McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was having a poor game but he was the only one who ever looked like he would create a chance. He put one on a plate for Garnacho for that unfortunate offside goal.
What exactly were the rest of our team doing that taking him off made sense, especially for McT.

Literally the only point to having McT in the squad is bring him on at the top end of the pitch to get a goal late on when you're chasing a result.

Literally the only point to having McT in the squad is bring him on at the top end of the pitch to get a goal late on when you're chasing a result.
Not at the expense of the only player who looked like he would create a chance in the first place.

To think someone versed in contract law, overseeing a payroll of £200m a year, wouldnt be able to predict what sort of damage that could do to the club's potential to sell players. We could probably have straightforwardly sold AWB, McTominay and Maguire last summer without these insane clauses.

We didn't trigger the additional year for McT or Maguire so I don't believe those clauses apply. Neither McT nor Maguire wanted to go. Maguire would have taken a big drop in wages and I don't think we felt the bid for McT was enough at the time, not that I agree of course.

Might have not been the best player in the squad, but he gave it his all for the badge. Wish him all the best for the future

Napoli are pretty shite now and I don't think Seria A will be his flavour. I can see him back in the UK within 2 seasons. He drags Scotland by himself sometimes so who knows?

Napoli just won 3-0 and the feel good factor is creeping in with Conte. They should be aiming for top 6 this season if they can bring in Lukaku. Conte doesn't fail often in the league so Napoli should be alright

Reading these comments just makes me question being a member on this forum.

There are so many comments which are personal attacks on a loyal servant to the club and are just offensive. I thought this forum was supposed to be better than the other fan forums where we have constructive debates and conversation about football.

Instead we have a group of simple minded people commenting who show the problem with modern football fans where they just read the headline (moreso transfer tweets) and not read the detail of the articles.

I honestly think we need to find a way to have proper football discussion and raising the standard of comments instead of the constant trolling and just being negative about everything. Honestly do people not realise that people like Goldbridge love it when Man Utd lose as it drives engagement and "business is good" when it happens just like how Arsenal Fan TV was more popular a few years ago when Arsenal were poor.

Anyway rant over but can everyone just improve the standard of their comments
Welcome to the toxic world of the internet.

So much negativity and hate out there these days, its spiralling out of control.

I'd prefer a world where you had one account for all your internet activity which would be set up with your actual ID, it would put a halt to people thinking they can be a complete **** on the internet.

It will never happen though as negative headlines brings in the masses.

I shall now step off my high horse for the day. :)

Not at the expense of the only player who looked like he would create a chance in the first place.

Did he though? He was ineffective and a lot of his attempted passes into our front line were wayward. Those outside of the boot flicks never went were he intended all game.

He took a gamble and and it didn't pay off but it has paid off in the past. It wasn't the crime of the Century.

Welcome to the toxic world of the internet.

So much negativity and hate out there these days, its spiralling out of control.

I'd prefer a world where you had one account for all your internet activity which would be set up with your actual ID, it would put a halt to people thinking they can be a complete **** on the internet.

It will never happen though as negative headlines brings in the masses.

I shall now step off my high horse for the day. :)
I couldn't agree more. I speak to people on the internet as if they were in the same room as me. I am a very friendly person in real life, and I try to be respectful to other peoples opinions, unless they're being blatantly disrespectful. If I think I've upset someone I'll try and immediately make amends as I don't like to think I've made anyone feel bad.

Ive been a member of the cafe for 18 years, and you'll notice my message count is low. Purely because I can't be bothered with insults you get if someone disagrees with you.

I posted something on TikTok the other day about how I thought Conor Benns style was similar to Mike Tysons. The amount of insults I got was unbelievable, I ended up deleting the post as my inbox was being filled with hateful comments.

Sorry for going off topic.

Napoli just won 3-0 and the feel good factor is creeping in with Conte. They should be aiming for top 6 this season if they can bring in Lukaku. Conte doesn't fail often in the league so Napoli should be alright
They did but they lost their first game, so it's a mixed start. Their owner is unstable and their manager too, and top 6 with the squad they already have is actually poor.

Honestly, there are shite players we've sold over the years that I'm sure would dominate amateur football.

Lingard, Van De Beek, Schneiderlin, Kleberson, even Herrera who is admittedly better than the others, but still romanticised by idiot ToP ReDs to an absurd degree because of his nationality. All have a bit of nous and some technical ability. They'd run rings around your average Sunday leaguer.

Even the brainless ones like Dan James, Obertan, Bellion... they'd be too quick and skillful for your average pint skuller to cope with.

McTominay does nothing. He's a low IQ Scotsman who throws himself in the direction of a football and sometimes it hits off him and goes in.

"Oh but he puts in a good shift". Yeah so would a border collie if you put it in midfield. Doesn't mean shite.
‘Shite’, ‘amateur’, ‘romanticised’, ‘idiot’, ‘absurd’, ‘brainless’, ‘pint skuller’, ‘nothing’, ‘low IQ’, ‘border collie’, ‘shite’.

