McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems there are 2 groups here. The first group is the "gone at all costs" because they think he's shite.

The second group think he is/was a decent squad player but needs upgrading and rightly think the club needs to hold out for maximum value.

20 million is too low. Anything above 25m and this probably gets done.

Would put myself in the second group

We're only getting 20m-21m bids for McT from random sides. Its shocking considering how rated McT is with the local crew. Maybe actual football people are noticing things that we biased fans are not?

We're only getting 20m-21m bids for McT from random sides. Its shocking considering how rated McT is with the local crew. Maybe actual football people are noticing things that we biased fans are not?

Yeah, I’m in @baskinginthesun’s first group as well. I don’t think McT is terrible but he’s clearly not a player ETH rates and nor do I think the type of manager I’d want to replace him if it doesn’t work this season would want him either.

We’ve been trying to sell him for 2 years and at some point you have to accept you aren’t going to get your valuation. As such, there is no value to protect here. We either sell him now, have to extend his contract to leave us in a similar position next summer or lose him for free (which would just be embarrassing after having the chance to get £20m+ for him). Absolutely essential he’s sold this summer for whatever we can get for him.

It seems there are 2 groups here. The first group is the "gone at all costs" because they think he's shite.

The second group think he is/was a decent squad player but needs upgrading and rightly think the club needs to hold out for maximum value.

“Gone at all costs” doesn’t appear to reflect anybody’s view. 20m isn’t nothing. It covers the cost of 40-50% of most of our summer signings.

Yeah, I’m in @baskinginthesun’s first group as well. I don’t think McT is terrible but he’s clearly not a player ETH rates and nor do I think the type of manager I’d want to replace him if it doesn’t work this season would want him either.

We’ve been trying to sell him for 2 years and at some point you have to accept you aren’t going to get your valuation. As such, there is no value to protect here. We either sell him now, have to extend his contract to leave us in a similar position next summer or lose him for free (which would just be embarrassing after having the chance to get £20m+ for him). Absolutely essential he’s sold this summer for whatever we can get for him.

I love games like bg3 and elden ring. In games like that you have to have a clear vision of your play style and put the stats accordingly

McT is like a character who was built by a 4 year old. He is tall and physical but he lacks the anticipation and positioning of a DM and the stamina of a b2b. He's got an eye for goal but he lacks the vision and the technique of a no 10. In many ways he's a poor man fellaini as he lacks the aggression fellaini had

I think there's a third group which thinks that an academy player like Scott has earned the right to do what he wants, he doesn't owe use anything and if he wants to go to Italy to play for Napoli, the club shouldn't stop him from going just because we don't get the exact transfer fee we want.

If there's a 20m bid on the table and Scott asks the club to accept it, then we should.

I would be in the second group. As much as I want Mct gone because he's not good enough for us or doesnt fit our style of play, the fact remains he would be a good player for a lot of other clubs. He's experienced, young, got European football and current International football under his belt and in the right setup, can score goals.

I have a hard time accepting he's only worth £20m when I see a whole load of nobodies being announced like 'Joe Bubblegum' going from Accrington Stanely to Grimsby for £25m.

A lot of fans on here are fed up with United being fleeced when it comes to buying players and want the club to change the mentality of paying too much, but that also goes for selling. We don't want to be seen as mugs who'll sell players for peanuts just because we don't value them in our particular system anymore.

Except Lukaku is far more useful in Italy and McT only has one year left - so he will go for free in a year, if we don't stop being idiots about it and make some profit while we can
He won't go for free in a year. If he stays, we will 100% trigger his 1 year extension clause. He essentially has 2 years left on his contract - same situation as Wan-Bissaka last summer.
Who have you got in mind to rotate with Mainoo
I would go for Rabiot if his wage demands aren't ridiculously high.

I said it last summer and I’ll say it again: not taking £20+ million straight profit for McTominay will be one of the single stupidest transfer decisions the club has made in its existence.

He’ll be out on his ear on a free a year or two down the line. And if he’s playing we’ll have significant problems.

I’d say the “gone at all costs” group is a minority because that’s an extreme position. Others simply just think the £20-£21m offers were receiving is decent enough business for him. Not sure where I’m at, probably somewhere between group 2 and the above. Just don’t want us haggling over a couple of million and he ends up staying. Guess we’ll see.

I would be in the second group. As much as I want Mct gone because he's not good enough for us or doesnt fit our style of play, the fact remains he would be a good player for a lot of other clubs. He's experienced, young, got European football and current International football under his belt and in the right setup, can score goals.

I have a hard time accepting he's only worth £20m when I see a whole load of nobodies being announced like 'Joe Bubblegum' going from Accrington Stanely to Grimsby for £25m.

