McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
While renewing Contract of Fernandes rather than selling him raises doubts about our New management whether they know what they are doing and whether they can get United back competing .

But moving on likes of Wan-Bissaka and Mctominay also gives me hope that may be alright and while they might make mistakes along the way but eventually they will get it right sooner rather than later .

I know he's coming off the back of a decent goalscoring season, but he has 29 goals for us in 7 odd full seasons, he's not quite the threat we're lead to believe.
Yep. One good season on that front basically, albeit he had a different role before that.

While renewing Contract of Fernandes rather than selling him raises doubts about our New management whether they know what they are doing and whether they can get United back competing .

But moving on likes of Wan-Bissaka and Mctominay also gives me hope that may be alright and while they might make mistakes along the way but eventually they will get it right sooner rather than later .
We're still working on sending Sancho to Juve for at least the season as well.

If that's settled I'll have been happy with our outgoings during this phase 1 this summer, much more proactive and serious about moving on than in the past.

Never nice seeing an academy lad leaving but it's for the best. Napoli are a wonderful club in an amazing country. Hope he enjoys it!

Hey, he's clearly good enough to get put on when we need a goal for our captain and most important player. He must be a player this McTomminay guy!
He actually played quite well yesterday, IMO, as opposed to vs Fulham. Maybe he knew it would likely be his last outing for Man Utd?

You certainly could argue that Scott’s 110 or so league starts for Man Utd tells a damning picture of our leadership’s lack of ability to reinforce midfield in a proper way, but simultaneously it tells ssimething about qualities he has had in terms of determination, application and off field attitude to get so often ahead of more costly investments like Herrera, Fellaini, Pogba, Matic, Fred, Van de Beek, Eriksen, Mount and Amrabat. For any player comming up through the academy ranks, that’s an impressive feat in itself.

Good luck, McT!

There’s somebody at Napoli getting paid an obscene amount of money to identify players. His list this summer is Gilmour, McTominay and Lukaku.

Pretty deep shit when you think about it

I know he's coming off the back of a decent goalscoring season, but he has 29 goals for us in 7 odd full seasons, he's not quite the threat we're lead to believe.
True, but we haven't scored many goals.

Never nice seeing an academy lad leaving but it's for the best. Napoli are a wonderful club in an amazing country. Hope he enjoys it!
They'll love him over there, the club has terrific fans and connection to the city.

Think he's a great fit for what Conte will try to do to bring them back to the level they were at over a year ago when they dominated the league

A frustrating player at times, but certainly not a pantomime villain that'll be whistled on a return trip. Whatever his limitations, he at least tried his best in an era when many others failed to do so much as that.
He'll get a very good reception and rightly so. Pereira who did miles less with us than McTominay always gets a decent one. Most players coming back do. Elanga did when he came back at the very start of last season. Him behaving like a tool since will have burnt that one, mind.

We're still working on sending Sancho to Juve for at least the season as well.

If that's settled I'll have been happy with our outgoings during this phase 1 this summer, much more proactive and serious about moving on than in the past.
It would be brilliant window overall and best part is you could actually see there is well devised plan in terms of our transfer strategy both in terms of outgoings and Incomings .

There’s somebody at Napoli getting paid an obscene amount of money to identify players. His list this summer is Gilmour, McTominay and Lukaku.

At least the last two names sounds like Conte himself requested.

Well, it seems like this transfer is coming to an end. I'll miss him but, did need to be upgraded. United finally got the price they wanted and rightly so.

It's always good to cash in on academy products but, it's usually quite an emotional sell.

Good luck in Italy.

They're just trying to keep Conte happy :lol:

The minute they stop and he'll be out the door

I will be sad to see him go . There are a load of players I rather we moved on before him , always gave everything and a good guy. I wish him all the best and he will be missed. Good Luck Scott

I think it’s the right thing to do (sell him).

