McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
£17m for McTominay would be ridiculous. Based on current market value, he should be around £40m minimum for a smaller side.
Which clubs where he will be useful, would be able to afford to spend £40m on him? £40m for a non midfielder/part time striker? Come on. We may overpay for player after player but very few clubs operate as stupidly as we do.

This is Manchester United, not Man City or Barcelona, our midfielders score goals galore not pass it backwards and sideways in some sleep inducing unwatchable chicki chaka bs.

The thing is, by the time Manchester United catches up with the trend that’s been going for a decade and a half like many people here want, football will move on.
That’s how Liverpool went decades without a title, they were always a couple of steps behind Manchester United and later Arsenal and Chelsea as well, they became good by doing their own thing which was becoming the best team in the world in transition, after appointing the right man.

Scott Mctominay is a proper United player, he was involved in 3 of the 4 goals against Liverpool in the FA Cup, scored against Coventry in the semis and did a fantastic job off the ball in the final.
Not to mention all the times him and Fred did a job against City under Ole.
That’s a player that would’ve played for a SAF side for years, I have no doubt aboot it.

Scott Mctominay is one of very few players who improved last season, and one of our very few players who have real edge.
There’s not many midfielders out there with his timing and movement to arrive in the box and score goals, that’s a real edge.

I’m not saying he needs to be a regular starter but he’s a FAR more useful player than Eriksen or Casemiro.
Some people here are learning what Pep has forgotten 8 years ago, which is, you can’t dominate the Premier League with a team of midgets who may be brilliant on the ball but couldn’t win a header in their box or on the halfway line to save their lives:

Its funny how football works, if Mctominay played in the SAF era people would be considering him a semi legend like Park, Fletcher, Oshea or Brown.
If any of these players had to play for United during the last decade folks would be begging for them to be sold for 20m to Fulham or Everton.

Heck, and no disrespect to these players because they played their part in United’s success, but, I remember all the times Brown was catastrophic in CB and we got cooked, or folks saying Fletcher was a Championship level player (pre 2007) or Park getting absolutely manhandled by Yaya Toure in that embarrassing title decider at the Etihad in 2012.

To conclude, anything less than 40m and we’re getting rinsed.
And in the words of the great man himself:
““He’s a f------ great player! Youse are f------ idiots!”

Last edited:
The goal scoring is overblown on here. He scored 10 goals last year, but has never come close to that in any other season for United. Time to sell.

He averages around 4 league goals per season. Not exactly Lampard numbers.
Fair point, but I would say what he's doing with Scotland as well shows in a good system, he is an obvious goal threat. He also has the knack of important goals too.

This is Manchester United, not Man City or Barcelona, our midfielders score goals galore not pass it backwards and sideways in some sleep inducing unwatchable chicki chaka bs.

The thing is, by the time Manchester United catches up with the trend that’s been going for a decade and a half like many people here want, football will move on.
That’s how Liverpool went decades without a title, they were always a couple of steps behind Manchester United and later Arsenal and Chelsea as well, they became good by doing their own thing which was becoming the best team in the world in transition, after appointing the right man.

Scott Mctominay is a proper United player, he was involved in 3 of the 4 goals against Liverpool in the FA Cup, scored against Coventry in the semis and did a fantastic job off the ball in the final.
That’s a player that would’ve played for a SAF side for years, I have no doubt aboot it.

Scott Mctominay is one of very few players who improved last season, and one of our very few players who have real edge.
There’s not many midfielders out there with his timing and movement to arrive in the box and score goals, that’s a real edge.

I’m not saying he needs to be a regular starter but he’s a FAR more useful player than Eriksen or Casemiro.
Some people here are learning what Pep has forgotten 8 years ago, which is, you can’t dominate the Premier League with a team of midgets who may be brilliant on the ball but couldn’t win a header in their box or on the halfway line to save their lives:

Its funny how football works, if Mctominay played in the SAF era people would be considering him a semi legend like Park, Fletcher, Oshea or Brown.
If any of these players had to play for United during the last decade folks would be begging for them to be sold for 20m to Fulham or Everton.

Heck, and no disrespect to these two players because they played their part in United’s success, but, I remember all the times Brown was catastrophic in CB and we got cooked, or folks saying Fletcher was a Championship level player (pre 2007) or Park getting absolutely manhandled by Yaya Toure in that embarrassing title decided at the Etihad in 2012.

Comparing him to those players is an insult to Park, Fletcher, O'Shea and Brown. Players that helped us win Leagues and a Champions League. Utter madness what people see in this guy.

£17m for McTominay would be ridiculous. Based on current market value, he should be around £40m minimum for a smaller side.

Show your workings.

In light of all the financial restrictions and smaller clubs undoubtedly shitting themselves about falling foul of them and potential relegation batlle. I am not surprised at that offer and we are getting nowhere near £40mil for him, there is no side that can make use of him that can afford that kind of outlay.

He’s not even in the top ten of players I’d like to see sold first.

