McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, with the fees going around for Smith Rowe and Skipp then McTominay should be fetching £40m+. He’s a good player if not great.

Where will we stand with the homegrown quota after selling Mct?

Collyer and Amass have come into the first teams squad so I don’t think it makes any difference.
They don't need to be registered at their age but we're still at 8 with Heaton, Maguire, Evans, Shaw, Mount, Amad, Rashford & Sancho

Last edited:
Greenwood, £26.7m. Plus potential for more with the 50% sell on clause.

we are only are getting 80% of whatever that 50% is since we agreed to give Getafe 20% of all future money we get for Greenwood to take him for a year because Murtough and them hoped it would all blow over and they could stick him right back in the team and we'd never have to pay Getafe anything

McTominay gets a lot of stick, but it's actually refreshing to see one of our players attract some selling interest. Normally it's trying to shove someone out and getting crickets.

Where will we stand with the homegrown quota after selling Mct?
Remember its a maximum foreign quota of 17.

It's not a minimum homegrown quota, you can technically have zero homegrown I guess, but obviously you wouldn't fill your full 25 places.

Under 21s dont have to be registered also. Amad counts as homegrown, Garnacho will too once he's old enough to be registered.

The last I checked we have 16 foreign players but lindelof will leave, Pellistri will leave and hopefully Eriksen leaves and brings it down to 13. So we've got plenty of room to play with for the rest of the window as long as we get rid of the unwanted.

He offers feck all on the pitch anytime we play, wow he got a few goals one season and we finished eight! That's amazing! Note the sarcasm. He's just not good enough if we want to get back to the top, even as a squad player.
He's be okay signing for a mid table club.
Not sure why I got that reply, when literally rhe entire crux of my post was that he’d be a good signing for a mid table club. At no point ever did I say he was good enough for United. That said I don’t ascribe to your “he offers nothing” hyperbole, but I did point out he had no place in our system.

Tactical?

Kinda makes it look like we don't need to raise funds to buy another midfielder. Posturing over Ugarte simply because he doesn't meet our valuation.

What was the last player we might sold that had so many clubs thrown into the rumours recently though ?

would be an absolute no brainer sell, especially anywhere near 30 million. Be pure profit, and is clearly a player we need to move on from. Use that money to bring in an actual midfielder who can ensure we actually create chances consistently and dont just have to hope for some random moment in a box.

Not if our first teamers do their job and squad players like McT do theirs.
The problem is that McTominay isn’t a squad player. He plays a lot of minutes, and no team with aspirations of winning titles is going to get there by giving players like him so many minutes.

The top teams don’t have a two class system and neither should we. Every player needs to be able to perform at the highest level.
Not every top team is City, Real had Joselu scoring goals for them last year while they played Vini and Rodrygo as starters in a flat 4222 formation. Considering our inability to score goals, I think we can find a role for McT if he is willing to stay.

The problem is that McTominay isn’t a squad player. He plays a lot of minutes, and no team with aspirations of winning titles is going to get there by giving players like him so many minutes.
I think that's very naive way of putting things. Onana also plays a lot of minutes, we obviously have no one better. McT played last year because our other options were pants, of course we should have better starters. At the minute our other CM options are Casemiro and Eriksen, imo both are not up to standard.

Fulham aren’t going to pay 30m for him and I doubt anyone else will either. Not selling him would be a big mistake, take the lower fee and move on from another player who simply isn’t good enough. At least with Mctominay we will actually get a fee, a lot of the other deadwood will leave for nothing.

Fulham aren’t going to pay 30m for him and I doubt anyone else will either. Not selling him would be a big mistake, take the lower fee and move on from another player who simply isn’t good enough. At least with Mctominay we will actually get a fee, a lot of the other deadwood will leave for nothing.
They’re paying £25 for Berge

If we have Ugarte and McTominay I'd prefer it to Ugarte and Berge.

I'm convinced Ugarte gets done anyway.

I think that's very naive way of putting things. Onana also plays a lot of minutes, we obviously have no one better. McT played last year because our other options were pants, of course we should have better starters. At the minute our other CM options are Casemiro and Eriksen, imo both are not up to standard.

What’s naive about it? If McTominay is starting games on a regular basis for us then we’ve got problems.

Our midfield options are poor, particularly in deeper areas. So much so that our season rests on a 19 year old being available every week. So you won’t find me disagreeing with you about its state.

But McTominay is part of that problem. He’s been a big part of it, infact. We can’t force him to leave this summer, and we can’t force Fulham to pay £30 million either; however if we renew his contract with a view to playing regular football here then we clearly haven’t moved on as a team.

If we have Ugarte and McTominay I'd prefer it to Ugarte and Berge.

I'm convinced Ugarte gets done anyway.

Yeah, Id have been happy with berge as a mctominay replacement, but if ugarte is coming, im also happy to keep mctominay,

Casemiro, Ugarte, Mainoo, Mount, Fernandes, McTominay are good options.

Status
Not open for further replies.