McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really can't understand why he played on Saturday if he was on the verge of leaving and therefore not in the manager's plans.
Literally subbed our most creative player when we needed a goal to give minutes to a player who was leaving the club a day later.

Just baffling management it really is.

Who was the genius putting these 'club triggers additional year = player gets % transfer fee' clauses into all our recent contracts? Judge?
I'm not sure what makes you assume there's a clause in McT's contract necessitating a payout. No such clause is needed; it's just a negotiation. If McT doesn't get paid similarly to how he would like, he doesn't have to agree to the deal.

I really can't understand why he played on Saturday if he was on the verge of leaving and therefore not in the manager's plans.
Because the manager is treating it like a game. If Scott scores, he will reject Napoli's offer and demand more. If he doesn't, then the offer will be accepted.

Honestly, some of the posts here are fecking disgraceful, posted by people who have never played a game of Sunday league, never watched a match live, never coached at grassroots level, it's completely disrespectful to professional players especially those like McTominay who has given EVERYTHING for the club since he joined as a boy.

Whilst we drink pints watching United play against City, McTominay played, and played well.

Is he good enough to start at a top club week in week out? That's a different question, but there should at least be a bit of respect put to the name of an academy graduate who earned the respect of some of the greatest managers of all time.

Absolutely bang on.

Who was the genius putting these 'club triggers additional year = player gets % transfer fee' clauses into all our recent contracts? Judge?
I don't think the club has even triggered the additional year in McTominay's contract. Sounds like the previous regime just fecked up every contract.

Respect to him for trying his luck elsewhere and prioritizing his career.

It’s quite standard practice when players don’t put in a transfer request that they can get paid a severance package.
It’s usually paid by the buying club

Even if you hate a player (and you’d need to be a special kind of idiot to hate McTominay who has been nothing but professional), adding a players nationality to your wum/troll every time says a lot more about how big a moron you are

Hopefully, in Italy, he doesn't get decapitated by Connor McLeod.

Or, indeed, Conte himself.

Naples is pretty much a dump. Went there this year, it's one of Italy's poorer cities, dirty, and not a ton to look at. Port city that the jobs have moved out of with run down infrastructure. Food is great though, I'll give it that.

Manchester is a far nicer place to live. Or London, would take that (Fulham) in a heartbeat over Naples. Obviously Naples is a better team, but Italian football is meh. If he wants to play there there's far nicer cities than Naples.
First post to have put down Naples. Still each to their own, I’m pretty sure not many Liverpool players actually live in Liverpool:)

Honestly, some of the posts here are fecking disgraceful, posted by people who have never played a game of Sunday league, never watched a match live, never coached at grassroots level, it's completely disrespectful to professional players especially those like McTominay who has given EVERYTHING for the club since he joined as a boy.

Whilst we drink pints watching United play against City, McTominay played, and played well.

Is he good enough to start at a top club week in week out? That's a different question, but there should at least be a bit of respect put to the name of an academy graduate who earned the respect of some of the greatest managers of all time.
Good post

Never been good enough and I don't subscrible to "he gave his all" crowd but good luck to him, he should do ok under Conte.

AWB’s pay off was because we triggered the extension. McT’s won’t be anywhere near as much.

Reading these comments just makes me question being a member on this forum.

There are so many comments which are personal attacks on a loyal servant to the club and are just offensive. I thought this forum was supposed to be better than the other fan forums where we have constructive debates and conversation about football.

Instead we have a group of simple minded people commenting who show the problem with modern football fans where they just read the headline (moreso transfer tweets) and not read the detail of the articles.

I honestly think we need to find a way to have proper football discussion and raising the standard of comments instead of the constant trolling and just being negative about everything. Honestly do people not realise that people like Goldbridge love it when Man Utd lose as it drives engagement and "business is good" when it happens just like how Arsenal Fan TV was more popular a few years ago when Arsenal were poor.

Anyway rant over but can everyone just improve the standard of their comments

Reactions: golden_blunder
He's nothing more than a Scottish Forest Gump.

An idiot who can run. Well done. Shrub McTavish. Thanks for the memories.
Did Scottie sleep with your wife or something? How is it possible to get this worked up over a player like Mctominay?!

Thank fecking god for that cameo against Brighton. FInally moving on the dross. now its time for Lindelof to feck off as well. The two of the most overdue players in United shirt. At least we could get reasonable fee for Scott.

Get Ugarte and smart loan. We need at least two midfielders.

Agree in part. We
€20m in the bank isn't going to improve our league position or take us further in the cups though is it? If we get injuries in that part of the pitch or if we need to chase a game or two, having McTominay in the squad might.

Which is why it's all about what we do with whatever fee we can get for him. Say Ugarte is dependant on a big sale, then there's value in selling McTominay. Or if the two deals have nothing to do with each other (as the more reliable journos have reported), if selling McTominay lets us bring in a good left back or even a striker there'd be value in that too. In either case we'd need a good fee, rather than this approach of "I don't like McTominay so I want him gone at any cost."

Wanting the player gone just because feelings and not caring about how we benefit after he's gone doesn't exactly scream rationality to me. It's weird how emotionally charged Scott McTominay, of all people, seems to make certain fans. A lot seem to want us to sell better, but at the same time want us to take whatever bullshit offer comes our way for the sake of a slightly improved bank balance.
Agree in part. Wouldn’t just accept 40m for Garnacho and if ever to be sold it would be for top value

McT is just such a limited footballer that has coincided with years of mediocrity and subsequently many hold the opinion that he just shouldn’t be here. Older fans can compare him to Ince, Robson, Keane, Carrick, Hargreaves, Scholes, Butt, Fletcher. And against any of those standards he falls way short

He, for me at least, isn’t a player (even squad player) that is going to get us anywhere close to where we are aiming to be.

