McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there was PL competition for him he’d command 30m or more, but if it’s just Fulham then I’d expect 25 plus add ons.

He seems the type to look after himself and is very professional, so I think a club at Fulhams level may be getting a solid player for 6+ years.

So Fulham may have a midfield of McTominay and Pereira next season? I swear if they dominate our midfield like most other teams seem to do I might just implode.

I'm not sure ETH wants the club to sell him. I think McT made a good impression on him last year. The club probably would though if an offers comes in that matches Uniteds valuation. With Sir Jim speaking on that it would take more than a couple of windows to build the squad players like McT aren't the big issue. I would guess there's about 7-8 players they would rather let go before McT. The problem is that some of our players are really tough to force out the door.

As a fan my reasoning is the same. I would rather sell Eriksen, Lindelof, Casemiro, Maguirre, Anthony, AWB, Malacia, Pellistri, Hannibal and Sancho all before McT. At the very least he gives us his all and seems by all accounts to be a very good and reliable team mate.
Could gore not stake a claim this year?
He’s looked very tidy every time I’ve seen him play (which is not much I admit)

ETH seems to like him so I worry we'll price him out of a move. Hopefully we can come to the table and Fulham move to £25-£30million to get this done.

McT, AWB, possibly Lindelof, Casemiro may yet move. Two exciting additions so far. Always liked that Jim chap

Could gore not stake a claim this year?
He’s looked very tidy every time I’ve seen him play (which is not much I admit)
Not seen much of him to be honest so can't really give an opnion but I would give any of the young midfielders a chance rather than someone like Eriksen.

McT is not anywhere near our worst perfomers. I don't mind us keeping him.

See so many comments here on how he gives it his all and so on. Isn't making yourself available for a pass a part of that? Isn't tracking runners a part of that? He busts a gut on his own terms, more often than not to get in the box which is his strength, but I don't often see a player that is really giving it all in all aspects of being a midfielder.

I really hope we accept a decent offer, everything over 20 and we move on. As soon as players like him are moved on I can really believe we have turned a corner in the management of this squad.

Weirdly it’s probably the Zirkzee signing that replaces his contribution to the team rather than signing a midfield replacement. He doesn’t really add much to our midfield but has proven his worth in front of goal.

30m is reasonable to accept, but I can see why we value him at 40m. For his faults, you don't get many players who are a regular and proven goal threat in this league.

I love that supporters have so much care and affection for players from the club, but it needs to be measured with ambition.

He has enjoyed a long time here and has never really been good enough. If selling him for 25-30 million is the difference between de Ligt/Ugarte or not, we absolutely have to do it.

It’s time to be a serious club again and that sometimes involves tough decisions.

If we sell Mctominay and wan bissaka are we in trouble with the number of homegrown players. Who are the eight homegrown Heaton, Evans, Maguire, Shaw, Sancho, Mount. Do any of Amad or Mejbri fall under homegrown?

If we sell Mctominay and wan bissaka are we in trouble with the number of homegrown players. Who are the eight homegrown Heaton, Evans, Maguire, Shaw, Sancho, Mount. Do any of Amad or Mejbri fall under homegrown?
Mainoo, Rashford

I love that supporters have so much care and affection for players from the club, but it needs to be measured with ambition.

He has enjoyed a long time here and has never really been good enough. If selling him for 25-30 million is the difference between de Ligt/Ugarte or not, we absolutely have to do it.

It’s time to be a serious club again and that sometimes involves tough decisions.
I agree to an extent, and if an offer comes in close to our valuation then we should accept it. But what the last, injury ravaged season, taught us is that our squad is not deep enough to cover for injuries and the necessary rotation to get through 60 or so matches. Sell and we probably need to replace him to keep the squad numbers at a sensible level. For this reason I think we will keep Maguire too as cover at CB.

See so many comments here on how he gives it his all and so on. Isn't making yourself available for a pass a part of that? Isn't tracking runners a part of that? He busts a gut on his own terms, more often than not to get in the box which is his strength, but I don't often see a player that is really giving it all in all aspects of being a midfielder.

He’s really good at making himself available for passes when making runs from deep into the box. He’s well able to finish such chances as well.

I feel like most of the perception of McTominay stems from him being misused as a DM or CM for so long. If we were playing Martinez as a CF or Garnacho as a GK, they would be on the end of similar abuse. It isn’t his fault that our poor squad balance and planning has left him filling gaps he was never capable of filling for so long.

For me, a lad who bleeds the club, who is never a starter in a properly built squad but who we can spring off the bench for the last 15 minutes of games we are chasing, knowing he has a goal in him, is well worth keeping.

Giving up an asset like that is worth more than 17 or 25m in this market.

He’s really good at making himself available for passes when making runs from deep into the box. He’s well able to finish such chances as well.

I feel like most of the perception of McTominay stems from him being misused as a DM or CM for so long. If we were playing Martinez as a CF or Garnacho as a GK, they would be on the end of similar abuse. It isn’t his fault that our poor squad balance and planning has left him filling gaps he was never capable of filling for so long.

