McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
The same Ajax we paid £80m to for Antony?

The same Ajax who have always acted with class when dealing with us.

Not their fault we left the inmates in charge of the asylum when it came to negotiations for so long.

Cole Palmer statement signing at the end of the window... that lad was born to play for Utd
Would love it but think he is one of the few Chelsea players who justified their investment in him. Our best chance is if his contract runs down and we come in for him.

Not true at all. The only offer is £17 million. So the value has dropped until someone wants to pay more

Nobody is offering £30 million. Not for McTominay. There are teams that just avoided relegation spending that much on midfielders, buy they dont choose him

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ma...nited-mctominay-maguire-transfer-27476325.amp

We were offered £30m last summer, and he's just had arguably his best season (certainly his best goal scoring season in a more advanced role which will be of interest to clubs).

The same Ajax who have always acted with class when dealing with us.

Not their fault we left the inmates in charge of the asylum when it came to negotiations for so long.

No wonder when we have funded decades of operational budgets on players worth a fraction of their cost.

It's like Kim Kardashian saying the Hermès store manager has always acted with class because he closed the shop for her every time she turned up tl buy a few Birkins.

No wonder when we have funded decades of operational budgets on players worth a fraction of their cost.

It's like Kim Kardashian saying the Hermès store manager has always acted with class because he closed the shop for her every time she turned up tl buy a few Birkins.

We’ve done more for Dortmund and that’s never stopped them acting like petulant dickheads.

Can we not just accept certain players are decent squad options. He is more than good enough to play 20 games a season in lesser games for us.
And by that you mean, "he is good enough to play last 15 minutes of maybe 10-15 games per season, in hopes he will score a Hail Mary goal"?

Because that is the only thing he's done good. And we should have selection of forwards to do that, not McTominay who is a midfielder in theory but horrible at being one, other than some odd goals occasionally

He doesn't do enough to keep around. No ambitious team has people like him. We are better off pocketin 20M if somebody pays us

Can we not just accept certain players are decent squad options. He is more than good enough to play 20 games a season in lesser games for us.

There is nothing wrong with being a decent squad option, he's just not a good enough player in midfield. As a 3rd CF option? Sure.

Sure, gets the odd goal but beyond that, invisible.

£25-30m > "decent squad option"

I like him but now could be a good time to let him go. However, you can't rebuild your whole squad in one season, and the final decision on his future should depend on other midfield outgoings and incomings, unless a potential offer is too good to refuse. If we trigger his +1 contract year, then we can delay his sale to 2025 and we can probably still get similar money to what we would get now.

Sure, gets the odd goal but beyond that, invisible.

£25-30m > "decent squad option"

Agreed. Any fee we bring is a huge boost given he’s an academy player. Zirkzee will come in and occupy his position and easily match his goal production.

I wonder where he fits in for Fulham. If they are seeing him as a Palhinha replacement they're in for a rude awakening and should probably hire better scouts.

OfmRXqC.png

It's time to cash in, he is a very limited player and the fact he's got 200 appearances for this club is a reflection for how truly awful we have been for a long time. If someone offers £25m, we should be all over that.

OfmRXqC.png

It's time to cash in, he is a very limited player and the fact he's got 200 appearances for this club is a reflection for how truly awful we have been for a long time. If someone offers £25m, we should be all over that.
Agree with this. People are referencing his "goals" and how important they were, but if we want to progress as a club I don't think swapping out an actual midfielder for McT during a game and having him crash the box as a shadow striker is a sustainable way of applying pressure like a good team should. This is Lingard after his West Ham loan all over again, because Scott is coming off his most productive season where mid table clubs are happy to have him and give us a solid fee for it. We are better off selling high on the asset instead of sitting there in the match day thread in December bemoaning how he can't pass a fecking football when he has to start because one of our midfielders is injured.

I like him but now could be a good time to let him go. However, you can't rebuild your whole squad in one season, and the final decision on his future should depend on other midfield outgoings and incomings, unless a potential offer is too good to refuse. If we trigger his +1 contract year, then we can delay his sale to 2025 and we can probably still get similar money to what we would get now.
If we can get a decent fee for him being an academy grad it would boost our ffp scenario quite nicely though now. Depending on price I’d keep Case, let Eriksen and Scott go and I wouldn’t sign Amrabat permanently either. Find 2 midfield upgrades and away we go!

He is really though, isn’t he. He’s probably the worst of the regular players, if not definitely.

And the goalscoring this was only a purple patch for a few months. His g/a return over his career is poor, and his goal contributions don’t really make up for the overall detriment he brings to the team when he plays.

I feel bad typing that, because he seems like a good guy who is popular with his teammates. But he is just not good enough for United.
Lindelof, Eriksen, Anthony?

All of them figure regularly and are in my opinion way worse. As soon as you see a combination of a couple of them i a starting line-up you know we're in for a long day.

My point is McT is a lad from the academy. If we can't get rid of 10 players this summer i'd rather see him stick around than a lot of the others.

Obviusly it's going to be hard to pcik and choose who to sell.

If West Ham are in for him it is to replace Soucek, who is quite a similar player, better in the air but not as mobile as Scott, equally limited as a passer.

Selling him is fine, but not just for the sake of the selling him, as much as some may not like it he was one of the more effective players for Utd last season, limitations and all. McTominay himself needs the move, is on pretty much the lowest contract in the first team squad, his next contract needs to be his big one, and his stock is pretty high right now.

£17m is pisstake. This isn't a Greenwood situation where we need to sell. It needs to be a fee that covers a replacement. We sold Fred for peanuts last year when we would have been better off keeping him.

He’s not even in the top ten of players I’d like to see sold first.

Would prefer to see any and all of Greenwood, Sancho, Antony, Lindelof, Casemiro, Wan-Bissaka, Maguire, Eriksen, Pellistri and Hannibal sold first.

If someone offers us a great deal sure - but selling him for 17 or 20m is of no value to us.

He’s on a low wage, loves the club, has come up all the way through the academy and knows how to get a goal when used correctly. He gets dogs abuse for not being a good defensive midfielder.

OfmRXqC.png

United fans really overrate his importance. He's such a limited footballer.

30m is reasonable to accept, but I can see why we value him at 40m. For his faults, you don't get many players who are a regular and proven goal threat in this league.
He averages around 4 league goals per season. Not exactly Lampard numbers.

£17m for McTominay would be ridiculous. Based on current market value, he should be around £40m minimum for a smaller side.

Agree with this. People are referencing his "goals" and how important they were, but if we want to progress as a club I don't think swapping out an actual midfielder for McT during a game and having him crash the box as a shadow striker is a sustainable way of applying pressure like a good team should. This is Lingard after his West Ham loan all over again, because Scott is coming off his most productive season where mid table clubs are happy to have him and give us a solid fee for it. We are better off selling high on the asset instead of sitting there in the match day thread in December bemoaning how he can't pass a fecking football when he has to start because one of our midfielders is injured.

Exactly. If United still needs McTominay as much as they did last season, it means they are having another terrible season. It's also unlikely he would repeat his scoring run.

Status
Not open for further replies.