McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
They’re paying £25 for Berge

Not surprised they have moved on, was the same story last summer, teams just don’t value Mctomiany as much as people expect. I can’t see Napoli offering more than 20m so most likely he ends up staying again.

What’s naive about it? If McTominay is starting games on a regular basis for us then we’ve got problems.

Our midfield options are poor, particularly in deeper areas. So much so that our season rests on a 19 year old being available every week. So you won’t find me disagreeing with you about its state.

But McTominay is part of that problem. He’s been a big part of it, infact. We can’t force him to leave this summer, and we can’t force Fulham to pay £30 million either; however if we renew his contract with a view to playing regular football here then we clearly haven’t moved on as a team.
Agreed, having so many people at the club rating him has always been an alarming sign and that doesn't seem to have changed.

I'm not really fussed if McTominay stays anyway, particularly if we keep playing this system with 2 midfielders ahead of the double pivot on a regular basis. He's an option as one of the advanced pair along with Mount, Fernandes, and Zirkzee, with Hojlund as the genuine centre forward option when you wanna go that way.

That's obviously assuming that Ugarte/some other DM isn't contingent on him going, which I don't think is the case. I guess if McTominay leaving could fund another quality player (maybe a really good natural left back) that'd be great. But it's not really clear what McT leaving actually accomplishes yet in terms of what we'd do with his fee.

I genuinely don't understand the fandom for McT (which you don't see anywhere else) - he's symbolic of how standards have declined because he would be nowhere near getting regular playing time at City, Arsenal or Liverpool and, despite what some people want to believe, no club is paying us £30m for him. The evidence is there in front of us: we might wish for a bigger bid, we might point to whoever selling for whatever, but none of the assorted mid-table 'meh' sides - he's obviously not going to Brighton - are going to offer much more than £20m, maybe with a few add-ons.

I'm hoping INEOS has the smarts to get him through the door - he's one of a bunch of players who are simply not going to be part of our 4-5 year plan.

I genuinely don't understand the fandom for McT (which you don't see anywhere else) - he's symbolic of how standards have declined because he would be nowhere near getting regular playing time at City, Arsenal or Liverpool and, despite what some people want to believe, no club is paying us £30m for him. The evidence is there in front of us: we might wish for a bigger bid, we might point to whoever selling for whatever, but none of the assorted mid-table 'meh' sides - he's obviously not going to Brighton - are going to offer much more than £20m, maybe with a few add-ons.

I'm hoping INEOS has the smarts to get him through the door - he's one of a bunch of players who are simply not going to part of our 4-5 year plan.
He's weirdly symbolic of our poor team. Covering up being a average player by scoring goals and papering over the cracks.

Heh, out of all our players put on the market this summer, I'd thought McTom would be the easiest to move on.

I'm hoping INEOS has the smarts to get him through the door - he's one of a bunch of players who are simply not going to be part of our 4-5 year plan.
Does he have a fandom? I don't care if he stays or goes and looking through this thread that's about as pro-McTominay as it gets.

I'm hoping INEOS has the smarts to get him through the door - he's one of a bunch of players who are simply not going to part of our 4-5 year plan.
Wasn't it Jose that gave him his start, somehow thinking him being a big lad would make him a powerful midfielder. The goals here and there blindside people. Trouble is for him he cannot play deep as has no positional sense, he cannot dictate play, not a tackler, cannot make regular productive passes. He is probably an attacking midfielder vyingng with better players for a spot. Maybe they should just put him up top while Rasmus is out as he started as a striker when younger.

Second summer in a row we’ve outpriced him on totally reasonable offers. feck sake.

Heh, out of all our players put on the market this summer, I'd thought McTom would be the easiest to move on.
Me too. We could have shifted him last summer but he's now a declining asset, where £20m will be nearer £15m in 12 months - it's the same with Sancho: nobody is giving us £40m so we need to do a deal at c£30-35m, because it's otherwise £25m next year.

Second summer in a row we’ve outpriced him on totally reasonable offers. feck sake.
They weren't reasonable offers. I've been critical of the club on transfers, not on this. Watching dickheads like Smith Rowe go for 35 and Oliver Skip going for 25. Nah I'm sorry but United are not being unreasonable on what they want.

3-4 year job for INEOS to unwind the damage done by a Glazer model that consistently bought high and sold low If we even sold at all. One of biggest weaknesses has been the inability to take decisive action to shift players out, at the right time and right price.

