McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems a lovely kid and I would have loved to have seen him improve to the level we need him to be. He never did. We've been carrying way too many not-good-enough players. Sadly, several are on immense wages and can't be moved. I hope he improves or is used in a system more suited to his talents.

Di Marzio who is pretty reliable for Italian clubs. So i'm guessing that's what his source at Napoli briefed him. Said McTominay still has some issues to settle with us. So sounds like another Wan-Bissaka.

He signed a deal until 2025 so we won't have triggered an extension. With AWB my understanding was that it was the extension which meant he was entitled to a % of the fee.

Napoli still need to agree terms with McT but hopefully we're able to persuade him to go, if needed, and it gets done quickly.

So we now have Mainoo, Casemiro, Eriksen, Mount, Collyer and Bruno for the 3 midfield spots?

Eriksen cant last 90... Casemiro looks done too.. Bruno is hardly ideal playing deep. We really are stretched thin.. we need more than just Ugarte...
Rabiot.

Ugarte Mainoo Bruno

Casemiro Rabiot Mount

(Plus Collyer/Eriksen).

Fecking Lindelof still here like a Swedish leech that won’t go away

Fecking Lindelof still here like a Swedish leech that won’t go away
What does this have to do with McTominay?

I think he’s gone soon too btw. If not, he also won’t see many minutes this season.

Anyway, good luck to Scott! A true professional and a true Red, always a good servant to the club. The last time I felt this sad about a transfer is when we sold Evans, or O’shea, or Brown.

Will miss you Scottie, but its time everyone moved on.

We can't afford to have a midfielder who is scared to be on the ball.

Getting 30m is an absolute windfall for us. Sending him to another league is even better. Well done to the new management.

The rebuild is truly underway now.

Hopefully we get rid of Sancho and Lindelof before the window closes.

What does this have to do with McTominay?

I think he’s gone soon too btw. If not, he also won’t see many minutes this season.

Anyway, good luck to Scott! A true professional and a true Red, always a good servant to the club. The last time I felt this sad about a transfer is when we sold Evans, or O’shea, or Brown.
At least Scott being sold brings something to the coffers but Lindelof rather continue to live in anonymity and not get minutes. Tells you all about his priorities, Swedish Captain happy to be 5th/6th choice CB than get first team minutes.

I'm not convinced he's happy to go to Napoli. Not sure why. Hope I'm wrong and this gets done quickly so we can get Ugarte in.

The last time I felt this sad about a transfer is when we sold Evans, or O’shea, or Brown.

Same here. One of our own. I understand the reasoning but can't help but to feel a bit gutted to see him go.

Who are the attainable options?
Thats the big question. It also depends on the fee as well. Hopeful that maybe the scouting may have identified a youngster for the future, who maybe can be bought now instead of waiting 12 months.

Fair play to McT. He may not be good enough for United, but he has always been operated as a squad player where his status and paid is fairly reflected, however the biggest issue is those that who earns top salaries that we are supposedly paying for elite talent and top level consistency, sadly these so called ‘super stars’ are the ones that will hold us back for years to come.

At least Scott being sold brings something to the coffers but Lindelof rather continue to live in anonymity and not get minutes. Tells you all about his priorities, Swedish Captain happy to be 5th/6th choice CB than get first team minutes.
How do you know he is happy with that? You need someone to buy you before you can leave... Or do you think he just will rip up his contract and miss a lot of money?

We've had far too many like him over the years. Glad Ineos is cleaning house.

Must be a great life to be a shite footballer at United.

You get to play regular football despite not being any good. You get paid a fortune for doing so. Then when it's time to move on, you get to demand a pay off from the club before you do.

Then when you do go, you get a bunch of people online singing your praises "ah he's a good lad, I'll miss him, top red".

Good riddance. He was rubbish. In another life, he'd be fitting tyres for a living.

I'm not convinced he's happy to go to Napoli. Not sure why. Hope I'm wrong and this gets done quickly so we can get Ugarte in.
I reckon it's mint living as a rich man in the south of Italy and getting to play football for a living. I'm sure he'll be sad when he's putting his feet up by his pool next week.