And as per original post, imo there are 4 players that should be ahead of him in his best position

Well it was reported recently that under Woodward, players negotiated up to 50% of any subsequent fee if the 1 year extension was triggered. Madness and apparently that's why AWB got a pay-out. We haven't triggered the 1 year extension with McT so this wouldn't be relevant.
Maybe I'm wrong here but I seem to remember us accepting a bid of £40m from West Ham last summer for Harry Maguire. It was also reported that he wanted a payoff in the region of about £7m if I remembering correctly and the whole deal collapsed because of this. I dont remember Maguire having an extension activated in his contract so I'm wondering why this is happening to our players?

There are so many comments which are personal attacks on a loyal servant to the club and are just offensive. I thought this forum was supposed to be better than the other fan forums where we have constructive debates and conversation about football.

Instead we have a group of simple minded people commenting who show the problem with modern football fans where they just read the headline (moreso transfer tweets) and not read the detail of the articles.

I honestly think we need to find a way to have proper football discussion and raising the standard of comments instead of the constant trolling and just being negative about everything. Honestly do people not realise that people like Goldbridge love it when Man Utd lose as it drives engagement and "business is good" when it happens just like how Arsenal Fan TV was more popular a few years ago when Arsenal were poor.

Exactly this. Feels like the ‘… goes into meltdown’ threads are becoming redundant / hollow. Place is a tough read

It’s a tough one for the mods to balance, and probably an huge amount of effort required, but I think there’s a baseline level of decency needs re-establishing.

happy with that fee

did he only have one year left? or did we have an option for another year?

Literally subbed our most creative player when we needed a goal to give minutes to a player who was leaving the club a day later.

Not baffling at all, ETH does rate McT and fancies his chances of getting a goal (and tbf he has done this ) he would rather keep him, but he’s the only player we can offload (because of previous staff and the Glazers) and he’s pure profit. For me the defeat was in ETH as some of the decisions were strange, but as for McT coming on it makes sense for ETH to do it.

Maybe I'm wrong here but I seem to remember us accepting a bid of £40m from West Ham last summer for Harry Maguire. It was also reported that he wanted a payoff in the region of about £7m if I remembering correctly and the whole deal collapsed because of this. I dont remember Maguire having an extension activated in his contract so I'm wondering why this is happening to our players?
I think it was a £30m fee but you're right about everything else.

We also negotiated a stupid clause with Getafe where we'd have to pay them a percentage of the Greenwood fee if we sold him to another club. These amateurish deals have to stop with the new structure.

Because United pay high wages, and when United want to get rid of players it's typically to clubs paying substantially lower wages.

Maguire has to take a pay cut to move from United to West Ham. If he is fine with playing for West Ham, but not happy with getting paid less than at United, then he either needs West Ham to pay more, United to cover the difference, or just stay here.

He is an okay player. Good for bench strength, not good enough for first team.

Doesn’t warrant the comments in here though, if used correctly, he can be a hit at Napoli.

Our style of play has changed so often, and he’s not the most versatile player, mostly fit for a counter attacking/ crossing team.

Given he finds the right team that suits his style, we’ll see a much more productive player, and probably will question why he’s sold for just 30m
Napoli are pretty shite now and I don't think Seria A will be his flavour. I can see him back in the UK within 2 seasons. He drags Scotland by himself sometimes so who knows?

Exactly this. Feels like the ‘… goes into meltdown’ threads are becoming redundant / hollow. Place is a tough read

It’s a tough one for the mods to balance, and probably an huge amount of effort required, but I think there’s a baseline level of decency needs re-establishing.
Reddit is a more balanced place for discussion and that says a lot

With Maguire he would have had to take a pay-cut so was looking for compensation for lost wages. Players are also due to loyalty bonus when they're sold. None of this is new or particular to United players.

McT is only on about 60k a week so it should just be a formality of a small loyalty bonus payment.

Mctominay has had a lot of stick from the fanbase over the years that’s not football related and I do feel like Goldbridge is partially responsible.

I used to bash him a lot until I realised why he’s utilised by so many managers and why Fred was sold so quickly and he wasn’t.

Whether you think he’s good enough or not is one thing but the personal attacks are strange. He’s had the best attitude of all our players when we were at our lowest.

Respect to McTom, I wish him well, albeit I don’t think Napoli under Conte is a stable career move.

Our most creative player who was having a terrible game where absolutely nothing he attempted was coming off?

I'm not sure the sub was all that baffling in the context.

Our most creative player who was having a terrible game where absolutely nothing he attempted was coming off?

I'm not sure the sub was all that baffling in the context.
He was having a poor game but he was the only one who ever looked like he would create a chance. He put one on a plate for Garnacho for that unfortunate offside goal.
What exactly were the rest of our team doing that taking him off made sense, especially for McT.

Naples is pretty much a dump. Went there this year, it's one of Italy's poorer cities, dirty, and not a ton to look at. Port city that the jobs have moved out of with run down infrastructure. Food is great though, I'll give it that.

Manchester is a far nicer place to live. Or London, would take that (Fulham) in a heartbeat over Naples. Obviously Naples is a better team, but Italian football is meh. If he wants to play there there's far nicer cities than Naples.

As a complete aside, why do we even bother making up English versions of City's names?

Napoli isn't exactly hard to pronounce.

It's my favourite city and I love the vibe of it. You either love it or hate it though. I tend to go regularly nowadays and can't see that changing

Status
Not open for further replies.