They weren't reasonable offers. I've been critical of the club on transfers, not on this. Watching dickheads like Smith Rowe go for 35 and Oliver Skip going for 25. Nah I'm sorry but United are not being unreasonable on what they want.
When I saw what Oliver Skipp went for earlier I knew we would never accept a low offer.

Last year was the time to sell, but we turned down 30m. Then he went and scored 10 goals (big goals usually as well), and his value has gone down?

I get the club holding out for more.

What we might want - and we actually don't know: it's guesswork - is fairly obviously not what the market is willing to pay. We need to adjust our expectations and will be doing that as part of a longer-term plan.

Last year was the time to sell, but we turned down 30m. Then he went and scored 10 goals (big goals usually as well), and his value has gone down?

Scott can be used as a No. 10 if we need a goal. Just don't use him as an actual midfielder.

Scott can be used as a No. 10 if we need a goal. Just don't use him as an actual midfielder.
hopefully if we become a well oiled team, we won’t be in such dire straits that we regularly need to send on Scott for the last 5 minutes as a Hail Mary.

So Fulham would bid 20+5 for Berge but not for McT? Because if United rejected a similar offer, then that is baffling

We should replace him with Jerry Puddleduck, 6ft 8 Frosinone CM - 8 goals in 14 games last season and available for about £9m.

McTominay symbolises everything that's been wrong at United for the last decade. Young talent initially with big hopes, but talent wise, ultimately ends up stagnating becoming a mediocre player. But we held onto him for years longer than we should have. Like Martial, Fred, Lindelof...Rashford has become another one.

We should have got rid of him a few seasons ago.
Not everything - players having entitled attitudes has been a big problem (see Pogba, Lingard, Rashford, and Henderson.) I don’t see that with McTominay; he’s just not good enough.

So Fulham would bid 20+5 for Berge but not for McT? Because if United rejected a similar offer, then that is baffling
I feel like I’m being gaslit into thinking a player I don’t actually rate, might in fact be worse than I thought. You’d think he’s worth 25m in this market, and yet…

Scoring goals and leaving your position empty for the most part, and not being able to make a single successful forward pass certainly doesn’t increase your value. Managers and technical directors surely understands that.

This is not FPL.

With a year left on his contract.

We can cry about what clubs are getting for Skipp and Smith Rowe all we like. The fact is those players are much younger, have higher sell-on value, and were on longer contracts at their selling clubs.

£30m was a great offer last summer and whatever Fulham’s final bid turned out to be - at the very minimum £20m - was a good offer this summer.

McTominay has a year left with the option for a further year — that option is only able to be exercised in the final year. And if we do that, we will end up in a similar situation to Wan Bissaka who wanted a payout for leaving because he was going to go on a free if he stayed the year anyway.

With a year left on his contract.

We can cry about what clubs are getting for Skipp and Smith Rowe all we like. The fact is those players are much younger, have higher sell-on value, and were on longer contracts at their selling clubs.

£30m was a great offer last summer and whatever Fulham’s final bid turned out to be - at the very minimum £20m - was a good offer this summer.

McTominay has a year left with the option for a further year — that option is only able to be exercised in the final year. And if we do that, we will end up in a similar situation to Wan Bissaka who wanted a payout for leaving because he was going to go on a free if he stayed the year anyway.
True, as I said above the time to sell was last year. 20m isn’t such a bad offer though, and if getting a much needed starting DM depends on it, I’d absolutely have taken it

Genuinely think he would be great at a Brighton or a Crystal Palace type team. And a club like Brighton could be good for him too. Hope he gets something sorted that benefits all parties, but not super sad if he stays.

I feel like I’m being gaslit into thinking a player I don’t actually rate, might in fact be worse than I thought. You’d think he’s worth 25m in this market, and yet…
He has one year left on his contract and he's 27. If he had 3 years left, sure go ahead and ask for 30M. But that ship has sailed.

Clubs lower down the table all also try and play some modern football now. As nice as McTominay’s 7 league goals he scored last season are, he averages fewer passes a game than about 94% of the midfield world in Europe. Clubs aren’t unaware of that fact.

McTominay absolutely has his uses - but those uses are limited, plus all the stuff in my above post about age and contract length - hence why no club is willing to meet the valuation of the £30m we* seem to be pining for.

I say we* as the fans. Suggestions seem to be that the club are happy for him to stay and we won’t push him out. That’s cool, we aren’t that sort of club. But he plays in a position we desperately need to strengthen and is the only one in there we can get some good money for and is actually expendable.

Status
Not open for further replies.