For me, a lad who bleeds the club, who is never a starter in a properly built squad but who we can spring off the bench for the last 15 minutes of games we are chasing, knowing he has a goal in him, is well worth keeping.

Giving up an asset like that is worth more than 17 or 25m in this market.
Agreed. Above £30m is a fair price.

Rashford counts. Mainoo is too young though ? 21 or older or am I misremembering ?
Amad is 22.
Maybe there's another keeper that would be eligible in lieu of Bayindir ?
With Rashford and Amad that would be 8 including Heaton, Evans, Maguire, Shaw, Sancho, Mount. Very tight especially if we had in mind to offload Sancho or Maguire. Maguire will be kept he seems to be a good dressing room player. There is a youth goalie Mee, he may count? Maybe we only plan to sell Mctominay or wan bissaka to comply with the homegrown rule.

You don’t have to have 8 homegrown players so it is completely irrelevant to us selling AWB and Mctominay.

17 non homegrown players who are over 21 is the important number and we don’t have any issues.

Last edited:
With Rashford and Amad that would be 8 including Heaton, Evans, Maguire, Shaw, Sancho, Mount. Very tight especially if we had in mind to offload Sancho or Maguire. Maguire will be kept he seems to be a good dressing room player. There is a youth goalie Mee, he may count? Maybe we only plan to sell Mctominay or wan bissaka to comply with the homegrown rule.
I feel Maguire will be kept over Lindelof, if he's fine with possibly being #4 in the pecking order. Had a decent enough season and it's hard to deny he exhibited good mentality.

Sancho I could see it being a factor. I'd rather we sell but definitely mean we have to sign an eligible player on the other end of it.

You don’t have to have 8 homegrown players so it is completely irrelevant to us selling AWB and Mctominay.

Well you don't but you're losing a squad slot, unless the rule changed. I'd say it's optimal to comply if possible.

I was frustrated that he wasn't sold last time when West Ham were sniffing around. Seems a lovely guy but just doesn't have nearly enough to keep up with what INEOS are doing with this window (and hopefully continuing to do with future windows)

I would have taken anything over £25m then, I still would now. This will get done soon surely.

There are teams down there who spend plenty of money. For example Forest who finished 4th from bottom have spent £29 million on Sangare last summer and £34.4 million for Elliot Anderson this summer.

Why do you think they opted for those transfers instead of McTominay? Or if they have money on top of Anderson this summer arent in for him?

Theres a reason. Anderson played very well for Newcastle when he actually got a chance last season, but hes Scottish and unlike McTom he didnt get a look in for the euros

Because he wasn't available? Because different teams and different managers have different preferences, tactics and opinions? Because they knew he would have no interest in joining them? There could be many possible reasons one club didn't sign one player, that doesn't have any impact on the discussion, which is that McTominay is obviously worth £30m+ in the current market, and would be a good signing for many (not all) midtable sides.

West Ham offered £30m last summer and United rejected it. So he literally had a market value of £30m. And he's had a better season than his previous ones so his value won't have dropped off the back of it. It doesn't require dozens of clubs to value him at £30m, it doesn't even need more than one club.

I'm sure if you look back at what you've argued, you will realise how nonsensical it is.

Not seen much of him to be honest so can't really give an opnion but I would give any of the young midfielders a chance rather than someone like Eriksen.

McT is not anywhere near our worst perfomers. I don't mind us keeping him.

He is really though, isn’t he. He’s probably the worst of the regular players, if not definitely.

And the goalscoring this was only a purple patch for a few months. His g/a return over his career is poor, and his goal contributions don’t really make up for the overall detriment he brings to the team when he plays.

I feel bad typing that, because he seems like a good guy who is popular with his teammates. But he is just not good enough for United.

Reactions: Cheimoon
Because he wasn't available? Because different teams and different managers have different preferences, tactics and opinions? Because they knew he would have no interest in joining them? There could be many possible reasons one club didn't sign one player, that doesn't have any impact on the discussion, which is that McTominay is obviously worth £30m+ in the current market, and would be a good signing for many (not all) midtable sides.

West Ham offered £30m last summer and United rejected it. So he literally had a market value of £30m. And he's had a better season than his previous ones so his value won't have dropped off the back of it. It doesn't require dozens of clubs to value him at £30m, it doesn't even need more than one club.

I'm sure if you look back at what you've argued, you will realise how nonsensical it is.

Not true at all. The only offer is £17 million. So the value has dropped until someone wants to pay more

Nobody is offering £30 million. Not for McTominay. There are teams that just avoided relegation spending that much on midfielders, buy they dont choose him

Sorry, maybe I missed something: why not? I thought the rule was no more than 17 non-homegrown?

But you don’t have to register 8 homegrown players, it’s not a requirement. You are limited to those 17 and if you want a full squad of 25 the rest have to be homegrown. We only registered 21 or 22 in February and plenty of other teams didn’t register 25 either.

