McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd personally keep him if possible. Sell Casemiro, Eriksen instead.

I think McTominay in 2024 offers more than both of them, bit mad to think about, but realistically it's true. I just don't want us to need to rely on him for anything, but purely as squad depth, he's still got some benefits.

He's not a midfielder. He's a capable second striker (we have bought Zirkzee) or a backup centre-back (we have bought Yoro). We should absolutely sell him if he's taken up a midfield slot in the squad.

Technically there are 2 years left. We have the option to extend by a year.
Thanks. Can see why that may influence club as retains more control on value, cash flow and future budgets which will become even more vital with changing rules.

I heard offers were about £17m range .. given the two £ scenarios (keep or sell) and allowing for his “worth” to squad, I’d lean towards selling still unless Cas and Eriksen going and only one/none MFer coming in. If Ugarte and ANOther MFer coming in, I’d sell… £ ramifications are big.

It's so strange that Fulham reportedly offered more than £30m (more than twice what they offered for McTominay) for Emile Smith Rowe. I get that he's younger but Scott is more accomplished and most importantly much more reliable than ESR.
Smith Rowe is a far superior footballer. McTominay has a few goals in him but is detrimental to any team that actually wants to play football.

McTominay would do well for Everton or Brentford. If Fulham are looking at him as a Palinha replacement then they need to revise their recruitment department

I actually think Fergie would've kept him for quite a while. Fergie got a tune out of all sorts of dross over the years.

He'd have loved Scottie's attitude and physicality. And I think he'd have found a role for him the same way he found one for people like Welbeck.

It took us until last season to find a good role for Scott. That would've happened much quicker.

He'd never have been a first 11 player though and he'd have moved him on if Scott wanted that, like he did for certain players over the years.
He would have sold him long ago because he wouldn’t play a player that hides from the ball, especially a midfielder.

Apart from having a decent shot; he offers nothing on the pitch when the team is trying to play football beyond lumping it into the box and hoping for some luck.

We should be selling BOTH him and Casemiro. Eriksen is the one I feel we should be keeping over the two of them, Amrabat too considering his versatility in midfield and fullback positions.

He would have sold him long ago because he wouldn’t play a player that hides from the ball, especially a midfielder.

Apart from having a decent shot; he offers nothing on the pitch when the team is trying to play football beyond lumping it into the box and hoping for some luck.

I've never seen that in Scott

what I do see is a player who struggles positionally, particularly when he's played out of position which Ole and others did for years

there is nothing about Scott's mentality that suggests he would deliberately hide and there's a huge difference between lacking ability and lacking will

Fergie wouldn't make the same mistakes, he wouldn't keep using Scott as a 6 when it clearly isn't his skillset. Of course he's gonna look lost in our midfield against world class midfielders for City and others, but that isn't hiding. It's just being shit.

Both of which barely beat mctominays goal count last season.
True, but look how dysfunctional we looked with Mctominay in our midfield last season. Do we really want to go through another year of watching him hide from receiving the ball in midfield in the hope that he might pop up with a goal?

True, but look how dysfunctional we looked with Mctominay in our midfield last season. Do we really want to go through another year of watching him hide from receiving the ball in midfield in the hope that he might pop up with a goal?

Depends, would I want to keep him as a regular starting midfielder. Nope. Would I like to keep him as a rotation option to be thrown on when we need a goal? Yes.

We don’t have enough goals in the squad, and whilst we may get more from everybody else, it’s not certain, more a case of hoping. I’d just like us to replace the goals before getting rid of a source of them. If we don’t need him, he won’t play and can be sold next summer.

It’s not like his goalscoring and the way he scores them was likely to be a fluke either, he typically does the same thing for Scotland when used the same way.

if I remember correctly Rasmus had 2x the goals? And Zirzkee had 11 (+8A)?

Rasmus had 16g and 2a and had 20% more minutes than McTom who had 11g and 2a, in addition to Hojlund playing as a striker for the entire time.

I’m not using this as a stick to beat Hojlund with, I genuinely think he’ll come good and I’m not one of his haters. I just don’t think it’s guaranteed he will up his rate massively.

Depends, would I want to keep him as a regular starting midfielder. Nope. Would I like to keep him as a rotation option to be thrown on when we need a goal? Yes.

We don’t have enough goals in the squad, and whilst we may get more from everybody else, it’s not certain, more a case of hoping. I’d just like us to replace the goals before getting rid of a source of them. If we don’t need him, he won’t play and can be sold next summer.

It’s not like his goalscoring and the way he scores them was likely to be a fluke either, he typically does the same thing for Scotland when used the same way.
We do have enough goals in the squad. In 22/23, we scored 108 goals in all comps, with Mctominay only scoring 3 of them. It was only last season that we became dependent on Mctominay's goals as Ten Hag changed to a more chaotic system.

Also, Hojlund and Garnacho are at an age where they're only going to get better and more clinical. This conversation reminds me (to a lesser extent) of when we sold Lukaku and people were worried that we wouldn't have the goals in the squad to replace him, but Ole had faith in Martial and Rashford to kick on and they delivered.

Not good enough to be a starter, but had a decent year last year and is about to start dropping a bit given his age and game style. Now is the perfect time to sell.

Look how dysfunctional we looked without McTominay in our midfield last season.

The biggest issue with the midfield last season was Ten Hag and his unfathomably moronic, cretinous, incompetent set up.

No issues with selling him, it is the right time, but some just want him sold for the sake of selling him.