Would prefer to see any and all of Greenwood, Sancho, Antony, Lindelof, Casemiro, Wan-Bissaka, Maguire, Eriksen, Pellistri and Hannibal sold first.

Reading lists like that makes me realize HOW MANY average 5/10 players we still got in our squad.

The goal scoring is overblown on here. He scored 10 goals last year, but has never come close to that in any other season for United. Time to sell.

Also, he scored 10 goals by ignoring his position, his defensive and link-up duties, and just running up front.
Happy with the goals, but cannot pretend his total output was positive.

Comparing him to those players is an insult to Park, Fletcher, O'Shea and Brown. Players that helped us win Leagues and a Champions League. Utter madness what people see in this guy.
Park, Fletcher, O’Shea and Brown wouldn’t have helped us to win any title in the post SAF era, they would have made no difference in that environment.
The biggest issue with how SAF’s retirement was handled was that he underrated himself, severely.
No other manager was winning a PL title with a midfield of Carrick and Cleverley, no effective wingers and with Rio and Vidic on their last legs.
SAF was that good.

They were good players playing their part around a couple of brilliant players managed by the greatest manager of all time, that is all.

Heck, and no disrespect to these players because they played their part in United’s success, but, I remember all the times Brown was catastrophic in CB and we got cooked, or folks saying Fletcher was a Championship level player (pre 2007) or Park getting absolutely manhandled by Yaya Toure in that embarrassing title decider at the Etihad in 2012.

What have i just read.. absolute waffle

said it many times and will continue to say it, the lad has no place here, hasn't ever been good enough to play for this club nor will he ever be.

Take anything 20m upwards and snatch Fulham / West Hams hand off and actually replace him with a player who can pass a ball forward.

I will start taking this club serious again when players like him are moved on, to think hes spend his entire career here is laughable.

Show your workings.

In light of all the financial restrictions and smaller clubs undoubtedly shitting themselves about falling foul of them and potential relegation batlle. I am not surprised at that offer and we are getting nowhere near £40mil for him, there is no side that can make use of him that can afford that kind of outlay.

His style of play is perfect for a Everton, West Ham type of side and I could envisage him as a roided Soucek type of mid.

His worth for that bracket of side would be worth a lot more than £17m.

Obviously he’s not United starter quality but that shouldn’t blind us to his relative ability if in a smaller side with different expectations and tactical approach.

Those 10 goals are worth 10 million alone for some clubs. Hence we shouldn't look for anything below 30-35 million mark

His style of play is perfect for a Everton, West Ham type of side and I could envisage him as a roided Soucek type of mid.

His worth for that bracket of side would be worth a lot more than £17m.

Obviously he’s not United starter quality but that shouldn’t blind us to his relative ability if in a smaller side with different expectations and tactical approach.

I don't disagree with your assesment of him as a player. Just the valuation relative to where the market is at for smaller clubs right now. £40mil minimum is not a realistic expectation that we should have. neither is £17mil going the other way however.

Amazing how some people watch a game of football and base their judgement because he scored 2 goals against Brentford.

The guy can’t even do the basics of a midfield right.

As I always said. We got some central midfield players that went for 100m last year. He is on same level. Talking about 15m is just ridiculous. I’m not saying he is 100m player but if we sell him, he should not go cheap. Most goals from central midfielder in PL tells you something.

As I always said. We got some central midfield players that went for 100m last year. He is on same level. Talking about 15m is just ridiculous. I’m not saying he is 100m player but if we sell him, he should not go cheap. Most goals from central midfielder in PL tells you something.
He has 1 year left on his contract.

We’re not getting £40m for him at any time, never mind with his contract situation.

£17 is low but I’d bite Fulham’s hand off for 25-30.

McTominay would've been sold in the SAF era.

If you just look at what they've delivered on the pitch, 95% of the squad would've been sold in the SAF era.

However, there's an argument to be made that certain players would've looked much better in a functional team managed by SAF. So, there's that.

SAF managed to get something out of several players that clearly weren't world beaters (let's just say).

Also, he scored 10 goals by ignoring his position, his defensive and link-up duties, and just running up front.
Happy with the goals, but cannot pretend his total output was positive.
Sure, but where will you get any midfielder guaranteeing atleast that 10 goal output, anything under 30m?

And he didn’t give up his defensive duties, he was rather playing the no. 10 box crasher position with his average position quite high up the pitch, even ahead of Bruno in some matches.

He’s not the complete player we want to win titles, but we need a squad with good attitudes, he certainly provides that.

Anything below 30m should be straight up rejected and we should focus on selling Casemiro instead.

Those 10 goals are worth 10 million alone for some clubs. Hence we shouldn't look for anything below 30-35 million mark

Almost like it's a trait players can develop as they grow. The fact that he scored that many for United and scored a fair amount for Scotland would point to the fact that Scott has improved that side of his game.

Sure, but where will you get any midfielder guaranteeing atleast that 10 goal output, anything under 30m?

It's not a guarantee. He's only done that once. And he's still been shit despite that.

