McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wish him the best but it’s a step in the right direction for me. Not up to it for us in midfield and I think it’s a decent fee for someone that could only really be a last throw of the dice in games.

He will probably get 10 goals for Napoli this season.
Good luck Scott.

A little sad to see him go, as I've always thought the criticism has been over the top. However, with value in a transfer deal and avoiding a new contract, this is the right move and an example of what INEOS are doing right.

Best of luck in Italy!

Sancho and Lindelof next please
Next summer if we could shift Case, Rashford (I know it won't happen), Antony (same as rash), Maguire, Malacia and Mount (if he doesn't start showing his worth this season), then we would have fixed our wage bill and be in a much better position going forward.

Yeah, that's an interesting & probably very valid perspective, of why some players are so "protected" in the media etc. I can honestly understand a little bit of "sadness" when an academy graduate leaves - especially one who's made so many appearances, but I honestly cannot understand how anyone who's watched us post SAF would be sad or supposedly in Rio's words, feel like "it's a disgrace" when someone like McT is moved on. It's for the best for his own career - getting more minutes under his belt and for our club - if we ever truly want to get back to challenging, we need a better squad.

Anyway, wish him all the best. Hope he smashes it in Italy and under Conte.

There's plenty to unpick here.

This might not be the best move for McT. Sure Napoli are offering first team football. However they are an unstable club with an unstable manager and a half crazy owner. The club might want McT now but things can get very sour, very quickly in 6 months time. I assure you that no one is as patient with players as Manchester United are. Secondly from a financial perspective there's a lot of perks of being a Man United player that goes beyond mere salary. I am referring to sponsorship deals for example. Rio would know that very well.

This move might not benefit Rio as well. Less homegrown talent means less contacts which means less knowledge of what's going on behind the scenes. I feel that these pundits aren't hired for their football acumen which quite frankly I find lacking. They are hired because they know the culture, what's going behind the scenes and will use that information to generate interest. With McT gone than that might be one less player the likes of Rio can rely on for that information. The same shitstorm occurred with AWB and I won't be surprised if the same thing will happen if the likes of Maguire is shown the door.

Seriously if football makes you that angry, maybe that guy needs a new hobby. That's pathetic
Watching that makes me glad my missus doesn't like football. I couldn't deal with it if I'm being honest.

In some ways it's a shame.

Great attitude, good for a goal and an always gave it everything.

Unfortunately there's no doubt it's time to cash in. We need a proper a DM and McTominay has many qualities but he isn't good enough at what his purpose actually is,

i wish him all the best, we can not fault his effort for the club and i think he will do really well in Seria A. Sometimes its just time to move on , its hard to believe he is 27 as i still look at him as a youngster.

And 90% of the forum were advocating selling him to Fulham for a packet of crisps.
Thankfully we finally have some competent people working on our transfers.
I'm all for getting the right value but would you be saying this on deadline day if he was still here and we missed out on Ugarte because of it? Or would you have been screaming about selling him for £20m to Fulham so we could have signed someone else? Let's be fair, absolutely no one was interested in England outside of Fulham, and it's mental that Napoli are trying to sign Scotlands entire midfield. They must have seen something at the Euro's we all missed.

Again Conte is helping us out... Then again, his United signings have been very successful for him.

I think he would have been a good impact sub for us when chasing games, but fair play to him for wanting to chase first team football. Wish him the best.

Makes sense as a large portion of the minutes he got in midfield last season were due to Mainoo/Mount's extended injuries. With Ugarte also being added as DM (where McTominay is worse anyway) his gametime prospects were looking much reduced.

I'm sure he'll do fine for Napoli. He'll continue to do fine for country and we'll be regularly told by the media that we should have kept him while we continue to struggle, but he just isn't good enough and that's all there is to it. Doesn't mean that the rest of the team will suddenly be great but he isn't of the required level.