He just doesn’t fit any of what we are looking to do currently or in the future. Not enough quality on the ball and more impactful as a disruptive presence in and around the penalty box. That said he’s too limited to keep in the squad for this reason alone so 30m for a youth player that cost us nothing is good value.

Conte seems to be mildly obsessed with United cast-offs

The problem is neither is anyone else in the squad.

That’s totally wrong. He had a bad knee injury just as he was getting into the Scotland team. He’s been injured for ages. Ferguson will be part of the Scotland team big time moving forward.
I know, the comment was meant to be tongue in cheek. I don't actually believe that Zirkzee playing well directly made Scott McTominay attractive to Napoli. That would be a bit silly :lol:

I also like Ferguson, and he was good before Zirkzee became a fixture at Bologna.

With Ugarte coming in I think this is the right move.
Although with our current lack of goals and poor finishing this seems like quite a substantial loss, he was quite dangerous last season in front of goal.

That's very good news. I wonder if 30m pure profit on the PSR balance sheet would allow us to bring in Ugarte plus another one.

Casemiro and Mainoo are both fecked after 70 minutes. Another body in midfield (who can do some actual midfield things) would be a godsend.

Conte will look after him and Scott will play as hard as Conte wants him to.

Who will be more useful for the Liverpool game though, McTominay or Ugarte?

I'm hoping Ugarte is now signed quickly enough to play a part in that game. Atleast be on the bench as he could be useful for the game.

At this stage in our squad overhaul, tough decisions have to be made. We have to let decent players go with a view to signing better players.

Only Eriksen, Hannibal, Lindelof and Sancho remain to be sold this summer. If we can replace them now or next year with better players we're going to have a great squad.

Next year we can also look to replace Shaw, Rashford and Maguire. One season away from a top level squad is exciting even if you may want to press fast forward on the process, top 4 is key for this season to attract the players we really want next season too.

We'll need someone else to give us goals McTominay did last season (perhaps Zirkzee will). He's in his prime and I'm happier to see him go to Italy instead of another PL club (hoped the same about AWB). 30M euros is good business as his contract is expiring in 10 months.

This probably gives us funds for Ugarte but I do hope there's something left for potential purchase of a LB, another midfielder or striker (at least on loan).

Agreed. Still, it was pretty stupid to extend Bruno but they are getting rid of the right people at least.

If he goes for £25million plus ..And Ugarte comes in.. Good all round, then I'm hoping Eriksen goes and we can get A player like Rabiot on a free ??

Good to move on from McTominay.

We're short on numbers in CM however. Even though it wasn't really Scott's position, we relied on him to appear there a fair bit because of a lack of options.

We're now left with Casemiro and Mainoo...Ugarte hopefully joining. And then bit part contributions from Eriksen and maybe Collyer...don't want to see Mount in a midfield 2 at all.

I guess we can't do it all in one window but feel we need a replacements for Eriksen and Casemiro sooner rather than later. Hopefully Ugarte hits the ground running and Collyer surprises people.

Just hope they start recruiting correctly. The best way to avoid having to clear out “deadwood” is not signing it in the first place.

He has always been low down in my "deadwood list". Academy player, gets it, physical, will run himself into the ground... decent if limited squaddie with a knack for goals, which we lack.

His exploits for Scotland make his stock higher than that of our deadwood though. Absolutely not his fault, but we also have a manager that somehow thinks bringing him on for Bruno yesterday made sense. My Ferguson-influenced love for dependable squaddies goes out the window the moment they can be turned into WMDs. The game was there for the taking and it all evaporated instantly.

Good luck to him, give his minutes to other more promising prospects.

Agreed. Still, it was pretty stupid to extend Bruno but they are getting rid of the right people at least.
I am just hoping Bruno's extension was just a temporary measure to buy truce with Bruno as he was beginning to make bit of fuss and they just didn't want too much upheaval too soon .

I believe next season could be the one where Ineos might look to move bigger names .

Status
Not open for further replies.