I prefer a DM that prevents goals and creates goals just as much as he scores them, if not more, and McT is not that.

Park, Fletcher, O’Shea and Brown wouldn’t have helped us to win any title in the post SAF era, they would have made no difference in that environment.
The biggest issue with how SAF’s retirement was handled was that he underrated himself, severely.
No other manager was winning a PL title with a midfield of Carrick and Cleverley, no effective wingers and with Rio and Vidic on their last legs.
SAF was that good.

They were good players playing their part around a couple of brilliant players managed by the greatest manager of all time, that is all.
You put Scott McTominay side by side to those players. Utter madness when McTominay wouldn't even get in the team if those guys were available.

Almost like it's a trait players can develop as they grow. The fact that he scored that many for United and scored a fair amount for Scotland would point to the fact that Scott has improved that side of his game.
He's 28 at the end of the year. He will start declining very soon and now is the time to get rid.

Hes a £35m in my books, after giving it some thought. Some PL clubs are making some hilariously expensive signings. 40m for Kilman for example.

A question to all of his supporters:

CBs aside, whose main responsibility would you say it is to stop our opponents attacking players from finding space to take shots to our goal?
Whose main responsibility is to offer options to our GK and defenders when they have the ball?
Whose main responsibility is to win challenges in the midfield?

How would you rate him from 1-10 on the above?

and those 10 goals last year contributed to 12 point. Like without those goals we'd have 12points less.

So he's important enough for us I think to even keep as a squad player.

If he's only got 1 year left on his contract then obviously he wont be going for 30m+. We always hold on to these type of players and then moan when we sell them for peanuts a few years too late because we hold onto them for too long. He's just had an ok season, flog now while he's still thought of as a semi competent player.

If we're having to rely on Scott McTominay to rescue the team then you know we have serious, serious problems.

A question to all of his supporters:

CBs aside, whose main responsibility would you say it is to stop our opponents attacking players from finding space to take shots to our goal?
Whose main responsibility is to offer options to our GK and defenders when they have the ball?
Whose main responsibility is to win challenges in the midfield?

How would you rate him from 1-10 on the above?

He's not a defensive midfielder. He's never been a defensive midfielder. He should never have been played as a defensive midfielder. Stop judging him on being a defensive midfielder.

He's a relatively low wage, low maintenance bench option who can come on and get you a goal as an attacking midfielder / second striker, hitting the box from deep and also be a good, tall option for set pieces at both ends when chasing or seeing out games. He shouldn't start and doesn't suit any role we want to be starting games with - but you need different options in a squad for certain situations and he's an effective one that doesn't cost much money and having come up through the academy - loves the club and gives his all in the shirt.

and those 10 goals last year contributed to 12 point. Like without those goals we'd have 12points less.

So he's important enough for us I think to even keep as a squad player.

We also would've lost to Coventry and Liverpool in the Cup. We wouldn't be in Europe this year.

He's not a defensive midfielder. He's never been a defensive midfielder. He should never have been played as a defensive midfielder. Stop judging him on being a defensive midfielder.

That's bollocks. All CMs have to defend and be able to play defensively. We're not asking a winger to be competent in GK attitudes.
If he's not able to contribute defensively, in the position that he plays, he should never set foot in Old Trafford as a Man United player ever again.

If you just look at what they've delivered on the pitch, 95% of the squad would've been sold in the SAF era.

However, there's an argument to be made that certain players would've looked much better in a functional team managed by SAF. So, there's that.

SAF managed to get something out of several players that clearly weren't world beaters (let's just say).

A good chunk of the guys cleared out by lvg didn't go to top clubs. I think it was only Danny Welbeck who went to Arsenal. Most went to Europa league level clubs or worse.

And he didn’t give up his defensive duties, he was rather playing the no. 10 box crasher position with his average position quite high up the pitch, even ahead of Bruno in some matches.

He’s not the complete player we want to win titles, but we need a squad with good attitudes, he certainly provides that.

Anything below 30m should be straight up rejected and we should focus on selling Casemiro instead.
You can’t guarantee anything when it comes to McT…especially 10 goals

That's bollocks. All CMs have to defend and be able to play defensively. We're not asking a winger to be competent in GK attitudes.
If he's not able to contribute defensively, in the position that he plays, he should never set foot in Old Trafford as a Man United player ever again.

I don't see him as a CM either - not one who should be starting for us. I've said what I think he is, and where I think he brings value to our squad. Your last sentence shows me how much interest I have in your opinions or continuing this conversation so I'm going to leave it there.

There is a difference between contributing defensively and being a DM.

A good chunk of the guys cleared out by lvg didn't go to top clubs. I think it was only Danny Welbeck who went to Arsenal. Most went to Europa league level clubs or worse.

Not sure what your point is here exactly, but a number of those players were clearly over the hill (but nobody sane would question their quality as such).

My point was not that SAF mostly turned turds into diamonds, but that he did know how to use players (mostly as squad options) who weren't objectively brilliant (and who might, indeed, look nowhere as good elsewhere).

Status
Not open for further replies.