A lot of fans on here are fed up with United being fleeced when it comes to buying players and want the club to change the mentality of paying too much, but that also goes for selling. We don't want to be seen as mugs who'll sell players for peanuts just because we don't value them in our particular system anymore.

We’re currently seen as mugs who overvalue our players and then see them leave on frees or for very low fees when we are absolutely desperate. This perpetuates the financial problem as we buy high and then don’t sell.

Lingard is the poster boy for this. We created the perfect scenario to sell him for decent money with the West Ham loan and then held out for too much money to actually sell him. We cannot continue lose out on £20m for these mid-tier players just because we think they are actually worth £30m, despite all offers we receive indicating to the contrary.

I liked this part best:
"United are keen to offload the 2-year-old with his contract running out next season"

I’d take the same money Fulham were offering if it means he goes abroad. Just get it done if the Ugarte deal hinges on it. Get him in for the Liverpool game.

All the people in group 2 have short memories. We tried pulling this shit with Romero, Rojo, Bailly, Darmian and Lingard. They all went for free apart from Darmian who went for a couple million.

I agree that he's probably worth more than 20m, but if that's all we're being offered, then we should accept

Based on all available evidence I think today is his last game at United.

Who have you got in mind to rotate with Mainoo
I would go for Angel Gomes.

Of course i don't know if he wants to come back but he would be perfect.

- A United boy
- He can easily replace Mainoo's game (Of course not on the same level).
- I don't think his price will be above 40 million.

A midfield with Casemiro, Mainoo, Ugarte, Gomes, Collyer and Kone could really control most matches under the right coach.

Edit: I would not be surprised to see him in the next England squad (if he is fit)......he was outstanding in the U21 team for title last year.....under Carsley.

Last edited:
He won't go for free in a year. If he stays, we will 100% trigger his 1 year extension clause. He essentially has 2 years left on his contract - same situation as Wan-Bissaka last summer.

I would go for Rabiot if his wage demands aren't ridiculously high.

Seems his wage demands are too high because still not yet managed to find a club

Just take tye 20 and get him out. How he continues to pick up more appearances for this club is a travesty. He'll nearly have as many as vidic if he stays.

Showed why he needs to be sold, we desperately need more options instead of Mainoo and Casemiro not someone who is just on to score a goal in handful of games. We have three playets who want to be the number 10 but not even one 6 or 8 who can play 90 minutes.

He had two nice turns which commentators loved, he then needlessly lost the ball after both which they ignored. Kind of sums up what he is all about.

I’d say the “gone at all costs” group is a minority because that’s an extreme position. Others simply just think the £20-£21m offers were receiving is decent enough business for him. Not sure where I’m at, probably somewhere between group 2 and the above. Just don’t want us haggling over a couple of million and he ends up staying. Guess we’ll see.
I mean, there have been plenty posters exclaiming they'll take a few million just get him gone. However, you're right, it's a bit of an extreme position after re reading.

With Napoli's bid rejected, we're not really sure how far away they are. But, it has to be close.

30M euros would be good business with his contract expiring in 10 months. Also he came through academy so cost nothing and been part of the team for more than 7 years now.

Needs to go. The thing he offers (Goals and defensive height) come at a cost - Loss of control + untenable “kitchen Sink” attack

Replacing him also needs to be better thought out.

This team is crying out for

- A tall ball secure deep midfielder with some defensive/playmaking chops
- a more traditional 8 to rotate with Kobbie or show him the ropes
- an aggressive ball winner terrier

Ugarte ticks only one of those boxes (ball winner) but surprising that’s the one role where I’m comfortable with our alternatives

We lack real control. We have for a long time.

I said it last summer and I’ll say it again: not taking £20+ million straight profit for McTominay will be one of the single stupidest transfer decisions the club has made in its existence.

He’ll be out on his ear on a free a year or two down the line. And if he’s playing we’ll have significant problems.
Oh please. The Antony, Sancho, and Casemiro transfers would all be much worse wastes of money even if McT had completely zero value by staying on the roster, and that's just in the last 3 years!

You know the idea of putting players we want to get shut of in the shop window?

With Scott we’re better off doing the exact opposite of that in case we put off any potential buyers.

United need to be realistic. 21M is big money outside of the UK and its not as if there's a queue of clubs outside OT fighting to get their hands on the Scottish Zidane.

I mean, there have been plenty posters exclaiming they'll take a few million just get him gone. However, you're right, it's a bit of an extreme position after re reading.

With Napoli's bid rejected, we're not really sure how far away they are. But, it has to be close.
Yeah let’s hope so, bud, so all parties can move on! But yeah, there always seems to be 2 extreme positions on the Caf (probably life in general, isn’t it?). But again, I don’t think those valuing McT at the upper end is generally an extreme. I think £25m - £30m is actually reasonable in today’s market. Oh well.

Come on Napoli, didn't you see he was good today? Pay up that extra €5m. You know he's worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.