McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's because you have a brain.

What a statement. As in if someone disagrees, he doesn't have a brain? Are we equating football opinions - subjective in nature - to intellect? And of course your position is the right one. Depressing.

McTominay has done nothing to justify a 30 million valuation. One argument: no one wants to pay that amount.

What is your intellectual argument? That he is a "decent squad player"? You should have no issue to substantiate that position, having a brain and all that.

What a statement. As in if someone disagrees, he doesn't have a brain? Are we equating football opinions - subjective in nature - to intellect? And of course your position is the right one. Depressing.

McTominay has done nothing to justify a 30 million valuation. One argument: no one wants to pay that amount.

What is your intellectual argument? That he is a "decent squad player"? You should have no issue to substantiate that position, having a brain and all that.
Quite simply because wanting a player "gone at all costs" isn't a sensible or rational position. Extracting maximum value is the aim, and there is no inherent value in McTominay just not being in the squad. There is value in him being replaced by a better player, but that only happens if we sell well.

By the way, there's no need to take everything so literally. If doing so is making you depressed I would seriously advise against it :p

I would go for Angel Gomes.

Of course i don't know if he wants to come back but he would be perfect.

- A United boy
- He can easily replace Mainoo's game (Of course not on the same level).
- I don't think his price will be above 40 million.

A midfield with Casemiro, Mainoo, Ugarte, Gomes, Collyer and Kone could really control most matches under the right coach.

Edit: I would not be surprised to see him in the next England squad (if he is fit)......he was outstanding in the U21 team for title last year.....under Carsley.

Angel Gomes is 5ft6. He can't play in a deep player maker role in a the base 4-2-3-1 formation in the EPL. If we're going for the youth academy route then I believe that Garner is more suited for the role. I'd love to see him back at United but Everton would probably ask us to break the British record for transfers since we did so for Roy Keane a few decades back.

Last edited:
Who have you got in mind to rotate with Mainoo

Quite frankly I'd invest in a LB at this point. Shaw and Malacia are toast and Mazraoui and Dalot can't cover 2 roles for the entire season. However if we're going to sign someone then it depends on how much money Uncle Ratcliffe still has in his pockets.

Cheap option: Rabiot. His salary is high but we got rid of some high earners hopefully and he's on free. Rabiot would slot beautifully in a 4-2-3-1 system

Mid range option: Daniel Baloca, Samuele Ricci, Nicolo Rovella

Expensive option: Zubimendi.

We haven't been linked to any CM's, however if we can sell both maybe there is a target who has been kept under wraps if the opportunity presents itself through selling those two. I know that sounds a mad theory but it could be the plan.
We saw how bereft midfield is creatively when Bruno was inexplicably taken off against Brighton. Handing the initiative over in a defeat. It is a real concern.

It seems there are 2 groups here. The first group is the "gone at all costs" because they think he's shite.

The second group think he is/was a decent squad player but needs upgrading and rightly think the club needs to hold out for maximum value.

20 million is too low. Anything above 25m and this probably gets done.
I think he is a good squad player but we are in danger of killing off good squad players and not replacing with quality. We need a squad. But we seem intent on selling off more assets cheaply than we are actually bringing in

Take the money and give Rabiot his wages.

Transfers aren’t going to change our season but atleast we will have the tools should another manager take reign.

Let’s be honest, we need to accept if we want to get rid of him but he is worth way more than €25m

Mufcmpb shouldn’t be taken seriously. The tweet (or whatever) by Sport Witness tells a different story. I am unable to post the tweet by Sport Witness. It says “Scott McTominay | €25m offer ‘appears to have been accepted’ by Manchester United. Optimistic claim transfer on way, feels at least a little premature”

Sky italy just said united aren't budging from their €30M valuation and Napoli are pivoting on Gilmour

Quite simply because wanting a player "gone at all costs" isn't a sensible or rational position. Extracting maximum value is the aim, and there is no inherent value in McTominay just not being in the squad. There is value in him being replaced by a better player, but that only happens if we sell well.

By the way, there's no need to take everything so literally. If doing so is making you depressed I would seriously advise against it :p
So I think his defenders would argue his best position is No10

But ahead of him for that role should be Bruno, Mount, Zirkzee, Amad

There’s no value keeping him when we could get even 20m for him

He just isn’t needed.

