McTominay (Out) | announced - signed for Napoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Conte loves a work horse. An honest player. His whole MO is getting the most out of a eclectic group of players he has cobbled together, who then don't work once he's left.

I could see why he wants McTominay. Could see him work in Italy similar to Loftus Cheek, just more in the goals side.
Napoli are already overbooked with forward players and LC is a great ball carrier and dribbler at least. McTominay makes little to no sense for Napoli right until you remember that Conte doesn't want human players, he wants robots who do what he tells them to do exactly how he wants them to do it. So he might actually look like a midfielder under Conte, since all he needs to do is memorize what passes to make and execute them, by rote. No actual decision making to be made on his part

Mct / Eriksen out
Ugarte / Berge in
Ability / balance wise, that would be great.
But does it add up financially? We'll probably get somewhere between £20-30m for McTominay, and 0-£5m for Eriksen. So likely around £30m income.

That's about the amount Burnley supposedly want for Berge, isn't it? And Ugarte's around £50m? So about £75m or so for the two?

Would those sales on their own be enough for two good midfield upgrades, or would we also need to sell Sancho, or a collection of lesser deals like Lindelof, Pellistri and Hannibal as well?

We won't sell him for £25m (though we absolutely should) and Napoli won't pay more. It's a weird fit anyway.

Napoli are already overbooked with forward players and LC is a great ball carrier and dribbler at least. McTominay makes little to no sense for Napoli right until you remember that Conte doesn't want human players, he wants robots who do what he tells them to do exactly how he wants them to do it. So he might actually look like a midfielder under Conte, since all he needs to do is memorize what passes to make and execute them, by rote. No actual decision making to be made on his part
Yeah, I think that's fair -- RLC is a stronger ball carrier and better around the middle third but McTominay has the better stamina and striking technique in the final third. Both equally very good in the air for midfielders and have big frames.

Agree with the rest of your post too: Conte is the type of manager to sign a bunch of players you just won't expect to do anything and then they fit perfectly into his system. ... Until he loses his mind 8 months later when the board doesn't back him on one point and he walks out the club

Ability / balance wise, that would be great.
But does it add up financially? We'll probably get somewhere between £20-30m for McTominay, and 0-£5m for Eriksen. So likely around £30m income.

That's about the amount Burnley supposedly want for Berge, isn't it? And Ugarte's around £50m? So about £75m or so for the two?

Would those sales on their own be enough for two good midfield upgrades, or would we also need to sell Sancho, or a collection of lesser deals like Lindelof, Pellistri and Hannibal as well?
Yeah I’m more just hoping this will be the case!

Salaries wise it would almost be like for like - and agreed about making up another £15m -£20mish with those 3 you have mentioned.

Whatever the equivalent of £25m is. We rejected £20m bid from Fulham, I don’t see why we would accept less or the same from Napoli.

We shouldn't have spurned the £30m that West Ham offered last summer but too late now

Even if we sell Mctominay, it seems to be very clear we do not value Ugarte at the price they are requesting. So would we just change the terms of the deal?

Perhaps we need outgoings in terms of squad room and money towards the deal.

We could take a lump sum of 20 million euros, get Ugarte with that paying a year (one installment) of his transfer and get him on lower wages.

We probably need to just make squad room and not be Chelsea, Eriksen needs to go too if we want to press.

Perhaps we need outgoings in terms of squad room and money towards the deal.

We could take a lump sum of 20 million euros, get Ugarte with that paying a year (one installment) of his transfer and get him on lower wages.

We probably need to just make squad room and not be Chelsea, Eriksen needs to go too if we want to press.

Yeah definitely feels like we need outgoings for both squad room and money towards new players

My mates dad who went to watch the open training for Naples came back and was absolutely shocked that they basically did zero work with the ball. His wing-backs are expected to, after coming off for 45 mins in their pre-season games, to go and do extra running. I think Conte would absolutely love a box crasher like McTominay the way he is planning to play. He's going to leave Lobotka and hopefully Gilmour at the back, and throw everyone into the box. I can very much see it happening to be honest and so does my Napoli supporting mate.

I may be wrong but I remember the Spurs players puking and dry heaving in pre-season during Conte's time there.

Can we still get that without Fulham though?
Honestly I would rather take the 20m from Napoli over Fulham. I don't want him scoring against us at any point. And I feel like he's going to do it and win a game against us in the future

Honestly I would rather take the 20m from Napoli over Fulham. I don't want him scoring against us at any point. And I feel like he's going to do it and win a game against us in the future
Could happen in Europe, either. At some point down the line. He's been a good servant, always gives it his all. Don't really wanna see him go, good as a back up player. However, 20m for him, you'd probably have to accept it to fund a better quality player.

I may be wrong but I remember the Spurs players puking and dry heaving in pre-season during Conte's time there.
Yeah, his fitness coach at the time was nicknamed "the marine" and I think they also set up the equivalent of the Navy seal bell they could ring when it got too much. That last bit may have just been lore though.

I actually thought he'd scored the winner at first and thought it would be typical of him.

What is it about certain United fans, can people not remember Sir Alex had a decent amount of squad players that people didn't rate but did a job.

Scott serves a purpose, he can change a game and score important goals. Why can't people just accept him as a squad option.

What is it about certain United fans, can people not remember Sir Alex had a decent amount of squad players that people didn't rate but did a job.

Scott serves a purpose, he can change a game and score important goals. Why can't people just accept him as a squad option.

Because we need money to fund signings, if we didn't then it would be a different matter

Changed the game when he came on again. Really hope the team sees sense and he is retained with an extended contract

Status
Not open for further replies.