McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s basically 2 years though, isn’t it? For bargaining purposes that is.
No, because the option is only exercisable in his final year. Otherwise we would’ve just exercised that option right now and be in a stronger bargaining position?

No, because the option is only exercisable in his final year. Otherwise we would’ve just exercised that option right now and be in a stronger bargaining position?
Yeah but it is his final year, isn’t that what Fulham are saying? When Fulham say ‘he’s only got one more year, here’s 20m.’ We can say ‘actually we’ve just activated an extension clause, now it’s 2 years’.

Yeah but it is his final year, isn’t that what Fulham are saying? When Fulham say ‘he’s only got one more year, here’s 20m.’ We can say ‘actually we’ve just activated an extension clause, now it’s 2 years’.
I wonder if it can only be exercisable in the last 6 months. We triggered Wan Bissaka’s on the 3 January 2024 when it was set to expire this summer.

If we activate the clause, then we would have to pay him off ala AWB.

When I saw what Oliver Skipp went for earlier I knew we would never accept a low offer.
I don't understand why some of you guys don't understand that the main problem is the wage of McTominay (He earns probably the 4-5x of Skipp).....Bayern Munich have the same problem mit Goretzka.

We should have accepted a 20 million offer for him.

Just wondering are the finances that bad we don’t sell him for €20 Million? Perhaps they are not bothered and working on Sancho going to PSG in the exchange for Ugarte…Sancho and McTommy out and that’s €360,000 a week off the books. Let’s hope Napoli come in for him

Right, maybe that’s why they are going for a relegated midfielder rather than a 37 caps last season for Manchester United?
Ever think it’s because either they can’t afford him or he doesn’t want to go to Fulham?

No you just jump straight to “he wouldn’t get in the Fulham team” narrative

I don't understand why some of you guys don't understand that the main problem is the wage of McTominay (He earns probably the 4-5x of Skipp).....Bayern Munich have the same problem mit Goretzka.

He’s only on £60k isn’t he? It’s in the scope of any club who’ll be interested in buying him.

Ever think it’s because either they can’t afford him or he doesn’t want to go to Fulham?

No you just jump straight to “he wouldn’t get in the Fulham team” narrative

Maybe you are right. I just don’t see why any team would go after him.

At least get your facts right before lecturing people :lol:

Skipp was on 40k /week at Spurs and McTom on 60k /week at United.

The Skipp deal if anything, proves United’s valuation for McTominay is pretty fair.

The club being willing to sell McTominay is good. Maybe we're a bit hopeful with our valuation, but he's worth £25m I think. It's a reasonable price.

However, the reason most people aren't jumping over the moon to see the back of him is because apparently we should sell him so we can buy the likes of Berge, Ugarte or whatever bargain-bottom deals are available at the moment.

Doesnt seem like Ten Hag wants to lose him or McTomminay wants to go. And the fee listed isnt going to attract the bidders. He's staying, and its for the best if we can still sign Urgate or another midfielder. McTomminay should only be told for the price we want.

Nah, I have made peace that he’s going to retire here. The guy could survive any manager. How many managers now?

If we can still get Ugarte without selling him then I’d rather keep him. We are going to have a major issue scoring goals this season and he’s a good option from the bench when we need one. Now we’ve finally learned he isn’t a 6 he’s a good squad player - Eriksen should be the one leaving to accommodate Ugarte.

Any credible links to Jerry Puddleduck as a potential replacement? I hear he’s a box to box midfielder with a heart of gold and a never-say-die attitude. There’s nothing on Chilevision yet though and believe me, I’ve been checking every 45 seconds for the last two months.

Guess he's either getting an extension or leaving on a free then. Silly really but I guess no surprise. Managers seem to like him.

They wanted him away
But when asked he said nay nay
He is going to stay
Our very own McTominay

If we can sign a midfielder without selling him then in the short term it doesn't overly impact us.

But it does mean that we'll be in the position of having to either hand him a new contract, sell him next summer for less again than was offered this season, or accept that we'll lose him for free the following year. None of which are particularly enticing prospects.

Delighted if he stays, fantastic player to have in the squad.
Liked him ever since he’s made his debut on that cold windy night in Seville.

He scores goals galore!

Or the manager.
Yes! The third Scot to bring to European cup to Old Trafford, it is written in the stars.

McTomminey isn’t a squad player here, he’s a regular starting midfielder. Always has been. Therein lies the problem.

McTomminey (sic) hasn’t always been and isn’t always a regular starter here. That is BS.
And what’s really tragic is he will continue to feature regularly in the first team. Just beggers belief how he’s managed to play so many games.
Beggars and managers believe it, and he has managed it. It must be a really subjective tragedy affliction affecting people with their expectations less tuned in to reality than beggars and managers.

I read somewhere that he's scored 12 match winning goals for us. And I'm more worried about Casemiro staying and being our starter, guys a ticking time bomb.

Delighted if he stays, fantastic player to have in the squad.
Liked him ever since he’s made his debut on that cold windy night in Seville.

He scores goals galore!

Yes! The third Scot to bring to European cup to Old Trafford, it is written in the stars.
When as different managers as Jose Mourinho, Ole Gunnar Solskjær, Ralf Rangnick and Erik Ten Hag likes you, ppluss a few Scottish NT managers, you’ve got to be doing something important right.

When hordes of unknowledgeable keypad warriors hate you, you must be doing something right as well.

If United can get Eriksen/Hannibal/Pellistri out before the deadline and pursued PSG to agree a sensible fee for Ugarte.

Then McTom gets to stay at United for another year and the manager gets to keep McTom and still get Ugarte.

Everyone is happy?

Lots of misconceptions in this thread.

An option year is ALWAYS more valuable to the club than a guaranteed year. It gives the club the right to an extra contract year when it's worth it to them, but the right to decline when it's not. We would never prefer to have someone for 2 guaranteed years than 1 + 1 option. Imagine if he gets some massive injury this year, for example.

We haven't exercised it because there's zero reason to do so before the deadline. That way, if McT has an injury that keeps him out all next year or just massively declines we can just refuse to exercise it.

Our bargaining position will be worse next summer, as right now we effectively control McT for 2 more years. I don't see that as a massive issue though; he's worth something to us being on the roster this year. If we get one more year out of him and then sell him for £15M next summer, that's not so much worse than selling for £20M but losing control right now.

Totally wrong. McT's wage is super reasonable; only £60k a week. Skipp earned £40k at Spurs. Goretzka earns £300k a week. This is all available in a quick internet search....

McT's "problem" is he's not a great player. He's solid, which is why he got a £20M offer from Fulham, but he's not a starter on a top Prem team. Solid squad players are worth £15-25M these days (see AWB or Mazraoui for recent examples).

Last edited:
Reactions: golden_blunder
We are stupid to have rejected 20m from fulham, a player most clubs don't even rate.

Now no club is even going to pay 20m now.

Status
Not open for further replies.