The amount of contempt and hypocritical stupidity of this post leaves me stupidly unable to describe it without resorting to hypocritical contempt myself.

But honestly, what is the worth of such posting on the forum? How is it better than the other things covered by the rules for posting on here?

It just feels that at some point the loudness of disrespect for other people gets so radiant as to outweigh the value of an open forum.

Because United pay high wages, and when United want to get rid of players it's typically to clubs paying substantially lower wages.

Maguire has to take a pay cut to move from United to West Ham. If he is fine with playing for West Ham, but not happy with getting paid less than at United, then he either needs West Ham to pay more, United to cover the difference, or just stay here.
Ah that makes sense. Hopefully with the INEOS team running this club things will slowly start to resemble a competent club.

I think it was a £30m fee but you're right about everything else.

We also negotiated a stupid clause with Getafe where we'd have to pay them a percentage of the Greenwood fee if we sold him to another club. These amateurish deals have to stop with the new structure.
Yeah Getafe one still gets to me even though a few posters around here have defended it because Murtough had no choice. I disagree but I'm just glad he is no longer part of this club.

With Maguire he would have had to take a pay-cut so was looking for compensation for lost wages. Players are also due to loyalty bonus when they're sold. None of this is new or particular to United players.

McT is only on about 60k a week so it should just be a formality of a small loyalty bonus payment.
cheers for clearing this up.

Did he though? He was ineffective and a lot of his attempted passes into our front line were wayward. Those outside of the boot flicks never went were he intended all game.

He took a gamble and and it didn't pay off but it has paid off in the past. It wasn't the crime of the Century.
It cost us the game. His in game management is mostly atrocious and barely ever pays off. In fact this was more normal than when his changes have a positive effect for us. You are right, it’s par for the course for our manager to adversely effect our play with his subs.

It cost us the game. His in game management is mostly atrocious and barely ever pays off. In fact this was more normal than when his changes have a positive effect for us. You are right, it’s par for the course for our manager to adversely effect our play with his subs.

You have no absolutely no way of proving that bringing on McT for Bruno cost us the game.

And I don't know what your last paragraph means or how you're agreeing with me because I never made a point on that topic at all.

I think it was a £30m fee but you're right about everything else.

We also negotiated a stupid clause with Getafe where we'd have to pay them a percentage of the Greenwood fee if we sold him to another club. These amateurish deals have to stop with the new structure.

How many times does this have to be explained?

We negotiated that clause with Getafe because it got him out an playing football at a decent level. It resulted in us received decent money for him this summer with the potential for another decent payout when he next moves. There wasn't a list of clubs queuing up to take the gamble Getafe took, and they deserved to get paid for it.

If it hadn't been for them, we'd have ended up paying out his contract and losing him on a free. How can people not appreciate that 80% of €30m and the potential for 80% of 50% of his next transfer fee is a hell of a lot better business than 100% of nothing?

How many times does this have to be explained?

We negotiated that clause with Getafe because it got him out an playing football at a decent level. It resulted in us received decent money for him this summer with the potential for another decent payout when he next moves. There wasn't a list of clubs queuing up to take the gamble Getafe took, and they deserved to get paid for it.

If it hadn't been for them, we'd have ended up paying out his contract and losing him on a free. How can people not appreciate that 80% of €30m and the potential for 80% of 50% of his next transfer fee is a hell of a lot better business than 100% of nothing?
We had to shove him out the door because the club didn't take the appropriate action until it was forced upon them by media pressure.

If we had taken the correct decision before some daft investigation which took most of the summer (which still arrived at the wrong conclusion), we'd have easily been able to send him on loan without having to incentivise it. Perhaps even a sale if we'd started on it early enough.

We are where we are now. Greenwood is gone and that's ultimately a good thing but it's not really with any thanks to the decisions taken last summer.

We had to shove him out the door because the club didn't take the appropriate action until it was forced upon them by media pressure.

If we had taken the correct decision before some daft investigation which took most of the summer (which still arrived at the wrong conclusion), we'd have easily been able to send him on loan without having to incentivise it. Perhaps even a sale if we'd started on it early enough.

We are where we are now. Greenwood is gone and that's ultimately a good thing but it's not really with any thanks to the decisions taken last summer.

Explain how they "still arrived at the wrong conclusion"?

The rest of your argument is nonsense. Taking decisive action quicker wouldn't change what he did, nor would it have made him any more attractive to other clubs. Suggesting we'd have "easily been able to send him on loan without having to incentivise it" had we done so sooner is simply not based in reality. Financially, the way things have worked out is better than we could've hoped for after what happened.

Even if McTom has a close connection with EtH, the likelihood of the manager still being here in 18 months is almost zero...so there is no reason to turn down 3-4 years in Italy.

I think we will regret letting McTominay go.

Status
Not open for further replies.