And the further back he plays, the worse he becomes

Almost scored the winner yesterday. Anyway hope he does well at Napoli and we use the funds to boost the attack as well as Ugarte

He’s coming on for us at the moment to chase a goal / play as an attacker.

How do we replace that?

Once Hojlund is fit he will be starting and that moves one of the attacking players currently starting ahead of McTominay back to the bench.

How do we replace that?

Not very easily, Eriksen or Mount coming on instead aren't going be chipping with 10 goals this season.

I just hope we intend to bring another forward in if he goes, and not just Ugarte

Reliable?
it's yesterday's news, and apparently not. Latest is Napoli don't want to offer 30 and United don't want to accept less

To be sure, it's 5M euros of difference and it feels like brinksmanship more than anything. Be surprised if it doesn't happen at this point

How do we replace that?
By introducing a cohesive attacking system where we create high quality chances instead of resorting to a battering ram. We've been here before with Fellaini.

it's yesterday's news, and apparently not. Latest is Napoli don't want to offer 30 and United don't want to accept less

To be sure, it's 5M euros of difference and it feels like brinksmanship more than anything. Be surprised if it doesn't happen at this point
Jeez, thanks. Here's hoping it gets done soon.

So mctominay will be waiting for his suitcase for a while.

It's not an ideal world if we are having to rely on McT providing clutch goals in the dying moments of the game.
Obviously not but for ETH I think it is. He doesn't seem able to get a tune out of our forward players.

Obviously not but for ETH I think it is. He doesn't seem able to get a tune out of our forward players.
Then ETH will be out. I have supported him at the backend of last season where I felt he was hamstrung by a lot of off field issues. The new executive team have done everything they can to help him from getting his players to replacing half the coaching staff and medical staff. I have no doubt they will get rid of him if they feel he's not upto the task even after all this and to be honest, I'd say it's deserved too.

Players as limited as McT have no business being in this squad for as long as he did. He continues to survive season after season. I really hope yesterday was the last time I've seen him playing for us.

So I think his defenders would argue his best position is No10

But ahead of him for that role should be Bruno, Mount, Zirkzee, Amad

There’s no value keeping him when we could get even 20m for him

He just isn’t needed.

And the further back he plays, the worse he becomes
€20m in the bank isn't going to improve our league position or take us further in the cups though is it? If we get injuries in that part of the pitch or if we need to chase a game or two, having McTominay in the squad might.

Which is why it's all about what we do with whatever fee we can get for him. Say Ugarte is dependant on a big sale, then there's value in selling McTominay. Or if the two deals have nothing to do with each other (as the more reliable journos have reported), if selling McTominay lets us bring in a good left back or even a striker there'd be value in that too. In either case we'd need a good fee, rather than this approach of "I don't like McTominay so I want him gone at any cost."

Wanting the player gone just because feelings and not caring about how we benefit after he's gone doesn't exactly scream rationality to me. It's weird how emotionally charged Scott McTominay, of all people, seems to make certain fans. A lot seem to want us to sell better, but at the same time want us to take whatever bullshit offer comes our way for the sake of a slightly improved bank balance.

Please, I've had enough of him. It's not his fault entirely for the last goal, but for me, just proved how little awareness he has apart from what's right in front of him. We need better.

€20m in the bank isn't going to improve our league position or take us further in the cups though is it? If we get injuries in that part of the pitch or if we need to chase a game or two, having McTominay in the squad might.

Which is why it's all about what we do with whatever fee we can get for him. Say Ugarte is dependant on a big sale, then there's value in selling McTominay. Or if the two deals have nothing to do with each other (as the more reliable journos have reported), if selling McTominay lets us bring in a good left back or even a striker there'd be value in that too. In either case we'd need a good fee, rather than this approach of "I don't like McTominay so I want him gone at any cost."

Wanting the player gone just because feelings and not caring about how we benefit after he's gone doesn't exactly scream rationality to me. It's weird how emotionally charged Scott McTominay, of all people, seems to make certain fans. A lot seem to want us to sell better, but at the same time want us to take whatever bullshit offer comes our way for the sake of a slightly improved bank balance.
20m of pure profit can go towards signing a better player

Status
Not open for further replies.