McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is that helpful though? We're trying to build a new culture where a) clubs can't rinse us and b) clubs can't take the piss ... so how is selling a decent asset for "any fee" good business sense?

Nevermind the fact that he represents pure profit from a PSR perspective so it's in our best interest to get as much as possible... £20m does feck all for us in the market anyway.
Yard sale!

How is that helpful though? We're trying to build a new culture where a) clubs can't rinse us and b) clubs can't take the piss ... so how is selling a decent asset for "any fee" good business sense?

Nevermind the fact that he represents pure profit from a PSR perspective so it's in our best interest to get as much as possible... £20m does feck all for us in the market anyway.

In reality we're not going to get what you consider appropriate. Not today, not tomorrow, never.

No one really wants them. They're not that great. Getting rid of them is better than keeping them around, just to say "uh ah, we're Utd, we don't get bullied in the market". No one cares.
I salute walking away from crazy demands if we want to buy but if we want go get rid of whoever it is, let him go. I personally believe that there is no point in keeping failures around. It's infectious.

The new culture should stand on merit. Being a good player, being a positive, not a burden.
I want less of "is ABC a good asset to keep around?", and more of "XYZ didn't work out, he must go". That is the culture I want.

All that football manager stuff ("assets", "profit", "resale value") is totally immaterial to me. It's business stuff. Not culture.

30 million pounds? There's no way.

That would have to make for a new national holiday?

If this is true we can wrap up the Ugarte deal now cant we?

Yes and no

We aren’t suddenly going to meet the asking price for Ugarte just because we have money coming in, we still want to pay what we believe a reasonable price is for Ugarte

Yes and no

We aren’t suddenly going to meet the asking price for Ugarte just because we have money coming in, we still want to pay what we believe a reasonable price is for Ugarte
Pure guess on my part but if we have a verified sale and all incoming money accounted for over the X next years Fulham and United would agree to, we can perhaps offer a better structure for PSG without changing the total sum.

I think the club are right to hold on to the valuation they expect. You don't shift expectations when you start caving at crunch time.

I would hope that his sale facilities another midfield signing which strengthens the overall team (particularly defensively) so we aren't as wide open. Hopefully this would mitigate some of the need for the goals that McTominay would have brought, and other players would hopefully start contributing (particularly Zirkzee and more from Hojlund) to fill that void anyway. I hope that the forwards can fill that hole, and I guess at some point you need to go ahead and give them the chance to do that or there's no point them being here (and if we can't replace his goals through Hojlund, Zirkzee, Rashford, Garnacho, Amad, Bruno and Mount that's a big problem tbh).

Either way at some point I think we have to cut the cord on our dependency on him while he has sale value. I wouldn't be particularly happy if the end result was having to offer him a new contract given his limited skillset (which we all complain about) or him leaving on a free.

Last edited:
We might need the money for a LB too. So, like many have posted here, it helps in Ugarte deal but don’t think we are judging on our valuation of Ugarte

If this is true we can wrap up the Ugarte deal now cant we?

Sky Sports did say Fulham are coming back in with an improved bid, I'd be surprised if they jumped from £20m to £30m, though.

Also then the obvious issue of -- will he prefer Fulham to Napoli?

Let this be true.

30m in the bank

But more importantly…we don’t have to suffer McT for another season

How has he developed since leaving?
He is very good player (Of course ar away from world-class).....he starts for Lille.....he was one of the main players for England's U21 title last year.....so if we want a quality back-up for Mainoo then he would be perfect.

Sky Sports did say Fulham are coming back in with an improved bid, I'd be surprised if they jumped from £20m to £30m, though.

Also then the obvious issue of -- will he prefer Fulham to Napoli?

£25 +£5m would be believable.

Where will we stand with the homegrown quota after selling Mct?

I'd take this with a pinch of salt until some reputable English media back it up.
They even added "Pending confirmation" in that post

nJQT6SK.png

Fulham always end up making several signings in the last couple days of the window, if they're still interested I can see this being dragged out until the end of next week.

Not surprised after seeing how little Smith-Rowe offered them.

Imagine beating them then finessing them out of so much money for McTominay. Brutal.

We might need the money for a LB too. So, like many have posted here, it helps in Ugarte deal but don’t think we are judging on our valuation of Ugarte

Feel conflicted on this because we need one but also feel another 8 to rotate with Mainoo is useful. I hate the fact we are having to sacrifice one of them due to our recent poor dealings

As in "accept any fee".

Maguire and McTominay are still our players and get games for us. Both are shining examples for our mediocrity. The day both leave, we'll be better off.
Hmmm.....
In reality we're not going to get what you consider appropriate. Not today, not tomorrow, never.

No one really wants them. They're not that great. Getting rid of them is better than keeping them around, just to say "uh ah, we're Utd, we don't get bullied in the market". No one cares.
I salute walking away from crazy demands if we want to buy but if we want go get rid of whoever it is, let him go. I personally believe that there is no point in keeping failures around. It's infectious.

The new culture should stand on merit. Being a good player, being a positive, not a burden.
I want less of "is ABC a good asset to keep around?", and more of "XYZ didn't work out, he must go". That is the culture I want.

All that football manager stuff ("assets", "profit", "resale value") is totally immaterial to me. It's business stuff. Not culture.
Not sure how you can class him as a failure. What has he failed at, exactly? Contrary to that, why hasn't someone like Mainoo failed as well? He also finished 8th last season and won the same FA Cup as McTominay.

Secondly, the business stuff is extremely vital and important to a football club for any success. I get you "want rid of" but, extracting market value for him means a lot more breathing space to do other deals. Selling him for £10m doesn't really do much for us and hamstrings us in other deals even though it's pure profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.