McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’d do well for them but all Italian teams are broke so not sure how they’ll afford him. They better not offer a loan!

"Napoli are thinking seriously about McTominay, with the total approval of the boy who for the moment intends to give priority to De Laurentiis' club"

A question.

How is Thomas Soucek a better player than Scott at this stage? Soucek does even less midfield work than McT, is less mobile and I would say an inferior passer. He is the best in the league in the air in both boxes, that would be his key attribute but is really quite a limited player outside of that.

Does his elite aerial game make up for that?

A question.

How is Thomas Soucek a better player than Scott at this stage? Soucek does even less midfield work than McT, is less mobile and I would say an inferior passer. He is the best in the league in the air in both boxes, that would be his key attribute but is really quite a limited player outside of that.

Does more defensively, but other than that, he isn’t. Probably why Moyes wanted McTominay last summer.

A question.

Wait…are we replacing Mctominay with Soucek? :lol:

Wait…are we replacing Mctominay with Soucek? :lol:
'Of course not, I just find it an interesting comparison given how many on here act like Scott is some Championship level player who has fluked a career in the PL, real lack of perspective.

'Of course not, I just find it an interesting comparison given how many on here act like Scott is some Championship level player who has fluked a career in the PL, real lack of perspective.
West Ham is where he should have over 100 starts, not Manchester United.

I think if we get north of £20m for him from Napoli I’d be happy enough especially given he’d be moving abroad too.

He’s an honest, hardworking lad and I think he’d enjoy playing abroad.

Nothing but good will towards him whatever happens.

I know this won’t be popular but I genuinely think we should keep Scott. Yes, he should not be starting for us but as a squad option to help see out games, grab a goal when we’re struggling and provide a different outlet there are not many better. A lad that gives 100%, loves the club and has leadership skills is worth more to us than 20 million at this point!

McT and Conte are a perfect fit and I wouldn't doubt Conte's ability to maximise a limited player's abilities for the team. Also if Conte has identified professionalism as a concern at Napoli then he's the perfect player to bring in.

~£20M depending on the financial structure is fair.

I wouldn’t be rushing him out the door unless we can bring in a much better player in his place. And Eriksen should be sold long before McTominay. People might not especially like his skillset but when used properly it’s very effective (at times).

I know this won’t be popular but I genuinely think we should keep Scott. Yes, he should not be starting for us but as a squad option to help see out games, grab a goal when we’re struggling and provide a different outlet there are not many better. A lad that gives 100%, loves the club and has leadership skills is worth more to us than 20 million at this point!

Depends how it affects to our midfield signings like Ugarte. If we need to sell first, then we have to sell McTominay. IF some club is seriously interested and ready to pay 20M plus.

I wouldn’t be rushing him out the door unless we can bring in a much better player in his place. And Eriksen should be sold long before McTominay. People might not especially like his skillset but when used properly it’s very effective (at times).

Difference is, McTom has much more value on resale, so if we wanna bring another midfielder in, McTom is the obvious candidate.

Home grown player so pure profit for the £20m+ we’re looking for. No one pays that for Eriksen and seems like we need some funds in before we push forward for Ugarte (or ANOther).

I’m not saying McTominay is indispensable or anything, but if we sell him we better get someone who does the things he does well just as good. For all his deficiencies he’s also one of our most aggressive players in the oppositions box. If there’s a loose ball in the box, I trust him almost as much as anyone else on the team to get to it and have a shot on goal.

I’m not saying McTominay is indispensable or anything, but if we sell him we better get someone who does the things he does well just as good. For all his deficiencies he’s also one of our most aggressive players in the oppositions box. If there’s a loose ball in the box, I trust him almost as much as anyone else on the team to get to it and have a shot on goal.
Sooo we should sign a striker then?

Changed the game when he came on again. Really hope the team sees sense and he is retained with an extended contract

Changed the game that we pretty much dominated after the 10 minute mark and would have won by about 3 or 4 if we could actually hit a barn door?

Maybe Nice could, wink wink
Same rules that applied to us with Todibo would apply to Nice unfortunately, it's all a pile of BS though when you look at the Savinho move to City most recently.

Nothing against the guy and I really love the attitude and energy he brings, but he doesn't offer like-for-like cover for Casemiro or Mainoo and I think that's the issue. He's not a DM, nor a midfielder that will act as the conduit between attack and defence with his passing and that's sort of what we need right now.

He's a good player and I think he'll do great and be a starter wherever he goes (which is what's best for him), and the club can also acquire a player that suits our system more - win-win for both sides?

Changed the game that we pretty much dominated after the 10 minute mark and would have won by about 3 or 4 if we could actually hit a barn door?

Yep, 0-0 when he came on, 1-0 when he left. Another three points thanks to great Scott

For about 5 seconds I thought he scored the winner. Saw him swing a leg and then the ball was in the net.

I think if we get north of £20m for him from Napoli I’d be happy enough especially given he’d be moving abroad too.

He’s an honest, hardworking lad and I think he’d enjoy playing abroad.

Nothing but good will towards him whatever happens.
He is very professional and hardworking off the pitch probably as well. But that should be the default state. On the pitch his workrate is average, nothing more. Fred was hardworking, not many called other players hardworking as long as he was around, but since then, it pops up for many players.

Sooo we should sign a striker then?
I mean the way ETH has employed him lately is almost like a striker. A lot of times he’s brought him on later in the match when we’re drawing or behind and asked him to push forward and try to get on the end of balls in the box. No matter where you stand on McTominay you have to admit he’s been pretty effective in this role.

He is very professional and hardworking off the pitch probably as well. But that should be the default state. On the pitch his workrate is average, nothing more. Fred was hardworking, not many called other players hardworking as long as he was around, but since then, it pops up for many players.
I agree it should be an expectation not a plus point.

I loved for example Martinez’s interview post match last night where he said words to the effect of I’ll play anywhere do anything for this team.

Mctomminay's feasibility is only viable in games where the team is chasing a lead towards the 80 minute mark. That is not a desirable position for the team to be in consistently.

The replacement should be someone who will help the team establish a stronger foothold in the game to the degree Scott's typical influence becomes minute.

Not a player to bring on when reaching the full 90 but one who can instead be rotated around a key individual in the midfield from the start of a game.

I think that fee is fair enough. Hopefully they can sell Osimhen, and raise enough for Scott and Jadon.
I'm reading Leicester have bid in excess of £20 million for Oliver Skipp

I think that fee is fair enough. Hopefully they can sell Osimhen, and raise enough for Scott and Jadon.
I'm reading Leicester have bid in excess of £20 million for Oliver Skipp
Strange someone on here was suggesting that the reason so few other clubs were interested in him because they couldn’t afford to pay £20m+. And yet here’s Leicester doing exactly for some no mark. Surly someone will step up and pay £20m for such a great squad player and proven goal scorer?

How many of us would be against the club shifting most of the £25M generated from this sale to a 3-year Rabiot deal? I personally think it'd be great business.

For reference, McT is 28 this year and Rabiot 29.

Status
Not open for further replies.