar outside Italy, as Roma weren’t involved in European competition, but in Serie A he was extremely consistent"

I have not seen him play much but it take Mike's word for it, still very sceptical about this happening.

It's annoying that it's seemingly taken a defeat for us to get our arse into gear in the transfer market, but it'd be a start. Just. Get. It. Done.

He'd be a good signing for Utd seeing as what they currently have is utter gash. Not quite the world beater some would have you believe though. Roma are laughing all the way to the bank if they do manage to get £25m+ for him. Shoring up that defence should be a high priority for Utd though, and money no object to get it done.
Do you actually watch their games? Because most say he is really good. If you watch his games what makes you say he isn't a world beater? Any obvious flaws?

Can't say I've ever seen him to be honest.

Smalling, Evans and Jones are all better than Luiz. So considering he was your first choice CB less than two seasons ago, you habe quite the cheek to call them gash.

Smalling, Evans and Jones are all better than Luiz. So considering he was your first choice CB less than two seasons ago, you habe quite the cheek to call them gash.

Are they feck, and Luiz was first choice under Benitez, the same pillock who thought it was a good idea to drop JT.

He'd walk into any team in the prem IMO. He's a top class defender, and still pretty young. We'd need a lot more then just £25m I'd say though.

Someone on Reddit went through Jim White's Twitter TL and got this:

May 26th - Poch to Spurs (official May 27th)

June 13th - Koeman to Saints (official June 16th)

June 26th - Shaw to United (official June 27th)

June 27th - Lallana to Liverpool (official July 1st)

July 4th - Cole to Roma (official July 7th)

July 20th - Campana to Sampdoria (official July 22nd)

July 22nd - Sigurdsson/Davies/Vorm deal (official July 23rd)

July 22nd - Lovren to Liverpool (official July 27th)

July 24th - van Aanholt to Sunderland (official July 25th)

August 9th - Forster to Soton (official August 10t )

August 12th - Long to Soton (official August 14th)

That is every transfer on his timeline this summer. I haven't skipped any incorrect tweets, I've only ignored ones where he announces it on the same day it's official.

He'd walk into any team in the prem IMO. He's a top class defender, and still pretty young. We'd need a lot more then just £25m I'd say though.

He most certainly wouldn't walk into ours, and arguably neither City's now they have Mangala. In all honesty, there aren't many top class CB's in the Premiership to begin with.

He most certainly wouldn't walk into ours, and arguably neither City's now they have Mangala. In all honesty, there aren't many top class CB's in the Premiership to begin with.

He's comfortably better than Mangala.

Cahill and Terry is a good partnership but he's comfortably a better player then Cahill at the moment. Mangala is only a young defender who has just over 50 league appearances for Porto. He might be a good player but he's nowhere near Benatia, who over the course of the last 2 seasons has been one of the best defenders around.

After today it's clear we need someone world class who can shore up our defence. Not writing off Jones or Smalling, but we need someone who can come in and make an immediate difference.

Wouldn't completely solve our problems, but it would be a huge step in the right direction.

According to Sky Sports, Benatia is travelling down to Manchester to hold talks with Manchester United. United are still in talks with his club AS Roma.

Status
Not open for further replies.