Last edited:
I'm one of those who has a big soft spot for Scottie because I never thought he was as some made him out to be. You just had to set your expectations realistically. He also endeared me as what seems to be a dying breed at United in years past: players who truly seem to have a passion for the badge. That is huge to me. Vibes have very much indeed helped form the success of this club. Not every United player during the success years was a wc talent.

Having said that - if he does leave i hope he goes to clubs like a Dortmund or Ajax. Clubs where i think he can get some good minutes and be a bit of the man, rather than waste away as a bench warmer.

I'm one of those who has a big soft spot for Scottie because I never thought he was as some made him out to be. You just had to set your expectations realistically. He also endeared me as what seems to be a dying breed at United in years past: players who truly seem to have a passion for the badge. That is huge to me. Vibes have very much indeed helped form the success of this club. Not every United player during the success years was a wc talent.

Having said that - if he does leave i hope he goes to clubs like a Dortmund or Ajax. Clubs where i think he can get some good minutes and be a bit of the man, rather than waste away as a bench warmer.

Ajax yes - and I’d be happy to see us take less for a more to a great club like that.

Feck doing any favours for those rats at Dortmund though. He’s far too good for them.

25, 30, couldn't give a toss

needs to be sold as much as I love the guy

Ugarte coming in instead would be an awesome bit of business

Nobody is offering £30 million. Not for McTominay. There are teams that just avoided relegation spending that much on midfielders, buy they dont choose him

Then don’t sell him.

Last year he scored crucial goals in wins against Liverpool, Coventry, Villa, Wolves, Chelsea, Sheffield United and Brentford. Many of those goals off the bench.

We lose or draw all of those games without his goals. We don’t get past Liverpool or Coventry in the Cup and we don’t make Europe.

For a squad that isn’t jam packed with goals from our midfield, how much would it cost us to replace those goals? A hell of a lot more than £17m is how much.

Sell him if a big offer comes in. If it doesn’t - keep him and use him as a Plan B or C sub in a way that benefits the team.

Then don’t sell him.

Last year he scored crucial goals in wins against Liverpool, Coventry, Villa, Wolves, Chelsea, Sheffield United and Brentford. Many of those goals off the bench.

We lose or draw all of those games without his goals. We don’t get past Liverpool or Coventry in the Cup and we don’t make Europe.

For a squad that isn’t jam packed with goals from our midfield, how much would it cost us to replace those goals? A hell of a lot more than £17m is how much.

Sell him if a big offer comes in. If it doesn’t - keep him and use him as a Plan B or C sub in a way that benefits the team.
That’s one take.

Another would be that if he’s sold and upgraded we play better football and don’t need to rely on McT

Jesus! Rely on McT!!! If that’s our hope then we may as well give up

He’s underperformed for far too long. Although underperformed is perhaps unfair. He has performed to what he’s capable…but unfortunately it was just not quite good enough

The cull appears real. I hope it continues. And if we can get close to 50M for McT, AWB that’s great business for me

That’s one take.

Another would be that if he’s sold and upgraded we play better football and don’t need to rely on McT

Jesus! Rely on McT!!! If that’s our hope then we may as well give up

He’s underperformed for far too long. Although underperformed is perhaps unfair. He has performed to what he’s capable…but unfortunately it was just not quite good enough

The cull appears real. I hope it continues. And if we can get close to 50M for McT, AWB that’s great business for me

I’ve already said sell him if someone offers a fee that we can upgrade him with. But we’re not upgrading him with 17m and why use money we need to improve the first team, to upgrade an objectively effective squad option?

But you don’t have to register 8 homegrown players, it’s not a requirement. You are limited to those 17 and if you want a full squad of 25 the rest have to be homegrown. We only registered 21 or 22 in February and plenty of other teams didn’t register 25 either.
Ah, I see what you’re saying. And you can have an unlimited number of players from the youth team to fill out the numbers. Gotcha.

I’ve already said sell him if someone offers a fee that we can upgrade him with. But we’re not upgrading him with 17m and why use money we need to improve the first team, to upgrade an objectively effective squad option?
None of us really know what we can do with what money.

But any money for McT is sold for would be pure profit and could perhaps go some way to a structured deal for another.

Weirdly it’s probably the Zirkzee signing that replaces his contribution to the team rather than signing a midfield replacement. He doesn’t really add much to our midfield but has proven his worth in front of goal.
Agree. His 12 G/A this season was his main contribution and hopefully Zirkzee can have similar or even better numbers. McTominay also basically played number 10 position and we have Bruno, Mount and Eriksen (if he is to stay) for that + few more players can play there.

If Fulham can offer decent fee, it'll probably be accepted.

Cole Palmer statement signing at the end of the window... that lad was born to play for Utd

Ajax yes - and I’d be happy to see us take less for a more to a great club like that.

Feck doing any favours for those rats at Dortmund though. He’s far too good for them.
The same Ajax we paid £80m to for Antony?

Status
Not open for further replies.