McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent news and probably the best outcome for all parties. Conte gets his guy, McT can be a regular starter at a relatively big club (it's an upgrade from Fulham) we can now sort out a deal for Ugarte.

I can’t believe this. Finally. This is a joyous day for me. Wish the guy all the best in his next chapter.

He seems a good lad and I wish him all the best.

We probably would have taken up the contract option for an extra year but at 27 now he isn't going to get significantly better, nor should we have been giving him a new long-term deal. Therefore it feels the right time and we've got a decent fee.

So Napoli want to buy 2 Scottish midfielders? Contes been dropped on his head
It's all thanks to Zirkzee.

He made Lewis Ferguson look so good he won Serie A midfielder of the year when he couldn't get ahead of McTominay at international level. The Italians must think Scotland is the hotbed of midfield talent.

Thank you Conte you wig wearing saviour.

I'm sure Mctominay will score plenty in that league. He's been a good servant for us. Never moaned and clearly loves the club. But now is the right time for him to move on. Hope we face Napoli in Europe at some point so we can give him the reception he deserves.

He made Lewis Ferguson look so good he won Serie A midfielder of the year when he couldn't get ahead of McTominay at international level. The Italians must think Scotland is the hotbed of midfield talent.
In fairness, between Ferguson and Aaron Hickey, it seems to be a fairly good pathway for Scottish talent to play in a higher league.

But I've been told repeatedly that no one will pay 30m for him and we should have just sold him for whatever?
It's approximately £25m. Still more than Fulham offered though, which was £20m.

It's a decent deal all in all but his value has gone down marginally since last season when we accepted £30m from West Ham.

Di Marzio has just tweeted stating the fee is slightly higher at €30.5m / £25.8M but I'm unable to insert tweets as I need 1 more like on my profile

I’ll be sorry to see him leave, but happy for him on a personal level, because the way he’s been treated by so called fans of his childhood club has been a disgrace.

He’s suffered from being misused consistently, and was never a starter for us, but he’s a good player and squad option and I hope he has a great career.

Losing a guy who always gave his all in the shirt, while we hold onto guys like Sancho and Rashford isn’t going to be the magical improvement so many of you think it is.

Good luck to him. Had his moments and his usage but there was an obvious celling in his talent. He can be very proud of his career till now with us and Scotland.

Hey, he's clearly good enough to get put on when we need a goal for our captain and most important player. He must be a player this McTomminay guy!

Good fee for a good squad player, to me he was similar to fellaini - happy we can finally move on and wish him all the best

Jokes aside He's been a good servant to the club TBH.

Serie A clubs lack physicality which is something I believe Conte want to exploit thanks to the likes of McT and Lukaku

I can't lie, as much as I'm glad he's being sold, there's something in the back of my mind saying it isn't the best move at the moment when we're struggling for goals. Maybe I'm just being paranoid but it's there.

If there's any money left over after signing Ugarte I hope we can sign an attacker of some description, even if it's another 18 year old, we need a Rashford alternative.

Don't see this being simple even with a fee agreement. He'll definitely be after some degree of loyalty bonus now the precedent has been set.

But I've been told repeatedly that no one will pay 30m for him and we should have just sold him for whatever?
£25m is lower than what West Ham offered last year which we should have accepted immediately but its still something at least. He's not even close to the standard required to win titles and contend regularly in the Premier League.

I am sure he will do well out there and he is a good character. Agree he has been badly misused here and they have tried to mould him into something he isn't, instead of using his goalscoring as a strength.

Ferguson was injured, which is why he wasn’t in our squad at the Euros this year.

Always thought he came in for unfair criticism at times but he will do well at Napoli in serie A.

Are there any messages about him willing to play for Napoli? I think it's a great transfer for him, but does he think so, too?

It's great to have an agreement between Utd and Napoli, but the player needs to have an agreement too ...

I can't lie, as much as I'm glad he's being sold, there's something in the back of my mind saying it isn't the best move at the moment when we're struggling for goals. Maybe I'm just being paranoid but it's there.
I know he's coming off the back of a decent goalscoring season, but he has 29 goals for us in 7 odd full seasons, he's not quite the threat we're lead to believe.

I know he's coming off the back of a decent goalscoring season, but he has 29 goals for us in 7 odd full seasons, he's not quite the threat we're lead to believe.
He played as a center back under Mourinho and in a double pivot under Solskjær. Last season was the first he played in his best role.

Good deal in fairness in the end.

Still think we'll need more than just Ugarte, a few goals gone from the squad now with mctominay.

All the best to him. He's had some good performances for us over the years but agree he lacks composure and passing ability in midfield.

Ferguson was injured, which is why he wasn’t in our squad at the Euros this year.
I know, the comment was meant to be tongue in cheek. I don't actually believe that Zirkzee playing well directly made Scott McTominay attractive to Napoli. That would be a bit silly :lol:

I also like Ferguson, and he was good before Zirkzee became a fixture at Bologna.

A frustrating player at times, but certainly not a pantomime villain that'll be whistled on a return trip. Whatever his limitations, he at least tried his best in an era when many others failed to do so much as that.

True. However he's a player that "has a goal in him" so to speak. We don't have many of those in the squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.