He must leave because we need this pure accounting profit from this transfer (unlike Casemiro, whose sale would be break-even at best from accounting perspective).

Look how dysfunctional we looked without McTominay in our midfield last season.

The biggest issue with the midfield last season was Ten Hag and his unfathomably moronic, cretinous, incompetent set up.

No issues with selling him, it is the right time, but some just want him sold for the sake of selling him.
We looked less dysfunctional when we had 3 midfielders who would show for the ball instead of Mctominay getting 20 touches a game. As slow and ineffective as Eriksen is, I'd still feel more confident with him in the midfield than Mctominay as at least he's comfortable receiving the ball on the half turn.

Rasmus had 16g and 2a and had 20% more minutes than McTom who had 11g and 2a, in addition to Hojlund playing as a striker for the entire time.

I’m not using this as a stick to beat Hojlund with, I genuinely think he’ll come good and I’m not one of his haters. I just don’t think it’s guaranteed he will up his rate massively.

At least that was his position. McTominay didn’t know how to stay in position. He was a liability off the ball, and shot too much when he had it; I don’t know if he was addicted to scoring, or just didn’t know what else to do with it. Either way, his 11 goals came at a bigger overall cost.

We looked less dysfunctional when we had 3 midfielders who would show for the ball instead of Mctominay getting 20 touches a game. As slow and ineffective as Eriksen is, I'd still feel more confident with him in the midfield than Mctominay as at least he's comfortable receiving the ball on the half turn.
McT started 18 league games last season, of those Utd won 9, meaning from the other 20 games they also won 9, but McT came on to score winners against Brentford and Villa for 2 of those wins. Now they are just numbers and don't really tell you how the games played out but the idea that somehow Utd were a better, more fluent team without him last year does not match my memory of the games and has very little backing it stats-wise that I am aware of.

Utd were a shambles, he was an easy target to blame but it was Ten Hags inept set up that was most at fault.

Spurs managing to get 17 million for Hojbjerg emphasises the fact we should be getting 30 million for Scott.
really surprised that someone would pay 17m for Hojbjerg at this stage of his career....definitely sets the marker for how much we should be able to get for McT

The lack of genuine offers for this guy is telling. If he was half as effective as some on here make out there would be clubs lining up to buy him for the ‘bargain’ price of £30m. There was no real interest in him last year and the same looks likely this year. Beggers belief that he’s played so many games for Manchester United.

I'd sell any midfielder (bar Mainoo and Bruno) that brings decent money to the club to be reinvested. None of them are good enough. If a huge bid comes in for Bruno (80m+) then it should be considered as well

really surprised that someone would pay 17m for Hojbjerg at this stage of his career....definitely sets the marker for how much we should be able to get for McT
I think OM is gambling on getting a CL qualification next season. He should be safe hands for them and they need to replenish their squad.

If Spurs can manage to get 20m for Hojberg we really shouldn't accept anything south of 30m

Lads, Holjberg is a much better midfielder than McTominey and is only a year older.

Some people complaining in the Branthwaite thread and then asking for 40 million for someone who can’t pass, receive the ball under pressure, can’t tackle and can’t play as a 6 or an 8! Madness.

If Hojberg is going for 20M then McTominay shouldn't be going for a penny less than 100M. A much better midfielder in every single way. If we get less than Rice was sold for it's a failure

If Hojberg is going for 20M then McTominay shouldn't be going for a penny less than 100M. A much better midfielder in every single way. If we get less than Rice was sold for it's a failure
If we get less than 100 million it's a failure?

Before last season he averaged like 3 or 4 goals per season. I really wouldn't bet on him getting 10 again.

His value is ultimately whatever a club is willing to pay for him. If nobody wants to buy him for £30m then he isn't worth that much to anyone. I'd happily let him go for less as long as we don't end up very short on numbers in midfield, which is looking quite possible

Hojberg is a much better DM than McTominay

Adds basically nothing to our midfield. He's not aggressive, he doesn't have good passing range, doesn't run with the ball, doesn't play through passes or long passes, it seems like he just hoovers around and gets in the box from time to time. We cant rely on him defensively or creation-wise. Selling him to a mid table club is best for both parties.

Adds basically nothing to our midfield. He's not aggressive, he doesn't have good passing range, doesn't run with the ball, doesn't play through passes or long passes, it seems like he just hoovers around and gets in the box from time to time. We cant rely on him defensively or creation-wise. Selling him to a mid table club is best for both parties.
I've never seen an apparent 8/B2B midfielder more scared or nervous of the ball in possession.

He has no place in the side if ETH is still serious about becoming a possession based team like his Ajax sides

Lads, Holjberg is a much better midfielder than McTominey and is only a year older.

Some people complaining in the Branthwaite thread and then asking for 40 million for someone who can’t pass, receive the ball under pressure, can’t tackle and can’t play as a 6 or an 8! Madness.
PEHojbjerg isn't a much better mid than Scott....he might be better defensively but not going forward
Hojberg is a much better DM than McTominay
yes...b/c Scott isn't a DM which is why we need to move him on for the money to bring in a legit DM

PEHojbjerg isn't a much better mid than Scott....he might be better defensively but not going forward

yes...b/c Scott isn't a DM which is why we need to move him on for the money to bring in a legit DM

He most definitely is a better midfielder because he is a midfielder. McTominay is a second striker for a team with a direct style. He has no business still being at United and he isn’t worth the money being touted in this thread.

His very nature as a player means there are very few top level teams that would want/need a player like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.