I'm all for getting the right value but would you be saying this on deadline day if he was still here and we missed out on Ugarte because of it? Or would you have been screaming about selling him for £20m to Fulham so we could have signed someone else? Let's be fair, absolutely no one was interested in England outside of Fulham, and it's mental that Napoli are trying to sign Scotlands entire midfield. They must have seen something at the Euro's we all missed.

Actually, I think we’ve acted like desperate chumps for over a decade, selling players cheaply, and jumping in on deadline day just to pay a price a selling club have been demanding all Summer.
Much better we maximise our profit and pay as little as possible for incoming players, even if that means waiting a few more weeks.

I also don’t think interest in McTom has come completely out of the blue as you seem to imply. There’s likely many more clubs interested in him but making him be interested in them is a different question.

The task now is to develop the team and style now we're not able to call him off the bench for a late winner.

*Gulps*

The lad gets too much hate from our fans. Fair play if he wants to leave for more game time, he’s not a bad footballer but it’s time for him to move on. He’s always been a solid professional, never causing drama, never in the news for doing something stupid. I wish him all the best at Napoli.

This is a great deal for both us and the player, and the kind of business our peers have been doing for years while we wring our hands. Best of luck at your new club and thanks for trying your hardest for us Scott.

To be honest, the deal for once has worked out for both the club and Mctominay. Moving to a Fulham or West Ham would've been a hit to the ego of the player, and you could bet him to always do well against us. Napoli is a prestigious club and provides a good challenge and exposure to him. He will probably continue to play European football (not this season though) and the money we get is also decent. Win-win.

Man Utd has not been good enough precisely because of the players we have on the bench. When our team is fully fit and available we are capable of beating any team in the world. Where we have fallen is that once one of those starters are injured or knackered the drop off in quality of their replacement is too great to maintain our standards.

Selling McTominay is addressing this exact problem, and it's mind boggling that anyone, especially the likes of Rio Ferdinand can't see that. Hard worker, academy lad, great attitude, championship level player and at the end of the day that's all that matters.

Glad to see him go and great to see an academy product go to a big European club but it's unforgivable that we had him around in CM actively avoiding the ball in big games for this long.

Every positive attribute he brought was that of a lesser Fellaini

I read some mad stat on Reddit that he was at United longer than Gary Neville in total and also was at the club before Rooney and Ronaldo.

I made a post 2 years ago about Mcsauce.

Likeable character, a United lad, good time to cash in. No reason for any hate the guy did his best for us.

I still think under competent management and good coaching he could have been a serviceable (if not more) box to box kind of player. He never developed his passing, or shooting in that regard. He could also have been a serviceable DM, kind of a ball chasing / winning player , but cant remember him tackling much either

He is just evidence of poor development this lad. Be it as it may, he helped in games, and he might be bringing back a good transfer fee. That's still a win for us so good luck to him.

25m to a league where he won't Welbeck us every couple of years seems a great deal.

Slightly surprised he was open to moving to a new league, but fair play. Probably does have a lot of affection for the club and it'd probably feel quite a step down going to a Fulham or someone, and weird playing against us.

Again Conte is helping us out... Then again, his United signings have been very successful for him.

Raises an interesting point that if he got the job after Jose could he of won us a few trophies. My memory is hazy but didn’t he leave Chelsea not long after Jose was sacked by us.

A good move for all parties, though given the transfer market as it is, I still think we could have gotten a little more for him. Though we're also terrible at selling generally, so I probably shouldn't complain at £25m.

I've nothing whatsoever against the lad, but he was never good enough for Uniteds level. It's not on him we held onto him for so long, that's on the previous board.

But I wish him well in Italy, their league and slower style of play could really suit him. Good luck McT.

Apologies if this has already been posted and I missed it. But I’ve just read that this 25.4 million sale makes McTominay our 5th most expensive sale of all time.

I thought that must be nonsense at first but if not it sure shows how rubbish the previous regime were at selling on surplus players.

Status
Not open for further replies.