Genius move! Remove ability for Erik to make stupid subs.

If this had happened a day earlier maybe we'd get a point with Brighton :lol:

Last edited:

You get to play regular football despite not being any good. You get paid a fortune for doing so. Then when it's time to move on, you get to demand a pay off from the club before you do.

Then when you do go, you get a bunch of people online singing your praises "ah he's a good lad, I'll miss him, top red".

Good riddance. He was rubbish. In another life, he'd be fitting tyres for a living.

Some people really don't understand how good at football you have to be to be a mediocre PL footballer.

Are you sure he didn’t fit your tyres badly?

Some people really don't understand how good at football you have to be to be a mediocre PL footballer.

Haha. True.

However, it always does amaze me that some players have a horrible first touch or absolutely cannot use their weaker foot. Which makes me think how much more the game can improve overall.

Good luck Scottie. Always liked him but he wasn‘t good enough. Better than leeches like Sancho though, who we cannot get rid off.

Still good deal all around. However we need two CM now.

Like many have said, Scott has put a shift in here, his attitude cannot be faulted, sadly he hasn't displayed the ability to deliver what we need at United from a midfield player with any degree of consistency. It's a shame others with much more ability haven't applied themselves like Scott has. Timing has gone against him for sure, he's been asked to play in midfield for one of the poor United teams over recent years.

It's the right move for him, wish him nothing but the best.

Di Marzio who is pretty reliable for Italian clubs. So i'm guessing that's what his source at Napoli briefed him. Said McTominay still has some issues to settle with us. So sounds like another Wan-Bissaka.
can I ask why this seems to be the case for Utd players leaving? I dont seem to read this about other clubs when they sell their players.

Quality control
Honestly, there are shite players we've sold over the years that I'm sure would dominate amateur football.

Lingard, Van De Beek, Schneiderlin, Kleberson, even Herrera who is admittedly better than the others, but still romanticised by idiot ToP ReDs to an absurd degree because of his nationality. All have a bit of nous and some technical ability. They'd run rings around your average Sunday leaguer.

Even the brainless ones like Dan James, Obertan, Bellion... they'd be too quick and skillful for your average pint skuller to cope with.

McTominay does nothing. He's a low IQ Scotsman who throws himself in the direction of a football and sometimes it hits off him and goes in.

"Oh but he puts in a good shift". Yeah so would a border collie if you put it in midfield. Doesn't mean shite.

can I ask why this seems to be the case for Utd players leaving? I dont seem to read this about other clubs when they sell their players.

Well it was reported recently that under Woodward, players negotiated up to 50% of any subsequent fee if the 1 year extension was triggered. Madness and apparently that's why AWB got a pay-out. We haven't triggered the 1 year extension with McT so this wouldn't be relevant.

Please don't take your terrible choice of tyre's out on McTominay. Mmmmmkay.

Hopefully McTominay can agree terms and this can be done.

Good deal, time for Scott to move on.

I’ve always rated Scott McT. I think he’s a great impact player, he’s got an eye for a goal and his height and energy can always cause issues for weary defenders. I’ll miss him.

We are finally showing a bit of competency in the transfer market. Getting rid of McTominay and AWB shows what direction we want to go in.

Great deal for us and wish him all the best. He was a useful player for us, always gave his all for the shirt and always professional, which can't be said about players still within our squad.

Seems a lovely kid and I would have loved to have seen him improve to the level we need him to be. He never did. We've been carrying way too many not-good-enough players. Sadly, several are on immense wages and can't be moved. I hope he improves or is used in a system more suited to his talents.
Spot on and wish him all the best. Just for clarity - McT was seemingly one of the very very few we had on a good/reasonable wage, so that’s no slight on him and probably a big part of the reason we’re able to move him on without too much drama.

Would be delighted to see McTominay leave tbh, not the level for centre midfield for years and years yet gets far, far too much play time due to being reliable and rarely getting injured.

Just not good enough, which is fine for a few seasons. Not for 255 games, and 43 last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.