McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep unless we can get good offer around 30mil. He is a useful squad player and we need to change our image as clown when come to selling players.

I think that fee is fair enough. Hopefully they can sell Osimhen, and raise enough for Scott and Jadon.
I'm reading Leicester have bid in excess of £20 million for Oliver Skipp
McT has been employed at times as a defensive midfielder and a central midfielder. Only in last season or so has he been more advanced.

This tells its own story. They’re prepared to sign skipp and McT is available…but they don’t want to.

He’s garbage.

Take the money and get rid

Keep unless we can get good offer around 30mil. He is a useful squad player and we need to change our image as clown when come to selling players.
He really isn't whatsoever, be a decent signing for someone like Brighton or West Ham. Not a player you should have in your squad if your trying to get top four, never mind talking about winning premier Leagues or champions leagues again. If 20 million allows us to get Ugarte he should be sold.

Napoli director Manna: “McTominay and Gilmour are very good players… but they’re not out players so, no comment”.

“Full focus on the game and then we will focus again on transfers”.

This looks like it is heating up...I think McTominay will be off and a deal closed by the end of the window

Refusing reasonable bids for some of our only sellable players only for their value to decrease each season whilst preventing us from having the funds to buy players now that bring more balance to our squad is not going to dispel our image of being clowns in the transfer market.

If we can get £25 million now we should take it so we can actually get some reinforcements in MF.

By far our biggest issue with selling is buying poorly and putting players on wages that are far too high, which prevents us from selling them down the line when they flop. And that’s certainly not the case here because Scott’s one of the only players on reasonable enough wages that we might actually be able to sell him. We’re just not going to be able to sell for the amount some fans want because the interest simply isn’t there for him at those higher valuations.

Last edited:
Madness that clubs would play £20m for a player like skipp but won’t pay even 25 for mctominay. Do they not rate him at all?

McTom isn't going this summer.
He'll start 25 games for us this season.

Lord, I hope not. That sounds like another season outside of the top 4. This is his last year under contract, so we need to move him.

Heh, bidding war? We should ask for 40m
Just kidding

Pulling Fulham’s pants down twice within the space of a week.

I actually think McTominay would be a good get for Fulham. He’s not a bad player as a 10 for a counter attacking club. He’s tall and good in the air. He’ll put in a shift game in and game out. He just doesn’t have the ability to play for a top 6 club that wants to be ball dominant. I think Fulham would be smart to sign him, and it would obviously be a win for McTominay (as he’d get a lot more game time) and United.

I actually think McTominay would be a good get for Fulham. He’s not a bad player as a 10 for a counter attacking club. He’s tall and good in the air. He’ll put in a shift game in and game out. He just doesn’t have the ability to play for a top 6 club that wants to be ball dominant. I think Fulham would be smart to sign him, and it would obviously be a win for McTominay (as he’d get a lot more game time) and United.
Yeah I was half joking. They would certainly be doing us a massive favour with this one, though.

Is it generally accepted that the fee received would go towards a bid for Ugarte?
Honestly think that's just a lie. We've apparently offered 42M for Ugarte which is the max we should go, really. I suspect the money would most likely go towards another midfielder. Or maybe a LB

Honestly think that's just a lie. We've apparently offered 42M for Ugarte which is the max we should go, really. I suspect the money would most likely go towards another midfielder. Or maybe a LB
This only makes sense if the other midfielder we go for is more expensive than Ugarte.

I think selling McT can help us finance Ugarte, perhaps with the same or similar original fee but with an ability to frontload the payment terms and push it over the line.

I’m tempted to agree, but haven’t they just signed Smith Rowe to play this role? Pereira, who has been really good for them, is having to play deeper to accommodate him as it is.

If Fulham are bringing in McTominay with a view to replacing Pailinha then they’re way off the mark.

He started 27 games last season with all the injuries and before signings like Zirkzee. If he stays, he will get around 15 starts in all competitions like he did in 22/23.

Last edited:
I get the feeling Ugarte is who we bring in once he goes.

Yeah there has been zero noise about us signing more than one midfielder which is telling, shame really because will give us flexibility and the opportunity to rotate the likes of Mainoo

He started 27 games last season with all the injuries and before signings like Zirkzee. If he stays, he will get around 15 starts in all competitions like he did 22/23.

I don’t know about that. If we land Ugarte and bring Amrabat back, we’d have a lot more depth than last year. Mount is currently healthy and Collyer will get some time in cup games. Still have Casemiro. McTominay would really need a few injuries in the midfield to see double digit starts imo.

This only makes sense if the other midfielder we go for is more expensive than Ugarte.

I think selling McT can help us finance Ugarte, perhaps with the same or similar original fee but with an ability to frontload the payment terms and push it over the line.

Care to throw a name forward for more expensive?

Yeah there has been zero noise about us signing more than one midfielder which is telling, shame really because will give us flexibility and the opportunity to rotate players

We don't need more than one unless Eriksen leaves too, no squad room.

Casemiro will be brilliant this year, Mainoo will improve too. I would like to see Eriksen leave even on a free but I doubt that will happen.

With Skipp going for £20m McTominay is absolutely worth more than that.

Selling McTominay, assuming we sign ugarte, leave us with

Casemiro, Ugarte, Mainoo, Mount, Bruno. (Eriksen?)

It's a little bit light I think. Theres a good squad planning succession there. Eg Casemiro out next summer and replaced with a younger target, then a new player, mainoo, ugarte, mount, bruno is a good age profile.

But 5 bodies for the middle runs a risk, and McTominay does offer something a bit different. I think he's a useful squad player. I don't know enough about Collyer but maybe he's good enough to step into a squad role? I would have wanted Ugarte without McTominay leaving

Selling McTominay, assuming we sign ugarte, leave us with

Casemiro, Ugarte, Mainoo, Mount, Bruno. (Eriksen?)

It's a little bit light I think. Theres a good squad planning succession there. Eg Casemiro out next summer and replaced with a younger target, then a new player, mainoo, ugarte, mount, bruno is a good age profile.

But 5 bodies for the middle runs a risk, and McTominay does offer something a bit different. I think he's a useful squad player. I don't know enough about Collyer but maybe he's good enough to step into a squad role? I would have wanted Ugarte without McTominay leaving

What about Berge/Rabiot/Amrabat as well

What about Berge/Rabiot/Amrabat as well

Ya maybe thats what would make sense. From those 3 rabiot is maybe the best fit were we to also get ugarte, but his age works against him a little. McTominay out, and Ugarte +1 would be amazing, but if it's McTominay out and just Ugarte, we might be asking a huge amount of the others for a season we're in europa.

Status
Not open for further replies.